What BEER are you drinking? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

grafstrb -> What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 10:38:48 AM)

Cooper’s - Sparkling Ale
Orval (never had this before ... will certainly have it again! Very atypical for a Belgian Trappist)
Monk’s Flemish Sour Ale
Left Coast Brewing Co.’s “Hopjuice”
Sierra Nevada - Torpedo IPA
Paulaner - Hefeweizen
Boddingtons
Stone - IPA

Serge Birbrair -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 10:44:36 AM)

Belgian. There are no substitutes!

[img]http://nocomments.com/2/London04/images/Belgo%20040.jpg[/img]

[img]http://nocomments.com/2/London04/images/Belgo%20033.jpg[/img]

RoundersRob -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 10:56:16 AM)

Newcastle. Preferrably on tap.

Khamen -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 10:57:33 AM)

Usually Henry's IPA from Wadworths, one of the local breweries round here

K

jhannah27 -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 11:02:43 AM)

I was at a new local Irish pub the other day that had Boddington's on tap. First time I have had it in quite some time. I always forget how much I love that stuff. So creamy and smooth. They go down just too easy.

NiklasW -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 11:22:54 AM)

Let's see if I remember what I drank in the last month or so... in Peru the best was Cusqueña, but also Franca, Cristal and Pilsen were drinkable. In Colombia, Club Colombia was number one, but also Póker and Águila went down and stayed down. In Brazil, the Brahma choppes, both light and dark, were excellent, otherwise it was Bohemia, Antarctica and Skol that rocked on the hot nights out in the bars... Mebbe not what you were after grafs, but that's what I was drinking and lots of it! [:)]

fingers -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 11:45:06 AM)

See..... right there in front of Serge  -  Chimay Blue Label

My favorite

Serge Birbrair -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 11:48:35 AM)

Fingers, I dunno about wine, but we surely share lots of other tastes in life :)

fingers -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 12:15:47 PM)

твиновские души, мой друг  

(I hope that worked. Could be embarrasing otherwise)[/align]

(Oh no! it should be
души!)

bretrooks -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 12:19:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

I was at a new local Irish pub the other day that had Boddington's on tap. First time I have had it in quite some time. I always forget how much I love that stuff. So creamy and smooth. They go down just too easy.

I've never really been a Boddington's for the same reason you enjoy it...  To borrow a quote from a friend of mine, "If it weren't for the texture, I'd think I was breathing." Then again, I've never had it on tap, just from a widget can, so I'm sure it's a much-inferior experience.

On another note, I was thinking about picking up a bottle of La Chouffe (or something like it) to have on Thanksgiving, to see how that paired up with some of the traditional fare.  Anyone else out there done this?  Suggestions for other options?  I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to the world of beer...

Oh, and the last beer I had was some Deschutes Brewery Mirror Pond IPA last Friday.

wallstreet -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 12:21:24 PM)

For the most part  NEWCASTLE. 

deb293 -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 12:52:45 PM)

You know, Newcastle isn't sold on tap in the UK.  Strictly for import, which means it's Pasteurized, fyi.

I like Newkie a lot, but one of my favorite beers is Kostritzer, and the Baladin bunch, from Italy.

grafstrb -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 12:56:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

quote:

I've never really been a Boddington's for the same reason you enjoy it...  To borrow a quote from a friend of mine, "If it weren't for the texture, I'd think I was breathing." Then again, I've never had it on tap, just from a widget can, so I'm sure it's a much-inferior experience.

On another note, I was thinking about picking up a bottle of La Chouffe (or something like it) to have on Thanksgiving, to see how that paired up with some of the traditional fare.  Anyone else out there done this?  Suggestions for other options?  I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to the world of beer...

Oh, and the last beer I had was some Deschutes Brewery Mirror Pond IPA last Friday.

I enjoy Boddington's -- just as much for the creamy mouthfeel as for its light taste -- it's a good session beer.

The Chouffe will be an excellent choice to pair with traditional Thanksgiving fare. A gueuze or lambic (both sour beers - kind of champagne-like) would also be a great pairing -- Cantillon is one of the world's greatest producers of such beers. Pretty much anything Belgian will work wonderfully with Thanksgiving fare - knock yourself out!

jhannah27 -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 1:09:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

quote:

I enjoy Boddington's -- just as much for the creamy mouthfeel as for its light taste -- it's a good session beer.

The Chouffe will be an excellent choice to pair with traditional Thanksgiving fare. A gueuze or lambic (both sour beers - kind of champagne-like) would also be a great pairing -- Cantillon is one of the world's greatest producers of such beers. Pretty much anything Belgian will work wonderfully with Thanksgiving fare - knock yourself out!

It's funny that you mention the lightness of the flavor of boddingtons, because I was thinking the same thing this last time I had it.  I wish that the flavor was turned up just a notch.  But then I have been into a lot of Belgians and more Hoppy beers lately, so that might be why I felt I was missing something this time around.  Still, I love it.

La Chouffe is a new found favorite of mine and I think it would be a GREAT beer for Turkey Day.  I especially like the Houblon Chouffe which is more of an IPA style, but still has that smoothness and richness of the la Chouffe.  Either way, you can't go wrong.

Oh...and that Mirror Pond IPA is really tasty stuff.  I think most stuff I have had from Deschutes has been good.

garethpowell -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 1:16:11 PM)

ummm let me think. A good Chimay Blu, which has unfortunately gone downhill in the last few years due to overproduction. Which leads me to Rochefort 8, 10 and 12 three incredibly delicious beers - the last of which makes a wonderful Christmas beer, incredibly deep and complex in its flavours and immensely long finish. However, the best beer in the world? For me without a doubt its Westvleteren 12 - you can only get it (officially) from St Sixtus monastery in Belgium near the French border. Its huge, chocolate, malty, cinammon and cloves. Ummmmmmmm I could smell the beer for days :-)

duck833 -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 1:26:16 PM)

Had a nice pint of Alphaholic IPA at lunch today at Hop Valley Brewery.  Paired very nicely with the spicey pulled pork sandwich.  Nice getting great brews made here in Eugene. 

jhannah27 -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 1:41:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: garethpowell

ummm let me think. A good Chimay Blu, which has unfortunately gone downhill in the last few years due to overproduction. Which leads me to Rochefort 8, 10 and 12 three incredibly delicious beers - the last of which makes a wonderful Christmas beer, incredibly deep and complex in its flavours and immensely long finish. However, the best beer in the world? For me without a doubt its Westvleteren 12 - you can only get it (officially) from St Sixtus monastery in Belgium near the French border. Its huge, chocolate, malty, cinammon and cloves. Ummmmmmmm I could smell the beer for days :-)

We did a beer tasting here for one of our OC Poker events and along with a couple of Chimays, La Chouffes and a Duvel, I brought some Rochefort.  I believe they were the 8 and 12.  My favorites of the day were the Houblon Chouffe mentioned above and the Rochefort 8.  So much flavor in that beer. 

mmmmm....now I need a beer!

jhannah27 -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 1:55:35 PM)

Anyone every heard of/had this beer before?

Gouden Carolus "Cuvee Van de Keizer Blauw"

Grafstrb so kindly gave this to me and I am super curious about it.  I found a tasting blog about it online.  Looks to be a Dark Belgian Ale in the style of the Dubbels and Tripels, similar to the Rochefort 10 and Westlevern 12. 

Here is the review.  Looking forward to it!!!

grafstrb -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 2:19:34 PM)

quote:

Anyone every heard of/had this beer before?

Gouden Carolus "Cuvee Van de Keizer Blauw"

Grafstrb so kindly gave this to me and I am super curious about it.  I found a tasting blog about it online.  Looks to be a Dark Belgian Ale in the style of the Dubbels and Tripels, similar to the Rochefort 10 and Westlevern 12. 

Here is the review.  Looking forward to it!!!

you are actually the proud owner of a more limited version of the beer reviewed in your link[:D]. Your beer is: 2008 Brouwerij Het Anker Gouden Carolus "Cuvee Van de Keiser" Dark Ale

Here's a bit of info. on it:
Cuvee van de Keizer 'Blauw' is brewed starting on the 24th of February in honor of the birthday of Charles the Fifth. This exclusive (and highly limited) beer is an adaptation of the traditional Gouden Carolus, with a fine palate of refined flavors and tantalizing aromas. A perfect beer to store, to give, and to taste, it is made from 100% Belgian hops. At 11% abv, you can be sure it is a serious beer worthy of contemplation, not to mention moderation!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying storing my wines in your locker![:D]

jhannah27 -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 2:26:43 PM)

Yeah I read somewhere else about the brewing process.

Oh...and it's the 2009  [;)]

You will be able to let me know what you think.  It is being saved for our next get together.  Whenever that may be.[:)]

wadcorp -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 4:03:01 PM)

[image]http://www.wadcorp.net/Images/Nelson/Nelsonica_KC2/PB010060_sm.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wadcorp.net/Images/Nelson/Nelsonica_KC2/PB010065_sm.jpg[/image]

tacman -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 6:42:58 PM)

What's "BEER"?

mocamro -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 7:30:31 PM)

most recent good beers I drank were @ The Trappist in Oakland...great place for people who like Belgians and American craft beers...next time you're in Oakland, I highly suggest you check it out

http://www.thetrappist.com/

the ones that really stuck out were St. Bernardus 12 and St. Feuillien Tripple

otherwise, the three breweries that have really stood out for me over the past few months have been Bear Republic (maker of Racer 5, but also some other really great stuff), Green Flash from San Diego (their Hop Head Red is pro'ly the best American red ale I've had), and 21st Amendment (was my last "wow" moment with a beer"

Paul S -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 7:46:17 PM)

Rochefort 8, 10 and 12  - BIG FAN

Has anyone tried the 14?

tourette -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/24/2009 11:13:21 PM)

Just tried the Black Butte Porter XXI today. Their 21st anniversary imperial porter. Quite wonderful stuff.

Generally I like really rich stouts and porters, especially imperials. I have been getting into Beligians as well lately.

My favorite brewery of all time is Bell's in Kalamazoo Michigan. Every beer they make is superb, and the half dozen stouts are all off the charts. I bring some home every time I visit the midwest.

Jeff

wallstreet -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/25/2009 12:27:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: deb293

You know, Newcastle isn't sold on tap in the UK.  Strictly for import, which means it's Pasteurized, fyi.

I like Newkie a lot, but one of my favorite beers is Kostritzer, and the Baladin bunch, from Italy.

I don't believe Keg beer is pasteurized. Only bottled beer. At least that was one of the things I was told during a tour of an Anheiser-Busch facility that made bud and michelob.  I could be wrong, but I believe that is what I was told during this facilities tour.

Either way, it WORKS FOR ME  [:D]      it is all good.

UPDATE : <edited>

Well I was right and I was wrong, it seems domestic keg beer is NOT pasteurized, but imported keg beer IS pasteurized.

found it here:
Kegs Domestic draft beer is not normally pasteurized, and so it must be stored at 38 degrees F in order to prevent secondary fermentation from occurring in the keg. Imported draft beers are usually pasteurized, and so the kegs can be stored at room temperature without negatively affecting the beer. For proper serving, and to ensure an appealing taste the imported kegs of beer must be stored and served at 38 degrees.
source:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer-edu/beer-pasteurization-aid-123.html

dickjokes -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/25/2009 2:23:00 AM)

I drink a lot of Rogue Brewery's stuff, as well as Ninkasi. Their Tricerahops Double IPA is one of my all time favorites. For Rogue I am big fan of their imperial line-up, specifically their I2PA. Deschutes just released their 2009 Abyss as well, a bourbon barrel aged stout. They usually sell out the second they release it but this year they doubled production so I was able to get my hands on some, it ages very well.

Colonel Lawrence -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/25/2009 3:48:49 AM)

It's always amused me how one countries best selling, expensive import is often the home countries cheap, daily beverage.

UK originally treated Bud as a premium beer (less so now) probably 6 times what you'd pay!
We got our own back charging you a fortune for Watney's Red Barrel (which had the ignominy of almost being saleable to children (it was that week).

I learned to drink Ale cold with Bass across the Golden Gate Bridge (turn left)

Best Ales in southern UK would certainly include Wadworths 6X and Brakspeares.

When in USA I would often drink Sam Adams (local) or St Pauli Girl (import).
There's something good on the west coast called something like Anchorsteam.

Now I wait to be told I'm drinking rubbish [;)]

My fav. lager beer in the world - Singha from Thailand.
(best test for a beer - is it still drinkable if it's not ice cold?)

L.

Serge Birbrair -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/25/2009 4:03:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

What's "BEER"?

Fingers, good job!

Beer is an alcoholic beverage you drink from the jugs,
just like those

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_e4SZORJjQdQ/So0yFvwIETI/AAAAAAAABCY/6e0amQG1klY/s320/Oktoberfest.jpg[/img]
:)

Colonel Lawrence -> RE: What BEER are you drinking? (11/25/2009 4:09:25 AM)

Probably an appropriate time to point out that our jugs are 25% bigger than American ones.
So don't be cheated ask for an English Pint!
L.

PS Now wait for the real Europeans to point out their's are even bigger than ours.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI