CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Cayuse

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cayuse Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
[Poll]

Cayuse

1-3 years
  48% (48)
4-6 years
  21% (21)
Seems like forever
  31% (31)

Total Votes : 100

(last vote on : 10/24/2023 10:59:39 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cayuse - 5/4/2012 4:48:25 PM   
copdyke

After reading all the post about people being on the waiting list forever and a day I was wondering how long you all have been on the list and if you have ever tried any of their stuff.
Post #: 1
RE: Cayuse - 5/4/2012 5:10:12 PM   
S1

my unborn grandchildren will have to let you know, but you'll need to push that window out a mite

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to copdyke)
Post #: 2
RE: Cayuse - 5/4/2012 5:12:13 PM   
caeleric

I've been on the list for a couple years. I've had a few of their wines, all of which were very unique and very good.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 3
RE: Cayuse - 5/4/2012 5:22:00 PM   
recotte

Same as caeleric. Two years on the wait list with no real expectation of getting off. Every one I've had--both Rhone and Bordeaux varietals--I've thoroughly enjoyed, but I don't think they'd be everyone's cup of tea.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 4
RE: Cayuse - 5/4/2012 8:26:14 PM   
Hollowine

I actually had beers today with my friend from Cayuse and chatted about a lot of things, including the mailing list policy. They really take a practical approach to managing their list, which is for the active Customers they can put in Wish List orders for wines they aren't allocated, and then after allocations are processed they make an effort to fairly offer remaining available wines to a mix of both Wish List requests and new additions to from the Waiting List. So every year, some % of people will move up to the Allocation list, which may mean you are only getting a 3-pk of one particular wine, but then future years Wish List requests will likely gain you some other wines.

Not quite sure how long it took me to clear the list, but I believe it was 18-24 months, but that was also 5+ years ago.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 5
RE: Cayuse - 5/4/2012 8:43:37 PM   
powersaxo

I found a retailer that gets allocated about half a case/year. When I found them over the holidays this past year, I cleaned out their remaining three bottles (all '08 Cailloux) and subsequently gave them all as gifts. In a few years, those individuals might share their bottle with me, but in the mean time, I'm on that retailer to give me a call the moment they get their next allocation.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 6
RE: Cayuse - 5/4/2012 9:51:17 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

I actually had beers today with my friend from Cayuse and chatted about a lot of things, including the mailing list policy. They really take a practical approach to managing their list, which is for the active Customers they can put in Wish List orders for wines they aren't allocated, and then after allocations are processed they make an effort to fairly offer remaining available wines to a mix of both Wish List requests and new additions to from the Waiting List. So every year, some % of people will move up to the Allocation list, which may mean you are only getting a 3-pk of one particular wine, but then future years Wish List requests will likely gain you some other wines.

Not quite sure how long it took me to clear the list, but I believe it was 18-24 months, but that was also 5+ years ago.

Good to hear that some folks actually are moving up. Did your friend give any indication of their attrition rate and how many years they'll carry someone on their mailing list without an order before they get bumped off?

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 7
RE: Cayuse - 5/5/2012 4:57:12 AM   
smahk

I've been on the list for over two years. I enjoy the wines and purchase from others on the mailing list or a retailer that happens to have some in stock at a not too ridiculous price.

Waiting..... and waiting......

Cin Cin!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 8
RE: Cayuse - 5/5/2012 10:42:03 AM   
Stirling

My local bottle shop has managed to get the 06 and 08 vintages of the Cailloux Vineyard Syrah, and of course I have bought each. I am hoping this will continue for a few more years! Living in Canada, there is no point in joining lists as our ridiculous duty and importation laws have made it so that no one will ship to individuals.

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 9
RE: Cayuse - 5/5/2012 10:50:48 AM   
Birch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

My local bottle shop has managed to get the 06 and 08 vintages of the Cailloux Vineyard Syrah, and of course I have bought each. I am hoping this will continue for a few more years! Living in Canada, there is no point in joining lists as our ridiculous duty and importation laws have made it so that no one will ship to individuals.

You need wine locker in Alberta!  

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 10
RE: Cayuse - 5/5/2012 11:17:21 AM   
Vinsant

If you like the funky wines of Cornas, Vacq, and Cdps I think you'll enjoy the Cayuse wines. Signed up in 2001, I think, and luckily no wait list and could purchase singles bottles...my how times have changed. I hear the wait is approx three years to get the initial offering.

(in reply to Birch)
Post #: 11
[Deleted] - 5/5/2012 12:29:38 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Vinsant)
  Post #: 12
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/5/2012 12:55:31 PM   
copdyke

I have a friend that got a bottle at a retail store and he traded me a 2009 Cailloux Vineyard for a Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr which I had no problem getting.

< Message edited by copdyke -- 7/21/2012 3:37:23 PM >

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 13
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/5/2012 12:58:45 PM   
pjaines

. woops - misread post.

Edit.

< Message edited by pjaines -- 5/5/2012 12:59:22 PM >

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to copdyke)
Post #: 14
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/5/2012 8:21:35 PM   
tacman

I thought Cayuse was a scam run by Hollowine until I met the Bionic Frog himself last week at HdR ... now I'm stuck waiting indefinitely!

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 15
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/5/2012 8:59:15 PM   
jrockman

I joined the wait list just earlier this week on hollowine's suggestion; maybe in five years?

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 16
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/6/2012 2:33:18 AM   
slaughterer

If you can find Cayuse that is not sold out, the retail price for where I live is equivalent to:

Guigal, Cote Rotie, La Turque
or
Domaine Perrot Minot, Charmes Chambertin, GC
I do not have any hope of finding better prices in my neck of the woods.
Cayuse took off like a rocket ship to planet high-end a while back.
I thought we were supposed to like Washington wines for their affordability?

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 17
[Deleted] - 5/6/2012 2:58:10 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to slaughterer)
  Post #: 18
RE: Cayuse alternative - 5/6/2012 3:42:36 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: mrpostcard

An affordable alternative to Cayuse is Reynvaan. Very similar Walla Walla earthiness though not quite as much of that earthy funkiness. Wines are a little lighter and slightly less viscous. They drink well now with just a little time in a decanter to open. 3 big pluses…they are affordable, you should be able to get on their list and the Reynvaan is a pleasure to work with. BTW Christophe Baron consults for them, property is adjacent to his. Unnamed & Stonessence are 2 of my favorites there.

Agree with all except possibly that they are in the process of moving to a closed mailing list only allocation. Wait time is surely less than Cayuse but you may have some wait. Easy to find at reasonable prices retail in PNW still.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 19
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/6/2012 5:41:27 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: slaughterer

If you can find Cayuse that is not sold out, the retail price for where I live is equivalent to:

or

Cayuse shouldn't even be considered at those prices.

Terroir is not a flavor.

Post #: 20
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/6/2012 6:43:42 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

quote:

or

Cayuse shouldn't even be considered at those prices.

completely agree!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 21
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/6/2012 7:43:29 AM   
powersaxo

quote:

or

You should check out winebid.com. Bionic Frog goes for about $180 opening bid (with little competition) whereas all the La La's start in the $200's and that's only a few lots. Most are much more. Cayuse's single vineyard syrah's can usually be found for under $100, unless it's Armada.

Post #: 22
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/6/2012 9:19:36 AM   
dsGris

I joined the Reynvaan list several years ago, but now find them locally at two places, Stonessense goes fast. Saving on shipping helps. for as culty as Cayuse Syrah is, $100+ on the secondary market, while above my comfort zone, is still a pretty good deal compared to that Cali cab juice.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to powersaxo)
Post #: 23
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/6/2012 10:21:02 AM   
MindMuse

Three years. And no, I've never tried them.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 24
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/6/2012 5:21:03 PM   
slaughterer

To answer the question of the forum,
1.) I am on the Cayuse waiting list
2.) I have tried the:
En Cerise 2007 (amazing)
Camaspelo 2006, 2008
(I am looking forward to the Bionic Frog when I can lay my hands on it.)
Will check out some local auction houses, as I think I might find some lots with some Cayuse if I am lucky.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 25
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/7/2012 12:48:25 PM   
ShawnM789

I have been on waiting list for just over a year.  I had asked them an estimated time frame, they said over 3+ years.  The same goes for their other project No Girls Wine.

Post #: 26
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/7/2012 1:56:29 PM   
ob2s

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

I thought Cayuse was a scam run by Hollowine until I met the Bionic Frog himself last week at HdR ... now I'm stuck waiting indefinitely!

I met the frog week before last and won't shed tear for not being able to get on the list.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 27
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/7/2012 2:18:25 PM   
GalvezGuy

On the list, tried two vintages of Cailloux and one of the Frog. I want the wines. Been on the list about 2 years.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 28
RE: Cayuse - 5/7/2012 3:22:54 PM   
cancuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

Just a FYI: I also live in Vancouver and am on Cayuse's mailing list. I get a small allocation every year and bring it over the border because our ridiculous duty isn't actually as bad as you think for "expensive wine" when you are bringing it back for your own consumption.

While the duty is a crazy high percentage, there is a "maximum duty per .750ml" that very few people actually know about (including officers). That duty is $12.75/btl + 12% HST. So, if you are buying a bottle for $55 (cailloux), you are not going to pay the "123%" that everybody thinks, you are actually going to pay ($55 +12.75) * 1.12 = $69.28 - $55 = $14.28/btl. of duty.

As I said, even the officers don't know this and whenever you show up at the border with a case of wine they will say "do you know how much duty you are going to pay???" just smile and nod and have your receipts. They will put the prices into their computer and it will be as I've shown above.

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 29
RE: Cayuse almost on the list - 5/7/2012 3:26:15 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

Three years. And no, I've never tried them.

Dennis--you're back!!
We were worried
(about the rush to raid your cellar if you were abducted by aliens)

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Cayuse Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI