Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Pianist718 -> Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? (11/9/2018 3:10:04 PM)

Hi all,

I am looking to stock up a bit on futures wine. Curious to know what you are buying this month (or recently). I am specifically looking at Bordeaux and Napa cab heavy wines. Budget .... under $70/bottle.

Thank you.

S1 -> RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? (11/9/2018 3:15:12 PM)

Lewelling and Schrader are both pay-ahead Napa Cabs but I'm pretty sure both have lengthy waiting lists.
oops--Schrader is way north of 70 bucks

CranBurgundy -> RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? (11/9/2018 3:23:46 PM)

Lemmesee.... Pre-ordered some '17 Prum Graacher Himmelreich (is anyone surprised?) a while back, and some '12 Prum Graacher Himmelreich (late release from Prum).

It isn't Bordeaux or Napa Cab, but it does meet the under $70 per bottle criteria. [;)]

KPB -> RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? (11/9/2018 3:38:09 PM)

You would probably be happy with wines like Meyney, Gruard Larose, Talbot, La Lagune.

KPB -> RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? (11/9/2018 3:44:09 PM)

PS: Neal Martin has a whole article on 2016 Bordeaux and in fact his focus was below your price point. Some of the top ranked wines in that article included Bibian, Tayac and Haut Marbuzet. The ones I mentioned are reliable strong producers, but I haven't tasted the 2016 versions. You would be priced out of the very top of the market.

CellarTracker's main database has a way to sort wines by price and then by score. So you could search for 2016 Bordeaux, look within your price range, and see what people are saying. There are already a fair number of TNs.

skifree -> RE: Hot Futures (Pre-Orders) you're buying this month? (11/10/2018 9:56:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pianist718

Hi all,

I am looking to stock up a bit on futures wine. Curious to know what you are buying this month (or recently). I am specifically looking at Bordeaux and Napa cab heavy wines. Budget .... under $70/bottle.

Thank you.

Hmmm, not sure how to answer this but will try for Bordeaux. The only thing I bought recently was 2015 Larrivet Haut-Brion, which I had at the Union des Grand Crus (UGC) tasting of the 2015 vintage in SF last January and loved. It was under $40, and had the freshness and pure fruit of the 2015 vintage and the minerality I love of a Pessac-Leognan.

The stores I use have mostly 2017 Bordeaux for futures sale, but I bought the high end for that year - the April frost hit some of the sites away from the river quite hard. Total Wine has a nice list for sale here Total Wine Futures Sale along with reviewer notes. They have Leoville Poyferre, which I bought.

The best recommendation I have is to buy some 2015 in bottle right now, try it, and see what you like. I restocked my daily drinkers with 2015 Bordeaux under $25 (Poitevin, Clos du Roy, Fourcas Dupre, Haura, L'Argenteyre, Les Cruzelles) as it is an early drinking vintage. Can also recommend Dauzac from Margaux and Carbonnieux from Pessac for 2015. As for 2016, which is an exceptional vintage in Bordeaux, I think the UCG is coming to NY in late January, and you can try LOTS of 2016's in a few hours - and decide what you like.

Finally, if you really want futures, suggest finding a local retailer who will offer the 2018 vintage this coming spring - like 2016 it is an excellent vintage. See this: Gavin Quinney 2018 vintage. But if you do want to buy 2016, I just checked and Flickinger's still has lots of futures for sale, including lots under $70

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI