CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

NWR: Today's Music Mix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR: Today's Music Mix Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 1:40:19 PM   
fingers

Despite owning multiple mp3/iPods, iPads, laptops, etc, I still rock it old school at home listening to music via 5-disc CD carousel, usually running in random mode. XM, Pandora, et al, are fine but I want to play stuff I own (that’s why I bought it) and hear all the tracks from an album, not just the hits.
So, any other dinosaurs out there still using carousel CD players for your at-home listening?
What’s in it today?

Maybe you run a playlist on a PMD (Personal Music Device) for your daily tunes, but I’m just trying to limit it to what five or six albums you have running today. Update as we go and feel free to add comments

< Message edited by fingers -- 8/15/2012 11:42:15 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 1:40:59 PM   
fingers

7/10/12
D1 - Tears For Fears, Rauol and the Kings of Spain

D2 - Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
Wow, that’s some nice smoke-laden, highball whiskey subtlety with sweet string arrangments by Claus Ogerman

D3 - Weather Report, Heavy Weather
Remembering how hard it was to bang out “birdland” solo on the piano. “A Remark You Made” is fully memorized and is still a regular song I use when asked to play

D4 - Jill Scott, The Light of the Sun
My current favorite Soul Diva. This is one of her best imho

D5 - Incubus, Morning Drive
Creative and passionate. Always a good combo

Not my favorite mix, just what was in the machine today and I think it could be worthy of an ongoing thread, a la Quote of the Day, etc

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 2
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 1:59:32 PM   
pjaines

< Message edited by pjaines -- 7/10/2012 2:00:18 PM >

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 3
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 2:01:46 PM   
bretrooks

I'm not sure what exactly is in the CD player at home right now, but I tend to listen to whole albums while at work, either streaming online or from my iPod. Thus far today, I've been checking out a few albums I don't know very well (due to an Amazon mp3 sale):
+ Wye Oak - Civilian
+ Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
+ Porcelain Raft - Strange Weekend
+ Iron & Wine - Around the Well

Not sure what I'm going to listen to next...

< Message edited by bretrooks -- 7/10/2012 2:04:19 PM >

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 4
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/10/2012 2:58:36 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

…but I’m just trying to limit it to what five or six albums you have running today. Update as we go and feel free to add comments

Yeah, I fall into the old school category as well.

I seem to be one of the few still buying CDs. Love the physical artifact. Love having the entire album & not just the "hit cut".

In fact, just today received The Complete Beat. All of The English Beat albums, remastered, with an extra 2-CD set of 12-in. extended & dub versions, as well as The Peel Sessions tracks & five live cuts from the Opera House in Boston from 19 November 1982.

It's a five CD set, so falls into your category. Great stuff.

Having just seen The English Beat live two weeks ago has me on a kick. And this boxed-set was just released today.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 5
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 3:00:52 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

Remembering how hard it was to bang out “birdland” solo on the piano. “A Remark You Made” is fully memorized and is still a regular song I use when asked to play

Maybe not what I was listening to today, but I feel very, very lucky to have seen Weather Report twice in concert.

The "Black Market" as well as the "Heavy Weather" tours. They were an amazing force live.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 6
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 3:34:10 PM   
hankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: bretrooks

+ Wye Oak - Civilian

hey that song is on the playlist I've been listening to today too!

here's the first quarter of the list, kind of eclectic style-wise but somehow hangs together pretty well:

Toro y Moi - New Beat
The Dirtbombs - Cosmic Cars
J Mascis - Is it Done
Aforementioned Wye Oak
The Mountain Goats - Birth of Serpents
Starfucker - Bury us Alive
The One AM Radio - Sunlight
My Morning Jacket - Holding on to Black Metal (my 3 yo daughter's favorite song right now)
Elliott Brood - Northern Air (makes me want to go backpacking so badly I could cry)

I really like The One AM Radio. Layered and poppy at the same time, electronic and musical too. It's more or less a one man band, and shows really well what a guy with some talent and a Macbook Pro can do nowadays.

Sunlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8sJ21qqzLg

Edit: whoops sorry not CD's . Those still get played though ...

< Message edited by hankj -- 7/10/2012 3:36:53 PM >

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 7
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 3:40:56 PM   
musedir

As the author of Stump the Chump, I tend to go the DJ route. Perhaps not as comptent or as club savvy as Pjaines but I like to make playlists and bring on the next song. I play Sirius radio at work and tap into my 27000+ song catalogue at home. Still, when I was a student I could put on some CSNY or Airplane, slip on my headphones and... Well, rock out! Exceptions? Yup... Operas. Love 'em!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 8
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 4:21:08 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp
quote:

Maybe not what I was listening to today, but I feel very, very lucky to have seen Weather Report twice in concert.

The "Black Market" as well as the "Heavy Weather" tours. They were an amazing force live.

Saw them a few times. Once at Perkins Palace in Pasadena (c.1978) which was basically a converted movie house. Jaco was friking insane and so much fun to watch. Zawinul lived in Pasadena overlooking the Rose Bowl and one night a couple of other music buddies and I creeped up to his front window and saw a Rick Wakeman-esque keyboard setup in the living room that we just drooled about.

Have also seen English Beat in various incarnations (General Public,etc) too many times to remember. Dave Wakeling lives about 20 minutes south of here

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 9
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 4:39:14 PM   
champagneinhand

My worst decision music related was to sell my pioneer 100 disc carousel and sell the cds. I bought into the digital music bit until my PC was hijacked. I've been slowly picking up CDs again as I see them. Wish I kept my vinyl and photo Loa, but just don't have the space. I use a little bookshelf system and have a klipsch iPod dock and rock in the basement. Klipsch puts most similarly sized View to shame.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 10
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/10/2012 8:52:16 PM   
Hollowine

I went way over the top on the new audio config...

When we built the addition to the house, I wired the entire addition as well as the kitchen/living room with whole house built in audio. I'm running a B&K CT600.3 Mulit-zone amp pushing 55w out to 6 zones.

I was going to go to a 400 disc carousel player, but instead I burned my entire CD collection to iTunes using the Lossless encoding format. Took about 6 days to burn all my discs (400 or so)

The iTunes library is on it's own partition on a MacPro Server which feeds the tunes over to Wi-Fi to two Apple Airport Base stations. Using Airtunes, I can control the Audio library from any computer, iPad, or iPhone in the house using Apple Remote app, and tell it which of the two Airports to play out of. The tunes then wirelessly stream to the Airport, connected to the B&K amp via Monster Cable 2.5mm to RCA input connects.

I listen to whatever I want, and then when the mood strikes me I pick up my phone, flip through my visual CD collection on the Server, and change my mood at will.

Right now Snooky Pryor is blowing some serious harp. Last night I regressed to High School with Metallica Black album and Judas Priest Turbo. During work I usually put on Miles Davis or NPR. All with never leaving my desk...

Still trying to figure out where I'm going to setup my two-channel hi-fi...hoping to make an audio room in the basement with a home theater and listening room. Got some serious gear for that, all sitting in boxes currently...

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 11
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/10/2012 9:43:02 PM   
grafstrb

quote:

So, any other dinosaurs out there still using carousel CD players for your at home listening?
What’s in it today?

Yes.

D1: Tosca - "Suzuki" --- super chill, laid-back, dubby electronic music. Very relaxing ... perfect for rolling up a big ...

D2: Chase & Status - "No More Idols" --- eclectic dub-step; English duo; saw these guys live at a week-long ski & music festival in Austria; they rocked!

D3: Deep Purple - "Machine Head" --- "Smoke on the Water" --- 'nuff said.

D4: Pole - "Pole" --- minimalist blip-hop electronic music; features vocals by Detroit underground rap artist, Fat Jon. Really really good; dubby; chill.

D5: Stone Temple Pilots - "Purple" --- for me, this is a classic.

Good idea for a thread, Bob. This thread will probably inspire me to use the changer more often. When I do use it, I do the same thing as you, for the exact same reasons.

Sometimes, I go to my CD shelves, close my eyes, and pull five at random; only problem is: I kinda know where everything is ... so, for example, I know if I go way upper right I'm going to Pantera land, to the left I'm going to death metal and hardcore metal; middle middle is classic rock and jazz, middle right is blues, middle left is alternative, lower is rap/hip-hop, way lower left is R&B, etc. etc. etc. ...

< Message edited by grafstrb -- 7/10/2012 9:47:56 PM >

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 12
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/10/2012 9:56:23 PM   
Hollowine

Nice mix Brian!

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 13
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/10/2012 10:01:17 PM   
grafstrb

thanks, scott! I'd be surprised if you've heard of anybody on that list besides Deep Purple and STP.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 14
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/10/2012 10:08:17 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

thanks, scott! I'd be surprised if you've heard of anybody on that list besides Deep Purple and STP.

Oh yes Brian, we all discuss it at morning coffee at the Walmart cantina...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgII2gDY-Rw

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 15
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/10/2012 10:58:22 PM   
grafstrb

OMG! That is hilarous. But, Scott, you're not as old as most of the people in that video!

LOL!!! That video just keeps on giving! The dance moves they pull out are, actually, not that far off!

P.S.: Some of Chase & Status' stuff is like that, but absolutely none of Pole or Tosca is like that.

Here's one good track off each of the Pole and Tosca albums that I listed above:
Tosca - "Boss On A Boat"
Pole - "Slow Motion" (feat. Fat Jon)

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 16
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/10/2012 11:31:08 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

OMG! That is hilarous. But, Scott, you're not as old as most of the people in that video!

LOL!!! That video just keeps on giving! The dance moves they pull out are, actually, not that far off!

P.S.: Some of Chase & Status' stuff is like that, but absolutely none of Pole or Tosca is like that.

Here's one good track off each of the Pole and Tosca albums that I listed above:
Tosca - "Boss On A Boat"
Pole - "Slow Motion" (feat. Fat Jon)

We will have to put some on for drycab at an offline then to see his reaction...

My buddies basically refer to it as Robot Rape music...

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 17
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/11/2012 1:26:03 AM   
pjaines

Being a bit of a house music nut I make my own mixes and also listen to a lot of live mixes that I download from the interweb thingy.

For normal music seem to have the following at the moment:

Leftfield - Leftism
George Micheal - Listen Without Prejudice (found it in the car and found it was actually pretty decent)
Groove Armada - Blight Light
Amy Winehouse
Adele

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 18
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/11/2012 1:30:16 AM   
pjaines

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjaines

George Micheal - Listen Without Prejudice (found it in the car and found it was actually pretty decent)

I can't believe I admitted to that.

Mitigating circumstances - it is my wife's CD and it was the only CD in the car that was not kids songs.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 19
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/11/2012 6:40:18 AM   
fingers

quote:

quote:

I can't believe I admitted to that.

Mitigating circumstances - it is my wife's CD and it was the only CD in the car that was not kids songs.

It's okay, The Groove Armada makes up for it

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 20
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/11/2012 6:45:28 AM   
Khamen

I'm not much of a chart follower but I'm really liking the new song from Florence and the Machine.

We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now!

Withnail

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 21
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/11/2012 6:45:50 AM   
musedir

Saw an excellent documentary last night by Scott Dunn on History of Headbangers and Heavy Metal Music... must confess I like a lot of it.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 22
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/11/2012 11:37:27 AM   
fingers

7/11/12

D1 - Joe Bonamassa, Live from Royal Albert Hall pt.2
Some very hot blues

D2 - Radiohead, OK Computer
Probably only the 4th or 5th time I’ve played this and it does grow on me. In a melancholy-morose sort of way, but that's Radiohead

D3 - Songs for Japan, pt 1
The twin disc set that raised money for the Tsunami victims. As all these “We Are The World”-type collections turn out to be, not much worth repeating.

D4 - Modern Jazz Quartet, Pyramid
Yep. This is how it’s supposed to be done. Original recipe classic jazz

D5 - Earth, Wind, & Fire, Open Our Eyes
Maurice, Philip, et al are never at a loss for a positive message, are they?

Better today than yesterday. I gotta say when MJQ comes on right after Radiohead, it’s very cathartic.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 23
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/11/2012 11:58:32 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Bob, you have my vote as house DJ. Spin on!

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 24
RE: NWR: Todays Music Mix - 7/11/2012 1:48:18 PM   
cookiefiend

Yesterday at the office and in the car: iTunes -

Nick Drake, Bryter Layter, Five Leaves Left, Pink Moon
Frou Frou - Details
Cat Power - The Greatest

Today in the car:

D1 - Sufjan Stevens, Seven Swans
D2 - Dave Matthews Band, Crash
D3 - Givers, In Light
D4 - Lisa Hannigan, Passengers
D5 - Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues
D6 - My Morning Jacket, The Tennessee Fire

D7 (it's behind the screen, not part of the regular cd player) - Incubus, Morning View

In the house:

D1 - Madeleine Peyroux, Careless Love
D2 - Melody Gardot, My One and Only Thrill
D3 - Miles Davis, Kind of Blue
D4 - Frank Sinatra, Gold Frank Sinatra
D5 - Diana Krall, All For You: A Dedication to The Nat King Cole Trio
D6 - Fred Hersch, Passion Flower

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 25
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/11/2012 2:30:23 PM   
canandi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

I went way over the top on the new audio config...

When we built the addition to the house, I wired the entire addition as well as the kitchen/living room with whole house built in audio. I'm running a B&K CT600.3 Mulit-zone amp pushing 55w out to 6 zones.

I was going to go to a 400 disc carousel player, but instead I burned my entire CD collection to iTunes using the Lossless encoding format. Took about 6 days to burn all my discs (400 or so)

The iTunes library is on it's own partition on a MacPro Server which feeds the tunes over to Wi-Fi to two Apple Airport Base stations. Using Airtunes, I can control the Audio library from any computer, iPad, or iPhone in the house using Apple Remote app, and tell it which of the two Airports to play out of. The tunes then wirelessly stream to the Airport, connected to the B&K amp via Monster Cable 2.5mm to RCA input connects.

I listen to whatever I want, and then when the mood strikes me I pick up my phone, flip through my visual CD collection on the Server, and change my mood at will.

Right now Snooky Pryor is blowing some serious harp. Last night I regressed to High School with Metallica Black album and Judas Priest Turbo. During work I usually put on Miles Davis or NPR. All with never leaving my desk...

Still trying to figure out where I'm going to setup my two-channel hi-fi...hoping to make an audio room in the basement with a home theater and listening room. Got some serious gear for that, all sitting in boxes currently...

We did something similar during a renovation but not to the same extent. We had an old intercom system that ran through the house. It was great when the kids were little as it allowed us to monitor them after we put them to bed but when we tore the kitchen apart last year it was determined that an upgrade was in order.
We are using the Sonos system with the existing wiring and our iTunes account.
The only issue I find is that the kids complain at times when they are gaming as it can cause some jitter on their network connection.

I haven't loaded all our Christmas music in and still use the CD player for all those discs. Load them up and I have music all day.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 26
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/11/2012 2:59:23 PM   
pjaines

Because of this thread I had a peruse of my iPod to see what else I have been listen to of late.

Random stuff. I've knocked out the house music which no one will know and stuck to non dance music.

Soul Coughing - Ruby Vroom.... A very weird album and one of my favourites. Especially screenwriter blues.
Blue lines by massive attack .....
kick by INXS
Rage against the machine.....because obviously being a 42 year old employed in the banking sector this is my pathetic attempt at redeeming my soul

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to canandi)
Post #: 27
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/11/2012 3:08:14 PM   
musedir

"Rage against the machine.....because obviously being a 42 year old employed in the banking sector this is my pathetic attempt at redeeming my soul"

You'll go far, grasshopper!

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 28
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/11/2012 3:16:13 PM   
pjaines

The irony of a man such as myself shouting "feck you I won't do what you tell me" whilst listen to rage against the machine as I drive my kids to drama class is not lost on myself.

Of course I suddenly realised my kids were in the car and changed the music to Billy Pirate and a story about fluffy bunnies or some such guff.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 29
RE: NWR: Today's Music Mix - 7/11/2012 3:18:06 PM   
J2K

Current CD in car is The Pixies- Death to the Pixies

(in reply to pjaines)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> NWR: Today's Music Mix Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI