CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Warning: Don't Try this at Home

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Warning: Don't Try this at Home Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 6:14:32 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Yesterday, I opened a very nice bottle of unoaked(?) or lightly oaked chardonnay from an unlabelled bottle acquired from hankj. I've also had the pleasure of quaffing some limoncello from the basement of cookiefiend (BTW, that little bottle looks like it's refillable ). I heard rumors of other home brews during the Secret Santa exchange.

I bottled my second vintage (or fourth depending on how you count) over the weekend, a Tempranillo. Yesterday I placed my order for 2011 vintage fruit, Riesling and Syrah (with a side of Viognier).

Who else is making their own wines? How much? What do you have in the pipeline? Are you growing the fruit? What works? What doesn't?

[I searched for threads here on home winemaking and didn't really see any specific to the topic, though I've seen some discussion about acquiring vineyards for home use and buying grapes in back alleys, etc... We have some pro winery folks and winemakers here also, and their input is welcome too.]

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173
Post #: 1
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 6:26:05 AM   
floydtp

Glad to see this thread as I have been threatening to get into wine and/or beer making for a few years now. Given my location, making wine from kits is a more likely scenario for me. You probably have found this site, but if not the link below is a good forum for winemaking enthusiasts.

Fine Vine Wines/The Winemakers Toy Store Forum

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 2
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 6:54:54 AM   
musedir

Gonna have to try some of your home brew while I am in your neck of the woods...

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 3
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 8:19:50 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Great, another forum to feed my habits . I've actually never visited that one, but it looks like some good info and conversation. Tied a little bit to the retailer, but not too much so.

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydtp

Glad to see this thread as I have been threatening to get into wine and/or beer making for a few years now. Given my location, making wine from kits is a more likely scenario for me. You probably have found this site, but if not the link below is a good forum for winemaking enthusiasts.

Fine Vine Wines/The Winemakers Toy Store Forum

I glanced through their forum and store to compare prices with what I'm paying for fruit mainly. I get fresh grapes at $1.00/pound which is actually a little high for this area, but my supplier is someone I trust and believe she won't sell me bad fruit. I get e-mail updates on vineyard progress and weekly lab results and flavor descriptors nearer harvest. Last year she refused to sell me Riesling because it never got where she thought it should.

The kit prices there are interesting and I wonder how that works exactly, particularly since my neighborhood (Washington, Yakima, Red Mountain, even Walla Walla) are listed AVA's on many of the kits. ~$100 +/- gets you 5 gallons of juice. My yield from 150 pounds of raw Tempranillo ($150) was 10 gallons of wine, so the kits are a decent deal.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 3/29/2011 8:20:19 AM >

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 4
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 8:49:05 AM   
caeleric

i want to do this so bad!! it's definitely on my bucket list to make a barrel of my own wine. 

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

Post #: 5
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 1:50:01 PM   
khmark7

I'm planning on planting a few grape plants next to my house, mainly for the fun of it.  I'm going to plant a few Niagara and one each of Catawba and Concord.  I'm much more interested in the growing of grapes, and this will be my first opportunity to learn how it's done.   All I'm waiting for now is some better temperatures outside.  I'm very excited!

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 6
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 3:50:49 PM   
prasm

I'm the guy that included a bottle of "home brew" with my Secret Santa gift.  It was a blend of 2006 Napa Valley State Lane Cabernet (60%), 2007 Napa Valley Suscol Ranch Merlot (25%), 2007 and Napa Valley Caldwell Ranch Cabernet Franc (15%) which I made right here in the bread basket of America - Nebraska.  I've made several other blends and bottled single vineyards also.

I purchased 50 lb buckets of frozen must from Peter Brehm (http://brehmvineyards.com/) which worked out much better than any kit wine I ever made.  I haven't made wine for a few years now, mostly because I've made more than I can drink and my friends and relatives are getting sick of home-made wine gifts.  It is a fun hobby, and it can very rewarding if you do it right.  The most common mistake home wine makers make is not keeping their wine making materials clean and sterile. While I'm pretty satisfied with my wine blends from Brehm's frozen must I've yet to make a 90+ point wine, by my palate anyway.

My favorite wine making site has always been WinePress (http://www.winepress.us/).  That place is full of "expert" amateur wine makers who actually enjoy sharing their wealth of winemaking knowledge with beginners. 

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 7
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 5:04:43 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Another good forum link... thanks, prasm.

A question for you about blending. Did you know when you ordered the fruit what you wanted or how did you do blending trials? I've thought about attempting a GSM or other Rhone blend, but debating how much of each grape to source or what I'd end up with, maybe a couple of blends, and "leftovers" of single varietals ???

This was solved for me recently since "my" vineyard had their grenache frozen back to the ground, but I still may try to find another source of Grenache and/or Mourvedre or Counoise. I just recently sampled my first 100% counoise and loved it. Tasted like a blending grape for sure though.

caeleric, the west coast needs bean counters too and as prasm has shown, a continent is not a barrier.

khmark7, I'd be planting Chambourcin in IL. I had about a dozen vines (Cab, Syrah, Merlot, Riesling) started at my last place in WA, but we ended up moving. I need to get my irrigation system in order (and about 300 other home projects) but we're definitely looking at a small vineyard at our new place sometime soon. My co-worker/friend who taught me winemaking has 100 vines in 8 rows I think which produce over his legal limit for home consumption. He skirts it by having his "students" and friends take some of his fruit. I'd use his fruit, but I prefer different varietals from what he grows.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 3/29/2011 5:06:15 PM >

(in reply to prasm)
Post #: 8
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 8:02:46 PM   
prasm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Another good forum link... thanks, prasm.

A question for you about blending. Did you know when you ordered the fruit what you wanted or how did you do blending trials? I've thought about attempting a GSM or other Rhone blend, but debating how much of each grape to source or what I'd end up with, maybe a couple of blends, and "leftovers" of single varietals ???

This was solved for me recently since "my" vineyard had their grenache frozen back to the ground, but I still may try to find another source of Grenache and/or Mourvedre or Counoise. I just recently sampled my first 100% counoise and loved it. Tasted like a blending grape for sure though.

Yes I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted to blend and went through the same debates you describe.  I wanted to make both a left and right bank Bordeaux blend.  So I did a blind tasting trial of 6 different blends of each before making my final decisions.  As a result, after blending I ended up with a few single vineyard bottles and a little leftover "Frankenstein" blend. 

Prior to blending, while aging my wines in carboys, I made a rookie mistake over oaking the State Lane Cabernet by using too many heavy toast oak chips, something I didn't think would happen using just a few more chips than were recommended.  As a result the dominate characteristic in all my blends is smoke, which does dissipate with about an hour of air time allowing the blue and black fruits to show through.  That's the thing about this hobby, a little mistake can have a pretty large impact.

Post #: 9
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 3/29/2011 8:34:45 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

That's the thing about this hobby, a little mistake can have a pretty large impact.

No doubt. My "coaches", both my co-worker and the vineyard goddess where I buy my fruit, have advised me constantly... tinker less, be patient, take copious notes, and "shoot low" meaning do things in small increments whether it be sulfiting, oaking, sugaring up, etc... It's much easier to add more than to reverse an OVER anything.

I'm pretty good about all of that except note taking. I started pretty good on my first batch, which was a Cherry "Country" Wine, but ever since it's been totally by feel and luck. Need to take better notes particularly if I do blend trials.

ETA:

This Book is one I've used quite a bit. Well written and enough detail to understand the hows and whys (IMO).

I also have this book. Good info on vineyard start up, trellising, etc... not so strong on winemaking, IMO.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 3/30/2011 9:47:12 AM >

(in reply to prasm)
Post #: 10
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/11/2011 12:52:36 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Thought I'd share a brix report I got today from the vineyard where I buy grapes. This year I have Riesling and Syrah on order, with a small side of Viognier for potential cofermenting with the Syrah. The vineyard is mid Yakima Valley and has good air drainage, so frost is not usually a problem even up to November 1 or later. In 2009, we picked Riesling on October 23 at ~23 brix. In 2010, my Tempranillo was picked on October 25 at ~24 Brix.

Brix test Date Date Date
Varietal 9/22 10/3 10/11

Riesling 16.0 16.5 19.0
Semillon 16.3 19.0 18.6
Viognier 16.1 18.7 20.5
Chardonnay 18.2 20.0 20.1
Zinfandel 16.0 17.0 19.0
Cab Sauv 15.8 18.0 19.2
Sangiovese 16.3 17.2 18.5
Syrah 17.1 20.1 21.5
Petit Verdot 16.1 18.0 20.0
Lemberger 17.2 19.3 19.1
Tempranillo - 18.5 22.1
Pinot Noir 16.5 18.6 20.1
Cab Franc 14.0 17.2 18.0

Post #: 11
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/11/2011 1:08:37 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: caeleric

i want to do this so bad!! it's definitely on my bucket list to make a barrel of my own wine. 

+1...I'd probably be doing it now if I had a garage or other suitable space for it.
quote:

This Book is one I've used quite a bit. Well written and enough detail to understand the hows and whys (IMO).

I also have this book. Good info on vineyard start up, trellising, etc... not so strong on winemaking, IMO.

I got that first book for Christmas last year and really enjoyed reading through it.  I don't have the second one, but I do also have this one (although I haven't read it yet.)

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 12
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/11/2011 1:13:03 PM   
Tpety

I had been brewing beer for 8 years when I bought a house with both a Cherry and a Plum tree. 2011 was my third harvest year and I also planted a Marquette grape that is promising to be both cold hearty and make decent red wine.

I've found that as easy as beer is to brew, wine is even easier and I've made some incredibly good wines so far!

Post #: 13
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/11/2011 1:29:43 PM   
ckinv368

I bought a Cab kit over the weekend and am going to give it a try maybe next weekend. Missed the window for fresh fruit here in TX since it was such a hot and dry summer. We'll see how/if it works out.

(in reply to Tpety)
Post #: 14
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/11/2011 2:04:47 PM   
RobRah

I brew various meads. On the go at the moment are a 2010 cyser (a basic apple/honey) which is ready for bottling, a 2011 sundried banana/honey mix (wildflower honey from Mount Athos in Greece), and a 2011 elderberry/choocolate mix (Lithauanian Buckwheat honey and Greek pine honey). The choice of honey characterises the resulting drinks. I'll be preparing my last 2011 in a few weeks: rosehips and Lithuanian raspberry-flower honey.

I have a Dornfelder vine in the garden but the last few years have seen appalling crops. Though I have one bottle from 2010 to broach - I am scared....

< Message edited by RobRah -- 10/11/2011 2:07:04 PM >

My CT Profile

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 15
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/11/2011 6:59:42 PM   
champagneinhand

I've 3 rows of grapes growing in the back. Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, a lonely Pinot Noir which probably won't survive and a row of Fronteac Gris. The last varietal is a development out of Cornell University that has similar to Hungary's furmint vines. I had some good fruit this year but not enough to press and get 6 gallons from, due to the 3 wet cold weeks at the close of Summer. Next year will be great (I hope), and I will make some good sticky Icewine. I am buying 3 gallons of late harvest vidal blanc from a local ciderhouse/wine grape and juice supplier. The juice won't be ready until early November, but should turnout well. I will be using the PET carboy this year and hopefully that will work out nicely. It really makes you appreciate the winemakers job as much as the people who maintain the vines. At my house I do both. Beer is the next project, as I have dabbled in using my essential oil extractor for things the feds might not approve of. Though those were limited to experimental sizes and the Rum was put into a mason jar with 6 vanilla beans, which in about 3 years will turn into fantastically homemade vanilla extract.

I did watch "James May drinks to Britain," this year and would love to try Peary. I dont know where I would get the pears, but blend bartlet, d'anjou with Asian pear juices sounds like an interesting home brew.

(in reply to RobRah)
Post #: 16
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/27/2011 11:57:05 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

My updated results that matter to me. I'm picking (well actually someone else is doing that actual picking, I'm picking up) on this Sunday, 10/30, the Syrah and Viognier. Decided to let the Riesling hang another 4-7 days. Maybe the acids will drop a bit, and let me get the red into fermentation, and out of the way.

Brix test Date Date Date
Varietal 9/22 10/3 10/11 10/17 (pH) 10/22 (pH) 10/27 (pH)

Riesling 16.0 16.5 19.0 18.5 (2.99) 20.0 (3.05) 22.2 (3.05)
Viognier 16.1 18.7 20.5 20.8 (3.20) 22.8 (3.28) 24.3 (3.22)
Syrah 17.1 20.1 21.5 22.5 (3.31) 24.0 (3.27) 25.1 (3.32)

I am very happy to be deciding at leisure when to pick/crush, and my livelyhood doesn't depend on it. This harvest has been very compressed time wise for Washington and this week I've heard reports of midnight harvest of 100 acres of Chardonnay and frost/freeze over last 2 nights in the Yakima Valley. Other areas not affected so much. Weather.com reported 19 degrees F for Prosser on Wednesday morning. My vineyard source is on a very prominent little knob just north of Prosser, smack in the lower middle Yakima AVA, but is very well protected from such events due to its location and wind machines.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/27/2011 12:10:44 PM >

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 17
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/27/2011 1:02:45 PM   
Tpety

Wind machines? Just when I thought I had everything I needed to make decent wines. Where can I get one?

Post #: 18
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/27/2011 3:58:08 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tpety

Wind machines? Just when I thought I had everything I needed to make decent wines. Where can I get one?

Wind Machines have replaced smut pots most places.

Don't know if this will work, but one vineyard posted a pretty cool wind machine video yesterday from atop the machine...

Steppe Cellars wind machine

(in reply to Tpety)
Post #: 19
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/28/2011 8:04:56 AM   
Tpety

"Orchard-Rite® wind machines are the industry’s most dependable protection against the damaging effects of spring frosts and winter freezes."

I'm not sure that would help much when my vines are covered with 42 inches of snow. It sure would look cool in my backyard though!

Post #: 20
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/28/2011 2:03:04 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

Wind machines have replaced smut pots most places.

Not on my computer. 

Post #: 21
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/31/2011 8:39:39 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Albert Pujols agrees to buy my grapes for all the good luck I gave the Cards this year. [please re-sign with the Cardinals, sir]

204 pounds of Syrah and 30 pounds of Viognier in the back of Jethro,

Into the crusher/destemmer borrowed from my buddy John. Man, this thing saves a lot of time and effort vs. just a crusher, which is what I've used in past years.

Out the bottom, sans stems.

Into the bucket for a cold soak for a while.

The free run juice, ~24.5 Brix. Yummy stuff.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 22
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/31/2011 8:48:43 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Do you always co-ferment this blend? Any problems in the past?

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

Post #: 23
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/31/2011 8:49:04 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Tpety, when I picked up my grapes, the vineyard goddess as SO Fruit had about a dozen 1000 pound bins of Syrah loaded for a trip to Wisconsin wineries. These guys, Cedar Creek Winery were the reciever, but 3 wineries were sharing the shipment.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 10/31/2011 11:21:09 AM >

Post #: 24
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 10/31/2011 8:50:03 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

Do you always co-ferment this blend? Any problems in the past?

My first attempt at co-fermenting. Or at making Syrah of any type, Tim.

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 25
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/6/2011 1:04:43 AM   
vinoterp

quote:

I'm planning on planting a few grape plants next to my house, mainly for the fun of it.  I'm going to plant a few Niagara and one each of Catawba and Concord.  I'm much more interested in the growing of grapes, and this will be my first opportunity to learn how it's done.   All I'm waiting for now is some better temperatures outside.  I'm very excited!

I planted grapes last year, a good read is "From Vines to Wine" by Jeff Cox to me it's like the bible of grape growing and gave me alot of valuable information for my first attempt, I'm sure alot of people here can chime in on other books or sources, but I'd highly recommend it!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 26
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/7/2011 10:05:01 PM   
ckinv368

First bought a kit and thought I'd start slow and try to learn the technique. As soon as that entered secondary fermentation I was offered barbera and viognier grapes. How could I pass those up, even if it was a trial by fire? So now I'm in the middle of the primary fermentation (at roughly 55 degrees) for the viognier, and more or less just finished the primary fermentation for the barbera. Now doing a cold-soak extended maceration for the barbera, although I'm realizing a tank of CO2 and a hose with a male adapter would be much preferrable to dry ice for purging the air from the top of the fermenters.

Any advice on how long I should do a post-fermentation extended maceration for the barbera? I also plan to run it through malolactic fermentation, then add a bit of oak during bulk aging. Any thoughts? Am I way off the mark? Haven't drunk a lot of barbera, but it was the varietal offered me at the last minute, so am trying to make the most of it.

(in reply to vinoterp)
Post #: 27
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/8/2011 1:02:28 PM   
champagneinhand

I actually gave up on my idea to purchase local late harvest grape juice this year and opted to purchased a 5 gallon bucket from a cider mill/winery about 3 miles from my house. % gallons of Syrah for $49.50 was a bargain, and the stuff tasted like something other-worldy delicious, before I got down to the fermenting. I have racked this wine for the final time after 3 weeks of cold fermentation + malo. Now it has to sit in the carboy until next fall. The only problem with the 5 gallon pails is that most new large carboys are 6 gallon size. I ended up fermenting a small mixture of pomegranate, blueberry and raspberry juice with the pulps separate. When racking I've added several bottles of Syrah, Cab S& Cab F/ merlot blends to top off with to make up for what was lost after the heavy particulates settled during a night that grazed the freezing point. This was nice timing because now I won't have to filter or use any sparkloid. I do plan on using 500ml bottles when it comes time for bottling. Has anybody used oak chips in the must when they are fermenting? I tried that this year and hope that's all the oak I'll need. The cold also de-gassed the must, so know I just have to wait patiently.

Doing things like this aren't necessarily to produce great wine, but are huge in learning what goes into the bottles we drink. My next door neighbor has be making good beer for years and actually has planted German Hops that will be 4 years old next Spring. I also have a still, legally known as an essential oil extractor and have used it for several recipe's. Oh, I am legally required to state that any distillate I have made has gone towards making vanilla extract. This is also a true statement because I would ever think of drinking something that hasn't gone through multi-column distillation like the pros use. Again all in the cause of a higher understanding of beverage making.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 28
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/8/2011 2:11:17 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Hey, we've a got a conversation going...

quote:

First bought a kit and thought I'd start slow and try to learn the technique. As soon as that entered secondary fermentation I was offered barbera and viognier grapes. How could I pass those up, even if it was a trial by fire? So now I'm in the middle of the primary fermentation (at roughly 55 degrees) for the viognier, and more or less just finished the primary fermentation for the barbera. Now doing a cold-soak extended maceration for the barbera, although I'm realizing a tank of CO2 and a hose with a male adapter would be much preferrable to dry ice for purging the air from the top of the fermenters.

Any advice on how long I should do a post-fermentation extended maceration for the barbera? I also plan to run it through malolactic fermentation, then add a bit of oak during bulk aging. Any thoughts? Am I way off the mark? Haven't drunk a lot of barbera, but it was the varietal offered me at the last minute, so am trying to make the most of it.

ckinv368, question for you, how are you keeping the Viognier at 55 F?

I have no real advice on the Barbera except that it typically is a HIGH acid grape. The one I made in 2009 was off the charts, like 1.5 TA, when I tested the must. (my grapes were free and at the time I realized why those rows probably were left behind by the winery). But like you said I was learning more than shooting for fine wine. My Barbera is now used mainly as an acidifier for cooking sauces.

Extended maceration is something I'm trying for the first time right now in a few more days, so I can't help there either except going in my idea will be do press when the flavors and color of the free run juice "feel right", whatever that means. I don't have ANY way to keep air off the wine totally, my fermenter is a garbage can, so this may affect my confidence level for extended masceration.

Oaking with chips is something I have done (finally), and again no hard answers, but my rule of thumb has been STOP when it tastes "right". One way I did this was to split batches. i.e. one carboy oaked, one not oaked, and tasted them side by side after 1 week, 2 weeks, etc... When "oaked" carboy got where I wanted it, I mixed and re-split the batch and went another week or two and called it good. This time I expect 3-4 carboys and will stagger chip amounts and do a similar sampling every week for 2-3 months (guessing).

quote:

Has anybody used oak chips in the must when they are fermenting?

champinhand, I don't see why this wouldn't work fine, but my taste as you go approach I describe above is much harder when you have two things happening as once, fermentation and oaking. I've found this time tasting my syrah during fermentation and punchdowns has been valuable. Last Friday, at ~15 Brix left and big bubbles it was a dead ringer for Grape Nehi. Sunday night at ~ 5 brix, much less grapey, more winey. This morning at ~2 Brix, all the brand new! alcohol was very noticable, but I can start to taste the tannin profile and backbone of the wine (I think). I want all those primary acids and reactions to be done before I initiate an oaking or aging regimen. Again these are all words of an amateur, so it all may be total bunk.

FWIW, too I've never done any kit winemaking, but in reading those instructions on-line the use of various additives, sparkloids, flavor packets, acids, etc... this seems like unduly manipulating the grapes to me. With time most solids will settle out and can be racked off. I've done it that way every time and never had crunchy wine and it's always been clear enough for me. But maybe kit making preprocessing makes the wine behave differently than fresh grapes. I dunno.

My own batch of Syrah, started 9 days ago, cold soaked for the first ~4 days after dose of sulfite and peptic enzyme, then I innoculated last Thursday, my primary fermentation went faster than expected at 75-80 F and I described the flavors and status above up until today. I'm expecting to press it off by this time next week at the latest. Then into carboys where I'll try to mostly ignore it for a few months.

In other news, my vineyard goddess called today and reported my Riesling was still hovering at 22-23 Brix, no more sugars, acids still high. I decided to give it a go anyway, and will be picking up those 150 pounds on Thursday. My 2009 Riesling was 24-25 Brix and ideal start to finish. This one may require more skill than I have, but if I don't try, I'll never know.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/8/2011 2:19:55 PM >

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 29
RE: Warning: Don't Try this at Home - 11/11/2011 8:31:29 AM   
ckinv368

Thanks for the advice ChrisinSunnyside. Definitely want to add some oak to my kit cab (probably this weekend when I rack it), and to the barbera in a month or so for sure.

I can provide an update on the extended maceration: bought gallon-sized ozarka water bottles, dumped some of the water out, then froze them. Use those to keep the barbera cool / cold. Then bought some dry ice and put a small chunk in each fermenter to create the carbon dioxide needed to keep the oxygen off the wine. Sealed the lid, put an air-lock in, and I was good to go. Only problem is that it's hard to keep dry ice for very long. SO, I went to my local welding supply shop and picked up a 10 pound tank of CO2. Also went to the wine-making store I frequent (winemakers toy store) and asked them for the cheapest regulator they had, and about 3 feet of rubber hose. Now I replace the frozen gallon jugs every evening, then thread the CO2 hose into the airlock hole, spurt a few seconds worth of CO2 into each fermenter, then replace the airlock. Think it's working pretty well.

As for the wine itself---you can definitely tell the extended maceration is working, because many of the grapes have started "falling out" of the cap, and settling into the lees. I've heard when the cap sinks your extended maceration should be over. So I plan on pressing the grapes tomorrow, putting the wine into a carboy (or two), then starting malolactic fermentation.

As for keeping the Viognier at 55 degrees: I have it in my cellar. There's just enough room for the skinny bucket I'm fermenting the wine in. I would have put the barbera fermenters in there as well but they're just slightly too wide to fit. But the Viognier is still happily fermenting away. Haven't wanted to open it up to check its stats, but the air lock is still bubbling very frequently. There was a lot of sugar to ferment (the juice started right around 30 brix prior to a bit of dilution), so figure it may take another week or two. When things start slowing down I'll take the fermenter out and allow it to finish at room temperature (so it doesn't get stuck).

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Warning: Don't Try this at Home Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI