CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/15/2011 5:47:44 PM   
grafstrb

I received the suggestion to start this thread from one of our esteemed cohorts, and am now running with it.  This thread is a place for you to post your tasting note for the wine you received from this year's CT Secret Santa exchange.

The existence of this thread should not pressure you into opening the bottle(s) you received any earlier than you already intended.  If you plan on drinking it soon, great; if you plan on drinking it in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, or beyond, that's great too!  Just post your TN in this thread whenver you drink the bottle.  If you've already consumed it, please cross-post your TN here.

I think it will be fun to see this thread sporadically pop back up to the top of the list many months (and years!) from now.

Terroir is not a flavor.
Post #: 1
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/15/2011 8:40:39 PM   
YoDaddyO

I'm committed...I can't sit on it so i'll be drinking over the next week and post

DaddyO

Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 2
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/15/2011 8:51:11 PM   
caeleric

2004 Scholium Project Petite Sirah Babylon Tenbrink Vineyard

Sunday, December 11, 2011 - pop n pour consumed over 2 days. this was graciously given to me as my ct forum secret santa gift from fingers. my first 100% petite sirah with any age on it, and it was absolutely smoking right out of the bottle. if the wife hadn't given me the disapproving evil eye as i sucked down glass after glass, i would have finished the whole thing on night one. massively fruited with the blackest of black fruits, some purple/blue fruits, and really nice vanillin oak nuance. this is a behemoth of a wine that continued to open beautifully in the glass. plush texture, with a good bit of tannic grip on it even with 7 years of age. a ridiculously long finish that swirled and unfurled ripe, unmistakeably napa fruit that was so juicy. day 2 was a little less exciting, with softer, plummier notes, and pretty one-dimensional. still very good, but not as amazing as day 1. this was a perfect gift, and makes me want to add more petite sirah to my cellar. THANK YOU FINGERS!!! if scoring, 93-95. drink over the next 3 years.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to YoDaddyO)
Post #: 3
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/15/2011 9:26:40 PM   
fingers

far out, Chris

The most rewarding part of this whole exchange thing is to get a response like that from the gift recipient so I'm really happy it went over well. Thanks for writing the note and being so kind as to specify your gratitiude. Cheers

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 4
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/16/2011 4:45:11 AM   
dontime

Great idea!  It will be fun to see this thread pop up from time to time. 

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 5
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/16/2011 5:32:52 AM   
pbm

If I can hold out I'm going to bring my Cornas to a New Year's Eve dinner with another couple. I haven't anticipated a bottle this much in a long time.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 6
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/16/2011 6:07:51 AM   
GoodToGrape

quote:

The existence of this thread should not pressure you into opening the bottle(s) you received any earlier than you already intended.

This thread won't have any impact on when I open the great bottle of 2005 Saint-Laurent La Bohème I received from my SS Champagneinhand - that bottle's fate was sealed the minute I unwrapped it last Saturday. Although this one could easily lay down for a few years, it's well within it's prime drinking window now, plus there is still some available from the winery - and with a small lot like this, I suspect that a year from now I would be out of luck if I decide to grab a few more bottles. Thus, the timer is ticking - and I suspect that either tonight or tomorrow night I will be lifting a glass to Giacomo Puccini, the Mrachek family and to David Draper (aka Champagneinhand). Can't wait! Tasting impressions to be posted here soon.

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 7
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/16/2011 1:35:55 PM   
mgriffith

Santa's generous gift of a 2001 Château La Vieille Cure is slated for my Christmas Eve repast. While the menu is still in progress, I am thinking about the following:

Charcuterie: Salami, Prosciutto, Speck - whatever is looking good
Light salad with White Balsamic/EVOO Vinaigrette
Roasted rack of lamb with Haricot Verts, sauteed mushrooms and roasted root vegetables
Selection of cheeses for dessert

Naturally, I will need a fresh, crusty baguette to accompany the early courses.

Of course, everything is subject to change at the last minute which is when I do the shopping for the meal.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 8
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/16/2011 2:02:32 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgriffith

Santa's generous gift of a 2001 Château La Vieille Cure is slated for my Christmas Eve repast. While the menu is still in progress, I am thinking about the following:

Charcuterie: Salami, Prosciutto, Speck - whatever is looking good
Light salad with White Balsamic/EVOO Vinaigrette
Roasted rack of lamb with Haricot Verts, sauteed mushrooms and roasted root vegetables
Selection of cheeses for dessert

Naturally, I will need a fresh, crusty baguette to accompany the early courses.

Of course, everything is subject to change at the last minute which is when I do the shopping for the meal.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thoughts?  Sounds good!  Suggestions?  Do it!!

ok ok, one suggestion of substance: whenever Ashley and I do lamb we like to make sure a boiled tomato makes it on the plate.  If prepared in the manner herein described, I can promise that you will be happy you did this:

1.  Use Roma tomatos (its high flesh-to-water ratio, as well as its natural sweetness, make this a good choice)
2.  Lightly score an "x" into the bottom each tomato
3.  Get a pot of water boiling on the stove
4.  Using a slotted spoon, or something similar, gently place each tomato in the boiling water
5.  Let the tomatoes remain in the boiling water for a couple minutes
6.  remove the tomatoes from the boiling water; when the tomato is no longer too hot to handle, peel the skin off the tomatoes and discard said skin (this step is why you lightly score the "x" in the bottom of the tomatoe in step #2 --- doing that makes the skin *very easy* to peel off)
7.  Lightly sprinkle the tomato with some sea salt (or salt of your choosing) and some freshly chopped rosemary; add a twist of freshly cracked black pepper, if you so desire.
8.  Pair with CdP (or, in your case, 2001 La Vielle Cure )
9.  Enjoy

For whatever reason, I think this incredibly simple preparation is a delicious addition to any plate graced by lamb. 

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 12/16/2011 2:03:35 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 9
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/16/2011 2:12:31 PM   
mgriffith

Hmm. I had not thought about the acidity of a tomato with the menu. Sounds interesting, though I am afraid all I could get this time of year would be greenhouse grown and not really vine ripe. If I can get some good ones, I may just have to add it to the repast!

Of course, a stuffed, broiled tomato might be a nice accompaniment as well (provided good ones can be found).

Thanks for the suggestion!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 10
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/17/2011 6:33:31 AM   
grayfont

cjsavino - thanks again for the generous gift of the 1995 Castello Banfi Brunello!  I am remiss in my delay in posting this tasting note, as I actually enjoyed the wine on the reveal date.  TN follows.  Thanks again!!!!!

grayfont

12/10/2011:
My 2011 CT Secret Santa gift. Thank you, cjsavino!!!! I chose a very special occasion to open this wine - a dinner in honor of my daughter's second birthday - so I could share the wine with my parents and in-laws as well. Per Santa's recommendation, I decanted the wine for two hours - more than a little of which was spent staring at the wine in anticipation. The wine has a beautiful maroon color - as if it's just getting started on its journey from deep purple in the direction of adobe/reddish brown. The nose was classy and understated, with some mushroom and a faint hint of tobacco. On the palate, this wine was graceful and elegant - any power it may have had in its youth has given way to a lovely soft mouthfeel and continued mushroom/earth/tobacco notes. A fabulous wine experience - thanks again, cjsavino!!!

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 11
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/17/2011 12:34:32 PM   
smahk

2006 Tommaso Bussola Amarone della Valpolicella Classico

Color: Deep Garnet
Nose: Raisins, black cherry, vanilla and earth
Taste: Raisins, stewed prunes and blackberry with a dash of chocolate, truffle and liquorice.
Finish: Sweet tannins and a little hot
Really enjoyed this amarone my CT SS 2011 gifted. It is a slightly different style of amarone than I have had - 17% alcohol (whew!) and a huge upfront taste of raisins. The finish was sweet, and a little hot reminding me more of sherry or port. While it was fine for dinner, I save the rest of the bottle for later. It was far better as an after dinner drink with some hard cheese. Thanks again Aleks aka "ethos"

I will open the Gray Ghost over the holidays - thanks again!

Cin Cin!

(in reply to grayfont)
Post #: 12
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/17/2011 7:57:45 PM   
Eric

2007 Cayuse Grenache God Only Knows

DAY 1: This opened up very peppery, raspy and reductive. I guess that is the so-called Cayuse funk. Mmm, there is a rather interesting perfume to this as well, and there is such a nice bit of bramble and celery root. Where this opened with a very cherry-berry bit of fruit, that is subsiding a bit as this aerates and showing much more mineral and savory. For now, even after following this for four hours it is pretty closed up, so I am going to shut it down for day 1 and revisit the remainder of the bottle tomorrow.

DAY 2:
This never really opened up. Savory and meaty. Now showing more of the grilled plum and Sur Maturite aromatics that I tend to find on domestic Grenache. This is certainly as close to Chateauneuf-du-Pape as I have seen in the New World, but given a choice I would tend to stick with CDP. Nonetheless, I can certainly see why people get excited by Cayuse.

89 points. Sorry, I am a stingy bastard. I really did enjoy this a LOT!

< Message edited by Eric -- 12/17/2011 7:58:14 PM >

Cheers!
-Eric LeVine

http://twitter.com/cellartracker
http://facebook.com/cellartracker

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 13
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/18/2011 10:18:22 AM   
GoodToGrape

2005 St Laurent La Boheme - I enjoyed my SS gift (Thanks Champagneinhand!) last night with a pan seared filet with a simple sea salt, garlic and paprika rub. Dense color. Initial nose of black currant gave way to cedar and tobacco. Great mouthfeel. The cabernet is dominant, with stout tannins that are just starting to soften a bit. The impression I got was that this was right at the front-door of it's drinking window. As for drinking pleasure, I enjoyed this immensely. Primary notes of plum, blackberry. Secondary notes of cocoa, coffee, white pepper and a faint trace of bacon. Obviously well crafted by a winemaker who both knows what he's doing and takes pride in his product. if I were tasting blind I'm pretty sure I would have correctly identified it as a well made Washington State Cuvée, but at the same time it was reminiscent of a LB BDX. I am going to order more and try to let them sit for a few years.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 14
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/18/2011 1:12:12 PM   
champagneinhand

Awesome, I had a feeling that this would just be shy of its drinking window. That has never stopped many of us from pooping the cork. I really am going to try and get a hold 2-3 bottles of this from the vineyard. I bet this will rock in 3-4 more years. I do not know how to get anything from this vintner other than through the winery itself. They are completely under the radar and that is a great place to be right now. The winemaker really builds these wines for the long term. My '07 Syrah was wound so tight that it really took almost 48 hours to show what was packed underneath. I'm glad you enjoyed this and thanks for being the one to open it early.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to GoodToGrape)
Post #: 15
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/18/2011 7:44:49 PM   
ikkaariainen

Thanks again to my '11 CT SS tashNYC for these Walla Walla WA gems, both enjoyed this past Friday night at a Christmas dinner at our country club with fellow CT wino neighborbill:

'02 Spring Valley Vineyards "Nina Lee" syrah: 91 points - This wine was received from tashNYC for the '11 CT SS game and drank 2 nights ago with good CT wine buddy neighborbill at a Christmas dinner at Lake Hickory CC. The bottle was not formally decanted but it was opened to breath almost 3 hours before consumption and was adequately aired although certainly a brief decant of an hour would not hurt this wine at all - I would NOT go as long as the 3 hours in the decanter suggested in a previous TN. Nose initially somewhat musty then opened up very nicely with dark fruit, mulling spices and almost a hint of burnt sugar. Big wine, full bodied, very dark purple, well balanced and complex with controlled alcohol and a long lingering aftertaste. Adequate fruit present with well balanced tannins - at least 3-5 more years of cellar life left. Primary flavors in a dark profile with dark fruit, mocha and a hint of black pepper late on the palate. A good QPR wine at this average CT price point, would definitely recommend this and again a big thanks to tashNYC for kindly sharing a bottle of this with us.

'05 Spring Valley Vineyards "Uriah" bdx blend: 92 points - This wine was received from tashNYC for the '11 CT SS game and drank 2 nights ago with good CT wine buddy neighborbill at a Christmas dinner at Lake Hickory CC. The bottle was not formally decanted but it was opened and was breathing for almost 4 hours before consumption and was adequately aired although an hour or two in the decanter would not hurt this wine at all. This is a very good wine, the first bottle of this wine and of this particular vintage we had was a little over two years ago and this wine has continued to improve. This is a right bank style bdx blend of primarily merlot, cab franc and petit verdot. The nose initially a little funky and this blew off very quickly with balanced oak, dark fruit and a hint of black currant. A big wine, in a great drinking window right now, almost inky black, very balanced and smooth with good mouth feel and overall very balanced acid / tannins / fruit and this has lots longer to go in the cellar. Very smooth and sophisticated on the palate with controlled but present oak, terroir, red cherry and the development of black pepper and a whiff of smoke on a long lingering pleasant aftertaste. A very good QPR wine at this average CT price point, would definitely recommend this and again a big thanks to tashNYC for kindly sharing a bottle of this with us.

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 16
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/24/2011 1:55:06 PM   
mgriffith

Tasting day for Santa's choice of Bordeaux

Went to open the bottle and found it replaced with a bottle of Manischewitz on which was a note from TW ransoming the real stuff.

I will be arraigned on the murder charges in a few hours once I have had time to confer with counsel.

(in reply to ikkaariainen)
Post #: 17
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/24/2011 2:02:01 PM   
dsGris

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgriffith

Tasting day for Santa's choice of Bordeaux

Went to open the bottle and found it replaced with a bottle of Manischewitz on which was a note from TW ransoming the real stuff.

I will be arraigned on the murder charges in a few hours once I have had time to confer with counsel.

I'm seeing a lengthy honey do list

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 18
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/24/2011 7:04:13 PM   
mgriffith

"It's dead, Jim!" Leonard McCoy, MD

The 2001 Château La Vieille Cure is no more. It is deceased, bereft of life, gone to join the Choir Invisible. But its passing was notable. From the tasting note:

93 points: Received from mt CT Secret Santa this year, the bottle lay waiting. Tempting me daily with whispers of promised joys. But I remained strong and immune until the appointed day - today - Christmas Eve.

The bacchanal kicked off about 2:30 when I first popped the cork. The bottom of the cork was well stained almost a quarter inch from the bottom and wonderful aromas of berry, peat and chocolate tantalized me. But I had to be patient.

The first tasting came around 4. A plate of Salami, Capicola, Sopressetta and Speck laid before me and a glass in hand. Taste, sip, taste sip. Wonderful.

There could be little doubt this was a Bordeaux. All the expected nuanced flavors were there. And that light, distinctive aged Bordeaux funk.

This could get good.

An hour or so later came the Pate. Blissful pairing. One might be led to think that the French planned this long ago.

Another hour passes and we move to pan roasted duck breast with a sauteed mushroom medley. I am started to get that glazed look in my eye that can only come from a gastronomical coma. Must-hold-on!

After letting the duck settle I move on to the Lamb Chops and roasted root vegetables. Naturally I saved the rendered duck fat and used that on the veg.

Note to self. Double, no, triple up on Lipitor.

The wine continued to show well throughout the afternoon and evening.

The repast just finished with a cheese tray for dessert. Raclet, Bleu and a third whose name escapes me at the moment. The only low point in the entire day being that blasted third cheese. Not well paired with the wine and not notable on its own at all.

With only one item not standing out, and the wine holding its own against everything I threw at it, I must call this one a stellar success!

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 19
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/25/2011 4:01:50 AM   
dontime

I feel strangely full after reading your note, Malcom.  Pass the Lipitor please. 

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to mgriffith)
Post #: 20
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/25/2011 10:16:08 AM   
grafstrb

Dang, Malcom ... that sounds delicious!!!!  mmmmmm...aged Bdx. and cured deli meats!!!  {drool}

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 21
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/26/2011 12:19:59 PM   
kelpcowboy

2000 Pegau CdP - my wonderful gift from caeleric

Opened yesterday for Christmas dinner of prime rib, twice baked potatoes and ginger carrots.

Slight hint of brick in the color. Plum, roast meats, garrique and dark fruit with a hint of pepper. Elegant mouth feel and a long finish. This is CdP as it should be and is drinking well now with lots of time to go. An easy 94 with potential ahead.

A great addition to a happy holiday.

Cheers,

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. -- Mitch Ratcliffe

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 22
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/26/2011 7:49:30 PM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: kelpcowboy

2000 Pegau CdP - my wonderful gift from caeleric

Opened yesterday for Christmas dinner of prime rib, twice baked potatoes and ginger carrots.

Slight hint of brick in the color. Plum, roast meats, garrique and dark fruit with a hint of pepper. Elegant mouth feel and a long finish. This is CdP as it should be and is drinking well now with lots of time to go. An easy 94 with potential ahead.

A great addition to a happy holiday.

Cheers,

glad you liked it! happy holidays to you and yours :)

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to kelpcowboy)
Post #: 23
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/26/2011 7:51:21 PM   
tourette

I opened the 2005 Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District with Christmas dinner as planned. It was very interesting, and a nice accompaniment to the meal, but quite different than I had expected. Thanks again for the gift, as I love trying different wines in this region and learning more about them all.

quote:

Secret Santa gift 2011. Very different expression of Stag's Leap. Interesting and expressive nose. Currants, blackberries, and a very nice bit of leather. The palate was surprisingly acidic though. Wound up and a bit disjointed, and also very thin. Odd, as the roundness and smoothness of the palate along with the silky tannins are usually what scream "Stag's Leap" to me. But this one isn't very tannic at all and is rather short on the finish. As it opened up, there was more earth and leather on the nose, and some came through in the mouth as well. It was a very nice food wine, and was enjoyable with Christmas dinner. Not too fond of it on its own though.

Also I found it odd that there are two entries for this wine in CT. At least I think they are for the same wine, as I could only find one such wine on Clos Du Val's website. If this is a duplicate, then I will post again in the Dupes forum, but I'm not quite sure:
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=683709
https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=505229

Jeff

(in reply to kelpcowboy)
Post #: 24
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/27/2011 1:30:57 PM   
wallstreet

A very nice wine indeed :)     Nice S.S. Present :)

2007 Longoria Pinot Noir Fe Ciega Vineyard

12/25/2011 rated 90 points: Very nice Pinot. Not over the top. Decanted for 30 min. Nicly perfumed nose. A bit tight still on the palate. A bit of spice picked up in the mouth. Should improve over the next two or three years. I noticed a toasty oak finish. Should further integrate but will have oak on the finish for the foreseeable future. I thought of Vincent Giradin Red Burgs when I tasted this. Both have that oaky taste, but not overbearing. Great cellartracker S.S. Gift. Thanks Grayfont! (49 views)

Enjoyed by all in attendance :)

best thing about this wine is that it isn't one of those "in your face" pinots that I have come to love to hate..........  this was not one of those.  A bit overoaked, but it should subside in a couple of years.  First time trying a wine from this area,  glad I did.

"One Man Gathers, What Another Man Spills"...Robert Hunter 1968

----
Wine, Watches And Women....not necessarily in that order

(in reply to tourette)
Post #: 25
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/28/2011 10:59:40 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

2000 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Château d'Ampuis

12/23/2011 rated 93 points: Fantastic, smooth, elegant wine shared with family during pre-Christmas festivities alongside CT Secret Santa Europe 2011 celebrations at The Hide. This wine was gifted to me by those fine chaps and chapesses and I truly appreciate the gesture. And the wine. I didn't take detailed notes, but it was one of my best wines of the Holiday and in a style that tells me I need to try more from the Old World.

Thanks again all!

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to wallstreet)
Post #: 26
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/28/2011 11:15:44 AM   
pbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

2000 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie Château d'Ampuis

12/23/2011 rated 93 points: Fantastic, smooth, elegant wine shared with family during pre-Christmas festivities alongside CT Secret Santa Europe 2011 celebrations at The Hide. This wine was gifted to me by those fine chaps and chapesses and I truly appreciate the gesture. And the wine. I didn't take detailed notes, but it was one of my best wines of the Holiday and in a style that tells me I need to try more from the Old World.

Thanks again all!

Great wine...really, really great wine.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 27
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/28/2011 12:14:42 PM   
NathanT

quote:

ORIGINAL: tourette

I opened the 2005 Clos du Val Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District with Christmas dinner as planned. It was very interesting, and a nice accompaniment to the meal, but quite different than I had expected. Thanks again for the gift, as I love trying different wines in this region and learning more about them all.

quote:

Secret Santa gift 2011. Very different expression of Stag's Leap. Interesting and expressive nose. Currants, blackberries, and a very nice bit of leather. The palate was surprisingly acidic though. Wound up and a bit disjointed, and also very thin. Odd, as the roundness and smoothness of the palate along with the silky tannins are usually what scream "Stag's Leap" to me. But this one isn't very tannic at all and is rather short on the finish. As it opened up, there was more earth and leather on the nose, and some came through in the mouth as well. It was a very nice food wine, and was enjoyable with Christmas dinner. Not too fond of it on its own though.

Also I found it odd that there are two entries for this wine in CT. At least I think they are for the same wine, as I could only find one such wine on Clos Du Val's website. If this is a duplicate, then I will post again in the Dupes forum, but I'm not quite sure:

Jeff

I agree Jeff.  From your tasting note, that does not sound like Stags Leap to me also, but I tried more of the big flavor style of Stags Leap.  As previous tasting notes suggested, this is more restrained Bordeaux style.  In my opinion from previous tasting notes, this is still a young wine that needs much air time.  I haven't tried out this particular bottle yet, but I still have one in my cellar.  I will try it out in a span of 2 days.

I have it under this link https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=683709

Here is a note from W&S that may have aligned with your note.
"The vibrant color and complex flavor depth make an immediate impression, but it takes two days of air for the elegance and detail of the wine to completely show. Until then, it seems a little self-consciously important, posturing with lots of face paint from new oak and spicy curves right under your nose. The oak integrates with air, and the freshness of the wine wins out over any affectations it displays for immediate drinking. This is, in fact, built for the long haul."
93 Points
Wine & Spirits

(in reply to tourette)
Post #: 28
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/28/2011 12:21:37 PM   
NathanT

I opened my 2001 Grand-Puy-Lacoste received from ssimpsonjr for Christmas dinner.  Thank you!  It went very well with the food and the crowd. 

PnP: Dark ruby core color with brick edge. On the nose, vegetal note dominant. On the palate, mild tannins with medium bodied.

Over the course of 1.5 hour, the initial vegetal note on the nose slowly evolved into ripe/stewed fruit. On the palate, medium bodied mixture of ripe dark fruit and more vegetal component. Medium finish.

Much more balanced than the 2004 but less intensity, as expected due to age. 2004 vintage had a higher tone of acidity, but the flavor was more pronounced.

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 29
RE: 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread - 12/28/2011 12:46:54 PM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: NathanT

quote:

ORIGINAL: tourette

quote:

Jeff

I agree Jeff.  From your tasting note, that does not sound like Stags Leap to me also, but I tried more of the big flavor style of Stags Leap.  As previous tasting notes suggested, this is more restrained Bordeaux style.  In my opinion from previous tasting notes, this is still a young wine that needs much air time.  I haven't tried out this particular bottle yet, but I still have one in my cellar.  I will try it out in a span of 2 days.

I have it under this link https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=683709

Here is a note from W&S that may have aligned with your note.
"The vibrant color and complex flavor depth make an immediate impression, but it takes two days of air for the elegance and detail of the wine to completely show. Until then, it seems a little self-consciously important, posturing with lots of face paint from new oak and spicy curves right under your nose. The oak integrates with air, and the freshness of the wine wins out over any affectations it displays for immediate drinking. This is, in fact, built for the long haul."
93 Points
Wine & Spirits

my limited experience with clos du val wines is that they are built to age. very tannic and structured. we did a tasting of '99s a couple years ago, and a clos du val (i think it was a napa, not a stags leap, but i can't remember) and a togni really surprised me for how young they tasted. incidentally, the wotn at that tasting was a foley claret. people deride foley's wines for being big fruit bombs with nowhere to go, but this was gorgeous with 10 years of age on it.

what i got

(in reply to NathanT)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> 2011 CT Secret Santa Tasting Note Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI