CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA chapter)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA chapter) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA cha... - 10/9/2011 6:06:49 AM   
grafstrb

This will be the thread in which your Head Elf (me) will communicate with all participating CT Secret Santas (USA).  That means THIS is the thread y'all need to be watching for any announcements and/or requests that I may have of the 2011 CT Secret Santa (USA) participants.

Additionally, this first post of this thread will contain the list of those who desire to participate in this year's installment of the CT Secret Santa. 

Please do not post questions, comments, or anything in this thread --- such posts should be posted in the 2011 Secret Santa ... Ho Oh No... Thread: http://www.cellartracker.com/forum/tm.asp?m=166176
I want this thread to be "just the facts, Jack", so to speak ... a place where CT Secret Santas can go to quickly and (hopefully) easily see what they need to do.

List of those participating in the 2011 CT Secret Santa Event (USA Chapter):
("Y" after your name means you've provided me with the below-requested info (see Post #2 of this thread).  That means if you don't see a "Y" after your name, get on your horse and give me your info!  Thank you.)
Hollowine
ChrisinSunnyside
Beachrooster
musedir
wadcorp
cookiefiend
markandsusanw
cjsavino
mgriffith
caeleric
dsGris
MindMuse
vinopkm
mclancy10006
Jack667
Eric
drycab
fingers
ckinv368
TexasWineGeek
recotte
pbm
LST
kelpcowboy
grayfont
smigdiggler
oskiwawa
dontime
YoDaddyO
ssimpsonjr
cgrimes
PSUSteve
smahk
arcprise
redguy
tourette
ethos
champagneinhand
NathanT
osufan
wallstreet
annerk
GoodToGrape
jar1
rlcrobert
Wine_Strategies
Melovino
tantotinto
TomATL
Rossodio
TashNYC
ikkaariainen
CT SS UK Participants

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 12/10/2011 7:25:57 AM >

Terroir is not a flavor.
Post #: 1
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 10/9/2011 6:10:55 AM   
grafstrb

Arrighty folks, I will be your Head Elf this year!! 

So, what does this mean to you?

1.  I will need you to send me (via PM) the following information:
1. your preferred SHIP TO address;
-------- please indicate whether this address is a residence or business address
2.  if you have a particular window of availability (i.e.: if you're going to be out of town on vacation, or something, and therefore need to receive your package by or after a particular date)
3. Your real name
4.  Ship To phone number (some carriers require this)
5. Any "other information", such as types of wines you absolutely do not want to receive.
6. if the name associated with your CT cellar is different than your name for the discussion board, please indicate as such and give me the name associated with your CT cellar.

----- once matches have been made I will send each CT Santa the shipping information as well as any "other information" for their assigned recipient.
----- once you've chosen the bottle(s) you will be sending to your recipient, I will request that you PM me the bottle(s) you are sending, as well as shipping info (date sent, carrier and tracking info).
----- once you've received your package from your CT Secret Santa, I will want you to PM me to let me know you've received your package, and the date on which your package was received.
------ Matches will be done completely at random; but, if necessary, I will re-draw names to avoid any matches from 2009 and 2010.  In the interests of ease and interest, I will not be making "regional matches."  Yes, I'm aware this may result in increased shipping expense for some participants, depending on match, but the increase should be negligible.

DEADLINE FOR SIGNING-UP TO PARTICIPATE THIS YEAR IS NOVEMBER 5.

BUDGET: $50

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 10/10/2011 2:15:35 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 2
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 10/10/2011 5:30:44 AM   
Khamen

Head Elf? Isn't that one of Serge's websites?

K

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 3
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 10/10/2011 8:35:48 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

ORIGINAL: Khamen

Head Elf? Isn't that one of Serge's websites?

K

Serge's would likely be Elf Head

(in reply to Khamen)
Post #: 4
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 10/10/2011 2:17:55 PM   
grafstrb

For those of you who've already sent me the requested information: if the name associated with your CT cellar is different than your name for the discussion board, please PM me the name associated with your CT cellar.

Thank you to those of you who've already sent me this information -- I believe I've acknowledged receipt of all such PMs that I've received.

Merry cheers,
grafstrb
Head Elf, CT SS 2011, USA Chapter

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 5
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/1/2011 1:24:35 PM   
grafstrb

To those who are participating:

Please check to make sure your name is included on the master list in the first post of this thread.  This list is what I will use to put names in the hats. 

If you are not on the list, and would like to participate, please send me a PM indicating as such, and I will then add your name to the list. 

Additionally, if your name is on that list but you no longer can, or want to, participate please send me a PM indicating as such so that I may remove your name from the master list.

Thank you.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 6
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/1/2011 2:10:03 PM   
smahk

Thanks for organinzing....can't wait to start!

Cin Cin!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 7
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/1/2011 3:45:12 PM   
musedir

Brian, when is the scheduled distribution of SS names this year? I seem to have overlooked that important date somehow... Must be the fall allocations!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 8
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/1/2011 4:53:07 PM   
Rossodio

Ugh... can't delete this reply which was previously accidentally posted!

< Message edited by Rossodio -- 11/1/2011 4:55:03 PM >

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 9
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/1/2011 5:32:08 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Brian, when is the scheduled distribution of SS names this year? I seem to have overlooked that important date somehow... Must be the fall allocations!

TO ALL USA CT SECRET SANTA PARTICIPANTS:

The deadline for submitting the requested information to me is Nov. 5th.  If you have NOT given me this information by Nov. 5th, you will not be allowed to participate in this year's Secret Santa.  NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.

I will endeavor to distribute SS names on Nov. 6th.  That said, seeing as how our list has grown to an impressive 50 participants, it may take me an additional day or two to pass along the information.  I will do everything I can to get the information distributed on Nov. 6th.

Another reminder: if you have any questions for me, please post them in the 2011 CT Secret Santa Ho Oh No thread, and not in this one.  Or, if you prefer, you can send me a PM.  I would like to keep this thread as "clean" as possible.

Thank you for your cooperation and participation, y'all!  I'm stoked to get these pairings drawn and distributed!!

Sincerely,
Your Head Elf

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 10
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/1/2011 5:53:20 PM   
Guy Fawkes

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

The deadline for submitting the requested information to me is Nov. 5th.  If you have NOT given me this information by Nov. 5th, you will not be allowed to participate in this year's Secret Santa.  NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.

What is such a big deal about November 5th?

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 11
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/1/2011 5:58:10 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Guy Fawkes

quote:

What is such a big deal about November 5th?

Funny.  Very funny, Guido.  Keep talkin', buddy, and you might just find out what I'll do with this Roman candle!

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Guy Fawkes)
Post #: 12
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/6/2011 8:10:26 PM   
grafstrb

OK folks,

I just got done sending everybody the information for their Secret Santa recipient.

IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE SUCH A PM FROM ME, PLEASE LET ME KNOW VIA PM.

Thank you.

... and now let the fun begin!!!

... time for this Elf to go to bed ...

ok, after I finish this beer.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 13
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/7/2011 6:40:22 AM   
grafstrb

FOLKS,

Once you have made your wine selection and shipped it out, please send me a PM indicating the following:
1. The identity of the wine you shipped
2. The method by which you shipped (and any attendant tracking/shipping number or code).

Thank you!

-
Your Head Elf, 2011

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 14
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/7/2011 2:42:28 PM   
grafstrb

Santas,

I am now willing and able to receive requests for the login information for the CT Santa cellar.  You may be wondering, "Oh Elfie, why oh why would I want such information?"  And I would say, "Oh marvelous rotund figure of unbridled benevolence, this is why: if you login to CT as "CT Santa," you will be able to view your recipient's Private cellar as long as your recipient has made "CT Santa" a cellar "budy" of theirs.

So, if your recipient has a "Private" cellar (i.e.: you can't view the contents thereof), please send me a PM stating as such, and I will do two things:
1.  Send your recipient a PM telling them to make CT Santa a "cellar buddy" to their cellar; and
2.  Give you the login information for the CT Santa cellar, thereby allowing you to peruse your recipient's otherwise "Private" cellar while you are logged-in to CT as "CT Santa".

Then all will be Merry and Wonderful in Secret Santa land      

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 15
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/7/2011 4:37:15 PM   
grafstrb

Santas,

Please try to have your recipient's wine mailed-out by Monday, November 14th.  Ideally, everyone will have received their wine by Thanksgiving (which occurs early this year, on Thursday, November 24th).  I know one week isn't a whole lot of time to do your sleuthing and shopping, but it should be enough.  Depending on the distance between you and your recipient, as well as your chosen mode of transport, you may be able to get away with sending your wine at a date later than Nov. 14th and still have your package reach your recipient by Nov. 24th.  Please note, many carriers will not be offering service on the 24th (and maybe not on the 25th, either).  Be smart about this: try not to ship the package at a time when it's likely to spend a weekend (or worse, an extended weekend) in a warehouse.  In other words, next Monday (Nov. 14th), would probably be the IDEAL DATE TO SHIP, GIVEN THAT THE WEATHER BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR RECIPIENT IS SUITABLE FOR THE SHIPMENT OF WINE.  Please be mindful of the weather.

ALSO, please be mindful of any "unavailability dates" specified by your recipient; do what you must to ensure that your package will not arrive at your recipient's given address during any such "unavailability dates."

I know this may sound and look like a lot of things to juggle, but, really, it's not. 

Again, please inform me, via PM, of the identity of the wine you are shipping as well as your chosen mode of shipment (and tracking/routing number) once you have sent your package off.

Additionally, once you receive your package, please inform me of such (but DO NOT OPEN IT!!!).

Thank you for your participation and cooperation, folks!

Brian
CT SS Head Elf, 2011 (USA Chapter)

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 16
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/9/2011 3:27:35 PM   
grafstrb

CT Secret Santas,

Let's plan on having our CT SS reveal day on Saturday, Dec. 10th.  According to the "unavailability dates" submitted to me by everyone, this is a date on which everyone should be home, and everyone will have their package by then.

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 11/9/2011 3:41:53 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 17
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/9/2011 5:35:13 PM   
grafstrb

Folks,

I am going to be away from my computer from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning.  Therefore, I will not be able to send, or respond to, PM's.  Therefore, I request of you: please check RIGHT NOW to see if your recipient's cellar is "private" (in other words, are you able to view the contents of your recipient's cellar?).  If you cannot, send me a PM right now letting me know, so that I can PM your recipient and ask them to make CT Santa a "cellar buddy" of theirs, and so that I can give you the login information for CT Santa.

I know many of you are busy with work, family, and life in general, and are therefore waiting until this weekend to do your "shopping"; well, if you wait to check on the viewability of your recipient's cellar until this weekend then you are potentially making my job as Head Elf, as well as your shopping experience, much more difficult than it needs to be.  Please, check the viewability of your recipient's cellar NOW. 

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Your Head Elf

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 18
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/17/2011 2:31:43 PM   
grafstrb

I still have one Santa who has not communicated with me at all since I sent-out the assignments ... you know who you are.  If I don't get some communication from you shortly, I will encourage next year's Head Elf to disallow you from participating in the 2012 CT Secret Santa.  I know life can sometimes be very busy, but it literally takes 2 minutes to send me a short little PM letting me know what's going on.  I've seen you in the forums, and I know you've read my PM's to you, so I know you have 2 minutes to spare.  I apologize if this comes across as me being rough ... really, I'm just begging.

I still have four Santas who have not told me what wine they will be shipping to their recipient.

I still have numerous Santas who have not yet shipped their gift.
-------------- to those Santas who fall into one of the above categories: time to get on your horse and get this done.  Some of you have communicated with me regarding your situations, and I appreciate that.   On the other hand, some of you have not communicated with me.

Finally, I have numerous Santas who've done all that has been asked of them, and have done so in a timely manner.  Thank you!!

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 11/17/2011 2:32:57 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 19
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/17/2011 2:56:53 PM   
ikkaariainen

Oh Head Elf, we greatly appreciate all that you do on behalf of this project, however after reading the above thread should I personally EVER begin inquiring into the "advanced" elfly qualifications to advance to Head Elf please communicate with my wife that it may be time to pull the driver's license and look at a nice dementia unit in a reasonably good long term care facility...

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 20
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/17/2011 4:07:08 PM   
musedir

I'm hep!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 21
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/18/2011 7:11:07 AM   
wallstreet

quote:

I still have one Santa who has not communicated with me at all since I sent-out the assignments ... you know who you are.  If I don't get some communication from you shortly, I will encourage next year's Head Elf to disallow you from participating in the 2012 CT Secret Santa.  I know life can sometimes be very busy, but it literally takes 2 minutes to send me a short little PM letting me know what's going on.  I've seen you in the forums, and I know you've read my PM's to you, so I know you have 2 minutes to spare.  I apologize if this comes across as me being rough ... really, I'm just begging.

I still have four Santas who have not told me what wine they will be shipping to their recipient.

I still have numerous Santas who have not yet shipped their gift.
-------------- to those Santas who fall into one of the above categories: time to get on your horse and get this done.  Some of you have communicated with me regarding your situations, and I appreciate that.   On the other hand, some of you have not communicated with me.

Finally, I have numerous Santas who've done all that has been asked of them, and have done so in a timely manner.  Thank you!!

I think its terrible that someone spends the time to sign up for this and agree to the attributes of the SS program and they do not communicate with you at all?   I believe that it is a form of disrespect to the head elf. I am sure that person will step up, but to have the head Elf chase you down multiple times is a lack of respect for his time. I am sure he has more productive things to do with his day , then to send out repeated emails to those not following the guidelines which I believe we all signed up for when agreeing to be part of the SS program.  

"One Man Gathers, What Another Man Spills"...Robert Hunter 1968

----
Wine, Watches And Women....not necessarily in that order

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 22
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/21/2011 3:17:09 PM   
grafstrb

I'm happy to report that, as of a few days ago, I have received communication from all participating Santas! 

I'm also happy to report that most Santas have shipped their gifts out, and that a majority of recipients have received their gifts.  Yay!

There are, still, some Santas who have not shipped their wines, or, at the very least, have not clearly and unequivocally communicated to me that they have shipped.  Many of these Santas have communicated plans to ship, and that's a good start.  When those plans come to fruition, please send me a PM confirming that those plans have been carried-out; I cannot assume that what is said will be done has been done --- if you were in my position, you'd understand, as many "plans" that have been communicated to me have fallen-through.

Finally, I would like to send a big THANK YOU to all of you who have been good Santas and who have also been good to me throughout this process.  This includes following directions in a timely manner and keeping me in the loop with respect to your Secret Santa duties.  This also includes being responsive to my PM's as well as being patient with the PM's wherein I have nagged some of you to take care of your Secret Santa duties.  To the extent that some of you may have developed a slight, or even healthy, dislike of me during this process, I ask of you this: please remember that I have never done this before, and am "learning as I go, so to speak."  I am trying to be (and think I have been) very nice throughout the entire process --- even in the face of the fact that many participants have not dealt with their duties in a timely manner.  I am merely a volunteer here, and am merely trying to make this an enjoyable experience for all.  Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Brian
Your 2011 CT Secret Santa Head Elf (USA Chapter)

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 23
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/21/2011 5:47:27 PM   
Hollowine

You've made all prior Santa's and participants proud Sir Brian. Way to go, thanks for stepping up!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 24
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/21/2011 6:14:47 PM   
ikkaariainen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

You've made all prior Santa's and participants proud Sir Brian. Way to go, thanks for stepping up!

Scott, I think Brian will serve you well as an invaluable un-official advisor and shoulder to cry on next year since he'll just have gone through this year what you'll be going through about this time next year...

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 25
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/22/2011 7:20:41 AM   
wadcorp

I'm sorry. I thought you said "Sucrets Santa".

My mistake…

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 26
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/22/2011 7:36:00 AM   
GoodToGrape

I am acting as Secret Santa for a brother/sister (non-wine) gift exchange. There are 4 of us. The whole thing was set up to be simple, all they had to do was click on a link I sent them and enter their email address. First question came from my 58 year old sister "I don't see a link?" Answer, "It's that thing in the email I sent you - it has blue underlined font and it starts with www." Second question came from my brother. "Can you call (____) and tell her to open her email?" Answer was "You live 3 blocks from her, I live 200 miles away, this is unrelated to Secret Santa - and you want me to call her?" Third question was - well, you get the point.

Now, image you are trying to do this for 50 strangers who each go by 2 different names. And imagine that these folks are scattered across a country that you don't even live in. And imagine that you you have absolutely no leverage over these folks to follow the rules or even respond to your emails...and your only tool is public shame, which decorum mandates that you use sparingly. That's what this is like. But it's truly unique and wonderful. I'm 3 of these in, have acted as recipient, Santa and Elf...and I can't imagine a holiday season without CTSS!

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 27
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/22/2011 12:59:26 PM   
MindMuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodToGrape

I am acting as Secret Santa for a brother/sister (non-wine) gift exchange. There are 4 of us. The whole thing was set up to be simple, all they had to do was click on a link I sent them and enter their email address. First question came from my 58 year old sister "I don't see a link?" Answer, "It's that thing in the email I sent you - it has blue underlined font and it starts with www." Second question came from my brother. "Can you call (____) and tell her to open her email?" Answer was "You live 3 blocks from her, I live 200 miles away, this is unrelated to Secret Santa - and you want me to call her?" Third question was - well, you get the point.

Now, image you are trying to do this for 50 strangers who each go by 2 different names. And imagine that these folks are scattered across a country that you don't even live in. And imagine that you you have absolutely no leverage over these folks to follow the rules or even respond to your emails...and your only tool is public shame, which decorum mandates that you use sparingly. That's what this is like. But it's truly unique and wonderful. I'm 3 of these in, have acted as recipient, Santa and Elf...and I can't imagine a holiday season without CTSS!

Yeah, but did Brian make sure I got a good gift?

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 28
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/22/2011 1:47:38 PM   
grafstrb

Methinks you will enjoy your gift very much, Dennis.   If I were you, I'd be itching to open it right now. ...

very very itchy ...

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 29
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA... - 11/23/2011 4:48:19 AM   
ssimpsonjr

I think that classifies as "taunting" and deserving of a 15-yrd unsportsmanlike penalty. Just trying to get in the mood for some Thanksgiving NFL games that actually matter this year. Plus my town's big rival high school football game is tomorrow. This year it means nothing but bragging rights.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2011 CT Secret Santa: Head Elf's Master Thread (USA chapter) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI