What determines a “cult” wine? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

[Poll]

What determines a “cult” wine?

Price
  9% (14)
Lengthy waiting list
  20% (30)
Feeding frenzy on release
  16% (24)
Flippability
  10% (15)
Nonstop “buzz” on wine boards
  8% (13)
Points from a heavyweight critic (are there any?)
  4% (7)
Rock star winemaker
  4% (7)
Scarcity
  17% (26)
Other?
  6% (9)

Total Votes : 145
(last vote on : 9/6/2018 7:32:21 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

S1 -> What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 4:36:52 PM)

Great question by WGDM in another thread.
How does a wine achieve cult status?

Multiple selections enabled

Chip Merlot -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 4:48:02 PM)

{It's the best wine you'll ever taste} + {You can't have any} = cult

mtpisgah -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 4:55:08 PM)

I went with lengthy waiting list, flippability, scarcity, and feeding frenzy on release (only applies to those who do not hold allocations).

I think waiting list and flippability are really the two tops reasons it is a cult.

CranBurgundy -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 5:07:24 PM)

All of the above. None of the above. The real question is:

Why does one brand elevate to Cult status while another with the same qualifications doesn't achieve it?

mtpisgah -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 5:12:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

All of the above. None of the above. The real question is:

Why does one brand elevate to Cult status while another with the same qualifications doesn't achieve it?

I think it helps if you always spell the winery in CAPITAL LETTERS.

CranBurgundy -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 5:16:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

I think it helps if you always spell the winery in CAPITAL LETTERS.

Where's the Like button when you need it? [:D]

Going in the opposite direction, another good sign that a wine has achieved Cult status is if you get booted from the list and demonstratively make the first letter of the name lower case instead of a capital letter just for spite (sour grapes if you'll pardon the pun).

skifree -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 5:18:17 PM)

Scarcity, high price, and perception that the wine is special (critics notes and scores, notes and scores from people you trust).

It is weird how price comes into this equation, no $40 wine is considered a cult wine even if it is limited production and is considered special.

dontime -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 6:02:05 PM)

For me it has something to do with how well the price holds up in the secondary market.

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 6:39:03 PM)

Does the quality of the wine even matter? Apparently not since it failed to be a poll choice.

KPB -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 6:42:40 PM)

There is only one cult wine, MacDonald.

DoubleD1969 -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 6:52:21 PM)

I’d add Scarecrow, Screagle, Rayas, DRC, Juge, and a No. Rhône producer whose name escapes me.

mtpisgah -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 6:57:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

There is only one cult wine, MACDONALD.

FIFY

Chip Merlot -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 7:18:16 PM)

MTPISGAH, you forgot to drop the mic.

CranBurgundy -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/30/2018 7:25:47 PM)

Okay, all this "sourcing" and "mic drop"ping needs to end. It's getting too expensive, and the feedback is hurting my ears.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Does the quality of the wine even matter? Apparently not since it failed to be a poll choice.

No, silly man, it doesn't really matter. Who buys cult wine to actually drink it? [;)]

jmcmchi -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 2:29:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

No, silly man, it doesn't really matter. Who buys cult wine to actually drink it? [;)]

True; otherwise price (and demand) would drop in a "poor" year ( or maybe an extra factor is "every year is a great year" - ooops, that is Bordeaux)

S1 -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 3:42:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

I’d add Scarecrow, Screagle, Rayas, DRC, Juge, and a No. Rhône producer whose name escapes me.

Gonon?
Allemand?
Clape?

SQN, Cayuse (at least Frog), Overnoy, maybe Pingus or Unico, Masseto, Giacosa singles, Saxum and Saxum maybe (although much of the buzz is fading), LOTS of Burgs which I can no longer afford.

Harlan, one of the original cults is pretty easy to find/easy list to crack

Star faded--Kosta Browne, Sea Smoke, Hourglass, Ovid, Futo

Some people would still consider Lewelling to be a cult wine (in spite of reasonable price) because it is such a difficult list to crack.

Franklin 10 -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 4:14:27 AM)

Feeding Frenzy and Flippability and not just for the fun alliteration.

The word “cult” has such negative connotations, I’ve never felt comfortable thinking of a desireable wine in that way.

While I’m sure the quality is assumed, its telling that it isn’t in the list of questions (a choice I agree with). I’ve gotten a lot of great ideas from this board and gotten on Cayuse list and purchased MACDONALD without tasting them but the same is true for most wines I get to age. Recommendations from a trusted palate are compelling, not frantic gushes or expectations of profit.

khmark7 -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 5:26:31 AM)

My perception/experience of Cult wines in the USA = overblown, overripe, overhyped, overscored.

jmcmchi -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 6:53:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

My perception/experience of Cult wines in the USA = overblown, overripe, overhyped, overscored.

add "overpriced"

wineismylife -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 7:02:42 AM)

What determines a cult wine? A bunch of wine goobers calling it a cult wine. [:D]

fingers -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 7:13:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Would have never guessed that Two Buck Chuck could make the poll [;)]

DoubleD1969 -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 7:20:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife
What determines a cult wine? A bunch of wine goobers calling it a cult wine. [:D]

Winner winner chicken dinner

KPB -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 7:29:19 AM)

MacDonald isn't overpriced. Just impossible to get an allocation. In fact, it being somewhat less expensive is part of the reason that we all thing that CranBurg is such a bastard for getting one. The SOB not only gets an allocation, but doesn't spend a fortune on it. Is this fair? Is this the way the world should work? Honestly: don't I deserve an allocation? I think so...

CranBurgundy -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 7:41:59 AM)

There are several better reasons to curse me other than merely getting on the MacDonald mailing list. [;)]

Besides, I share. I brought a 2014 to a Ct CT offline, and we are swapping a bottle one day when our paths cross.

PinotPhile -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 8:07:56 AM)

Glad we could choose multiple options. Mine were price, lengthy wait list, scarcity, feeding frenzy. Looks like I'm within the general consensus.

And, cult wines are something I generally avoid. So many well-priced options out there. There's always an exception, but quite rare from the frugal corner.

CranBurgundy -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 8:58:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PinotPhile

And, cult wines are something I generally avoid. So many well-priced options out there.

Usually, I'm in agreement with you. There are quite a few reasonably priced wines that my wife and I thoroughly enjoy which are under $50 a bottle. It's great to see the insanity has left Rieling and Vouvray untouched so far. You can drink world class whites from JJ Prum, Huet, JC Pichot, Max Ferd Richter, and others in the $20 to $40 range. The only exceptions for us are a couple of Burgundy producers, and for me there's a few $75 to $175 Cali Cabs (since my wife isn't a fan of tannic reds), of which I've bought less and less of each year.

Wine Grove -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 11:50:36 AM)

Based on the Options, my opinion is SCARCITY (or low production) is the most important factor. No wine could be "cult' with a lot on the market. then a combo of Quality, Wait time, Price,and perception.

I agree with SKifree

KPB -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 1:27:51 PM)

Seriously, to me cult needs to connote an insider-community with arcane handshakes and other special knowledge/access. The cultists can feel special as a result. Secrecy is also a property of many cults -- those who know, smile but don't comment in public.

So beyond that, sure, the wine may be scarce (but some aren't), may or may not cost a fortune. Yet to me there are many scarce expensive wines, like DRC La Tache or Leroy Richbourg, but this doesn't cause them to be cult wines.

There is also some element of fanaticism involved. I for example am a Rayas fanatic. The wine is widely known, scarce and expensive, but even so, not allocated in a controlled way. Too expensive for my normal wine budget. Yet I do sometimes seek it out and buy it to feed my obsessive habit. JL Chave too (both Blanc and Rouge).

CranBurgundy -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 1:27:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine Grove

Based on the Options, my opinion is SCARCITY (or low production) is the most important factor. No wine could be "cult' with a lot on the market.

I offer Shafer Hillside Select as a counter argument. Schrader (or schrader, as those who have been booted from the list call it) isn't exactly scarce either. The owner used to put some of his bottles on the secondary market himself, just to take advantage of the frenzy (or so the story goes).

mtpisgah -> RE: What determines a “cult” wine? (8/31/2018 3:58:37 PM)

[image]http://i.imgur.com/SFchpng.jpg[/image]

Cults are unicorns.

One of the LWSs had HSS for $310 right now.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI