CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Cappellano Barolos

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Cappellano Barolos Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cappellano Barolos - 1/17/2007 1:54:59 PM   
andrew

Teobaldo Cappellano is one of the masters of old-school Barolo. His idiosyncracies in viticulture and nomenclature are causing a great deal of confusion. Here is a quick guide to enter his wines correctly.

Cappellano currently produces two Barolos:

- Barolo Otin Fiorin Piè Ruprestis
- Barolo Otin Foirin Piè Franco

(Older < 1990 are simply labelled Barolo).

The vineyard holding are all in the prestigous "Gabutti" area of Serralunga, but this information appears no where on the label. It is present in nearly all the literature though. What does appear is "Otin Fiorin." Teobaldo is refusing to put the name Gabutti on his labels in protest of what he sees as the laxness of standards in the use of that name. Otin Fiorin was the name of the farmer who long tended the vines and Teobaldo has put his name on the label instead. For Cellartracker, we have wimped out and split the difference. The vineyard for all Cappellano Barolos appears as "Otin Fiorin (Gabutti)"

There are two sections to Cappellano's vineyard. The difference is in the nature of the vines. One section is grafted, the other is not. These are named as follows:

Piè Franco : (Franc de Pied in French) are ungrafted vines, unique as far as I know in Barolo. Teobaldo planted these in the 80s.

Piè Ruprestis : Grafted vines, Ruprestis is the name of the rootstock.

Both of these are placed in the designation field in Cellartracker. Please note which you have and enter it in the correct version.

Thanks,

A.

< Message edited by andrew -- 1/21/2007 6:05:38 AM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Wine Data Errors & Corrections >> Cappellano Barolos Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI