CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/21/2010 7:54:29 PM   
Polymer

Looking at the % is a mistake.  Most places will do a %+fee markup.

Say it retailed at 5.  So if their markup was 200% retail + 15 that would make sense and it's pretty typical IMO.   The fact that you picked out a wine that was so cheap retail only made it seem bigger.

On the other hand if it normally retailed for 40 and sold there for 95, that wouldn't seem out of the ordinary but it's the same markup calculation. 

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 31
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/22/2010 4:58:03 AM   
wallstreet

quote:

ORIGINAL: wallstreet

I took two clients to dinner at Cafe Martaranno at the Rio…

I swear I've been there, and also unimpressed. Dinner while staying at the Rio in 2003. Was that restaurant there then?

Not sure if it was there, I never thought to actually go there, but a client of mine for some reason likes that restaurant (he eats the same thing each time he goes.). So I agreed to go, but I did say to him afterwards, that my preference would be to go to one of the much better restaurants in the area. He realized I wasn't impressed. We have a very good relationship , so I can be honest.

Now I just take him to Joe's Seafood at Ceasars.  They have the best Filet Mignon in town believe it or not.

"One Man Gathers, What Another Man Spills"...Robert Hunter 1968

----
Wine, Watches And Women....not necessarily in that order

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 32
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/22/2010 6:25:44 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

Now I just take him to Joe's Seafood at Ceasars.  They have the best Filet Mignon in town believe it or not.

Is that Filet Mignon of crab or lobster?

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to wallstreet)
Post #: 33
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/22/2010 6:28:32 AM   
wallstreet

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

quote:

Best beef in Vegas, but not believe me, try it next time for yourself :)

The roasted corn side dish is amazing.

"One Man Gathers, What Another Man Spills"...Robert Hunter 1968

----
Wine, Watches And Women....not necessarily in that order

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 34
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/22/2010 7:19:46 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Prices for decent red wine is impossible in Dubai restaurants (and I mean impossible).
Strangely the only wines priced even near deceny is the South Americans, especially Chile.
Having said that I'd have to pay more than you :(
L.

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 35
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/22/2010 7:31:39 AM   
ikileo

my upper limit is 200%

but i think a lot of consumers (at least the casual consumers in my country) when they open a bottle wine at a restaurant it's for a special occasion and they want a nice expensive bottle. most of them don't have CT on their IPhone or check their winelist online first and do a CT/wine-searcher analysis before they decide to buy it or simply pay the corkage for their own bottle. so all in all, for the uber crazy markups, if most of their customers don't really know...well then, all's fair in business

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 36
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/22/2010 1:43:31 PM   
wadcorp

That's the deal, ikileo. I don't have an iPhone, so can't look up the going rate while at the restaurant.

One of the reasons I usually gravitate to a bottle I know (and know the price of).

I found out the price of the bottle from the dinner earlier this month by going onto CT and logging it in… the next day. Ouch…

Another reason I'm going to roll out when I buy an iPhone next year: "It'll save me a fortune on wine purchases."

(in reply to ikileo)
Post #: 37
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/22/2010 5:44:01 PM   
musedir

Colonel - just what is the cost of living like in your "neck of the woods"?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 38
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/23/2010 6:10:30 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

When I arrived here over ten tears ago it was about the same as London.
Progressively and especially since the financial meltdown it's got rather expensive.
There is no VAT, income tax, or capital gains tax as such, but they have other ways of collecting monies.
Housing is extremely expensive, even after a major downward adjustment in the market: a very modest 2 bed villa rental would cost $35,000 pa (sometimes paid one or two yearly up front!)
It costs me well over $1000 a month for electricity, refuse and water (only expats pay this, locals get a free ride).
Living costs are high, and traders seem to be attempting to cover lost profits, by jacking up prices.
We pay a lot for residents visas, motorway tolls and other bureaucracy charges.
Only one really good thing - we pay little for gas (petrol), about 1 pound an English gallon. That's about $1.20 an US gallon (I think that's better than the US? it's a fraction of the cost of the UK and Europe).

So I guess in short - it's an expensive place to be.

L.

PS One significant benefit (for Brit's but sadly not Americans) is that H.M.Govt doesn't tax you for overseas assets and gains.
This in fact makes it cheaper for me in Dubai, than back in London.
Uncle Sam taxes you guys on worldwide assets :(

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 39
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/23/2010 1:04:13 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

That's about $1.20 an US gallon (I think that's better than the US? it's a fraction of the cost of the UK and Europe).

Yup, better than here. In KC, it's about $2.59US per gallon.

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 40
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/24/2010 4:49:07 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

We all drive big engined SUV's - not green, but almost necessary with all the speed bumps and to be able to park on the sand!

L.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 41
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/24/2010 8:22:44 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

We all drive big engined SUV's…

Funny. I figured everyone over there was in a Smart car. Better known in the US as a chair.

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 42
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/29/2010 9:51:02 AM   
caeleric

not that this adds anything new to this thread, but restaurant markups are infuriating to me as well. the restaurant may have access to better food ingredients and more expertise in preparing the food than i, which is why i'm ok paying a "high" markup for food prep. but i can pop a cork and pour a glass just as well as the server, so i hate markups.

i just returned from spain and was blown away by the relative reasonableness of their wine pricing. a glass of very decent house wine is almost always less expensive than a can of coca-cola. not only that, i was drinking '95, '96 and '97 grand reserva riojas for anywhere from 25-50 euro per bottle ($32.50 US to $65 US). that is no doubt a markup, but imagine the swill you get served at restaurants in the states for less than $35 a bottle. i was in heaven!

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 43
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/29/2010 7:03:44 PM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

not that this adds anything new to this thread, but restaurant markups are infuriating to me as well. the restaurant may have access to better food ingredients and more expertise in preparing the food than i, which is why i'm ok paying a "high" markup for food prep. but i can pop a cork and pour a glass just as well as the server, so i hate markups.

i just returned from spain and was blown away by the relative reasonableness of their wine pricing. a glass of very decent house wine is almost always less expensive than a can of coca-cola. not only that, i was drinking '95, '96 and '97 grand reserva riojas for anywhere from 25-50 euro per bottle ($32.50 US to $65 US). that is no doubt a markup, but imagine the swill you get served at restaurants in the states for less than $35 a bottle. i was in heaven!

I am in total agreement. Wine is food and approached that way. Your are expected to drink a half liter carafe each @ E15.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 44
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/30/2010 6:16:20 AM   
wadcorp

I'm still thinking most restaurants could actually increase sales (and repeat business) if they got their wine prices down to something "in the known universe".

No problem with 1.5X mark-up.

Again, it's the 2X or greater that makes my blood boil.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 45
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/30/2010 10:50:56 AM   
khmark7

The biggest markup I've ever seen was at some steak house in Treasure Island, Las Vegas.  Our waiter, who was overworked was having a horrible time with my insistance that the wine I was ordering actually be the vintage on the menu....which it wasn't for the first two wines I tried to order.  Finally I decided that it would be worth ordering the 2003 Chateau Lascombes, which retailed for $40 back then.....and was on the menu for $1000  I kindly asked the waiter the confirm the price with his manager, as I was sure it was just a typo and $100, which would make sense.   After a long wait our server returned only to CONFIRM the $1000 price!  WTF?  By this time our group was very restless, so I just ordered the cheapest CdR I could find on the menu and swore never to return there.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 46
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/30/2010 10:53:58 AM   
PSirah Tampa

quote:

I'm still thinking most restaurants could actually increase sales (and repeat business) if they got their wine prices down to something "in the known universe".

Although I wholeheartedly agree with you the formula must not work or else SOMEONE would be doing it. I call it discrimination against wine lovers- maybe we can file a class action lawsuit?

There's a restaurant in Tampa called Berns; they likely have the largest wine list in the world (the size of a telephone book for a medium sized city). Berns has a worldwide reputation for wine, and people travel to Tampa just to dine there. They have an interesting approach to pricing their wine.

I would guess that 95% of their customers know little about wine, but 100% know Berns is known for it. Approximately 80% of their customers dine with a bottle (or more) of wine on the table. Berns adds wine to their inventory at an average 350% markup-healthy. They have about 1 million bottles in inventory going back in great quantities into the '70s. Once the bottle goes on the list the price rarely goes up until its sold out. Because they buy so much wine and have such a great variety this can take decades. What this means is you can buy 20 to 30 year old perfectly aged bottles of wine that drink beautifully for $25- $50- a real bargain!

What's really interesting is that VERY few people order this stuff when dining. Who knows what the reasons are- perhaps lack of knowledge, not wanting to look cheap, or just wanting to order a name they know- but 90% of the bottles served are recent releases of something or other that just received a 350% markup!

The restaurant is not stupid- they know there are extreme deals on the list. But they also know that only true wine lovers will look for them. By having these great values on the list (and there are hundreds of them at various price points) the hype is preserved and the sheep come in to order the easily replaced current stuff at high prices!

Imagine that- a restaurant that actually looks out for us wine geeks! The country needs to make it a law.

I just gotta drink'um faster!

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 47
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/30/2010 10:56:17 AM   
pjaines

I've read a lot about Berns - there seem to be some excellent tasting notes written on CT after a meal there.

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 48
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/30/2010 12:59:41 PM   
wadcorp

Some published articles on the subject. I'll pull out a paragraph or two, but will link to the copyrighted story.

quote:

Hertrich maintains that there is a magic number where a good restaurant wine manager can do a lower markup, sell more wine and make the same amount of profit. “If you pay $50 for a mid-range Burgundy, you can put it on the list for $200 and wait six months for someone to buy it, or you can charge $125 and sell it right away,” he says. “Meanwhile you’ve already paid for it and you have to store it.”

Wine Enthusiast

quote:

In August, after more than seven years in business, Holbrook (The Courtyard, at Pine and Clement, in San Francisco's Richmond district near Golden Gate Park cut his markup to 50 percent to match local retail wine prices. Mead and other San Francisco writers, even an Associated Press wire service reporter, wrote hosannas about the restaurant and Mead urged his readers "to go out of your way to patronize The Courtyard.'

Why did Holbrook, who normally took a 100 percent markup, do it? "I got very annoyed at being gouged for wine, seeing a bottle that I knew cost $5 selling for $20. Overpriced wine really disturbed me and people in the Bay Area have such easy access to reasonably priced wine . . . there's no merit to gouging winebuyers. I got angry with the whole thing and decided I'd change it.'

Columnists on Both Coasts Blast Restaurant Wine Prices

quote:

Chef Michael Chiarello’s one-year old hot spot Bottega has already earned a reputation among the locals for casual elegance and a thoughtful, mostly local wine list. Rightfully, Napa residents were extolling the virtues of the chestnut gnocchi and the chicly restored building, yet no one warned us about the wine prices. I mean, they were borderline ridiculous.

Ridiculously inexpensive, that is. I’ve never seen markups so low in California.

A bottle of Merlot from one of my favorite Napa producers, Frog’s Leap, was listed at $35—one dollar above the current retail price. Some of the more voluptuous valley Cabernets were modestly marked up; Rubicon 2005 was released at $145 and was listed at Bottega for $170, while Tim Mondavi’s Continuum 2006 was released for the same price and listed for $180. A bit saturated with Cabernet after a day of appointments, we chose a lovely young Barolo for $66, marked up only $15 from its release price.

Palatepress.com

quote:

Think about it: whether the marquee says McDonald's or Maxim's, the beverages they offer have high markup. Although diners complain about wine prices, soda pop, coffee, and iced tea are far more inflated. A McDonald's 24-ounce Coke sells for US$1.49 -- the entire ingredients, cup, lid, and straw cost under US25¢ -- that's very nearly a 600% markup.

Wine consumers are spoiled by the relatively low markup on retail wine, such that independent shops exclusively dealing wine are practically nonexistent, unable to profit enough to sustain their owners. A bottle that wholesales for US$10, for example, might be found selling for US$14 retail. If that same wine is offered at US$30 on a winelist, it would probably raise some hackles. But if that same wine were served at McDonald's, under their business economics, it would be US$60!!!

Winepros.com

quote:

For decades now, markups of 2.5 to three times the wholesale price have been the industry norm. According to Wiegand (Ronn Wiegand, a Napa, Calif.-based restaurant consultant who holds the rare Master of Wine degree), such multiples are an economic necessity for most restaurants; anything less and they may have trouble sustaining themselves. But not every wine on the list has to be marked up at the same rate. So long as the average cost per bottle is in the 2.5-to-three-times-wholesale range, list prices for individual wines need not follow any formula. And, in fact, most restaurants that take wine seriously use a system of progressive markups: They generally slap the biggest markups on inexpensive wines and the lowest ones on pricy bottles (the idea being that the closer an expensive wine is to its retail price, the more apt the customer will be to bite).

Slate.com

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 49
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/30/2010 1:39:03 PM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: PSirah Tampa

quote:

Although I wholeheartedly agree with you the formula must not work or else SOMEONE would be doing it. I call it discrimination against wine lovers- maybe we can file a class action lawsuit?

There's a restaurant in Tampa called Berns; they likely have the largest wine list in the world (the size of a telephone book for a medium sized city). Berns has a worldwide reputation for wine, and people travel to Tampa just to dine there. They have an interesting approach to pricing their wine.

I would guess that 95% of their customers know little about wine, but 100% know Berns is known for it. Approximately 80% of their customers dine with a bottle (or more) of wine on the table. Berns adds wine to their inventory at an average 350% markup-healthy. They have about 1 million bottles in inventory going back in great quantities into the '70s. Once the bottle goes on the list the price rarely goes up until its sold out. Because they buy so much wine and have such a great variety this can take decades. What this means is you can buy 20 to 30 year old perfectly aged bottles of wine that drink beautifully for $25- $50- a real bargain!

What's really interesting is that VERY few people order this stuff when dining. Who knows what the reasons are- perhaps lack of knowledge, not wanting to look cheap, or just wanting to order a name they know- but 90% of the bottles served are recent releases of something or other that just received a 350% markup!

The restaurant is not stupid- they know there are extreme deals on the list. But they also know that only true wine lovers will look for them. By having these great values on the list (and there are hundreds of them at various price points) the hype is preserved and the sheep come in to order the easily replaced current stuff at high prices!

Imagine that- a restaurant that actually looks out for us wine geeks! The country needs to make it a law.

it's my understanding that they have the largest privately-owned collection in the world. i had a bday dinner set up for last month, but it fell through because friends and family ended up cancelling at the last minute. i'm dying to go!

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

Post #: 50
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/30/2010 2:06:12 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: PSirah Tampa

Still on my "to do" list for when I get back to Florida. I always seem to get trapped in the Orlando area.

By the way, this is from the Bern's website, regarding their wine:

quote:

Bern’s founder, Bern Laxer, traveled the globe extensively exploring, researching and tasting wines that he could bring back and introduce to his guests back home. In time, the cellar grew to be one of the most respected and largest collections in the world. Today, our cellar contains more than 6,800 different selections with more than half a million bottles.
Bern’s Wine Cellar is the perennial recipient of the Wine Spectator Grand Award, the magazine’s highest honor bestowed upon restaurants that display an uncompromising and passionate commitment to quality. According to Wine Spectator, “these lists show serious depth of mature vintages, outstanding breadth in their vertical offerings, excellent harmony with the menu, superior organization and presentation, and 1,250 or more selections.”

Whether you are an oenophile or a novice, Bern’s Wine Cellar will truly impress you -- with more than 6,800 unique wine labels, 5,500 red wines, 1,000 white wines and more than 200 sparkling wines. In addition, we feature about 300 Medeiras, Ports and Sherries by the glass, as well as 200 table wines served by the glass with vintages to 1973.

Because of the breadth of our wine collection, we update our wine list four times a year and currently we are unable to offer our list online.

Our three talented Sommeliers are highly knowledgeable and can recommend the perfect glass or bottle to complement your dinner. If you have questions about the wine list or if you would like to pre-select your wine prior to dinner with us, please email, asksommelier@bernssteakhouse.com

Post #: 51
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/30/2010 2:34:09 PM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

quote:

quote:

Best beef in Vegas, but not believe me, try it next time for yourself :)

The roasted corn side dish is amazing.

Del Frisco's Vegas...i never miss going when i'm there on business or pleasure if i can help it.

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to wallstreet)
Post #: 52
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 5/28/2011 12:16:42 PM   
wadcorp

Since we're getting back to the subject of restaurant mark-ups, I thought I'd give this thread a bump.

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 53
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 5/28/2011 4:23:50 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: PSirah Tampa:

::  applause  ::  Fantastic post PSirah!  I've long known of Bern's, but have never been there.  To me, it's like a Gene and Georgetti in Chicago - it's arguable that they are the best around, and with Bern's there is that famous "phonebook" wine list.  I've worked a lot in and around the phosphate mines to the east of Tampa, next time I'm close I'm going to go.  Your approach of looking for the older vintages has never occurred to me.  Cheers!

Post #: 54
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 5/29/2011 10:13:49 AM   
tantotinto

It is still a trickle but we are seeing a very encouraging trend in Houston, more restaurants with reasonable mark-ups or low corkage fees.  A tight-fisted wine writer in the local newspaper has done a good job of encouragement through pulicizing restaurants who join the trend.  I was in one of them this week-end and they were offering the 2008 Caymus Cabernet Sauvigon at a 50% mark-up over local retail, the 2008 Brewer Clifton Ampelos Pinot Noir at 25% over its initial release price, the 2001 Murrieta Ygay Grand Reserve Rioja at 27% over local retail and  NV Louis Roederer Brut Champagne at 20% below local retail. They have good food but at those wine prices I almost don't care.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 55
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/14/2019 8:02:57 AM   
wadcorp

So resurrecting this old thread because I just can't let this go.

Had dinner at Sullivan's Steakhouse earlier this week. Called to see about corkage, and ends up it isn't allowed.

"No outside wine can be brought in."

Dang. Was hoping to bring an older bottle for our anniversary celebration, but not to be. Since Sullivan's is on the Kansas side of State Line, that's their prerogative.

Figured we'd have a sparkler to start & get a bottle of wine with dinner, but they only had two Proseccos available by the glass. No actual champagne by the glass. Then, near the end of the wine list, I noticed a split of Perrier-Jouët. Perfect!

"Oh, we don't have any splits any more. Don't know why that is still on there," says the sommelier. WTF, you're responsible for the wine list.

Ended up getting a bottle of cava that was wildly overpriced.

But when looking at a wine to go with dinner I noticed they had a 2016 Erath Pinot Noir priced at $72.

Seriously? I mean, any grocer in the area carries that basic Erath for $13-16. That's a 380% mark-up.

Needless to say, we didn't go that route. Nothing else on the list was standing out other than a Penner-Ash, but it was insanely priced as well.

So I just ended up getting a glass of cabernet & my wife got a glass of chardonnay.

And of course, her chardonnay was from a bad bottle…

(in reply to tantotinto)
Post #: 56
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/14/2019 8:15:58 AM   
mtpisgah

When the markup or selection is that bad, I go with beer or water.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 57
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/14/2019 8:23:24 AM   
CranBurgundy

We had a cheese plate and some other small dishes in a Philly restaurant a few years back, and ordered a 2011 Heinz Eifel Spatlese for $49. Considering it could be bought back then from any retailer for $11 or $12, that was a pretty hefty mark-up. We bought it in the name of science. It paid off as we now order it by the case as one of our house Rieslings.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 58
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/14/2019 8:32:25 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

We had a cheese plate and some other small dishes in a Philly restaurant a few years back, and ordered a 2011 Heinz Eifel Spatlese for $49. Considering it could be bought back then from any retailer for $11 or $12, that was a pretty hefty mark-up.

A little over a 345% mark-up. Such a deal!

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 59
RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant - 6/14/2019 9:26:09 AM   
Paul852

quote:

So resurrecting this old thread because I just can't let this go.

Had dinner at Sullivan's Steakhouse earlier this week. Called to see about corkage, and ends up it isn't allowed.

"No outside wine can be brought in."

Dang. Was hoping to bring an older bottle for our anniversary celebration, but not to be. Since Sullivan's is on the Kansas side of State Line, that's their prerogative.
Was the food so good that it overrode the instinct to just go somewhere else?

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Biggest mark up in a restaurant Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI