CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What cigar are you smoking?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What cigar are you smoking? Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 7/27/2017 8:52:53 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand
Is nobody smoking because it's too hot or humid?

Hot and humid weather is the only appropriate weather for cigars. Otherwise they are too harsh. And as a plus, they discourage the predatory adventures of mosquitoes, which distract our attention in summer.

I like a good yard cigar, which keeps me focused and the bugs away, but if the humidity gets above 80% the busting wrappers is irritating.

Glad you are enjoying your Summer. We have had a cool, wet spell. Time to respray the grapes tomorrow and manage the yard again. Grass here is growing like it's May. We did have a few days with highs in the mid 60s. I can't remember that in a long while in the end of July.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 721
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 7/28/2017 2:41:30 AM   
Ricardo

I was given a a scratch card for my birthday which came up....bought 3 small cohibas with the winnings, short and stubby, about a 30-40 minute smoke, great with a good glass of calvados and a game of back-gammon..

Ideal for the terrace of our home in Northern France where the weather is very changeable, and can be windy (hate smoking cigars in the wind!)

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 722
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 7/29/2017 4:18:50 PM   
Eddie

I very seldom smoke a cigar, but our weather today is exceptionally nice (not humid, actually), so I smoked a Romeo y Julieta Habana Corona. It was very mild and pleasant.

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 723
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 7/29/2017 9:18:44 PM   
champagneinhand

It's was very nice here as well and not humid. I really enjoyed an Illusione mj12. A very long lasting cigar that had about 2 years of age on it.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 724
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/3/2017 8:08:03 PM   
champagneinhand

A San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe. The short of this marque. Watching helplessly as my vines and house went through 3 ten minute blast of hail that was about a dime in diameter.

Not all is lost, but not good either.

The smoke was good though. I've been sitting on these about a year. Different from the Partagas Short, but tasty nonetheless.

Post #: 725
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/4/2017 2:29:27 PM   
Wine_Strategies

today was an Antico Toscana from Italia. Yesterday, a very nice Alec Bradley Post Embargo (only one left, dam!n)

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

Post #: 726
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/24/2017 4:42:49 PM   
Wine_Strategies

a couple of full boxes of Undercrown Shade (Connecticut) showed up today, an proper inspection was in order

Thank you Famous Smoke :D

Tim

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 727
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/25/2017 1:21:14 PM   
Old Doug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

a couple of full boxes of Undercrown Shade (Connecticut) showed up today, an proper inspection was in order

Undercrown Shade

I friggin' love that name.

Post #: 728
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2017 8:41:49 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

Thank you Famous Smoke :D

These are good but need rest. I've been really enjoying H.Upmann Half Coronas. It will be my Winter cigar but though only 3.5" with 44rg they are really pleasant smokes that last 25-30 minutes.

I still have a 2 year old box of Undercrown Gran Toro with just a few sticks smoked. I like them, but after visiting Nica twice this year, I'm not so much a fan of Drew Estates, when there are so many others that just don't have the marketing budgets and rely on word of mouth.

Post #: 729
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/26/2017 3:48:30 PM   
jrockman

At the weekend getaway with a Perdomo Habano, it's all good up here, only drawback is there is a burn ban in place due to the dry summer, so no campfire this weekend.

Post #: 730
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/28/2017 10:40:09 AM   
charleshoward

Thanks to the relaxed laws, I am finally able to enjoy some Cuban cigars. One I've enjoyed lately is the H. Upmann Media Coronas. Nice short smoke, good flavors.

I'm a late-night smoke fan, 10:00PM - 1:00AM. Problem is that there are too many curious critters. I got the neighbor's cat hissing at me and raccoons that just go about their business with me right there. The other day, I popped in to refill my water and when I came back two minutes later there were FIVE raccoons roaming around!

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 731
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/28/2017 11:58:59 AM   
LOuich

Man it's been a while but!

La Gloria Cubana no2 is always a winner in my book!

(in reply to charleshoward)
Post #: 732
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/28/2017 8:00:44 PM   
champagneinhand

Smoking up the remaining sticks from a box of SCdLH El Principe. A nice Short that does well with short term rest. I received 2 boxes of HUHC today with Feb 17 box dates. My first CCs with a 17 OC code. These smoke nicely young, but this is very young. I had to make room for them as they will benefit from some time amongst the other boxes.

(in reply to LOuich)
Post #: 733
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 8/29/2017 5:46:01 AM   
LOuich

Yes they will, the HUHC are usually on the top spot after 5 years.

Burned a )4 Monte 1 last night. Age works wonder on those!

Post #: 734
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 9/25/2017 6:07:19 PM   
fasteddie35

Saturday night with a few friends, I found some La Gloria Cubano Maduro Torpedo # 1's from probably 2000, in my humidor. My Dad lives in Florida. He used to go down to the factory on Calle Ocho and buy me a bundle of smokes 2-3 times a year. These were my favorites. I don't find the current version quite as tasty as these original ones. A big smoke...

(in reply to LOuich)
Post #: 735
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 9/25/2017 8:40:53 PM   
champagneinhand

More HUHC and Montecristo Media Corona. With unusually high temperatures to go with high humidity, neither of these disappoints.

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 736
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 9/27/2017 8:12:05 AM   
champagneinhand

I mistakenly grabbed a young Upmann Connie A, this morning thinking it was an aged Mag 50. What a waste. The young Connie A had zero personality and if I could redo that purchase I would gladly buy 3 boxes of the HUHC and be much more happy.

Luckily I have 4 boxes of the half coronas resting downstairs. This lesson has taught me to grab my reading glasses before foraging through boxes of Cubans resting, under the billiards table. Grhh! Lesson learned the hard way.

Post #: 737
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 12/17/2017 7:13:26 PM   
WineGuyCO

Padron Anniversary 1964 #4 6.5 x 60 maduro with some Henessey VSOP Cognac. Life is GREAT !!!

Rick

Post #: 738
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 12/17/2017 10:06:18 PM   
Wine_Strategies

Romeo y Julieta limitada 2007 after a nice dinner filled with black truffles and Cru Barolo

Tim

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 739
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 12/17/2017 10:07:29 PM   
Wine_Strategies

quote:

I mistakenly grabbed a young Upmann Connie A, this morning thinking it was an aged Mag 50. What a waste. The young Connie A had zero personality and if I could redo that purchase I would gladly buy 3 boxes of the HUHC and be much more happy.

Luckily I have 4 boxes of the half coronas resting downstairs. This lesson has taught me to grab my reading glasses before foraging through boxes of Cubans resting, under the billiards table. Grhh! Lesson learned the hard way.

doh!

Tim

Post #: 740
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 12/18/2017 12:27:08 PM   
bretrooks

I just smoked my first cigar at a '20s themed party on Saturday, at the tender age of 40. It was a Camacho Connecticut Robusto, accompanied by some Four Roses (and later, a little Bulleit Rye).

I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I didn't enjoy dealing with the lingering odor in my clothes afterwards. That's one of the main reasons I haven't smoked my pipe in a very long time, the other being that my friends who smoked pipes have almost all moved away over the years, and it's just never been something I'm drawn to doing on my own.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

Post #: 741
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 12/24/2017 8:48:29 PM   
champagneinhand

This is why you have a dedicated smoking jacket. Though it doesn’t necessarily have to be something you would have seen High Hefner wearing years ago.

I cut back big time in Winter and have basically stuck with short RoMa Craft, Illusione, Mombacho Liga Maestro (A hard to find Nica puro, that I discovered on my trip through the country. Rolled in Granada,) and Upmann half coronas.

I have been smoking pipes during the Winters, as good cigars will bleed you dry as fast as good wind.

Though I’m doing a fair amount of blending from home and passing the results among my pipe and cigar buddies.

What kind of pipes did you smoke B-?

I love my Peterson’s spigots and Army, but I have a few Savinelli and a few others that I rotate. The Peterson’s P-Lip was the greatest invention if you enjoy a good aromatic, which oppositebof cigars, aromatics aren’t horrid things. I just have a couple blends that aromatic.

Drinking a Zind-Humbrecht SGN stickie with a half Corona was so nice today. But now we are heading to single digits. Not ideal for anything outside. I do have a cigar/pipe lounge just about 1.5 miles away near the village center. Perhaps if this polar vortex stays too long, I will have more posts to add to this thread.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 742
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 12/25/2017 7:23:02 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

What kind of pipes did you smoke B-?

Nothing of any distinction. One simple entry-level pipe, mostly with an unflavored blend from a local tobacco shop...a mild cavendish, I think. It's been several years since I even pulled it out of its box at this point, though.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

Post #: 743
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 1/11/2018 7:47:39 PM   
Wine_Strategies

Today, thanks to one of our veteran members, I enjoyed two cigars I've not had before. Both completely swept me off my feet, both transported me.

The first, a Cuban HUHC, just, wow. I mean, wow. Half a cigar that took nearly an hour to smoke. So effn good. Talk about full-bodied.

The second, some hours later, was an Aquitaine, something I've not even seen before. As with the first, I did not want it to end (but this profile was very much different from the first).

Dave, thank you so much, you made my day(s). Cheers, brother!

Tim

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 744
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 6/23/2018 9:06:02 AM   
fasteddie35

Last night after a nice steak dinner and a 2000 Lacoste Borie, a nicely aged Pier 28 Corona Gorda. Picked this one up at a cigar event last fall with JRock. Excellent draw. Tea and leather flavors throughout the smoke. And the cigar burned perfectly, never went out. Good job.

Post #: 745
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 6/23/2018 10:45:54 AM   
Wineguy55

Helped a friend sell a few hundred bottles of wine to someone itb, and to celebrate we smoked some Nicaraguan Cigars and enjoyed quite a bit. I will report back name later when I talk to him Can't describe the flavors but it was medium strength pretty complex and super smooth. Also drank a 2001 Raymond Generations Cab with the stogie a producer I had limited experience with. Also very good and fully mature. Setting was outside on the patio. Life is good.

< Message edited by Wineguy55 -- 6/23/2018 12:43:11 PM >

(in reply to fasteddie35)
Post #: 746
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 6/24/2018 9:58:20 AM   
champagneinhand

I have really been enjoying H.Upmann half Coronas as well as the similar sized Montecristo media corona. The Montes last even longer than the HUHCs but the Upmann are so affordable and I have yet to have a bad one. It amazing that sticks 4.5” and shorter can be so enjoyable. RoMa craft rarely disappoint. The Aquitaine and the Intemperance lines are stellar. Can’t go wrong on the little Illusione Epernay Le Petite either. They do need aging though.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 747
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 6/24/2018 1:31:29 PM   
Wine_Strategies

Good stuff, Dave.

A thunderstorm is moving in, has dropped the temp from 69F to 59F - I'll take it. Perfect time for H. Upman Havana Magnum 54 on the covered porch. Mid and upper 90s by the end of the week, so celebrating this small victory now.

Tim

Post #: 748
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 6/24/2018 5:07:36 PM   
Wineguy55

My friend told me the Nicaraguan cigars were Omar Ortez Maduros. Wasn't familiar at all with them. Looked up inline and I can get a box of 20 for 58.95. Thought they were very good for an inexpensive cigar.

Post #: 749
RE: What cigar are you smoking? - 6/24/2018 6:46:24 PM   
WineKnurd

I know this is about cigars, but I just smoked a pipe with a tobacco called "Red Virginia" with a few glasses of Macon. Perfect way to beat the heat and relax before bed down here in the south.

We are all mortal until the first kiss and the second glass of wine. -Eduardo Galeano

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What cigar are you smoking? Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI