CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/12/2012 1:26:46 PM   
schwank

We'd like to pick up some Riesling glasses and have been looking at the Riedels. I would like to buy perhaps a dozen. Based on the pricing I've seen posted in the past I'd prefer the Restaurant series over the Vinum. However Riedel clearly doesn't want the cheaper glasses sold at retail and I don't see any around, even on ebay. The next best deal seems to be the Vinum on Amazon at 4 for $60 and then if you buy 3 packs you can get a 4th free. So that would be 16 glasses for $181.56.

Is there some back door way to get these? My local shops all seem to use other non-Riedel stemware, and my only restauranteur friend uses only really cheap glass as he sells only cheap wine due to the nature of his establishment.

Yeah, I'm kinda being cheap but it kills me to pay double at retail vs what I've seen for the Restaurant glasses. I can even trade for Oregon Pinot glasses (glass not crystal) if anyone on the board has a connection and you don't mind various winery labeling... we have tons of them from tastings around the Willamette Valley.
Post #: 1
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/12/2012 2:15:30 PM   
GalvezGuy

Find an alternative to Riedel. Spiegelau makes good glasses that will run you much less coin. The price you are getting on the Vinum is a pretty good deal IMHO.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 2
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/12/2012 2:18:45 PM   
Bryan Collins

Riedel really, really, really hate people getting hold of these. A few years ago there was a consortium purchase on the wine-pages.com forum, set up by someone who had a mate who had a restaurant. The order was fulfilled, but Riedel found out about it and had a right hissy fit. It was hilarious, actually, although probably rather less so for the restaurateur who facilitated the order and had to deal with the fallout from Riedel.

The short answer is that there's no reliable way of getting hold of these unless you know someone in the restaurant or wine business, who's willing to front for you, unless you get lucky and find some in a closing-down sale or similar. If you do find someone in the trade who'll help, keep quiet about it, as if Riedel find out they'll probably refuse to supply them again.

They're underneath the house, where I do quite a bit of stowin'...

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 3
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/12/2012 6:05:12 PM   
Samacalpine

Try Costco. I believe I got them there some time ago. Don't remember price but do remember it was a good deal!

(in reply to Bryan Collins)
Post #: 4
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/12/2012 8:23:54 PM   
locoghoul

Your best bet is a retail store. I got a set of 4 Degustazione Riedel red wine glasses for $29.99 at HomeSense (small department store in Vancouver) which is still more expensive than it should ($3 per glass ircc). For those of you who have these, is it worth it to buy the Vinum line for example? Is there much difference? 

(in reply to Samacalpine)
Post #: 5
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/12/2012 9:55:18 PM   
schwank

Thanks for the tips... Amazon seems to have two inexpensive levels of Spiegelau for whites (Winelovers white and Vino Vino Large White) for cheaper than the Riedel Vinum. All are lead free crystal and the Winelovers glass is at a comparable price to the glass Riedel Restaurant series.

I did also find the Riedel Ouverture White which is also lead free crystal but at $19.95 for two the cost (plus the 4-for-3 deal) it is comparable to the Vino Vino, but more than the Winelovers set.

Our stock of the Oregon Pinot XL are the cheaper glass version but have held up just fine so we just figured it wasn't worth the extra for crystal. Amazon is running the 4-for-3 promotion on many sets... for the Winelovers that means 16 glasses for 81.45 which is less than half the price of the Riedel Vinum Riesling. That seems the best bet for the budget conscious consumer.

I have no problem doing cost optimization as $100 is ~5 bottles of JJ Prum or similar Kabinett They may not be the top of the market but that is not what I am after at this time. Just looking for an appropriate glass with decent quality that won't take away from my actual wine budget. Looks like we have a winner... thanks again!

(in reply to locoghoul)
Post #: 6
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/13/2012 6:03:11 AM   
annerk

Williams Sonoma regularly puts the Ouverture stems on sale. You usually have to poke around the clearance section for them, in the store, not online. I've picked up a couple dozen Bourdeaux stems that way for what has worked out to around $5 each.

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 7
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/13/2012 6:24:27 AM   
caeleric

the wine barn in orlando had a bunch of them. i bought some thinking they were the vinum series, only to realize they were the restaurant series so i returned them. i still can't figure out why i did that. for the price and quality, they're the perfect casual dinner party wine glass.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 8
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/13/2012 6:28:47 AM   
GalvezGuy

I have the Vino Vino series for Pinot, White, and Bordeaux. I haven't heard anyone complain.

quote:

ORIGINAL: schwank

Thanks for the tips... Amazon seems to have two inexpensive levels of Spiegelau for whites (Winelovers white and Vino Vino Large White) for cheaper than the Riedel Vinum. All are lead free crystal and the Winelovers glass is at a comparable price to the glass Riedel Restaurant series.

I did also find the Riedel Ouverture White which is also lead free crystal but at $19.95 for two the cost (plus the 4-for-3 deal) it is comparable to the Vino Vino, but more than the Winelovers set.

Our stock of the Oregon Pinot XL are the cheaper glass version but have held up just fine so we just figured it wasn't worth the extra for crystal. Amazon is running the 4-for-3 promotion on many sets... for the Winelovers that means 16 glasses for 81.45 which is less than half the price of the Riedel Vinum Riesling. That seems the best bet for the budget conscious consumer.

I have no problem doing cost optimization as $100 is ~5 bottles of JJ Prum or similar Kabinett They may not be the top of the market but that is not what I am after at this time. Just looking for an appropriate glass with decent quality that won't take away from my actual wine budget. Looks like we have a winner... thanks again!

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 9
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/13/2012 6:57:04 AM   
masi3v

Have you looked at Target? They have the Riedel Vivant stems which look like a pretty good deal.

“Je ne peux vivre sans Champagne, en cas de victoire, je le mérite ; en cas de défaite, j’en ai besoin.” -- Napoléon Bonaparte

Blog Link:The Drunken Cyclist

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 10
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/13/2012 9:45:14 AM   
Kermadur

We got our Spiegelau glasses at Pottery Barn, although it has been about 5 years or so. I have no idea what we paid, but it probably wasn't too much, and they have been perfectly decent glasses.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=60097

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 11
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/13/2012 11:34:59 AM   
Old Doug

A couple weeks ago, I bought 4 Libbey glasses at Kroger (a chain of grocery/supermarket stores in the midwestern and southern US).  I guess they are like a Cabernet or Syrah glass.  "Titanium infused" and warrantied for 10 or 20 years (can't remember exactly which) against the base and lip of the glasses getting chips in them.  Thin, strong, and quite nice overall.  They hold a lot of malt liquor, too.

(in reply to Kermadur)
Post #: 12
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 2/26/2012 3:51:53 PM   
schwank

It's been a couple weeks but just figured I would close out this post. We ended up going for the Spigelau Vino Grande large white wine glasses. 2 packs at Amazon were $21.15 each with the same Buy 3-Get 4th free promotion. So 8 quality glasses for $63.45 delivered. Decided to go with these over the Winelovers for the seamless construction. So far on the net I can't figure out what the difference is between the Vinovino and the Vino Grande, but the Vinovino is only sold in 4 packs and 16 glasses is a bit much for my current needs. Something in the Vino Grande has to be different.

Anyway, thanks again for the opinions... you guys saved me a bit of money over the Riedels so I will test them out with a 'free' bottle of von Hövel Spätlese and give cheers to the CT forum!

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 13
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 5/14/2012 10:32:15 AM   
dontime

I've got some Riedel Restaurant series.  Nice stems at $80/case.

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 14
RE: How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? - 5/14/2012 12:10:48 PM   
floydtp

quote:

ORIGINAL: masi3v

Have you looked at Target? They have the Riedel Vivant stems which look like a pretty good deal.

Those are good if you can tolerate the really high stems. They seem to be an inch taller than they should be.

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How to get Riedel Restaurant series glasses? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI