What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

markandsusanw -> What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/4/2021 3:53:16 PM)

So we don’t have a walk in cellar so can’t store our Cayuse or Horsepower in the original wooden crates if we want to keep it in a temperature controlled place which, all things considered, seems more important than the wine crate, since we aren’t buying to re-sell, though we don’t plan on opening these bottles for many years. So what would you suggest doing with the crates?

JohnNezlek -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/4/2021 3:54:49 PM)

Hi Mark,

Send them to me. [:)]

John

ChrisinCowiche -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/4/2021 3:59:00 PM)

Lots of places use the panel with name/logo as a wall paper type decoration. A few other ideas, charcuterie boards, hamster cages, kindling for the fireplace.

skifree -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/4/2021 4:59:27 PM)

If you have to store on the floor, the OWC comes in handy (as do Cayuse boxes, of which a bunch are on my floor right now). Otherwise, dispose of them as best suits you.

My cellar has two sets of racks that were designed to hold OWC's. Also, my racks don't quite go the ceiling, so I can store a single bottle depth OWC on the top (even a mag), so that has been my overflow for a while. But I still discarded a bunch recently.

Slye -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 7:23:43 AM)

We have a similar issue and am on the verge of recycling some, as we have a lot. But the three pack ones, we just stacked recently to make a side table for a chair. I also plan to use one of the magnum ones (i.e. Cayuse magnum OWC) to store things for my desk -- so pens, ink. I could see using them to organize CDs or floppy disks (if you use those anymore), or cards (birthday, thank you, etc.) Or as a toolbox. On that score, they could be used to store kitchen implements that might otherwise be thrown into a drawer. Lastly, to hold paper next to a printer. Curious to hear of other possibilities. But I have been holding on to many for a while -- it seems a waste to throw them out. But am now realizing that they are taking up space and if we have not used them in the last year or two (or more in some cases), then we probably wont be using them.

JohnNezlek -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 7:35:52 AM)

Dear Everyone,

I was not being sarcastic when I said "send them to me."

For various reasons, I need OWC. I do not care what size bottle, what vineyard, etc.

Of course, I would be happy to pay for shipping etc.

If I do not find a source for wooden cases, I will build some, unless any of you have any other suggestions.

John

PS I am presently in Virginia, zip 23061.

mtpisgah -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 8:00:16 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnNezlek

Dear Everyone,

I was not being sarcastic when I said "send them to me."

For various reasons, I need OWC. I do not care what size bottle, what vineyard, etc.

Of course, I would be happy to pay for shipping etc.

If I do not find a source for wooden cases, I will build some, unless any of you have any other suggestions.

John

PS I am presently in Virginia, zip 23061.

I was thinking shipping to Poland would be steep.

DoubleD1969 -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 8:10:05 AM)

I created a collage that I hung on the wall as an accent.

sastewart -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 10:48:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

I created a collage that I hung on the wall as an accent.

I am thinking of doing the same. I would love to see a photograph if possible.

DoubleD1969 -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 1:03:28 PM)

I used wood glue to attach the winery name to a 3’ x 3’ plywood.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/F8dwDLF/73-A182-E3-5-A8-A-472-F-A6-F3-1-E254-A936-C52.jpg[/img]

sastewart -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 1:52:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

I used wood glue to attach the winery name to a 3’ x 3’ plywood.

[img]https://i.ibb.co/F8dwDLF/73-A182-E3-5-A8-A-472-F-A6-F3-1-E254-A936-C52.jpg[/img]

Nice, Thanks!

motoring -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 2:28:40 PM)

we had the ceiling of the cellar covered in metal, and did this

[image]https://i.postimg.cc/fypzhc63/20211105-142503.jpg[/image]

sastewart -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 6:21:48 PM)

Excellent, I could do a wall like that!

dad300 -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (11/5/2021 6:24:12 PM)

i need a bigger house! that looks fantastic!

DoubleD1969 -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (3/10/2023 8:13:01 AM)

Bird or Squirrel House

[img]https://i.ibb.co/QrFkg0Q/74-A8637-A-8017-48-A9-AC47-9-C7-F0-AEBAB21.jpg[/img]

khmark7 -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (3/10/2023 6:30:24 PM)

I've been using my OWC Bordeaux boxes for my pottery. They are easy to carry and sturdy when i transport my pottery & supplies from home to the studio.

Geerath -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (3/11/2023 1:01:15 AM)

If you have an investment strategy with your collection, I’ve found at times selling wines with original wooden crate can yield better returns especially with more high pointed mid lower tier bottles . So keep them in your loft / garage instead

sastewart -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (3/11/2023 9:02:05 AM)

I probably have over 100 Box ends. At some point they will make a great wall behind the bar when we remodel.

Echinosum -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (3/13/2023 7:56:26 AM)

A lot of mine have become general storage boxes for tools and bits of bicycle and gardening chemicals, etc.

Others have been split up and become kindling for the wood-burning stove.

Sean McGrath -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (3/28/2023 5:57:54 AM)

Similar to Echinosum: attic and garage storage, wine cellar, bookcase for college son, crates to hold kindling, the spacers inside always go as kindling, and sometimes the crates as well.

What I would really like is a better method of how to open the stupid things...

nwinther -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (3/30/2023 12:52:49 AM)

I remember having seen specialized tools, for this exact job. looking similar to a chisel, but flatter with a notch at the tip. Highly polished finish and some expensive-looking wooden handle and a similarly looking mallet. IIRC, there were some other smaller accessories that went along.

I don't, however, remember at what function I saw it. I think it was some very expensive wine that was to be opened very ceremoniously, and as the bottle was coming out of a crate, whoever was responsible apparently didn't want to be looking to struggle at the crate with a mere screwdriver and a hammer or with a crowbar.

It could have been specially made and looked very much like something for the wine lover who has everything - like a $2500 sharkskin corkscrew, gold inlay Port tongs, sterling silver Champagne saber etc.

jonathanknowles -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (4/10/2023 1:52:29 AM)

I just get rid of them, I unpacked some en primeur wine in the UK not to long ago and gave them away for firewood. I don't really understand the point of them. They look nice but I doubt they're the best for storage or transport.

sastewart -> RE: What Do You Do With Wooden Crates? (4/12/2023 1:54:16 PM)

I use them for offsite storage. They can stack at least 7 high without danger of collapse.

I've also broken down at least 60 cases, keeping just the labeled ends. I plan to do the wall behind the bar with them at some point.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI