CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Growing Your Own Grapes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Growing Your Own Grapes Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 10/26/2017 1:40:07 PM   
Vino Me

That comes out to $2857 per ton. Maybe less if the price included shipping.

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 961
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 10/26/2017 2:24:06 PM   
khmark7

There was one customer at the brew shop picking up a 1/2 ton of fruit using a trailer. That's a lot of carboys....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 962
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 11/3/2017 9:07:09 AM   
Vino Me

I picked the last 5 lbs of grapes on Oct 28th. Decided to make a Rose' from them. Only 2 bottles but thought it would be interesting. Gave it 37 hours of cold maceration time. Pretty color. Currently fermenting. I'll rack, sulfur and add some bentonite when done.

VM

< Message edited by Vino Me -- 11/3/2017 9:10:20 AM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 963
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 11/3/2017 10:01:30 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vino Me

I picked the last 5 lbs of grapes on Oct 28th. Decided to make a Rose' from them. Only 2 bottles but thought it would be interesting. Gave it 37 hours of cold maceration time. Pretty color. Currently fermenting. I'll rack, sulfur and add some bentonite when done.

VM

Good luck with that. I tried to make a wine with about 2 pounds of fruit a couple years ago, and never got it to ferment. This year I made a 3/4 gallon or so of Roussanne, which actually did pretty well. I just blended it into a ~6 gallon batch of Viognier to add a bit of oomph (bigger wine) and complexity to the blend.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 964
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 11/3/2017 12:14:00 PM   
champagneinhand

My grapes just didn’t have enough of a proper brix to even consider making wine this year. It was probably like fruit used to be in Champagne. Things may have been better off the Lake Ontario Wine trail, but I see chapitalization as the only way theat many producers will be able to make wine this year. Hopefully the Finger Lakes wee not as wet and had more sun. I’m amazed at how many mushrooms are all over the place even now after a soft frost.

I’ve had to change HVAC filters monthly because my wife likes to leave windows open when the weather is warmer. Sports are everywhere, similar to the pollen season. My dog doesn’t do well breathing all this in. It gives him skills n irritation.

Best of luck making wine fellow growers.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 965
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 11/3/2017 12:16:12 PM   
Vino Me

No problem with it fermenting. I had to chapitalize to bring it up to 21 brix before adding the yeast but it is now bubbling away with a healthy layer of foam on the top. I used the EC 1118 yeast by Lalvin which is recommended for sparkling wines (I've been told it works well for Rose' as well).

VM

Post #: 966
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 11/8/2017 4:44:47 AM   
khmark7

First light frost a few days ago, and this AM is our first "killing" frost with temps showing 23 degrees in my yard. This weekend i should be able to start cutting back some of the vines and wrapping them with protection for our winter.

Compared to last year our first hard frost is very similar, but typically this happens a few weeks earlier. Global warming or just seasonal weather patterns?

Just yesterday i was at our local brew shop speaking with a lady who has a large greenhouse setup on her farm and had planted several European vines (she didn't know specifics) and had previously been making Mead, but now wanted to experiment with grapes. We spoke for maybe 30 minutes in the store....so much to learn for beginners it's almost overwhelming.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 967
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 1/5/2018 7:59:26 AM   
Vino Me

Just ordered 38 Riesling vines to plant in the Spring. I ordered them from Inland Desert Nursery in Washington state. This was the first time I have ordered from them. Does anyone have any experience buying from them?

I decided to try 2 different Riesling clones (both German). I bought 25 vines of clone 198 from Geisenheim in the Rheingau region (purported to produce a lower crop with fruity and elegant grapes). Also purchased the last 13 vines that they had of clone 90 from Neustadt in the Pfalz region (cold tolerant and disease resistant producing an aromatic and spicy wine). I ordered all the vines on 101-14 rootstock.

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 968
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 1/5/2018 8:15:24 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

Just ordered 38 Riesling vines to plant in the Spring. I ordered them from Inland Desert Nursery in Washington state. This was the first time I have ordered from them. Does anyone have any experience buying from them?

I decided to try 2 different Riesling clones (both German). I bought 25 vines of clone 198 from Geisenheim in the Rheingau region (purported to produce a lower crop with fruity and elegant grapes). Also purchased the last 13 vines that they had of clone 90 from Neustadt in the Pfalz region (cold tolerant and disease resistant producing an aromatic and spicy wine). I ordered all the vines on 101-14 rootstock.

VM

Ha! We need to chat or you can read my tale of 300 "Riesling" vines from Inland Desert in the Goat Rocks Vineyard thread. Overall ID are great people and experts at growing and providing great root stock. Out of 1700 vines I planted in 2015, maybe 98-99% have now survived through going on 3 fairly harsh winters. My plan for this spring is to save a boatload of cuttings and teach myself how to grow new vines. We can grow on self rooted rootstock here in Eastern WA. I will ask the ID guys for help and will see them in Feb at the winter WA Wine Growers Convention.

My Riesling vine story starts here... https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/fb.asp?m=402320

Happy ending, I have 300 very healthy Sangiovese vines (we think) and 3 barrels so far of earthy fruity red wine. ID people were very helpful, and apologetic, while professional about a mistake in labelling my vines.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 1/5/2018 8:36:37 PM >

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 969
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 1/6/2018 6:50:51 AM   
khmark7

No self rooted vinifera in my yard Chris. The heavy clay & limestone is perfect for the little root buggers.

Good luck starting your own cuttings....i found it very frustrating and didn't have any luck.

We appear to be through the worst of the 2 week polar plunge here in the Midwest. Extremely curious to see how my protective cones, wraps and otherwise will have protected the vines. Worst case scenario i laid several canes down along the ground like i see in Michigan, so all should not be lost.

Post #: 970
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 1/6/2018 10:59:31 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

No self rooted vinifera in my yard Chris. The heavy clay & limestone is perfect for the little root buggers.

Good luck starting your own cuttings....i found it very frustrating and didn't have any luck.

We appear to be through the worst of the 2 week polar plunge here in the Midwest. Extremely curious to see how my protective cones, wraps and otherwise will have protected the vines. Worst case scenario i laid several canes down along the ground like i see in Michigan, so all should not be lost.

Knock wood, our winter 17/18 has been comparatively very mild so far. Lows rarely below 20, and even though we have a bit of snow, and a ice storm or two, my vines should be in good shape. Another 6-8 weeks of hard winter to go, but the jet stream is obviously shifting the arctic blast east of us this time around.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 971
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 1/8/2018 10:41:04 AM   
Vino Me

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

VM

Ha! We need to chat or you can read my tale of 300 "Riesling" vines from Inland Desert in the Goat Rocks Vineyard thread. Overall ID are great people and experts at growing and providing great root stock. Out of 1700 vines I planted in 2015, maybe 98-99% have now survived through going on 3 fairly harsh winters. My plan for this spring is to save a boatload of cuttings and teach myself how to grow new vines. We can grow on self rooted rootstock here in Eastern WA. I will ask the ID guys for help and will see them in Feb at the winter WA Wine Growers Convention.

My Riesling vine story starts here... https://www.cellartracker.com/forum/fb.asp?m=402320

Happy ending, I have 300 very healthy Sangiovese vines (we think) and 3 barrels so far of earthy fruity red wine. ID people were very helpful, and apologetic, while professional about a mistake in labelling my vines.

Thanks. I would normally drop all the fruit the first year and let the vine put its energy into growing the roots. However, I'll have to leave some of the fruit on these Rieslings to make sure they are white.

VM

Post #: 972
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 3/18/2018 4:38:14 PM   
khmark7

Pruning of all my grapes completed. Beautiful spring weather today, and under normal circumstances we are a month away from bud break.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 973
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 4/25/2018 5:13:31 PM   
khmark7

Famous last words, "normal". After a cold spring we've now just been enjoying milder weather. Most vines are bleeding. Guessing bud break will occur next week, 1-2 weeks behind schedule.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 974
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 4/26/2018 4:18:18 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I got home this afternoon from a short overnight trip and two days near 75 did it for me. A bit uneven still but for sure plenty of buds broken. I think I’m about on par with 2017, behind 2016.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 975
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/4/2018 3:37:03 AM   
khmark7

Bud break here on the early varieties, a few which are growing along a fence lining my driveway and benefit from their warmer location. Will be a few more days for anything in my yard, including my vinifera which probably have another week, or more depending on winter damage. Will survey again later tonight now that the storms have moved on through.

Post #: 976
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/5/2018 4:37:27 PM   
khmark7

Curious to hear how much damage the vines endured this winter from the few local people who grow vines in the Chicago area. Seems that anything that i low pruned and covered with large Rose cone protection did just fine despite the -15 temps, but anything i wrapped with protective fabric didn't do so well in certain places in my yard. May have lost 2 vines unless some tertiary buds begin growing here soon.

Bud break on most varieties now, even my vinifera vines are coming along (which are notoriously slow starters)

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 977
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/15/2018 1:00:05 PM   
Vino Me

Haven't noticed any vine damage in Southwest Michigan. Bud break took place around May 10th for most of the vines.

VM

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 978
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/15/2018 4:05:52 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Our weather has flipped a switch. Today was 90+ where 3 weeks ago we were barely hitting 60. The vines have answered the call. I also installed a new bird deterrent system.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 979
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/15/2018 9:56:14 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

I also installed a new bird deterrent system.

Carnivorous Avian Territory Safeguards

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

Post #: 980
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/16/2018 5:15:30 AM   
khmark7

Looks like the winter caused some heavy damage to a few of my vines. My older Merlot & Cabernet are about 95% primary bud loss, with some recovery buds now starting to show life. The Pinotage vine appears totally dead, oh well. The smaller vines that i am able to grow as a bush vine are doing just fine, so lessons to be learned about winter protection. The Tannat, Petite Sirah, Gewurztraminer and other sensitive vines doing just fine when properly covered against the elements.

Already have shoots showing multiple leaves on many vines. With our warmer weather we might catch up, but i am very curious to see when flowering begins.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 981
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/22/2018 2:08:49 PM   
peeks13

Looks like one of my older reisling vines won't be producing buds this year. The surrounding vines are budding. What can I do to salvage this vine, if anything?

Do I prune it down to the trunk right now and hope a shoot emerges and that can be the new trunk going forward?

Is the rootstock OK or is that dead and that's why no new growth? If the roots are OK then can I expect life in the future?

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 982
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/22/2018 3:25:10 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: peeks13

Looks like one of my older reisling vines won't be producing buds this year. The surrounding vines are budding. What can I do to salvage this vine, if anything?

Do I prune it down to the trunk right now and hope a shoot emerges and that can be the new trunk going forward?

Is the rootstock OK or is that dead and that's why no new growth? If the roots are OK then can I expect life in the future?

I’ve got some in various states. I’m pruning back to trunk and it’s easy to tell if wood is dead. Shoots could come off trunk but more likely at base at ground level, starting over from scratch as a first leaf vine. If no shoots at all even from root, the whole plant is likely dead.

(in reply to peeks13)
Post #: 983
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/22/2018 4:58:59 PM   
khmark7

My Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot are just now pushing latent buds and tertiary buds, but this takes time. I don't see any reason to prune anything back, might as well wait and see what happens. If sap is flowing you have a chance.

As for my vines.....rapid growth now. I will likely be up early spraying my yard before work.....feeling like a farmer.

Post #: 984
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/23/2018 8:58:06 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

My Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot are just now pushing latent buds and tertiary buds, but this takes time. I don't see any reason to prune anything back, might as well wait and see what happens. If sap is flowing you have a chance.

As for my vines.....rapid growth now. I will likely be up early spraying my yard before work.....feeling like a farmer.

Oh, I agree with this. If any signs of life, leave it alone at this point. I meant to clip some end of the vine to see if it is alive, sap running, green inside. If there are NO signs of life up top, just giving thoughts on what might be happening from trunk or root. I literally have some vines in the middle of a row with 30+ vigorous vines that for whatever reason are dead. Some that have a few live buds on various places, some have one cordon alive, one dead, many variations. I haven't had time to replace anything, but have a few new plants from cuttings ready to go. Maybe this long weekend, I'll get some morning hours in the vines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 985
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/23/2018 9:41:36 AM   
Vino Me

I did a little bit of pruning last weekend by rubbing off the buds on the trunks. I find it much easier to rub them off now when they are sprouting than to prune them later in the year.

VM

Post #: 986
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/24/2018 7:23:33 AM   
musedir

quote:

quote:

Oh, I agree with this. If any signs of life, leave it alone at this point. I meant to clip some end of the vine to see if it is alive, sap running, green inside. If there are NO signs of life up top, just giving thoughts on what might be happening from trunk or root. I literally have some vines in the middle of a row with 30+ vigorous vines that for whatever reason are dead. Some that have a few live buds on various places, some have one cordon alive, one dead, many variations. I haven't had time to replace anything, but have a few new plants from cuttings ready to go. Maybe this long weekend, I'll get some morning hours in the vines.

Here are your vineyard clothes

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 987
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/27/2018 3:10:44 PM   
khmark7

Tom i have to admit i don't have any green overalls.

Back from Michigan and found my vines are now flowering, about 7 days later than last year, maybe less. So we've made up some time since the late bud break. Today is almost 100 degrees, so that isn't helping, it actually shuts the vines down.

Spent some time up in Petosky and Traverse City areas. Different vines and different growing conditions in both areas, which i find interesting. Spoke to some people on the ground and they felt that the winter didn't cause many problems other than the late April snows. Their vines were a little behind, but i am sure this warm weather will get them caught up as well. Early samples from 2017 were excellent.

Vino Me: How are you pruning your vines?

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 988
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/29/2018 3:24:35 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

We're coming along pretty well. This weekend we irrigated for the first time, did a bit of tying and pruning on problem vines, suckered almost all the rest of the rows, and should be almost set soon for the 2-3 month maintenance mode with mowing, spraying (if it rains), irrigating, through to netting at veraison in August.

That's the moon rising over Syrah vines in the foreground, Pinot Noir further back (different shade of green), a couple of evenings ago.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 989
RE: Growing Your Own Grapes - 5/29/2018 3:45:56 PM   
S1

quote:

We're coming along pretty well. This weekend we irrigated for the first time, did a bit of tying and pruning on problem vines, suckered almost all the rest of the rows, and should be almost set soon for the 2-3 month maintenance mode with mowing, spraying (if it rains), irrigating, through to netting at veraison in August.

That's the moon rising over Syrah vines in the foreground, Pinot Noir further back (different shade of green), a couple of evenings ago.

I’m in for a case

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Growing Your Own Grapes Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI