CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 12/18/2017 7:21:08 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Scott, Ive been fortunate for the past three decades: two cavities and one replaced filling. I see the dentist every 4-5 months and know how susceptible I am to bad dentistry. No root canals and one set of wisdom teeth in distant memory. Sorry for your pain but happy for your cure.

Remarkably, never had a cavity. I'm look like a gap-toothed idiot, but hey...worked for Letterman.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1291
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 2/19/2018 6:28:21 PM   
racerchris

Its unusual for me to drink a whole bottle on a Monday, but I thoroughly enjoyed this 2009 Ch. Lalande (St. Julien), and by the time dinner was ready there was only a glass and a half left.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1292
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 4/22/2018 7:42:38 PM   
cookiefiend

Welp.
Rescued this from page 4 - y'all are slackin' off!

Drank a 2012 Maison Sichel Margaux and it was quite nice with spaghetti and a homemade red sauce.
I think I love Mario Batalie - don't tell Mr Cookie.

Mr Cookie is stuck in FL with a flight delay, not supposed to take off now until 11:10, so he's watching the Pacers in some airport bar with his golfing buddies. I - on the other hand - had a lovely dinner in the company of my silly dog, watched 'The Greatest Showman' (loved it!) while finishing the wine.
Now I gotta take the trash out.
Ain't life grand?

I miss you guys, sorry I haven't been around as much lately.
xoxo

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 1293
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 4/23/2018 5:09:31 AM   
dontime

Miss you too Cookie. Sounds like a delightful evening with your canine. Other than taking the trash out...

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 1294
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/15/2018 7:01:08 PM   
wineismylife

So I'm on the road (there is a surprise) and I get to my room at the Crowne Plaza (aka the Taj Mahal in this area apparently) and I unpack and work for a while until dusk starts to settle. So I start flipping lights on in my room and notice half the lights in the room don't work and the other half are unplugged.

So I plug the ones back in that I found because I'm resourceful like that.

So I start to head down to the front desk to ask for maintenance and low and behold when I open my door next door are two maintenance workers getting ready to work on the adjacent room (hmmmm.....just happened to be here why???). So I grab one (not literally) and say hey! Do I need to turn in a ticket for you to fix these two lights? Oh no sir, I think I have some extra bulbs so we'll fix you up while you're out.

By the way, hear that?

What?

That waterfall coming from the A/C unit above your head?

Oh yeah.

Well, I just point it out because normally when I hear that sound in Texas where I'm from it means there is a problem with your filtration or outside A/C unit and your overflow valve is about to start dumping water all over the place before the unit eventually freezes over.

Oh no, that's normal. That's the water running through the pipes of our cooling units. You should hear it on the 14th floor!

Thank goodness you're on the 6th floor.

Posted here because indeed I did post while consuming although I must admit I wasn't in the bar alone. Apparently there were LOTS of burned out lights in this hotel.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 1295
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/16/2018 3:57:58 AM   
musedir

Sounds like a justified situation to me...

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 1296
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/16/2018 1:37:11 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Posted here because indeed I did post while consuming although I must admit I wasn't in the bar alone. Apparently there were LOTS of burned out lights in this hotel.

Right on, Joe. Sometimes, the spontaneous parties are the best ones.

Post #: 1297
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/16/2018 7:39:35 PM   
wineismylife

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1298
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/23/2018 6:06:41 PM   
wicozani

The culprit: 2016 Kendall-Jackson Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay
The Occasion: Wife departed this morning on her 7th out-of-the-region trip of this Spring. I prepared sauteed chicken tenders, steamed broccoli, and wild rice pilaf for dinner for my two teenagers and I.
Next? Bourbon after a full bottle of red, I've learned, is a real no-no. What about following a full bottle of white? We shall soon find out! Or maybe gin, or tequila, white rum? Your suggestions?

< Message edited by wicozani -- 5/23/2018 6:11:55 PM >

Post #: 1299
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/23/2018 6:39:26 PM   
racerchris

Grand Marnier?

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 1300
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/23/2018 6:52:06 PM   
wicozani

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

Grand Marnier?

Hmm? Never really had Grand Marnier on its own before. I think I'll look toward an Italian digestif, but thanks for the suggestion!

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 1301
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/23/2018 8:21:13 PM   
racerchris

quote:

ORIGINAL: wicozani

quote:

Grand Marnier?

Hmm? Never really had Grand Marnier on its own before. I think I'll look toward an Italian digestif, but thanks for the suggestion!

I occasionally splurge and use it in Margaritas, but drinking it neat is quite a treat.
I've enjoyed a flight of the Cordon Rouge, Centenaire (25yo), and Centcinquentenaire (50yo) to go with desert at a nice Italian restaurant.
As good as the regular cuvee is, the special commemorative cuvees are really great.

Chris Foley
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 1302
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/23/2018 8:28:51 PM   
wicozani

quote:

quote:

Grand Marnier?

Well, I returned my wine glass back to the kitchen counter, opened my cabinet back up and noticed one of my lonely Irish whiskey glasses. So, poured myself 2 oz. of Bushmill's and have called it a night. Seems ok for now. Glad to have seen the Capitals win game 7 to progress to the Stanley Cup final.

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 1303
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/23/2018 9:00:10 PM   
fingers

quote:

. Glad to have seen the Capitals win game 7 to progress to the Stanley Cup final.

Me as well. I think it willl be a great cup series.

Just to be compliant with the thread, this post was after pushing down an ever-so-slightly corked bottle of 2007 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Peeno Nwaur.

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 1304
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 5/23/2018 10:10:37 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

quote:

. Glad to have seen the Capitals win game 7 to progress to the Stanley Cup final.

Me as well. I think it willl be a great cup series.

Just to be compliant with the thread, this post was after pushing down an ever-so-slightly corked bottle of 2007 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Peeno Nwaur.

I do think this warrants an emphasis. Not just a whole bottle, but a (slightly) corked bottle. Well done!

I have done a 500 ml bottle on my own (well, minus one sip), and now a glass of 1989 Armagnac (which I think brings me to the equivalent of a full bottle?).

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1305
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/9/2018 8:03:23 AM   
BigJ

Well, tonight has seen three very drinkable local Chinese micro brews and a bottle of 2013 Rocca Delle Macie Chianti Riserva well enjoyed, now typing with a little Glenfiddich 15 year old.
Today I have watched my lovely All Blacks beat Les Bleus from France in an entertaining rugby match, a match that was much tougher than the score line indicated and then I pondered a while on the death of Tony Bourdain. Tony was seemingly a guy to call a spade a spade and appreciated that salami, cheese and cotes du rhone in the sun could be just as meaningful an experience as a 3 michelin star dinner in the finest of restaurants. the honesty and reality of what he said, often found a place with me. I am a Chef, and sometimes the most basic of things are what calls to mean i take the most joy from, so i enjoyed his books and shows. Where we each find meaning or satisfaction is so different - for those of use with healthy minds and bodies have a gift, and i just hope that we all can appreciate how lucky we are.
Cheers

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 1306
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/9/2018 3:33:24 PM   
Franklin 10

Nice sentiments. Must be good to be an All Black fan these days... Cheers indeed, BigJ.

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to BigJ)
Post #: 1307
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/15/2018 3:14:19 PM   
OneForTheStairs

It's always good to be an All Black fan... and i write as an Englishman who has just downed a bottle of cheap claret, a couple of small Aberlour A'Bunadhs, and is staring down the barrel of the FIFA World Cup...

One for the Road? No... One for the Stairs

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 1308
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 6/15/2018 3:51:03 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: OneForTheStairs

It's always good to be an All Black fan... and i write as an Englishman who has just downed a bottle of cheap claret, a couple of small Aberlour A'Bunadhs, and is staring down the barrel of the FIFA World Cup...

An alternative for your sign off. One for the ditch. (Irish version)

(in reply to OneForTheStairs)
Post #: 1309
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/22/2018 9:02:11 PM   
RockinCabs

Just went in on a nice tasting of 2009 Bordeaux with two others and it worked out to 1.5 bottles consumed each.

I was taught long ago that wine is meant to be opened and consumed at all different ages. It allows the drinker to experience different phases of the wine and see if it truly moves them (multiple times). These are the best wines that keep us engaged for a long time.

I suppose 2009 Bordeaux gave me pause for the first time this evening.

Wines that live up to expectation, but deliver longevity concerns worry me. Are too many wines now made for earlier consumption? Should I be drinking the cellar down faster?

This event included some widely held wines with high CT scores. Haut Bailly, Leoville Barton and Rausan Segla were all great, bus somehow each left us guessing, and misfired in one way or anther.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 1310
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/30/2018 7:10:23 PM   
Hollowine

I am Ironman!

Cue the Black Sabbath earbug

Airport + time + drinks

(in reply to RockinCabs)
Post #: 1311
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 9/30/2018 7:18:59 PM   
fingers

Good on ya’, Scott.

You know it’s only 7:20pm, right? ;)

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1312
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/1/2018 2:53:29 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

I am Ironman!

Watched 'Black Sabbath the End of the End' a couple days ago - the last show of the final tour. Yes, Ozzy is somewhat debilitated, and granted that Black Sabbath is not for everybody, but what a great thing - and so influential. Where did the time go?

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1313
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 10/1/2018 4:04:17 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

I am Ironman!

Airport + time + drinks

That would make a great bumper sticker, right next to the 0.0 sticker.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 1314
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 12/18/2018 8:36:09 PM   
wicozani

2012 D'Isanto & D'Isanto I Balzini White Label Colli della Toscana IGT

Found this thread on page 7! Seems like we're slowing down somewhat.

(in reply to slaughterer)
Post #: 1315
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 3/5/2019 9:24:47 PM   
Old Doug

"Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"

70 years ago, James Cagney as Cody Jarrett in the movie White Heat. Back then, it had been a while since a career criminal had captured the fancy of cinematic audiences. World War II had come and gone. The years pass...

There was a time - damn near as far back as that movie - when I was an innocent. Okay, I'm not even quite 60 yet - 8 whole days to go - but in the grand scheme of things not all that far off, as far as orders of magnitude. My great criminal career - my real "wine" time, began either in 1980 when I first had a really cheap red Bordeaux, and totally liked it - or (more likely) when I discovered CellarTracker and the Forum in 2011. I'd had some "good wine" before, including one great one (1961 Latour), but little did I know...

Wasn't long before I'd met Dontime and J2K, and lucked upon a one-off leftover Riedel wineglass for $5 in a sorry winestore in Wheeling, West Virginia, U.S.A. Wine-Searcher opened my eyes to the widely variable pricing that was and is operating in the U.S., and I never bought another bottle of wine around those parts again. That glass though - the stem was four little round glass columns fused together, made it feel like a "square' with rounded corners, oh-so-comfortable. The bowl was very thin crystal, a joy to drink out of. Holding the glass, like a finely-crafted knife or gun, you felt the balance, you felt that much was right with the world.

Last night I finally did it - I broke that glass. Ironic that I wasn't even drunk - after all the enormous fills it'd had (the damn thing would hold most of a standard bottle of wine) - all the Guinnesses, all the brutal gin and vodka concoctions I'd filled it with.... One small glass of white wine around 7 p.m. and then a modest fill of red wine about 10 p.m. Like an idiot, I kept it right on my computer desk, and before 11 p.m. I turned to the right with some speed, and backhanded the glass off the desk and onto the floor. I had dreaded that moment like I dread the death of my parents, and I've thought about the occurrence many times in the past, likely to somehow hopefully dilute the horror of its true appearance.

There is no real "getting over it," however - for decades I've been confronted with the fact that it's only a relatively few possessions that make us happy (if that), not to mention that "too much stuff" is often a recipe for misery. I've got an old brass ship's lantern - a great whorin' thing, in fact - made in Dunbarton, Scotland, in 1816 - and that's my second-favored possession, and even there I've never been moved to fill it with oil and light it up. 21 years it's been like that. That wineglass, though - ha, you talk about something getting used...

Most things change, and there are any number of parallels one can draw here. Today was a really good day for my wife and I, and we had a great dinner with good people, food and drinks par excellence.

I'm home now, without that glass, and things will never be the same.

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 1316
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 3/6/2019 3:46:15 AM   
musedir

Now that’s abut the saddest thing I’ve ever heard..

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1317
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 3/6/2019 5:21:34 AM   
KPB

Well, it might not be the same physical object, but I bet you can find the identical glass on eBay. You can find anything on eBay. Normally I would be saying that hey, it’s just a thing. But in your case: try searching for it! If you still have the shards, the Reidel model number might be engraved on the base.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1318
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 3/6/2019 7:09:13 AM   
fingers

Us humans sure love our comfort zones, or objects, as the case may be

I think Ken has a great idea... enjoy the hunt for a new cherished vessel and keep your mourning brief.

Cheers Doug!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 1319
RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone - 3/6/2019 7:31:09 AM   
KPB

There is an old Jewish joke, very relevant here. (By the way, I'm Jewish, which means I'm allowed to tell Jewish jokes).

A Jewish guy, call him Adam, is looking very sad, walking down the street. He kvetches as he walks.

"Oh God, has anyone ever had worse fate then me? Even Job didn't suffer as I do! My job is terribly dull. My wife complains all the time. My kids -- they just play video games! My favorite wine glass shattered! God, would it be asking so much if I could just have a little luck, just once?"

Well, this gets tiresome even for the all-knowing, who finally has had it. The heavens roar, the clouds split, and a great voice booms from the sky. "Adam, give me a break! Let me just ask one small thing of you. Would it kill you to actually buy a lottery ticket?"

Adam is startled but responds almost automatically. "Buy a lottery ticket? Never! That would be gambling. And anyhow, the guy behind me in the line would win, not me..."

< Message edited by KPB -- 3/6/2019 7:44:51 AM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1320
Page:   <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Postings after 1 whole bottle consumed alone Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI