A New Forum? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion

nettl -> A New Forum? (9/6/2006 8:30:53 AM)

I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to split the existing main discussion forum into two.  At the moment this is a mix of on the one hand technical postings about loading data onto cellar tracker, barcodes, bulk loading etc and on the other general discussion about wine and tasting notes related discussions.  As the community grows there might be more scope for the latter and it might be worthwhile to provide a separate forum for it.  Indeed that might encourage more people to join the community.

nwinther -> RE: A New Forum? (9/7/2006 1:28:49 AM)

I would like to second that.

billz -> RE: A New Forum? (9/7/2006 12:16:26 PM)

Most discussions that get started about wine here get shunted to the eRobertParker site. But I think it would be great to discuss wine here. It's where my wine is, where my tasting notes are and where I spend most of my online wine time.

Excellent suggestion nettl!

Eric -> RE: A New Forum? (9/7/2006 12:36:14 PM)

Alright everyone. I have resisted this for a while, but let's give it a try. I just created a GENERAL DISCUSSION forum and also renamed the existing forum to focus more on CellarTracker support and Q&A.

mbannon -> RE: A New Forum? (9/7/2006 9:35:30 PM)

Whoa.  I didn't think Eric would ever give in on this one!  Okay, folks, let's try to keep things civil and self-patrolled, those were the two big sticking points that kept this from happening for so long.  Eric's got enough on his hands without having to patrol a snotty catfight.

Now that I've said that, let me just say...cool!!  I've been wanting a general "wine discussion" forum here for a long time!  Of course, only Burgundy drinkers should be allowed, since that's the only real wine...just kidding.  sortof.  (no really, just kidding)

Eric -> RE: A New Forum? (9/7/2006 9:50:02 PM)

Yes, as the forum description says, please, please, play nicely everyone...

By the way, I took the liberty of going back through about 3,000 old posts and porting about 400 to this forum. It's funny how many of the threads end with me telling people to go to eRP...

seanr7 -> RE: A New Forum? (9/8/2006 1:49:25 PM)

Great another wine BB now I will never get any work done.[image]http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/image/s2.gif[/image]

Glad you did this Eirc.

billz -> RE: A New Forum? (9/8/2006 4:22:37 PM)

Thanks Eric!

nettl -> RE: A New Forum? (9/11/2006 11:52:15 PM)

many thanks Eric

smokie -> RE: A New Forum? (9/19/2006 3:10:08 PM)

As cool as this is, I would like to bring up again the possibility of a "mini forum" on each wine, maybe just below the tasting notes section, or as a link.  It would be great to discuss a wine with people who actually have it or have tasted it! 

Colonel Lawrence -> RE: A New Forum? (9/20/2006 5:17:44 AM)

Kick us off smokie.  Eric has already proved he's open to ideas that gain wide support, as long as they don't clash with his central philosophy.  He can always move any thread you start to a new one dedicated to specific wines.
Start with a Bordeaux, otherwise I sure as hell wont be able to join in.
L.

PS  I fear the response may be less than you hope though, these boards are not that well trod.

Serge Birbrair -> RE: A New Forum? (10/6/2006 4:13:20 PM)

Halleluya!

It's about time!

I am happy we now have opportunity to discuss Tasting Notes and wines we post on CT!

ed -> RE: A New Forum? (10/7/2006 9:42:47 AM)

Excellent - so will we be able to post tasting notes here?

Serge Birbrair -> RE: A New Forum? (10/7/2006 11:30:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ed

Excellent - so will we be able to post tasting notes here?

I think posting link to the wine with ALL TN's on it will be even easier!

Eric -> RE: A New Forum? (10/7/2006 12:11:56 PM)

Yeah, it's an interesting question. One idea, discussed recently in another thread, is a way of me wiring the forum more directly into the main site so that people can start discussion threads attached to each tasting note. That's a whole bunch o' design and coding though. The 'publishing' model used on other boards doesn't make quite as much sense here. Also, this board isn't actually fully UBB compatible (it uses UL instead of LIST for bulleted lists). So as a test, here are last night's wines:
  • 1989 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (10/6/2006)
    Lots of blood, band-aid and iodine. Round, mature and ready to go. A lovely Pegau. (92 pts.)
  • 2003 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Crozes-Hermitage Domaine de Thalabert - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Crozes-Hermitage (10/6/2006)
    Simply lovely. Lots of lovely, funky bramble, and cherry. This has a lot of twangy, almost crunchy fruit and a bit of a Pinot Noir personality. Behind the cherry though definitely lurks a little smoke and meat, just hinting at what is to come. The palate is bright, acidic and loaded with nice minerality. This is not a heavyweight, but it is a lovely, clean and pure expression of Crozes in a ripe vintage. This will be really pretty and fun to watch over the next decade, and it is already a pleasure to drink. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

ed -> RE: A New Forum? (10/7/2006 2:22:10 PM)

Funny, you had the '89 Pegau. Joan and I had the '99 - it has a way to go but man was it good.

I think having the actual note in the post will be helpful AND a link back to all notes on that wine and perhaps other vintages of the same wine. There are a TON of cool things that could be done.

Better get to work Eric. ;)

Eric -> RE: A New Forum? (9/17/2012 12:20:05 PM)

Someone recently asked me when the General Discussion forum started, and I had to search in the database to figure out out. I thought it would be fun to BUMP this very first thread... (9/7/2006 is the answer to the question.)

MindMuse -> RE: A New Forum? (9/17/2012 1:11:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

Someone recently asked me when the General Discussion forum started, and I had to search in the database to figure out out. I thought it would be fun to BUMP this very first thread... (9/7/2006 is the answer to the question.)

Boy that sure had me confused until I got down to your first post and discovered this was ancient history!

mgriffith -> RE: A New Forum? (9/17/2012 1:43:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eric

Boy that sure had me confused until I got down to your first post and discovered this was ancient history!

Ain't no way I am admitting to such confusion. Uh, huh. Nope. Not happening.

musedir -> RE: A New Forum? (9/17/2012 1:57:04 PM)

Another great deed our fearless leader has done for the slackers of the wine world. Discussion group!!

Ibetian -> RE: A New Forum? (9/17/2012 1:59:39 PM)

There used to be a management aptitude test (maybe still exists?) called the inbox test. You would get a pile of memos (remember them?) and have to craft a response. Inevitably, the key to at least one would be to recognize that is was well out of date, and that whatever issue it involved was likely long since resolved. Since then, I've made a habit of checking the dates on things if they seem "odd." At least one aspect of my education has come in handy, though in a completely useless way....

S1 -> RE: A New Forum? (9/17/2012 3:05:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mbannon

Whoa.  I didn't think Eric would ever give in on this one!  Okay, folks, let's try to keep things civil and self-patrolled, those were the two big sticking points that kept this from happening for so long.  Eric's got enough on his hands without having to patrol a snotty catfight.

Now that I've said that, let me just say...cool!!  I've been wanting a general "wine discussion" forum here for a long time!  Of course, only Burgundy drinkers should be allowed, since that's the only real wine...just kidding.  sortof.  (no really, just kidding)

OK I'm going to pick a catfight
(since you said "sortof" and "just kidding"[:D]
see my sig!

mclancy10006 -> RE: A New Forum? (9/17/2012 6:55:10 PM)

History web style. What is old is new again so long live the web. This threw me at first, but then the eparker reference let me know it was antique. :)

-Mark

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI