RE: drinking cellar mistakes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Smaragd -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/12/2018 9:13:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

quote:

some *gasp* common sense entering my decision making

Is that something to do with being hit over the head by a bored wife?

The evil eye works just as well. Plus realizing that spending stupidly lessens the amount of funds for the really good bottles.

quote:

ORIGINAL: barolo300

I cook with these... often improves the dish and my cellar!

Yeah, baby!

[image]https://i.imgur.com/QqzPqZU.png[/image]

Beef stew is soooo much better after marinating the cubes in some unwanted Bourgogne or Cab.

See now, I had a coq au vin at Daniel Boulud's restaurant in New York last year, and I was sure it had been braised in a slightly oaky, OLD red wine. I thought to myself at the time OH! He's got a case of amazing but sadly over the hill bordeaux that he didn't know what to do with so they jazzed up the coq au vin with it! Brilliant -- lucky us.

Had the same dish there recently, and it was great but clearly made with a different gravy.

the_lovenest -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/23/2018 1:33:28 PM)

We had a reverse cellar mistake, we bought a case of a "cellar defender" and by the time we got to the last bottle it had turned a corner into something pretty delicious!

Smaragd -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/23/2018 2:58:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_lovenest

We had a reverse cellar mistake, we bought a case of a "cellar defender" and by the time we got to the last bottle it had turned a corner into something pretty delicious!

I've done this too! Doh! Powerful, fruity Italian wines on the decline can have moments of surprising elegance.

KPB -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/23/2018 5:01:46 PM)

I think my purchases are mostly very reasonable, given what I can learn from tasting and reading professional TNs. The mistakes are that some wines don’t age as well as they should! Which to me means “evolve to become genuinely thrilling”, not just “still seem young and lively after ten years.” But that kind of mistake, sadly, is common these days!

Smaragd -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/24/2018 4:22:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I think my purchases are mostly very reasonable, given what I can learn from tasting and reading professional TNs. The mistakes are that some wines don’t age as well as they should! Which to me means “evolve to become genuinely thrilling”, not just “still seem young and lively after ten years.” But that kind of mistake, sadly, is common these days!

Taking too long to age? That's not a mistake - or not the kind we're talking about!

Eddie -> RE: drinking cellar mistakes (1/24/2018 4:43:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smaragd

quote:

ORIGINAL: the_lovenest

I've done this too! Doh! Powerful, fruity Italian wines on the decline can have moments of surprising elegance.

Languedoc-Roussillon, too.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI