CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

What cigar are you smoking?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> What cigar are you smoking? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What cigar are you smoking? - 8/18/2012 10:14:07 PM   
floydtp

I assume this thread has been done before but either way, let's start again. Especially since almost all of the CT forum users I know personally also are cigar collectors.

Last night I had a Padron maduro robusto 52x5.5- enjoyable enough but a bit too much cocoa and coffee. Somewhat thick and chewy. Light draw.

Tonight I am enjoying a Cohiba edicion limitada 2011 52x6.5- creamy leather, earth and some cedar all the way through. A touch of bittnerness that goes well with the imperial IPA I am drinking with it. Light-medium draw (much lighter than other examples I have had). Thanks to ckinv for this one.

Post #: 1
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/19/2012 6:50:18 AM   
fasteddie35

Last night, after steaks, Macanudo Maduro Vintage 1997 Robusto. Nice smoke. Normally, I find Macanudos to be very light / mild in flavor. This dark brown, oily stick was a gift. Very moist. Chocolate and cedar on the finish. Smoked it with a Leffe Brun. I'd buy another 2 - 3 to try again. Well done.

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 2
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/19/2012 10:16:01 AM   
wadcorp

Yesterday, Avo No. 2.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 3
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/19/2012 10:17:04 AM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Yesterday, Avo No. 2.

What about tomorrow?

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 4
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/19/2012 10:30:14 AM   
Ricardo

My monthly cigar yesterday was a Cohiba Siglo IV (cuban). With lots of booze. Good smoke.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 5
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/19/2012 11:59:25 AM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Yesterday, Avo No. 2.

What about tomorrow?

Hmm…

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 6
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/19/2012 8:29:06 PM   
jrockman

quote:

ORIGINAL: fasteddie35

Last night, after steaks, Macanudo Maduro Vintage 1997 Robusto. Nice smoke. Normally, I find Macanudos to be very light / mild in flavor. This dark brown, oily stick was a gift. Very moist. Chocolate and cedar on the finish. Smoked it with a Leffe Brun. I'd buy another 2 - 3 to try again. Well done.

I had one of these last night as well; one of my favorite "go to" cigars.

Post #: 7
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/20/2012 2:41:18 PM   
champagneinhand

Oh when I was younger and on a good occasion I like the Cuban Romeo and Julieta No. 2. Some of the benefits of living close to Canada, but even there they aren't inexpensive, but more likely to be the real thing, than some of the Caribbean places I have been too. I also loved smoking a Cuban Cohiba Presidente, though I didn't get the Castro feeling in my bones. I like smoking a cigar, but they make things around you smell pretty bad in the morning. I get away with a cigarette in the back yard, but that's about it these days. I do have a decent pipe, but can't really enjoy smoking it nearly enough to justify all the cleaning and the length of time it takes to smoke the pipe, so I have filed that away.

In the old days, I liked Macanudo and Punch cigars. There really are good Honduran and Dominican cigars out there, but I really think its time to bring back the Cuban cigars. I know, no politics...

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 8
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/20/2012 5:12:43 PM   
fasteddie35

JRock - I was pleasantly surprised about how full the flavor was. I have two left and will enjoy those soon. We'll have to get together on our next trip to Seattle and share a smoke. Cheers, Ed

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 9
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/20/2012 5:17:45 PM   
Jack667

I don't smoke much but I was in Cancun in July so I bought a pack of Cohiba Siglo IIs. They were great - while on a trip with some friends of mine. I still have two left in the humidor!

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

Post #: 10
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/20/2012 6:23:24 PM   
fingers

Question for the stogie experts in here: Are cellar conditions, i.e. mid-50's in temp and 60-80% in humidity proper for storing your smokes? Ergo, is it acceptable to keep the cigars in the wine locker or should I use a separate humidor?

Thx
Bob

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 11
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/20/2012 6:38:15 PM   
floydtp

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Question for the stogie experts in here: Are cellar conditions, i.e. mid-50's in temp and 60-80% in humidity proper for storing your smokes? Ergo, is it acceptable to keep the cigars in the wine locker or should I use a separate humidor?

Thx
Bob

From the Cigar Aficionado website:

here is a posting from Wine Spectator’s site on storing cigars in wine cellars. It’s from the Dr. Vinny section, which is a Q&A feature on the web.

April 27, 2007:

Dear Dr. Vinny,

I would like to start storing and presenting cigars openly in my wine cellar. Will it hurt my wine to store the cigars in the cellar side by side?

—Chris

Dear Chris,

It won’t hurt your wine, but it might hurt your cigars. I checked with Gordon Mott, executive editor of Cigar Aficionado, and he says that the ideal condition for cigar storage is a 70 degree temperature at 70 percent humidity, which roughly matches the growing conditions of the tobacco.

However, the ideal storage for wine is 55 degrees at about 70 percent humidity. This means that wine cellar temperature is generally too cool to store cigars. Why would that matter? Well, for one, humidity is also relative to temperature. I know it sounds like magic (it’s science!) but for every drop in temperature degree below the ideal for cigars 70 degree temperature, you need to increase the humidity to keep cigars properly humidified. If the air is too cold, it won’t be able to hold enough moisture in suspension. So at 55 degrees, you’d need about 80 percent humidity. Over the long term, your cigars are likely to dry out in your wine cellar.

The good news is that cellars aren’t awful for short-term cigar storage, and that cool temperature will prevent the hatching of any dreaded tobacco beetles (ew!).

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 12
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/20/2012 10:44:54 PM   
jrockman

quote:

JRock - I was pleasantly surprised about how full the flavor was. I have two left and will enjoy those soon. We'll have to get together on our next trip to Seattle and share a smoke. Cheers, Ed

Do you come out to Seattle often, Ed? I'd be happy to share a smoke and a bottle

Post #: 13
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/25/2012 12:30:20 AM   
floydtp

Partagas Lusitania tonight. A bit of a celebratory smoke after finiishing a homebrew boil.

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 14
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2012 8:10:32 AM   
fasteddie35

Last night, after an amazing Anita Baker Concert at Ravinia, a La Gloria Cubana Maduro Series R Robusto, with a splash of Hennessy. Big smoke ! Perfect finish to a wonderful evening. Ed

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 15
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2012 8:24:46 AM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydtp

Partagas Lusitania tonight. A bit of a celebratory smoke after finiishing a homebrew boil.

+1

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 16
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2012 8:25:07 AM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

Last night, after an amazing Anita Baker Concert at Ravinia, a La Gloria Cubana Maduro Series R Robusto, with a splash of Hennessy. Big smoke ! Perfect finish to a wonderful evening. Ed

Classy, love it!

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

Post #: 17
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2012 9:38:15 AM   
wineismylife

I haven't smoked a cigar since our CT TX gathering in Austin in May. I was having some test done afterward (precautionary cardio work up) and just got out of the habit of smoking for some reason. Today might be the day I finally dip my toe back into the water.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 18
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2012 10:21:16 AM   
champagneinhand

Any of you folks fancy Arturo Fuentes? I had a few good cigars from them back in the day. I always enjoyed a glass of Gran Marinier with a cigar.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 19
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2012 10:33:48 AM   
drycab

A bunch of different Ashtons last weekend. Good smokes!

"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" Edward VII

I wish I had some of that.......
I did....I drank it.......

Post #: 20
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2012 7:46:56 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: drycab

A bunch of different Ashtons last weekend. Good smokes!

We might have to burn a couple cigars with OD and the lot, late night next month.

(in reply to drycab)
Post #: 21
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/27/2012 3:52:16 AM   
wadcorp

Yesterday, a CAO l'anniversaire box-press robusto.

Stellar!

Post #: 22
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/27/2012 12:51:59 PM   
jhannah27

quote:

I assume this thread has been done before but either way, let's start again. Especially since almost all of the CT forum users I know personally also are cigar collectors.

In case you were curious, HERE is one of the longer running threads re: cigars. Lots of good info, at least for someone who is a complete novice like myself.

Thanks for starting the conversation again!

-- Jeremy

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 23
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/27/2012 2:20:26 PM   
GalvezGuy

I like them, especially with spirits, Gran Mariner would definitely work, so would a neat glass of Macallan's.

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

Any of you folks fancy Arturo Fuentes? I had a few good cigars from them back in the day. I always enjoyed a glass of Gran Marinier with a cigar.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

Post #: 24
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/27/2012 2:26:07 PM   
oskiwawa

Apr 2010 Saint Louis Rey Regios on Sunday while doing the CT Fantasy draft. Very nice.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 25
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/27/2012 3:05:46 PM   
GalvezGuy

I have only had one myself. Time to do something about that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

I haven't smoked a cigar since our CT TX gathering in Austin in May. I was having some test done afterward (precautionary cardio work up) and just got out of the habit of smoking for some reason. Today might be the day I finally dip my toe back into the water.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 26
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/27/2012 3:49:50 PM   
floydtp

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

Apr 2010 Saint Louis Rey Regios on Sunday while doing the CT Fantasy draft. Very nice.

Your draft over there in the Rouge League must have been slower than ours. I could barely keep up with the picks and figure out my strategy much less enjoy a cigar at the same time!! We had at least one team on autodraft and we probably averaged only 2-3 minutes per round.

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 27
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/27/2012 5:09:51 PM   
oskiwawa

you obviously have not looked at the team I drafted

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

Your draft over there in the Rouge League must have been slower than ours. I could barely keep up with the picks and figure out my strategy much less enjoy a cigar at the same time!! We had at least one team on autodraft and we probably averaged only 2-3 minutes per round.

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 28
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 12/27/2012 9:45:18 PM   
floydtp

I thought I would bring this thread 4 months into the present. Tonight I am having a LP9 Toro, which is a fantastic smoke and earlier in the week I had a Tatuaje Cojonu 2003. Anyone else have smoke anything interesting during the Holidays?

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 29
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 12/27/2012 10:32:29 PM   
noppakit s.

I'm collecting Havana from 2001, I love Partagas but my heart belongs to Trinidad.

Here are the half of my Havana collection since 2001 – Now

I still have Cohiba Siglo II and Bolivar Robusto from 2001, very smooth indeed. I have to finished them soon, I think it's fully matured and ready to decline.

< Message edited by noppakit s. -- 12/27/2012 10:34:14 PM >

drink less drink the best

(in reply to floydtp)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> What cigar are you smoking? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI