Corked Tequila????? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

Blue Shorts -> Corked Tequila????? (5/27/2023 3:21:53 PM)

I opened a bottle of Don Julio Blanco tequila, poured myself a shot....and when I tried to drink it, there was a foul smell....a smell that reminded me of corked wine. I didn't realize that TCA can be a problem with tequila......until now. The Don Julio tequila has a natural cork and it definitely smelled like corked wine. The flavor of the tequila was off, too. I tried the Saran Wrap trick, and it did help it somewhat....and also confirmed my suspicion that it was indeed TCA.

Has anyone every run into this issue with tequila or other spirits?

KPB -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/27/2023 6:52:48 PM)

I’ve definitely had this happen, although not with tequila. Most recently, it was actually a box of blueberries. Basically, TCA is produced by a family of molds and they grow on almost anything if conditions are right.

Eduardo787 -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/27/2023 9:09:51 PM)

I have never heard something like that with tequila. Could it be the cork perhaps ?

arthrovine -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/27/2023 10:10:59 PM)

Indeed! I’ve experienced TCA with bourbon: Blantons and Eagle Rare. I’ve had it with Don Julio as well.

KPB -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/28/2023 8:54:45 AM)

These molds grow on many surfaces. Cork, for sure (and many spirits have a cork). But they can grow in barrels, like when aging Anejo Mezcal, or even in the equipment used for roasting the agave and fermenting it. Same family of fungi that you see on the walls in a locker room or laundry room. In fact they can grow in an empty glass bottle if it isn’t perfectly clean and has some moisture.

KPB -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/28/2023 8:57:00 AM)

And I’ll add that I’ve run into TCA in paper coffee filters and cups, bicycle water bottles, and even in the cups in the bathroom for brushing my teeth! The family of molds that can produce this stuff is huge.

Blue Shorts -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/28/2023 9:20:18 AM)

quote:

Could it be the cork perhaps ?

Yes. That's what I've been thinking. The Don Julio has a natural cork. I just assumed that the high alcohol content would prohibit the growth of TCA.

KPB -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/28/2023 9:26:27 AM)

What if the cork was already contaminated before the bottle was filled? Then even if the mold stopped growing, the chemical could leach into the spirits over a period of time (TCA is just a chemical, one that people are cursed with the ability to detect in absurdly tiny amounts, probably because moldy fruit often develops TCA and isn't healthy to eat...)

Blue Shorts -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/28/2023 11:35:05 AM)

quote:

What if the cork was already contaminated before the bottle was filled?

Agree. I ran into a corked bottle of this tequila a couple of years ago, but never made the connection to TCA. All I knew was that it didn't smell right and it tasted bad.

jcosindc -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/29/2023 9:35:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

I tried the Saran Wrap trick, and it did help it somewhat....and also confirmed my suspicion that it was indeed TCA.

Though I’ve not encountered this issue with any soirits, I seem to learn something new whenever I join these discussions. I had never heard of the Saran Wrap trick for TCA. The “research” appears to be hit-or-miss, but I’ll have to give this a try sometime.

jmcmchi -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/29/2023 10:38:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

And I’ll add that I’ve run into TCA in paper coffee filters and cups, bicycle water bottles, and even in the cups in the bathroom for brushing my teeth! The family of molds that can produce this stuff is huge.

I sometimes get a hint of TCA in mouthwash…..just the big name brand, with alcohol, plastic bottle…

wineismylife -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (5/30/2023 7:55:01 AM)

I got a corked bottle of Grey Goose once. It can happen.

gruqqt@gmail.com -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (6/1/2023 8:22:12 AM)

"If an agave worm dropped into a bottle was still wriggling by the time it reached the bottom, the tequila was safe to drink. If the worm died before it reached the bottom, the tequila was deemed unsafe for human consumption."

Blue Shorts -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (6/1/2023 12:08:31 PM)

quote:

If the worm died before it reached the bottom, the tequila was deemed unsafe for human consumption

"If the worm hits the bottom of the bottle and starts dancing, invite all your friends over....it's PARTY TIME!"

forceberry -> RE: Corked Tequila????? (6/3/2023 11:02:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eduardo787

I have never heard something like that with tequila. Could it be the cork perhaps ?

Of course it comes from the cork. That's why the term is "corked".

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

What if the cork was already contaminated before the bottle was filled? Then even if the mold stopped growing, the chemical could leach into the spirits over a period of time (TCA is just a chemical, one that people are cursed with the ability to detect in absurdly tiny amounts, probably because moldy fruit often develops TCA and isn't healthy to eat...)

Indeed this is the case. Corks don't turn magically into TCA-producing wine destroyers once they're placed in the bottle. The bark is corked (ie. it contains TCA molecules produced by funghi) way before it is made into bottle stoppers.

Apart from beverages stoppered with cork closures (including not just wine, but also cider, beers and spirits like whiskies, rums, cognacs, tequila, etc.) lots of things can be corked. Some of the most common corked things people might encounter in their daily lives are garlic (typically those that are bleached white with chlorine) and baby carrots (but who actually eats these?).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.201172E-02