CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Tasting Notes To Note

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Tasting Notes To Note Page: <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 11/30/2017 9:39:30 AM   
Eddie

There has been a trend in recent years of prominent athletes (Yao Ming, Wayne Gretzky, etc) releasing their own private-label wines, usually made under contract by an existing winery. Today, I find that former U.K. and Charlotte Hornets basketball star Tony Delk is releasing his private label wines ("Lorenz00's Choice" Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon). The descriptions in the publicity are a bit vague, but they appear to be NV wines made by the Wildside Winery in Woodford County, KY. I've met most of the winemakers within an hour of my house, but this winery didn't ring a bell (all the more surprising because a couple of my dear wino friends live just down the road from it), so I took the liberty of searching for tasting notes for other offerings from that establishment. I reproduce them here, for your perusal:

NV Wildside Winery Chambourcin Dangerous
XXXXXXXXX Does not like this wine: NR
Way too sweet for us.

NV Wildside Winery PawPaw
XXXXXXX Likes this wine: 85 points
Fruit salad in a glass. Quite literally, this wine smells and tastes like a fruit salad. One glass was plenty, but so intriguing it was definitely worth the purchase price.

NV Wildside Winery B.B.R
XXXXXXXX Likes this wine: NR
This wine is a cabernet that is aged in Woodford Reserve bourbon barrels. It adds a unique finish, but I wouldn't suggest it for the cabernet naturalist. However, if you enjoy cab and bourbon, this one could be for you.

2008 Wildside Winery Chambourcin
XXXXXXXXXX wrote: NR
Drink same day. Oxides quickly.

Good luck, Tony......

(in reply to dbg)
Post #: 3301
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 11/30/2017 10:48:10 AM   
CranBurgundy

"Fruit salad in a glass". I like that idea.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3302
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 11/30/2017 12:58:33 PM   
Eddie

From one of the friends who lives near the winery, in an e-mail exchange this afternoon, concerning that winery's products: "Ohhhweeeee, they are revolting".....

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3303
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 11/30/2017 1:45:43 PM   
oskiwawa

reminds me of the lowest scored tasting note I have written :

NV Barefoot Cellars Moscato Mendoza

5/28/2012 - I wrote: 72 points (Edit)
Popped and poured a gift bottle. Color is very light. Almost no body. Nose of Pineapple and lemon.
A demi-sec level of sweetness. Palate of diluted fruit cocktail juice mixed 1:3 with Fresca.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3304
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 11/30/2017 2:32:20 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Reminds me of trips to Gatlinburg, TN, or most other wineries in the mid south that I have visited.

Also my own family weddings where they've served wine I've made from Washington grapes, and been asked if I had anything sweeter. I tell my cousins to add Mountain Dew.

I will say, I think Chambourcin is a very nice red wine when in the right hands. But oh it seems it is rarely so.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 11/30/2017 2:34:07 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 3305
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 11/30/2017 4:31:42 PM   
recotte

quote:

11/28/2017 - XXXXXXXXXXX LIKES THIS WINE: 91 points
Kelly birthday party with Cath

Would the score have gone up or down if it was "Cath birthday party with Kelly"?

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 3306
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 11/30/2017 5:04:39 PM   
Eddie

Recotte--something to add to your tagline:

"If two people agree on everything, one of them is unnecessary." -- Oscar Wilde

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 3307
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/1/2017 6:32:58 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

I like it. Done.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3308
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/1/2017 9:29:18 AM   
CranBurgundy

If two people agree on everything, one is the boss and the other is bucking for promotion or a nice Christmas bonus.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 3309
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/1/2017 5:16:07 PM   
Smaragd

Had a Crozes-Hermitage tonight described (and verified) as having notes of "Dried Olive".

It's a fascinating concept -- who among you has eaten dried olives?

Post #: 3310
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/4/2017 4:12:51 AM   
SteveG

This, in a note for an Austrian Riesling, seems like it would almost never be appropriate:

"...Drink at seller temperature on a hot day."

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 3311
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/4/2017 11:10:37 AM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveG

This, in a note for an Austrian Riesling, seems like it would almost never be appropriate:

Well maybe when it was sold it was the previous owner had it already at the right temp?

-Mark

(in reply to SteveG)
Post #: 3312
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/4/2017 1:11:00 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveG

Let's hope the seller didn't go outside for long that day. 98.6˚ is already too high!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to SteveG)
Post #: 3313
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/4/2017 4:22:53 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

I like it. Done.

"The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived."
–– Oscar Wilde, writer (1854-1900)

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 3314
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/4/2017 4:26:26 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

I like it. Done.

"The secret of life is to appreciate the pleasure of being terribly, terribly deceived."

Are you trying to see just how large a CT Forum signature can be???

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 3315
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/5/2017 7:24:17 AM   
racerchris

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Witty, Wilde.
Very witty.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 3316
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/5/2017 8:06:29 AM   
alexsouthwell102

Hello Eddie,

Lorenz00's Reserve was indeed produced by Wildside Winery in Versailles, KY. Wildside has been around since 2004 and currently makes 32 different wines, specializing in dry red wines. My personal favorite is the estate grown 2013 Cabernet Franc.

Lorenz00's Cabernet Sauvignon is aged in a used Blanton's bourbon barrel for a year with an ABV of 15%. This is a very Fruit forward cab, with notes of current, black cherry, vanilla, tobacco, and heavy oak. Medium plus body, but a good heat from the bourbon makes it a long lasting flavor.

The Chardonnay is stainless steel aged. A very light, crisp Chardonnay with hints of peach and melon. Sweet on the nose, but bone dry on the pallet.

Alex Southwell
Southwell Distribution

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3317
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/8/2017 3:56:17 PM   
dontime

A picture is worth a ....

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to alexsouthwell102)
Post #: 3318
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/9/2017 3:25:08 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: dontime

A picture is worth a ....

This dude needs an even bigger "Fudge Factor (FF) " than James Laube. Laube gets -2 to -5 FF but this dude gets -8 to -10

Rick

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 3319
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/13/2017 3:44:33 AM   
Eddie

2010 Gianni Masciarelli Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Marina Cvetić

XXXXXXXXXXXXX wrote:

Fantastic. Like a really rich Zinfandel or Chateauneuf or even Port. The alcohol is well integrated even though it is substantial. Capable of holding its own against any meal you could dream up. If I was forced to eat human carpaccio, I’d want this wine to wash it down.

No that is news you can use.

By the way, folks, this is one of those rare wines that lives up to (or even exceeds) the hype of its professional reviews. I've been through a number of bottles of it (sans human carpaccio) and have been very pleased.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 3320
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/13/2017 4:52:07 AM   
Franklin 10

2011 Occidental Pinot Noir Cuvée Catherine Occidental Station

2/12/2017 - Xxxxxxx WROTE: 93 Points
Showed very well — classic burg nose. Soft and delicate in Old world style. Delightful.
Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comment
Options

12/10/2017 - Yyyyyy WROTE: 90 Points
a bit too massive for me. Well made but just very very New World in style. dark, viscous and big for a pinot. good for that style but wasnt necessarily in the mood for that when we had it.

I often see similar contradicting opinions on the “Burgundian” (or not) nature of Pinot Noir produced in the US. These back-to-back TNs are only one example. I’m just getting started learning Burgundy so holding off on my own proclamations.

the Empirate

"Jim Harrison, northern Michigan's favorite son and food lover, once told me, 'One of the main causes of premature death is fretting about your diet.' He then topped up my glass of wine."
-abra berens

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3321
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/13/2017 5:11:57 AM   
EugeneDiNapoli

I'm working my way through a bunch of the Masciarelli I picked up from WTSO a couple of years ago and couldn't agree more that this wine is real well done (especially at this price point). Also, its evolving with age. I have a couple of bottles of their 2010 Villa Gemma, that I am looking forward to trying.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3322
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/13/2017 6:40:03 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Franklin 10

2011 Occidental Pinot Noir Cuvée Catherine Occidental Station

2/12/2017 - Xxxxxxx WROTE: 93 Points
Showed very well — classic burg nose. Soft and delicate in Old world style. Delightful.
Options

12/10/2017 - Yyyyyy WROTE: 90 Points
a bit too massive for me. Well made but just very very New World in style. dark, viscous and big for a pinot. good for that style but wasnt necessarily in the mood for that when we had it.

I often see similar contradicting opinions on the “Burgundian” (or not) nature of Pinot Noir produced in the US. These back-to-back TNs are only one example. I’m just getting started learning Burgundy so holding off on my own proclamations.

I rarely check out TNs on US wines, because I rather rarely drink them myself, so I really can't comment much on this phenomenon, but on a tangential point, I see quite often people (most likely from the States) writing TNs on wines contradicting both my and public opinion 100%. It's not rare to see people writing how a wine from an ultra-traditionalist producer being a "rather modern effort made in very new world style" or a very polished modernist wine being a "classic example of the old-school style of the region".

I imagine most TNs like these are written by people who really have no knowledge or in-depth experience of the regional styles; if, say, a Barolo tastes more "European" than your run-of-the-mill Napa Cab, that doesn't make it old-school yet.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to Franklin 10)
Post #: 3323
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/13/2017 7:02:51 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry

I rarely check out TNs on US wines, because I rather rarely drink them myself, so I really can't comment much on this phenomenon, but on a tangential point, I see quite often people (most likely from the States) writing TNs on wines contradicting both my and public opinion 100%. It's not rare to see people writing how a wine from an ultra-traditionalist producer being a "rather modern effort made in very new world style" or a very polished modernist wine being a "classic example of the old-school style of the region".

I imagine most TNs like these are written by people who really have no knowledge or in-depth experience of the regional styles; if, say, a Barolo tastes more "European" than your run-of-the-mill Napa Cab, that doesn't make it old-school yet.

Decantation time should be taken into account too. A wine often contradicts its own first impressions after 6 or 8 hours of aeration.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 3324
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/13/2017 9:00:45 AM   
forceberry

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry

Decantation time should be taken into account too. A wine often contradicts its own first impressions after 6 or 8 hours of aeration.

Of course, but this time I meant stylistic differences. If a Barolo or Barbaresco is made from grapes harvested very late, macerated for a very short time and aged in 100% new barriques, you really can't call it traditional or old-school, no matter how long or short time it had been breathing beforehand.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3325
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/22/2017 9:26:40 AM   
thesternowl

2014 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée Red Rhone Blend
12/19/2017 - XXXXXX WROTE: NR
Wrong vintage

Love these notes.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 3326
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/22/2017 9:30:32 AM   
mclancy10006

quote:

1989 Penfolds Grange
12/22/2017 - XXXXX Wrote:
95 points

Found in cellar. V surprised. In great condition. Didn’t decant which was a mistake as it just kept opening ....layering with different nuances as time went on. Oak there but nicely integrated with fruit cake of flavours. Super long length. Not my style of wine but impressive as I wasn’t expecting much given the year

Now that is a stellar cellar find!

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 3327
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/26/2017 6:56:22 AM   
mc2 wines

quote:

1999 Chateau Margaux
12/24/2017 - xxxx WROTE: NR
Wow! Just received a bottle (empty) for Christmas! Heard that the wine was excellent!

Who gives someone an empty bottle? That just seems a bit mean.

(and I would like to find an '89 Grange just lying around the cellar - that would be a great Christmas present!)

Friends don't let friends wine alone

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 3328
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/26/2017 11:56:09 AM   
CranBurgundy

Back to back notes:

12/15/2017 - XXXXX WROTE: 93 Points
Still tight after a long decant. But the fruit is beginning to emerge. Deep fruit, excellent balance, this should be really nice when it emerges. Needs about two years.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

11/11/2017 - XXXXX LIKES THIS WINE: 85 Points
Past prime...interesting but a shadow of former self.

Interesting that the taster who noted it was a shadow of it's former self still Liked it.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to mc2 wines)
Post #: 3329
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/27/2017 8:54:28 AM   
adrian wood

2015 Spier Merlot Anno 1692

XXXXX LIKES THIS WINE: 52 Points

They don't seem to be giving themselves much room to differentiate between wines they like and those they don't as the the lowest they can give is 50, or perhaps they have a penchant for wines that are to be avoided, which is quite niche. Another example where the absence of a note renders the post rather meaningless for the rest of the community. Love this thread, and many thanks to you and all the contributors for providing more than a few chuckles.

Ade

The shortest way to Paradise is the stairway to the cellar.
Attr. Jacques Chevignard.

Post #: 3330
Page:   <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Tasting Notes To Note Page: <<   < prev  109 110 [111] 112 113   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI