2016 Burgundy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

barolo300 -> 2016 Burgundy (1/11/2018 2:22:49 AM)

Hey all,

Yesterday I was lucky enough to try probably 80 or so Burgundy's from 2016 (with a few 13, 14 and 15 thrown in).

Here are my thoughts if anyone is interested.

2016 Chablis is great.
2016 Whites are generally all very good. Even some Haut Cotes were good.
2016 reds I tasted were embryonic and had that young bonbon thing going on and I would say quite different in general from what I discovered in 2015 EP.

Tasting various whites side by side, 16s reminded me more of 14s than any other. Real persistence, concentration and deliciousness with lots of structure to them.

I worry a little more for most of the reds I tasted - were the yields reduced so much that they have tried to get too much out of the grapes? Over-concentration? Most of the wines were not delicate... but again, they are so young and some were even tank samples.

In general of the reds I would say they are very good, but maybe missing the magic sparkle that 15s had. So if you buy certain wines every year you have nothing to worry about, you will be happy with them. And some wines which are often less exciting may have been more exciting than normal with low yields giving them real heft... tollot beaut's chorey-les-beaune was very good and had more weight than normal.

My wines of the day were

Claude Dugat's 2015s - i mean, wow, these were ridiculously good. (but irrelevant to the 2016 discussion). The Bourgogne Rouge (serious bourgogne), Gevrey Chambertin and Gevrey 1er Cru (very impressive) were all wonderful. For the money, I guess I would go for the Gevrey-Chambertin (my brief note being: rich, long, serious, beautiful, 12%abv).

Albert Bichot's and Michel Noellat's.

My standout Chablis was the Vieille Voye by Domaine Laroche - but all of their wines were great, loads of stuffing to them!
Micro-negociant David Moret's wines were all very good too (whites).

I enjoyed the whites of Chateau de Santenay - the Clos de la Chaise Dieu, Mercurey 'Le Roc Blanc' and Saint-Aubin 'En Vesvau'.
Also enjoyed their reds - Mercurey 1er Cru Les Puillets, Beaune 1er Cru Clos du Roi, Alox-Corton 'Les Brunettes et Planchots'.
Jane Eyre's reds were very enjoyable too - the Cote de Nuits Villages + Gevrey-Chambertin.

Other wines I liked:

Domaine Long-Depaquit Chablis GC Les Vaudesirs and GC La Moutonne
Domaine Guy Amiot Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru La Maltroie
Domaine du Pavillon Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches

Domaine Michel Noellat Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru Les Boudots, Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Les Suchots and Les Beaux Monts. From the 2015 and 13s I also enjoyed the Beaux Monts.

Then I was lucky to taste Albert Bichot's Clos de Vougeot, Charmes Chambertin, Bonnes Mares and Chambertin. The Chambertin was very structured and austere, the Charmes was perfumed and delicate and the Bonnes Mares somewhere in between. For the money I would take the Charmes Chambertin even though it will probably live half the time of the Chambertin... who has the patience!

RobRah -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/11/2018 7:41:22 AM)

I attended the Stannary tasting on Tuesday this week, with an extensive range available.

I found a great deal of excellent, very pretty, gluggable fresh fruit in most wines. Fragrances were normally allurring, charming, and beautiful. Not infrequently arresting and persistent. Tasting was largely extremely pleasant due to the sheer deliciousness of many wines already at this stage (though obvious they will close up). A lot of reduction present, but at the moment (apart from an older vintage of Gouges also opened to taste!) did not present any real concern to me. The generic Bourgogne from major producers and the village level wines were more often than not extremely pleasant drinks indeed, if uncomplicated. Anyway, the more useful of my notes are on CT, but I also found Hudelot-Noëllat to be very consistent and good, as was Taupenot Merme.

Occasionally I wondered if the lovely fruit was being emphasised at the expense of depth, sometimes I wondered if the structure was really going to be supported once the young fruit matures. Occasionally I felt the producers had de-emphasised the fruit in favour of more structure, which did not convince me in most cases. My notes seem to find me liking the GCs and the Village wines, but finding many of the 1er Crus a bit overworked in some ways..... I may be mistaken in that as I did not taste a huge number of 1er Crus anyway. But in general the vintage is very good. it's not cheap, but apart from a few exceptions, compares to the 2015.

KPB -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/11/2018 7:02:42 PM)

I was just looking at an offering of high-end 2015 red burgundies, all in the $575-900/bottle range, on which I’ll pass. But in that context, I like the “gluggable” comment, albeit on the 2016 vintage. I suppose that if I had just invested in bitcoin a few years ago... but I didn’t....

S1 -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/12/2018 2:38:32 AM)

Thanks for the notes.
I wish I had access to similar tastings.

Robert Pavlovich -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/12/2018 3:43:56 PM)

I'd also expect the reds to be more variable, but some should be excellent. Advantage going to those producers who have enough volume to fill tanks. In some of these tiny parcel cases, we might see some declassification or special cuvees made.

I won't be looking to buy too widely but I plan to hunt down an assortment and have fun with them.

pclin -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/12/2018 9:34:03 PM)

So far only bought a 6-pack of Montille Taillepieds, still waiting for a few allocations to come in. Will not buy much this vintage, getting too old for this shxt.

RobRah -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/13/2018 1:54:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich

I'd also expect the reds to be more variable, but some should be excellent. Advantage going to those producers who have enough volume to fill tanks. In some of these tiny parcel cases, we might see some declassification or special cuvees made.

I won't be looking to buy too widely but I plan to hunt down an assortment and have fun with them.

The technique of fermenting under anaerobic conditions means most producers are also able to ensure that a par-filled tank/barrel is capped with the insulating gas and kept anaerobic. That said..... yes, the generic 1er Cru blends look likely to be a good bet in 2016, where producers blend various 1er Cru plots into one cuvee instead of bottling each seperately. Watch your appellation though, this would only be something which actually was hit by the weather to reduce the crop significantly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

So far only bought a 6-pack of Montille Taillepieds, still waiting for a few allocations to come in. Will not buy much this vintage, getting too old for this shxt.

I tried that on Tuesday. Very nice. Dense and not at all strawberryish. Good seamless texture. Will be a fine drink down the line. I flagged it as something for me to attempt to buy if I could not lay any hands on Lafarge Volnays.

pclin -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/13/2018 2:13:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobRah

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

I tried that on Tuesday. Very nice. Dense and not at all strawberryish. Good seamless texture. Will be a fine drink down the line. I flagged it as something for me to attempt to buy if I could not lay any hands on Lafarge Volnays.

Jasper Morris rated it highly and I respect his view on Volnay more than anyone else. Also trying to get hold off some Lafarge Clos du Chateau des Ducs.

RobRah -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/13/2018 2:45:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobRah

The technique of fermenting under anaerobic conditions means most producers are also able to ensure that a par-filled tank/barrel is capped with the insulating gas and kept anaerobic. That said..... yes, the generic 1er Cru blends look likely to be a good bet in 2016, where producers blend various 1er Cru plots into one cuvee instead of bottling each seperately. Watch your appellation though, this would only be something which actually was hit by the weather to reduce the crop significantly.

Given that what I just typed there...... I am receiving offers from some very niche 1er Cru sites as well, despite me presuming that they would be blended into a generic offering. I bit on a Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Au Closeau yesterday. I had never heard of the vineyard, it's not mentioned in the Clive Coates book, and the interweb only seems to think Drouhin-Laroze has any vines in it (!)

barolo300 -> RE: 2016 Burgundy (1/13/2018 3:08:01 AM)

I got the same email. I didn't bite... but do let me know what I'm missing in 5-10 years!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI