CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

v 1.2.0 release notes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Release Notes >> v 1.2.0 release notes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v 1.2.0 release notes - 10/12/2003 2:33:54 PM   
Eric

Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2003 2:54 AM
Subject: CellarTracker! v1.2.0

OK, while this release doesn’t show much new on the surface, it actually entailed a fairly significant rewrite of the core stored procedures that the site uses.
  • The good news is that this was all done in the name of performance and security. The main page on the site should be noticeably snappier now, and it should also scale like crazy even as new users come online.
  • The main feature you will see is that the Inventory view is now front-and-center. There are links in the upper right which let you toggle from the wine summary to the inventory and back. Likewise the quick search and advanced query pages now support searching the inventory. This will be most useful to Patrick, as he has very granular data (bin location and desired drink dates) in the inventory table. All of that is searchable now and far more easy to view in bulk.
  • Beyond that, I fixed an assortment of small bugs and rough edges.

Inventory view
Clean up the Inventory view so that it supports the exact same query strings as the core wine view. Inventory view now handles N.V. wines and has a total row at the bottom. Add a link to toggle back and forth from the Wine view to the Inventory view.

Inventory searching
A new checkbox under the quick search edit control lets you target a search at the Inventory table instead of the wine table. Bin locations, major cellar locations, and bottle sizes are all easily searchable. Also add inventory view as an output option on the advanced query page. Allow searching by Bin location from this page as well.

Security work
Guard against SQL injection attack by having more rigid underlying query support. Move all CSS files to the local ASP directories and lock down browsing on the virtual include directory.

Performance improvements
Store and use aggregated Quantity table as well as a standard view for verbose wine descriptions.

BUG: Searching fix
Trim trailing spaces from search clauses so that "Lynch Bages" actually matches "Lynch-Bages".

BUG: Labels w/out associated purchase info
Check for null in the case of printing a label w/out an associated purchase record.

BUG: Codepage issues
All pages needed to specify charset=windows-1252 to avoid issues on systems with other codepages. (Thanks Patrick for showing me how this busted on Naoko's system.)

BUG: Clearing purchase data from inventory
I didn't properly support clearing an associated purchase from an inventory record.

Next up:
  • I have some cool pivots that I want to put onto a new page showing each of us our purchase summaries by vendor and region over time. Patrick has seen the queries, and they are pretty cool.
  • Now that I have the core Inventory view working well, I can start having fun and exposing the label printing UI as well as other nice tasks such as accepting a delivery into inventory from the pending purchases pages.

I have been testing these changes a great deal over the past week, but they are extensive enough that there is a reasonable chance I broke something. Let me know if you see any errors and I will hunt ‘em down.

Thanks!
Eric LeVine
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> Release Notes >> v 1.2.0 release notes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll