UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

gruqqt@gmail.com -> UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/12/2024 10:19:48 AM)

Per 1/12/24 Mirror

"A long-delayed report on the Government's wine cellar shows the value of the collection has soared to £3.66 million. The figure is contained in a long-delayed stock-count published by the Foreign Office of bottles stored in the wine cellar at Lancaster House. The report revealed that in 2020 to 2021, at the height of the Covid crisis, £14,621 was splashed out on 516 bottles of red Bordeaux wines, costing around £28 each.

Claymonster -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/12/2024 10:28:30 AM)

Ha! The Foreign Office should be using CellarTracker with the privacy setting set to public.

DoubleD1969 -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/12/2024 11:32:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gruqqt@gmail.com
Per 1/12/24 Mirror

"A long-delayed report on the Government's wine cellar shows the value of the collection has soared to £3.66 million. The figure is contained in a long-delayed stock-count published by the Foreign Office of bottles stored in the wine cellar at Lancaster House. The report revealed that in 2020 to 2021, at the height of the Covid crisis, £14,621 was splashed out on 516 bottles of red Bordeaux wines, costing around £28 each.

I hope the British subjects aren’t up in arms over 28 quid per bottle or 516 bottles or the total. There are more serious areas of concern in the Royal spending. Lol

But perhaps the outrage may be that it was on French wines.

jmcmchi -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/12/2024 12:56:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: gruqqt@gmail.com
Per 1/12/24 Mirror

I hope the British subjects aren’t up in arms over 28 quid per bottle or 516 bottles or the total. There are more serious areas of concern in the Royal spending. Lol

But perhaps the outrage may be that it was on French wines.

The outrage was over boozy parties during lockdown -“partygate”

khmark7 -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/12/2024 7:25:59 PM)

Ytsai's cellar totally puts this to shame [:D]

Echinosum -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/13/2024 5:04:02 AM)

The cellar is for the purpose of state functions, especially entertainment of foreign delegations, etc. The idea is that they buy the wine young when it is cheaper, age it, and it costs less that way, at least for wine of quality. This would include banquets at Buckingham Palace, when those are official state events rather than the private events of the Royal Family. The King has his own cellar for the latter.

I think there has been a conscious decision of the government to serve more English wine. I believe it does now routinely serve English sparkling wine rather than Champagne, and if you choose well it is quite good enough for that. In theory we should now be about warm enough to grow what they were growing in the Loire 40 or 50 years ago, though i confess I am yet to see anything like those wines from English vineyards.

But with summer temperatures in London being about 3.5C lower than Lyon or Bordeaux, it will take quite a bit more global warming before England can grow anything that could really adequately substitute for claret and Burgundy. But people have recently been looking at soil structures to try and find good terroir for the time that it is warm enough to grow red wine in England. Parts of south Essex, to the E of London and N of the Thames estuary, not currently much of a growing area, seems to look good for pinot noir. It is also a particularly mild area of the country, because of the influence of the estuary.

There is a particularly strong tradition of drinking claret in England, because Bordeaux used to be an English possession. It came in 1137 when Henry II married Eleanor of Aquitaine, who in her own right controlled much of SW France. Though by the end of the 100 years war, English possessions in France were reduced to Calais.

mclancy10006 -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/13/2024 2:13:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

The outrage was over boozy parties during lockdown -“partygate”

In listening to that story on the US news at one point the way it was presented I thought the broadcaster was saying that was the name of the political party. Had a good laugh at that!

-Mark

penguinoid -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/14/2024 3:52:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Echinosum

The cellar is for the purpose of state functions, especially entertainment of foreign delegations, etc. The idea is that they buy the wine young when it is cheaper, age it, and it costs less that way, at least for wine of quality. This would include banquets at Buckingham Palace, when those are official state events rather than the private events of the Royal Family. The King has his own cellar for the latter.

Unfortunately, I think it's an easy target for political commentators to criticise the government on. It's easy to portray them as out of touch if they're spending money on wine, especially during hard economic times.

The same people would probably criticise the government if they did not have decent wines to serve visiting officials during state functions [8|].

In the absence of estates donating wine, I am not sure exactly what else the government should do [8|]

quote:

I think there has been a conscious decision of the government to serve more English wine. I believe it does now routinely serve English sparkling wine rather than Champagne, and if you choose well it is quite good enough for that. In theory we should now be about warm enough to grow what they were growing in the Loire 40 or 50 years ago, though i confess I am yet to see anything like those wines from English vineyards.

But with summer temperatures in London being about 3.5C lower than Lyon or Bordeaux, it will take quite a bit more global warming before England can grow anything that could really adequately substitute for claret and Burgundy. But people have recently been looking at soil structures to try and find good terroir for the time that it is warm enough to grow red wine in England. Parts of south Essex, to the E of London and N of the Thames estuary, not currently much of a growing area, seems to look good for pinot noir. It is also a particularly mild area of the country, because of the influence of the estuary.

There is a particularly strong tradition of drinking claret in England, because Bordeaux used to be an English possession. It came in 1137 when Henry II married Eleanor of Aquitaine, who in her own right controlled much of SW France. Though by the end of the 100 years war, English possessions in France were reduced to Calais.

England is increasingly making serious still white wines too, and those could complement imported wines at state functions. I've read that there are now some decent red Pinot noirs being produced -- but I've not had a chance to even visit the UK in recent years, so can't try them myself.

I suspect English still wines will become increasingly good over the next few years, but I can't see them replacing Bordeaux or Burgundy any time soon either.

dad300 -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/14/2024 4:44:34 AM)

as some may know I currently work for a retailer helping to run the Wine program. I had the opportunity to present a full sparkling tasting for the public.. we sampled everything from a de-alcoholized prosecco, a Corpinatt, some domestic sparkling and finished the tasting with a French NV Champ and English NV Sparkle. the two in question were the entry level Taittinger (la Francaise) and Digby Fine English sparkling NV.

My customers over a 5 hour tasting session loved the Digby.. sold twice as much as the Taittinger.

to me the Digby was what French champagne was before the grapes began to get as ripe as they are now.. Champagne in my opinion seems to be getter rounder and less linear..

penguinoid -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 1:30:58 AM)

Interestingly, the FT has a detailed article looking at the wines in the government cellar. Ignoring for a minute their odd bias against white wine and their (understandable but unfortunate) confusion of British wine and English and Welsh wine, the article in depth and quite interesting. They acknowledge help from CellarTracker in cataloguing the wines too.

One interesting point that most critics rarely notice is that the government wine cellar has apparently proven very good at picking wines that will increase in value, and they have also offset at least some of the cost of purchases by selling older wines that have increased in value -- at least, up until the pandemic. There is apparently the aim for the cellar to be self-financing, which would hopefully restrict the criticism somewhat.

jmcmchi -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 8:59:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid

Interestingly, the FT has a detailed article looking at the wines in the government cellar. Ignoring for a minute their odd bias against white wine and their (understandable but unfortunate) confusion of British wine and English and Welsh wine, the article in depth and quite interesting. They acknowledge help from CellarTracker in cataloguing the wines too.

One interesting point that most critics rarely notice is that the government wine cellar has apparently proven very good at picking wines that will increase in value, and they have also offset at least some of the cost of purchases by selling older wines that have increased in value -- at least, up until the pandemic. There is apparently the aim for the cellar to be self-financing, which would hopefully restrict the criticism somewhat.

True, as for the Oxbridge colleges’ cellars

But the fuss was not about the purchases/ holding of wine, it was about it being used at goverment parties during covid, when gatherings for ordinary people were strictly prohibited and punishable by fines. Boris, the PM at the time, was notorious for holding large parties, sorry meetings, where the booze flowed freely without penalty- hence partygate

Claymonster -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 10:45:32 AM)

quote:

Thanks for this! Since the FT used CT for the analysis, I figured they would've created an account to log the wines and sure enough I was able to find it. Here's a snapshot of the UK Gov's cellar: https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=959584

I have no wines in common with them.

recotte -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 10:52:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymonster

quote:

Thanks for this! Since the FT used CT for the analysis, I figured they would've created an account to log the wines and sure enough I was able to find it. Here's a snapshot of the UK Gov's cellar: https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=959584

Nice sleuthing! I have five wines in common:

2000 Château Gruaud Larose
2016 Dow Porto
2001 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve
1985 Graham Porto
1994 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto

penguinoid -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 11:30:45 AM)

quote:

But the fuss was not about the purchases/ holding of wine, it was about it being used at goverment parties during covid, when gatherings for ordinary people were strictly prohibited and punishable by fines. Boris, the PM at the time, was notorious for holding large parties, sorry meetings, where the booze flowed freely without penalty- hence partygate

Those were two separate political controversies.

The existence of the government wine cellar causes (mild) controversy every now and then, normally when a politician or commentator notices that the government is spending money on wine and decides to make a big deal out of it. It can look a bit out of touch, especially in difficult economic times -- e.g., during COVID.

The government wine cellars are for state dinners and government events where foreign dignitaries are entertained, and aren't used for private government events. The partygate parties were, I think, BYO booze events -- I don't remember reading that the government wine cellar was involved.

penguinoid -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 11:32:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Claymonster

quote:

Thanks, well spotted! I likewise have no wines in common with them. Sadly -- I'd like to be able to say I had a few bottles of the 1931 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage Port on hand [:(]

Ralphs Bar -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 11:58:29 AM)

quote:

Thanks, well spotted! I likewise have no wines in common with them. Sadly -- I'd like to be able to say I had a few bottles of the 1931 Quinta do Noval Porto Vintage Port on hand [:(]

Have you considered entering into a 700 year military treaty with Portugal? Maybe they kick some in.

penguinoid -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 12:18:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ralphs Bar

quote:

Have you considered entering into a 700 year military treaty with Portugal? Maybe they kick some in.

No, I must admit I'd not thought of it so far. I'd definitely consider it in exchange for a few select bottles of Port. A few bottles of the '31 Quinta do Nova and of the '48 and '85 Fonseca should do the trick. Does anyone have Portugal's secretary of state for defence's phone number?

jmcmchi -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 1:24:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

The existence of the government wine cellar causes (mild) controversy every now and then, normally when a politician or commentator notices that the government is spending money on wine and decides to make a big deal out of it. It can look a bit out of touch, especially in difficult economic times -- e.g., during COVID.

The government wine cellars are for state dinners and government events where foreign dignitaries are entertained, and aren't used for private government events. The partygate parties were, I think, BYO booze events -- I don't remember reading that the government wine cellar was involved.

I’m not as up on UK news as I thought….my bad[:)]

penguinoid -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 1:39:15 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I’m not as up on UK news as I thought….my bad[:)]

They'd be easy to mix up. I had to google them to double-check it wasn't my mistake. I tend to follow UK politics somewhat, since I grew up there and still see it as home.

xyc -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 2:05:38 PM)

I thought the Government cellar interesting because I worked with a Brit ex civil servant who relocated to a NYC job. One of his duties was entertaining foreign visitors and Windows On the World with Zraly's Wine Cellar in the Sky was his spot. I was a young it was the 1980s learning about wine and got to look at his expense reports, always $100+ Bordeauxs (names I recognized never tasted) the CEO never objected. One day I asked the Brit "Do you drink these at home?" " G*d no, I drink $7 Spanish plonk."

Few might believe it today but Manhattan banks headquarters in the 80s had private lunchrooms and wine cellars. Maybe they still do.

Echinosum -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 2:51:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: xyc
Few might believe it today but Manhattan banks headquarters in the 80s had private lunchrooms and wine cellars. Maybe they still do.

A small consulting company I worked for in London the 80s and into the 90s had a private lunch room and a cellar. I bought the wine for the cellar. It was perfectly common and normal to entertain clients and potential clients to lunch in those days.

it kind of faded out in the mid/late 90s.

jmcmchi -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 3:24:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: xyc

A small consulting company I worked for in London the 80s and into the 90s had a private lunch room and a cellar. I bought the wine for the cellar. It was perfectly common and normal to entertain clients and potential clients to lunch in those days.

True for the large partnerships as well- several client-only dining rooms of different sizes

Ibetian -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 5:27:33 PM)

I had lunch in some of those private dining rooms in the late 90s. The dot.com/tech crash of 2000 resulted in at least some being closed.

Paul852 -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/17/2024 5:56:44 PM)

For me it is interesting that over half the wines in that list are, according to the collective wisdom of CT, past the end of their drinking window.

I'm not sure if that says more about CT drinking windows or the House of Commons stoick management.

penguinoid -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/18/2024 2:56:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul852

For me it is interesting that over half the wines in that list are, according to the collective wisdom of CT, past the end of their drinking window.

I'm not sure if that says more about CT drinking windows or the House of Commons stoick management.

I don't cellar wine long term, so my experience is relatively limited, but -- I've often found the suggested drinking windows on CT to be a bit conservative.

I'd guess this is partly because such drinking windows are educated guesses, and partly because it does depend on personal preference for the period in a wine's ageing curve that you prefer to drink it.

As an example, CT suggests a drinking window of 1975-2010 for the 1955 Taylor (Fladgate) Porto Vintage. I also subscribe to JancisRobinson.com, and there are two notes from Jancis Robinson, both from 2013. One suggests a drinking window of 1975-2010 (with a rating of 19 points), the other suggests 1985-2025 (with a rating of 18.5 points). It is definitely an educated guess, and there's quite a bit of room for variability.

Given this, I guess it's probably safer to err on the side of suggesting a shorter drinking window than a longer one. If the government cellar's committee (including 4 MWs) are retasting the wines every year or so, I'd guess they are probably on top of what needs to be drunk when. It's also possible they are preferring wine with a more mature age profile than suggested by CT.

Tpety -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/18/2024 10:10:13 AM)

Each bottle is listed as a single bottle. Wouldn't state dinners require at least a case of each? Serving everyone a different wine seems challenging.

Claymonster -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/18/2024 10:25:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tpety

Each bottle is listed as a single bottle. Wouldn't state dinners require at least a case of each? Serving everyone a different wine seems challenging.

That would definitely be challenging. But the Financial Times author/analyst that recreated the UK gov's cellar in CT writes in the article that, "the [publicly available] Cellar datasets are rather wonderful, but — except in a few instances — they’re bereft of quantities." So although the CT profile created by the analyst/author only shows one bottle for each, there are definitely multiples of each. The article states there are approximately 32,000 bottles in the cellar. The CT profile lists 532 unique wines. That averages out to about 5 cases per wine.

Tpety -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/19/2024 6:07:08 AM)

That makes more sense- Thanks for the interesting Reserarch. I guess they aren't using CellarTracker for all the features it offers.

Eric -> RE: UK the Government's wine cellar contained 32,301 bottles of wine and spirits (1/19/2024 6:52:35 AM)

The UK Government is not using CT. A press writer imported some publicly available data to do some analysis.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI