CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: The Moratorium

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Moratorium - 9/30/2010 7:29:39 AM   
Serge Birbrair

I have to lower my purchases. I feel like "earthly possessions" own us more than we own them.

At 22 with $90 in the pocket and back pack I could travel continents,
now I feel like wine is the biggest anchor which ties us up to the place where we live.

I tip my hat to all who have courage to pass on the good deals which are plenty nowadays.

tsk....

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 61
RE: The Moratorium - 9/30/2010 5:45:41 PM   
khmark7

I ended up buying some wines via mailing lists, but kept it under budget and just over a case.   My October budget will be 12 bottles.  I must agree with Serge.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 62
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 4:16:24 AM   
musedir

Actually I am looking forward to October as many wines that have been in storage for the past five hot months will be coming my way... so no buying in the immediate future, but how do I convince my skeptical wife that these cases are OLD purchases and not new ones... maybe I'll get through mid-November without a new purchase.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 63
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 5:53:27 AM   
J2K

I purchase  @ 240 bottles a year.  YTD for 2010........100.  Can you say "downshift"?

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 64
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 7:13:57 AM   
Khamen

Well according to CT I have only bought 70 bottles in the last 2 and a bit years. Yay me!

Well ok, not yay me as I obviously still can't drive this thing. Am guessing I'm on about 400 bts for the year to date

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 65
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 8:28:03 AM   
wineismylife

I have bought approximately 1/3 less each year as compared to the previous year for 4 years running.  I seriously need to keep that trend going.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 66
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 8:59:39 AM   
khmark7

I'm averaging about 240 bottles consumed each year, so my goal is only to purchase around 120, or about a case each month.   Since I work in healthcare there's zero chance my earnings will go up in 2011 so I need to cutback.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 67
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 10:11:39 AM   
Khamen

quote:

Original :khmark7

Since I work in healthcare there's zero chance my earnings will go up in 2011 so I need to cutback.

I thought that nice young chap in the White House was going to turn your system into one like ours

As far as I can work out all you need to do is pay administrators massive amounts of cash, make junior doctors work 29 hour days, ensure nurses are all on the game so they can actually earn more than tuppence a month and divert any cash left over to GPs so they can maintain their fleet of Ferraris (do you have GPs in the states?)

Ofc, so long as there is the machine that goes "ping!" all is well (copyright Monty Python 1972)

(actually, and to be fair, I actually saw a consultant rheumatologist on the NHS yesterday and he was really excellent - best doctor I have ever seen tbh)

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 68
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 11:56:39 AM   
musedir

Nope - all costs are going up and possible selcted plans are bing cut back... very large deductables. Its open season on the White House these days.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 69
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 12:33:56 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khamen

quote:

Original :khmark7

Since I work in healthcare there's zero chance my earnings will go up in 2011 so I need to cutback.

I thought that nice young chap in the White House was going to turn your system into one like ours

K

Yes, and for right now they are paying for it by lowering gov't payouts and reimbursements....to the hospitals and MD's.  Eventually taxes will pay for this but for now it will take time to work itself out.  I'm waiting before I make judgement overall on the new system. 

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 70
RE: The Moratorium - 10/1/2010 2:00:14 PM   
caeleric

No politics, right boys?

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 71
RE: The Moratorium - 10/3/2010 8:59:41 AM   
YoDaddyO

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

I am doing pretty well myself. Since my unexpected Cab clearance binge earlier this year, I am toning it down quite a bit. My consumption is out pacing buying right now

You need to show up in Austin with Hollowine ... I need some help with consumption

I'm ready for an Austin event!

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 72
RE: The Moratorium - 10/3/2010 4:58:04 PM   
musedir

apologies to all... you are quite correct
quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

No politics, right boys?

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 73
RE: The Moratorium - 10/4/2010 7:35:13 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Hello, my name is Chris.

I'm glad to see this thread as a support group for those of us trying to cut back, cut down, or go cold turkey. I joined CT about 10 months ago and since that time have purchased ~500 bottles. Not sure how that happened to be honest, a trip here or there to wine country, various winery club shipments, an enticing e-mail offer or two and Bam, 500 new bottles.

My best suggestion for how to cut back, because it worked for me, is to move your household and your wine by yourself. My wife and I did that in late July and didn't trust the movers, so all 50 or so cases we shlepped down steps, into a truck, and back up steps. And have since had to figure out a new sorting and racking system. This convinced us both we had too, too much wine, and since that time we (mainly I since I'm the culprit 98% of the time) have cut back to only "necessities". For us, this means winery club minimums, a virtual tasting bottle once a month, and some really good deals on wines we know we like.

My goal for October is to only purchase any winery club shipments and that should only be a few bottles since most of our clubs have already done their fall shipments.

I have a couple of pending shipments that have already been paid for, but my current streak is at 8 days and counting since my last wine purchase.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 74
RE: The Moratorium - 10/4/2010 9:49:52 AM   
musedir

I would have to say that buying 500 bottles in 10 months would pretty much guarantee me a cot in the uncooled and unheated shed by she who must be obeyed, even if 1/2 of them were whites...

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 75
RE: The Moratorium - 10/4/2010 9:55:40 AM   
Gnoop

Well, I've been informed by the House Finance Committee that I shall purchase no further wine for the remainder of the year.

"Ok, but this is just for Thanksgiving dinner, dear."

"Ok, but this is just for Christmas dinner, dear."

We'll see how that works out for me ;)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 76
RE: The Moratorium - 10/4/2010 10:46:25 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

I would have to say that buying 500 bottles in 10 months would pretty much guarantee me a cot in the uncooled and unheated shed by she who must be obeyed, even if 1/2 of them were whites...

Ours is a classic case of codependency. Although I started it and am, by far, worse about buying, my wife is /was equally as hooked into the cycle of finding, buying and drinking more, different, and better wines. She's more of a diehard red drinker than me and even complains when I buy white or pink wine.

We're on the buying wagon together, but she's almost as likely as me to suggest we get more of a favorite from one of our winery clubs, or to try something new at a tasting room or retailer.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 77
RE: The Moratorium - 10/4/2010 3:19:20 PM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside
Ours is a classic case of codependency.

Sounds like my house... I confess I'm getting worse than my husband. He's all about 'verticals', I'm all about "Hey, let's try this! Woot!"

I got a bit of a lecture last week and I SWEAR I've not bought anything since then.
But.
In the mail today came our info and password from Scarecrow to purchase the M. Étain. My willpower is waning fast.

And let's not discuss the 5 cases on the way, or the cases sitting on the floor - okay?

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

Post #: 78
RE: The Moratorium - 10/4/2010 11:41:28 PM   
dsGris

In relation to the moving part. Many years ago when moving from our first owned house, my wife brings up every so often that it took one truck to move the household goods and two loads for the garage/basement. After that I would not buy anything I did not have a use for. I still have too much crap. When time comes for the retirement villa, I think I will be able to rid myself of the excess wine in exchange for moving help. The rest of the junk is going to Goodwill and the Rebuilding Center on a regular basis.
After looking at my most recent CC bill, I got this sick feeling in my gut, what have I done. So far I have no desire to buy. Oh, the temptation is still there, but hitting the delete is easier.
My wife is a spender as well. She just returned from Greece and Turkey with a bag of carpets. After asking me how I survived three weeks on my own, she asked me if I had done any major purchases. Like an honest fellow, I lied.

< Message edited by dsGris -- 10/4/2010 11:49:00 PM >

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 79
RE: The Moratorium - 10/6/2010 10:41:45 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Is buying wine at a restaurant a break of the non-buying streak or is that a rationalization?

The other reason I mention this is because the wine purchase and our dinner table discussion reminded me of the thread here. The wine was Upland Estates 2007 Old Vine Cabernet, a favorite new local producer of ours. We've had the wine before as well as other Upland wines and have loved them all.

As I was pouring her the second glass, my wife said, "We need to buy a case of this."

Post #: 80
RE: The Moratorium - 10/6/2010 11:04:12 AM   
caeleric

quote:

Is buying wine at a restaurant a break of the non-buying streak or is that a rationalization?

The other reason I mention this is because the wine purchase and our dinner table discussion reminded me of the thread here. The wine was Upland Estates 2007 Old Vine Cabernet, a favorite new local producer of ours. We've had the wine before as well as other Upland wines and have loved them all.

As I was pouring her the second glass, my wife said, "We need to buy a case of this."

i don't think it's breaking the rules, but don't get us started on the egregious gouging inflicted by restaurants through wine mark-ups! that topic has been exhausted in so many different threads.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

Post #: 81
RE: The Moratorium - 10/6/2010 11:43:58 AM   
Gnoop

quote:

It depends.  In my case, the moratorium is externally induced (wife).  In this case, I've found that simply buying a nice glass of wine gets me no scorn whereas a bargain bottle that might cost as much as the glass from dinner will be highly frowned upon.  Needless to say I've been scouring the 'net for various local spots that just happen to have some wine by the glass that I might enjoy.

Yet my wife ends up in the same boat as your wife.  We came across a nice Chile cab that we both really liked and was pretty cheap.  My wife went back to buy the last 3 bottles and was trying to buy another 9 (which never really materialized).  This during what was the moratorium.  I may need to give her more opportunities to happen upon good wine deals

Post #: 82
RE: The Moratorium - 10/8/2010 3:36:11 AM   
caeleric

d@mn you wine spectator insider!! i went to my favorite local wine retailer and bought their last 3 bottles of the K Vintners Syrah Northridge Wahluke Slope 2007 that just received 96 points from spectator. at $32 per bottle, i couldn't resist. < $100 isn't a budget breaker, but it does violate the moratorium. not to mention that i was recently offered a piece of a friend's allocation of loring's new chardonnay project and cabernet-mourvedre project which is an hommage to brian loring's love of bodegas el nido's high-end "el nido" wine.

and to throw another wrench into the moratorium, ct says i consume about 120 bottles a year. with a cellar just around 300 bottles, many of which still need a few years to come around, i don't have enough wine to last me more than 1.5-2 years. i need to either 1) reduce my consumption to make my cellar last longer, or 2) continue to purchase but bring my per-bottle average down to a more manageable level. it's not astronomical right now, but it's higher than what i should be spending.

< Message edited by caeleric -- 10/8/2010 3:37:36 AM >

what i got

(in reply to Gnoop)
Post #: 83
RE: The Moratorium - 10/8/2010 5:03:28 AM   
musedir

2010 has been a wash out for the Moratorium... no will power at all. Ist quarter 139 bottles, 2nd Q 76 and 3rd 52... well, at least it shows a diminishing rate of acquisition.

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 84
RE: The Moratorium - 10/8/2010 12:16:44 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Forgive me, Father, I have strayed.

I blame Paul Zitarelli at Full Pull. He has become my nemesis by dangling offers of Washington wines that I know I love, or strongly suspect that I will, at prices less than I can't find elsewhere, many times for wines that I cannot get elsewhere. Yesterday he dangled Betz Boushey Syrah. I was strong and ignored the offer. Today, casual Friday at work, he sends an update flouting how magnificent an earlier bottle was and again dangling.

Unless I was too late on the "send request" click, days without making "necessary" wine purchase - 0.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 85
RE: The Moratorium - 10/8/2010 8:25:44 PM   
gbm

If you guys have had a push and a straying, I have had an all out system failure.

My purchases have doubled in both volume and overall cost - although, strangely, my average bottle price (henceforth to be referred to as ABP because average bottle price is too long to type...especially after a bottle of wine) has decreased.

Greg

Post #: 86
RE: The Moratorium - 10/10/2010 12:35:07 PM   
caeleric

The floodgates are open. Just bought 3 750 mL Hall Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley for $30 @ Costco. 94 points from spectator for $30. Not too shabby!

what i got

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 87
RE: The Moratorium - 10/10/2010 3:49:11 PM   
geppetto

Small slip. Bought 3 bottles of 2007 Saint Cosme CdP. $150, but still not bad compared to pre-moratorium trends.

Post #: 88
RE: The Moratorium - 10/11/2010 2:22:21 PM   
wadcorp

ABSTAINER, n. – A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure. A total abstainer is one who abstains from everything but abstention, and especially from inactivity in the affairs of others.

–– Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914), The Devil's Dictionary (1906)

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 89
RE: The Moratorium - 10/11/2010 2:39:57 PM   
dsGris

Full Pull has knack for getting the pulse up.  I just needed that Betz, only one and not the usual 3 pac and two of the Waters Syrah @ $18 just to keep in the game.  Almost two weeks and three bottles, I can live with that.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI