CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 8/2/2021 7:10:34 PM   
bestjetsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

Ok - last (almost) declaration. For Saturday night we are working on sourcing (sorry Cran!) some old Barolo which should go with the Brunello set as an 'Italian' flight. Still TBD which one it will but, but we'll update once we know for sure.

Depends on your definition of old. There are a bunch of separate 6 bottle lots each of 1996 Scavino Rocche Dell Annunziata Riserva at the Acker auction this week at what appears to be a very fair price. I am thinking of trying to get one but I would be happy to split the lot with someone else and since their warehouse is down the block from my client's office, I could pick it up and drive it to Charleston if one you could get rid of those XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (EDITOR'S NOTE: NO POLITICS) down there who are scaring the Bejeezus out of my wife.

< Message edited by Eric -- 8/3/2021 9:15:43 PM >

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 121
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 8/18/2021 3:27:01 PM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: bestjetsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: mc2 wines

Ok - last (almost) declaration. For Saturday night we are working on sourcing (sorry Cran!) some old Barolo which should go with the Brunello set as an 'Italian' flight. Still TBD which one it will but, but we'll update once we know for sure.

Depends on your definition of old. There are a bunch of separate 6 bottle lots each of 1996 Scavino Rocche Dell Annunziata Riserva at the Acker auction this week at what appears to be a very fair price. I am thinking of trying to get one but I would be happy to split the lot with someone else and since their warehouse is down the block from my client's office, I could pick it up and drive it to Charleston if one you could get rid of those XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (EDITOR'S NOTE: NO POLITICS) down there who are scaring the Bejeezus out of my wife.

I think 90's decent age and we've liked those wines in the past. Saw those although trying to be a bit better on purchasing as we're gearing up for renovations and a few big events this fall. We ended up with the 85 Vietti's which I'm excited to try since we've always really loved our tastings there and think Luca is really great.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to bestjetsfan)
Post #: 122
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 8/28/2021 8:50:33 PM   
Hollowine

FYI...the 2009 Cristal on the first night is en Magnum

Hopefully it arrives in October as planned...

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 123
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 8/29/2021 5:05:44 AM   
S1

OP updated with new/amended declarations.
Steve L is shipping me more stems this week.

I don’t think we need to make a Delta call yet. Cases are high in Chas, but not overwhelming (Charleston County is the highest vaccinated county in the state). My zip code is >70% fully vaccinated. I am monitoring the situation daily; we’ll start the conversation if things worsen.
HRH and I may even have a boost by the time of the event.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 124
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/19/2021 11:51:01 AM   
Franklin 10

Thanks for the words about COVID, Scott. As Pulm/CCM doc and with my hospital experience the highest COVID admissions ever, it's very much on my mind. So, I hope the following thoughts I'm going to share will be taken as intended: shared in good faith from a perspective of knowing a little something.

It looks to be that we will be still having a surge of new cases (with associated hospitalizations and deaths), and Charleston will likely be an area of high transmission in November.

While this is vastly less threatening to the vaccinated, at minimum, the event risks propagating community spread.

This alone may be enough for you to cancel/postpone and I would understand and support that decision. However, if we do the event, I have a few suggestions to make it safer:

1. Request testing within 72h, and explicitly ask folks remain away if ill or exposed within 5 days
2. Try to find outdoor options
2. Require all attendees be vaccinated for indoor events
4. Declare masks required for servers and appropriate for others when indoors and not eating/drinking

Again, OK to cancel/reschedule imo but I will come if it can be done with appropriate attention to safely. I hope this doesn't come off as disrespectful to anyone.

- Franklin

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 125
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/19/2021 12:15:48 PM   
Hollowine

Pulmonology and Critical Care Medicine... If anyone deserves a night or two off and to be treated to the best Vino in the world, it's you doc. I know you've seen some **** since this whole thing started...

For me it very will may come down to a game time decision. I have several business trips between now and then, and every one of them makes me a bit nervous given the voracity of this Delta variant with breakthrough infections.

I like your recommendations Franklin. It's small amount of effort to have peace of mind (as much as possible).

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 126
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/19/2021 1:35:53 PM   
S1

Thanks guy—we’ll monitor for a few weeks.
I’m not thinking too clearly right now since I currently have breakthrough COVID. (102ish temp)

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 127
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/19/2021 1:53:35 PM   
Franklin 10

Very tough break, S1. Hope you are on the upswing soon.

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 128
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/19/2021 4:12:00 PM   
Redrunners

Scott,

Hope you re feeling better soon.
Glad that both you and HRH have been vaccinated and it helps to significantly reduce the severity and duration

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 129
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/20/2021 12:51:50 PM   
l631756

S1, hope your feeling better. Hopefully you don’t lose your sense of taste and smell. That would be a tragedy for such a great palate. Your health is top priority and you, as the host, make the final call on the go/no go for the event. There will always be next year and the wines are just getting better.
I think that these suggestions from Franklin 10 are smart precautions for all of us coming to Charleston. I am in Europe now and have to show a green card (vaccination card) everywhere I go. Museums , restaurants, hotels, etc. require it. I am getting tested again tomorrow to fly back to the US. This is the world we live in now and we want to be safe and protect each other. I am perfectly willing to do what is necessary to make the Offlinearama happen but understand if it isn’t feasible.
Steve

Post #: 130
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/21/2021 10:50:47 AM   
LST

It was just last weekend trading mail with folks about precautions when I read s1’s mail
I hope for a quick and complete recovery

I know we are being more vigilant and agree that a prudent watch on things

I plan to attend based on blind faith that things work out
If we have to postpone, cancel or rearrange you all have my support as well

(in reply to l631756)
Post #: 131
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/21/2021 5:36:59 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Thanks guy—we’ll monitor for a few weeks.
I’m not thinking too clearly right now since I currently have breakthrough COVID. (102ish temp)

Now HRH has it.
So far no fever.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 132
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/21/2021 5:56:21 PM   
DoubleD1969

Dang ... hope you guys will be okay!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 133
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/21/2021 6:09:16 PM   
mclancy10006

S1 & HRH - Get better soon! We need you on the mend.

-Mark

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 134
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/28/2021 11:09:19 AM   
S1

I have been having PM discussions with a number of you; it seems like now is the time for serious discussion. HRH and I seem to be navigating our way through our breakthrough infections, albeit slowly. I am still very weak and “swimmy-headed.” Here are some recommendations from the gang.
1. I think all attendees are already vaccinated. If not, unvaccinated folks should bow out, for the good of the group.
2. Charleston County cases are dropping dramatically (and are expected to keep dropping) although we are still labeled a high transmission area. Charleston County vaccination rates are pretty good; keep in mind that the rural areas will have lower vaccination rates (and higher transmission rates) than Urban areas. It is certainly very possible that the 5-11 year old kids will be eligible for the vaccine by late October. That would really help with transmission here in Mt. P.
3. Obviously outdoor events would be preferable to indoor events. Mason and I can scout some venues but the autumn weddings might have already secured most spots. Franklin has offered the house he is renting with a Hollow and Gene. Maybe that’s an option for Bordeaux Friday.
4. At Circa (might be our only indoor event) I will insist that servers remain masked.
5. For Sunday brunch, I can try to secure our little clubhouse. I don’t want to use the country club. Safety protocols have never been particularly strong throughout the pandemic. HRH and I play golf but almost never enter the clubhouse.

I welcome suggestions. Steve has shipped me a bunch of the Grassls—they sleep in the attic right now.

I don’t want to pull the plug until I see the trends of the next week. If things don’t look good, perhaps we can try for springtime.

Please chime in.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view|South%20Carolina|45019|Risk|community_transmission_level

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 135
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/29/2021 3:47:25 AM   
l631756

It is 100% your call. I have traveled to Italy and to Montreal in the last month. To fly internationally, everyone on the plane is vaccinated and tested 48 hours prior to flight. Those planes may be the safest place to be. However, this won’t be the case traveling domestically. Testing is pretty easy and an additional safeguard for an event like this. Whatever you decide is OK.
Steve

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 136
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/29/2021 5:11:00 AM   
daviladc

Since the current vaccines are NOT a prophylactic, they don't stop you from contracting the virus (does reduce symptoms) and they don't stop transmission in every case. Because of this, if we are waiting for Covid to be eradicated, this event will never happen.

Here is my REALISTIC checklist to show one of:
Vaccinate.
Test.
Natural antibodies.

Wine is not furniture. Drink it!

(in reply to l631756)
Post #: 137
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/29/2021 7:45:51 AM   
mclancy10006

All of life is risk. Some risks are absurdly high and not worth the return and other have a good ratio of risk/reward. For me while there is some elevated risk above prior CT events it is not at the pull the plug level if we held the event today. If we get the andromeda strain of this thing I might re-assess, but if we track the same to slight better on Delta I am in the green zone. Clearly while participant masking would not be possible so outdoor venues are the best mitigation, but even one dinner at Circa should be within risk tolerance.

Happy to do tests etc and already had jabs so no worries on that front. We have a few do at home an mail in kits already in inventory. (Part of a delayed to 2022 return to the office plan for the better half's company)

-Mark

(in reply to daviladc)
Post #: 138
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/29/2021 8:22:36 AM   
LST

1st of all I wish everyone to be in good health and to have a low stress, fun time.
Franklin, Scott and I are happy to host @ the rental.
Another wine group I belong to, Bordeaux Wine Enthusiast, is having their annual get together soon in DC. (Oct 1-3)
They did the following:
- request everyone be vaccinated
- request rapid antigen, home test or test site (PCR) before flying out and before each event. whether it is the 2 pk BinaxNow or thru CVS/Walgreen/Amazon etc...

outdoor events, and group only venues have also been added.

They cite Rapid antigen testing can help ensure that nobody is infectious during the wine gatherings. Rapid antigen tests are very effective for determining when a person is infectious -- identifying 98% of infectious people. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/21/brie ... id-us.html

Rapid antigen home test kits are in short supply, so you may need to start now to find one to bring with you. It's a 2 day routine: test, look at results, test again in 36 hrs. depending on the test it's about $25-30 for a 2 pack.

They also provided locations:

CVS. Several DC locations, but tend to fill up quickly. https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

Another option might be to have Sameday Health come to the event(s)r and test everyone there. Likely to be more pricey: https://www.sameday-testing.com/events#booking

I think that may be a bit more than some would do, but, there are options to ensure peace of mind and safety.

It's about 5 weeks before we converge. It has been a highly anticipated and much needed break to try to get together again, so I am trying to temper my enthusiasm with some prudence. I defer to the organizers to make the final call, but I still plan to attend, pack up my kits, bring some bonus bottles, and get my booster before I go. I'll also closely monitor how the DC event went and "on the ground" info.

here in Ca, we are in the yellow tier, rates dropping, test positivity at or below 2.5% and things are vastly improved over the past month. So there is some optimism. I also belong to a couple of groups that hack/code such as NextStrain.org and thru the UC system to sequence/track and data mine public health/lab data. The trends suggest that the current strains are not
showing significant genetic drift, that Delta dominant, out competing, with back pressure on mutation,and immunity are factors, and the combined natural immunity + vaccine immunity is having a desired effect to suppress spread as there are fewer hosts, and lower viral loads with distance/masks to deter replication.

< Message edited by LST -- 9/29/2021 9:16:27 AM >

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 139
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/29/2021 8:24:53 AM   
Redrunners

Scott,

Agree with all your plans and requests.
We both work in healthcare and have been fully vaccinated and will get the booster when available.

Will stay tuned for your final decision and plans.

Hope you and HRH are both back to feeling better soon.

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 140
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 9/29/2021 10:42:15 AM   
bestjetsfan

I am a second level risk on the immunocompromised scale and we spend a lot of time helping out with my grandson so my son can finish law school and he is too young for vaccination. My wife is more nervous than I am, but I have seen a lot of stupidity running around even in what we like to consider "enlightened" New York. I also know at least 3 people who died of COVID, at least one of whom was not at risk and another had only age as a risk. The way I look at it is simple. Assume that going to the event will have no effect on me personally. However, how would I feel if someone else got sick, and ended up in the hospital, or worse, died, and part of the reason was because I helped create the event where the person got sick, even if that help represented only travelling to the event and bringing some good wine?

Where does this take me? My preference is to delay until the Spring as a matter of prudence, but I will probably attend if you go ahead. But Frank Murray already adjourned Falltacular in California and there is no shame in not being stupid.

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 141
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/2/2021 8:03:33 PM   
bestjetsfan

We have discussed this with my son and considered the risk to my 7 year old grandson, who we take care of 3 days a week. Taking everything into consideration, we have decided that it is not worth the risk, taking into account all the travel and the other hot spot risks. Therefore, we are going to have to bow out. If you decide to delay the event, we will reconsider next year, and I will save the Grange and the Monte Bello just in case the themes stay the same.

Post #: 142
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/3/2021 11:47:48 AM   
S1

I am working on finding an outdoor space for Friday night.
I think we should be fine at Circa (pretty big room and our group is not too big). I will ask them to mask our servers.
If I can’t find an outdoor space for Sunday brunch, I’ll try to get our clubhouse. I can cook.

Post #: 143
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/3/2021 6:51:09 PM   
Franklin 10

Sounds like Friday on Isle of Palms. Gene, Scott and I would not be able to have a "House Party" given the renal stipulations but could have a gathering of wine family. Meaning carpooling to keep the number of cars down, at 11:00 we-turn-in-to-pumkins routine and general respect for the neighbors.

My schedule eases up next week and I can help in planning.

the Empirate

-abra berens

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 144
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/4/2021 3:34:10 AM   
musedir

quote:

given the renal stipulations

Yep, that could determine your limitations…

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 145
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/5/2021 2:32:07 PM   
S1

SC cases are dropping dramatically, and the forecast is for that trend to continue.
We’re looking at a private chef for Fri.

Post #: 146
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/5/2021 3:12:58 PM   
Franklin 10

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

quote:

given the renal stipulations

Yep, that could determine your limitations…

Right, no peeing outside!

the Empirate

-abra berens

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 147
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/6/2021 10:41:01 AM   
mc2 wines

quote:

ORIGINAL: bestjetsfan

We have discussed this with my son and considered the risk to my 7 year old grandson, who we take care of 3 days a week. Taking everything into consideration, we have decided that it is not worth the risk, taking into account all the travel and the other hot spot risks. Therefore, we are going to have to bow out. If you decide to delay the event, we will reconsider next year, and I will save the Grange and the Monte Bello just in case the themes stay the same.

Really sorry to miss you, but of course understand the decision. Hopefully we'll get to meet a future event.

Friends don't let friends wine alone

Post #: 148
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/10/2021 9:52:43 AM   
S1

Possible plan
Thu—Mason’s house (yard) on the harbor. Roast suckling probably.
Fri—Franklin’s VRBO beach house (LOTS of outdoor area) If I can’t find a suitable private chef I have a menu in mind and I will cook.
Sat—Circa
Sun—Lewis brisket sandwiches on the boat (Mason’s brother has a connection)
58 foot Leopard Catamaran (LOTS of outdoor area)

I might go ahead and reserve the clubhouse for Sunday just in case we have weather issues.

< Message edited by S1 -- 10/10/2021 12:49:02 PM >

Post #: 149
RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 - 10/11/2021 11:21:27 AM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

Possible plan
Thu—Mason’s house (yard) on the harbor. Roast suckling probably.
Fri—Franklin’s VRBO beach house (LOTS of outdoor area) If I can’t find a suitable private chef I have a menu in mind and I will cook.
Sat—Circa
Sun—Lewis brisket sandwiches on the boat (Mason’s brother has a connection)
58 foot Leopard Catamaran (LOTS of outdoor area)

I might go ahead and reserve the clubhouse for Sunday just in case we have weather issues.

Like button pressed!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Charleston Offlineorama VI (2.0) Nov 4-7, 2021 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI