CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: The Moratorium

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Moratorium - 11/19/2010 12:01:12 PM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

More tricks! My e-mail nemisis, Paul Zitarelli/Full Pull has today advertised a mystery Malbec from Yakima Valley. This is Trey Busch's Renegade project where vineyard sources aren't always disclosed. The trick part is that Paul suggests using CellarTracker to narrow the likely vineyard sources. Hmmm, didn't know you could do that, but a few quick clicks on the search advanced got me this list of wines that might be further dissected to find places in the Yak growing Malbec. I'm not buying this time though, my wallet is exhausted, but I think this may be the first time I've ever seen a retailer use CellarTracker and the search functions here to sell wine.

FWIW my favorite Malbec from Yakima, Uplands, isn't listed in this search because it's a sub appellation, Snipes Mountain. Depending on who you ask the Yakima sub appellations (Red Mountain, Rattlesnake Hills, Snipes Mountain) may be part of included possible vineyard sources. Or not.

Even though Malbec is high on my list and I have not tried the WA ones, I am going to resist. That is unless I need one or two to fill a case.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 121
RE: The Moratorium - 11/30/2010 5:38:29 PM   
khmark7

Only 6 bottles this month.  I had enough money left over to buy a nice Persian rug.  I'm just sayin....

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 122
RE: The Moratorium - 11/30/2010 5:43:04 PM   
PSUSteve

49 bottles for me this month, if I resist for the rest of the night. Three hours to go. I need to buy less in December. I need to build a cellar. Soon!

Good wine is a necessity of life to me. - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 123
RE: The Moratorium - 12/1/2010 7:45:21 AM   
caeleric

i broke the moratorium, but for good reason.

a winemaker of a small outfit in napa hosted my wife and me at his facility earlier this year when we visited and was an extremely gracious host. i bought a mixed case of his wine, and have since bought some more. i have also tried some of his other wines that i did not buy. my impressions have been mixed, with some hitting home runs with me and some not so much. i was excited to open one of the homer wines a couple months ago, only to have it horribly corked. i contacted the winemaker, and not only did he offer to replace the corked bottle plus 1 more, he also offered to give me 4 bottles at no charge of one of the wines i tried but didn't buy because they didn't show well, AND he offered me first dibs on a library release of an '02 wine. so i broke the moratorium and bought 6 bottles of the library release. customer service goes a LONG way for me. i'm hesitant to disclose who it is because some of you may know him or his wines, and to my knowledge the library release hasn't been offered to his other customers yet. regardless, it was a much-appreciated gesture!

EDIT: looking back at the correspondence between the winemaker and me, i offered to buy the 4 bottles of the one that didn't show well. i'm not sure from his recent offer whether he's going to comp those. i certainly don't expect him to; just wanted to be update my post to be more accurate.

< Message edited by caeleric -- 12/1/2010 11:56:58 AM >

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to PSUSteve)
Post #: 124
RE: The Moratorium - 12/1/2010 8:04:12 AM   
smigdiggler

The little people in Napa are nicer than you think

Semi retired from the wine business, but can't seem to let go of opportunities when they present themselves

PlaywrightWines on Instagram

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 125
RE: The Moratorium - 12/1/2010 8:16:46 AM   
GoodToGrape

Moratoriums have proven to be malleable things to me. Like much in our society, these grand pronouncements feel empowering at the time, but they tend fall apart when exposed to the light of reality. I've never met a moratorium that can't be disintegrated by a killer deal or a "can't miss" limited release from a cherished producer. Because I lack the self-discipline for adhering to moratoriums, I am hereby officially declaring a moratorium on moratoriums.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 126
RE: The Moratorium - 12/1/2010 9:00:18 AM   
GalvezGuy

10 bottles in November, 4 2006 Don Melchor (great price) and 6 of Smig's De La Terre (and a great purchase, I must say)

I am doing better, if purchases stay at this level, I will be able to maintain proper storage. I plan on going through December without a purchase.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 127
RE: The Moratorium - 12/1/2010 9:05:54 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

Because I lack the self-discipline for adhering to moratoriums, I am hereby officially declaring a moratorium on moratoriums.

I second the motion!  

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 128
RE: The Moratorium - 12/1/2010 9:57:30 AM   
musedir

This is clearly a buyer in trouble or he's posting on the wrong thread... (What I just bought or What showed up today...)! And after reading caeleric's marvelous treatment in Napa fropm an unnamed source and GG's November buys, I vote with Cookie that this is a thread for habitual rule breakers. And yes, I've bought almost a case in the past three weeks so I'm not throwing any stones.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to PSUSteve)
Post #: 129
RE: The Moratorium - 12/1/2010 11:48:59 AM   
PSUSteve

My post was in the intended thread. Since I am in a planned accumulation phase, I haven't previously thought about a moratorium. When I saw the recent post, I went out to see how many bottles I purchase in November. The answer caused me to think about a moratorium until I can finalize my plans to build a cellar. The EuroCaves are close to max capacity.

Good wine is a necessity of life to me. - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 130
RE: The Moratorium - 12/1/2010 12:08:41 PM   
YoDaddyO

You had me at "mor..."

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to PSUSteve)
Post #: 131
RE: The Moratorium - 12/5/2010 1:43:58 PM   
dsGris

With a good intension of not succumbing to temptation, I could not resist a few deals from Full Pull & Garagiste.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 132
RE: The Moratorium - 12/8/2010 7:46:38 AM   
GalvezGuy

Still only 1 bottle in December and 10 in November. With all of the good JJ Buckley and Champers offers, I have been quite disciplined.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 133
RE: The Moratorium - 12/8/2010 9:47:32 AM   
wineismylife

Gotcha beat.  4 in November and 0 in December.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 134
RE: The Moratorium - 12/8/2010 9:53:27 AM   
mj

I don't even want to discuss 2010. Very scary...next year is a new year, and I will be buying much less! -mJ

< Message edited by mj -- 12/8/2010 5:16:37 PM >

BLOG: http://jerseyfoodies.blogspot.com
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/njfoodies
TWITTER: njfoodies

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 135
RE: The Moratorium - 12/8/2010 9:59:21 AM   
wineismylife

Convince me rookie.  

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to mj)
Post #: 136
RE: The Moratorium - 12/8/2010 10:20:08 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

Still only 1 bottle in December and 10 in November. With all of the good JJ Buckley and Champers offers, I have been quite disciplined.

6 in November and 5 so far in December....  No doubt I will pick up a few more bottles of bubbly this month.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 137
RE: The Moratorium - 12/8/2010 10:36:26 AM   
Stirling

Only 2 so far in December. But it was very limited production Sheridan Cab S Res. Does that count as an excuse??

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 138
RE: The Moratorium - 12/8/2010 10:57:09 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

Only 2 so far in December. But it was very limited production Sheridan Cab S Res. Does that count as an excuse??

Not really . What's the vintage on the Sheridan Reserve Cab? I don't belong to their club or list but sometimes get a backdoor opened through a distributer.

My Moratorium efforts have slipped a little lately, but I blame my WIFE!!! We went to Woodinville with a strict spending limit she imposed, then SHE violated it at the first tasting room. By the end of the day it was 3X said limit and we brought home our normal almost full case from a day on the trail. And signed up for another wine club.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 139
RE: The Moratorium - 12/8/2010 11:24:27 AM   
Stirling

It was the 07. And I would break the moratorium again if I could find their 07 Reserve Syrah!

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 140
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 12:07:39 AM   
dsGris

Nothing like a major computer crash to limit buying. I was so bummed, I went out and bought 6 whites for my wife on sale at QFC. I got major points and I don't think it counts when I buy for some one else. My wife is working on me to accept the principle that it is more blessed to give than receive. Some kind of trick I think. I feel good again and can resist the urge to splurge. Delete or wait, it feels good.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 141
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 10:04:11 AM   
GalvezGuy

Still no December purchases althought I was tempted by a 2006 Chateau St Jean Cinq Cepages offer, it can wait until after the holidays when the blitz on the cellars frees up some storage.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 142
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 11:42:07 AM   
Stirling

Picked up 2 each of the 07 Dominus and 07 Phelps Insignia. I am pathetic.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 143
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 3:31:36 PM   
musedir

I'm pretty much a hopeless case, but went into my neighborhood adult beverage shoppe and was confronted with decent prices on a few wines I can use on Sunday... Let them breathe for a couple of hours and they should please. But December has been a lost cause in so many ways ( except or my SS... Thank you)!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 144
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 4:00:00 PM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

Picked up 2 each of the 07 Dominus and 07 Phelps Insignia. I am pathetic.

Joining you in the Pathetic Club...
I couldn't resist the 07 Leonetti Cab, the 08 Leonetti Sangiovese aaaand the 08 Alban Syrah

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 145
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 4:37:39 PM   
caeleric

I caved too. But I managed to buy 18 bottles of wine for less than $300 including shipping. That has to count for something.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 146
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 4:41:57 PM   
Stirling

Who could possibly resist those wines??!!!??

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 147
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 5:16:04 PM   
musedir

The balance of whites to reds is noticeable! Nevertheless, you are hereby forgiven your vino peccadillos due to the extraordinary massing of reds!

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 148
RE: The Moratorium - 12/14/2010 7:41:38 PM   
Stirling

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

The balance of whites to reds is noticeable! Nevertheless, you are hereby forgiven your vino peccadillos due to the extraordinary massing of reds!

Bless me Father, for I have sinned. May I receive similar absolution if I go out and buy a bunch of whites???

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 149
RE: The Moratorium - 12/15/2010 3:25:35 AM   
musedir

You are absolved for now but show a little backbone with the next Garagiste ad...

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Moratorium Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI