CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Tasting Notes To Note

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Tasting Notes To Note Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/27/2017 7:09:10 PM   
Chip Merlot

12/8/2014 - XXXXX LIKES THIS WINE 89 Points
No notes.

That was the guy's note--"no notes." Perhaps he's also the author behind "This page intentionally left blank."

(in reply to adrian wood)
Post #: 3331
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/28/2017 5:54:19 AM   
barolo300

2005 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904
27/12/2017 - 94 points
This was just perfect. I don't really know why I don't rate this higher other than for the fact that it has a reasonable price tag. Great wine from one of my favorite wineries.

I think this brings up an interesting point about price vs quality vs status.

Barolo and Burgs, Claret and Cali, Priorat and Prum... yum! https://hookandfordwines.com/

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 3332
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/28/2017 8:16:31 AM   
Eddie

I just bought 6 bottles of the 2016 Arianna Occhipinti Sicilia SP68 Bianco, and upon adding it to my inventory in CT I noticed two tasting notes that have been added since I placed my order for these. They are interesting, so I thought I'd post them here. One is by our own Forceberry.

Judging from the tasting notes, this wine wouldn't be everyones cup of tea; but I like drinking exotic, out-on-the-edge stuff. Keeps us out of a rut.

XXXXXXXXX wrote:

Zibibbo (Muscato di Alexandria) 60%, Albanello 40%. Average age of 15 years. Organic viticulture.
Winemaker: Arianna Occhipinti
SP68 is name of road running by the winery.

A(ccuracy)=2: Med lemon/gold. Idiosyncratic blend of native varietals.
B(alance)=2: Lots of distinctive elements, not necessarily in harmony.
C(omplexity)=2: Fermented bamboo shoot (instantly recognizable by those familiar with Chao Zhou cuisine), muscato, herbs, bretty leather, mineral, earth.
D(epth)=1: Average length and finish.

Wine Tally Score [2,2,2,1] = 7/10

By devoted Sicilian pioneer of "natural" and "terroir" wine making with cult following.

Forceberry wrote: 89 Points

A blend of organic Zibibbo aka. Muscat of Alexandria (60%) and Albanello (40%). Fermented spontaneously, macerated for 15 days on the grape skins. Aged in concrete for 6 months, bottled unfiltered. 12% alcohol.

Medium deep golden yellow color with a pale bronze hue. Quite reductive nose with somewhat flatulent aromas of hard-boiled eggs; fortunately the nose clears with vigorous aeration, revealing aromas of somewhat green thiol aromas, perfumed floral notes, some caramel, a little bit of dusty and sandy aromas of earth, a hint of slightly grapey or raisiny fruit and a touch of orange zest. The wine is medium-bodied, dry and slightly bretty on the palate with complex flavors of chalky minerality, exotic spices, some ripe citrus fruit, a little bit of perfumed floral character and a hint of bretty leather and barnyard. The wine feels medium-to-moderate in acidity - enough to keep the wine somewhat balanced, but not really enough to make it com across as fresh and vibrant. The finish is dry and bitter with complex and persistent flavors of chalky bitterness, exotic spices, fragrant floral nuances, some lemon marmalade, a little bit of tannic grip, a hint of baked clay and a touch of bretty leather and smoky phenolics.

A nice and lovely little orange wine that was a bit off-putting at first, but came together very nicely with some air - decanting is obviously very recommended. There's a lot of nice complexity here and I really love how easy-drinking this wine is at only 12% ABV, but in my opinion it really needs some more freshness from higher acidity: now the wine feels a bit too round, mellow and lacking energy. There's a lot of good stuff here, but it could be a bit better. Overall a quite nice effort and definitely worth checking out.

I find that Occhipinti's wines need some time in bottle to express themselves, and even then tend to require long decants. I might open one bottle of this per year, to see how it matures.

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 3333
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 12/28/2017 9:37:22 AM   
ericindc

quote:

ORIGINAL: barolo300

2005 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904
27/12/2017 - 94 points
This was just perfect. I don't really know why I don't rate this higher other than for the fact that it has a reasonable price tag. Great wine from one of my favorite wineries.

I think this brings up an interesting point about price vs quality vs status.

mmm, i think the 94 was about right. I'm not a huge fan of La Rioja Alta, but alot of people like it.

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 3334
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/8/2018 7:41:07 PM   
fingers

2003 Château Pontet-Canet
1/8/2018 - ****** LIKES THIS WINE:
Nice but a bit disappointing - one hour of decanting may not have been enough judging by the bright red ruby colour

Don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed by a wine not changing color via decanting

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 3335
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 10:21:32 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

Nice but a bit disappointing - one hour of decanting may not have been enough judging by the bright red ruby colour

Don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed by a wine not changing color via decanting

Wow...just...wow.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 3336
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 10:26:14 AM   
lockestep

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

I think I get where he was going here. The wine may have been closed/simple and did not open up after an hour. The youthfulness of the color is added as evidence that more decanting may have changed the outcome.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 3337
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 10:27:58 AM   
racerchris

I interpret that note a little differently.
I don't think he was expecting a color change from decanting,
but seeing that the color was quite primary on opening, with no evidence of bricking or other color change, he should have realized the wine needed a longer decant.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 3338
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 1:28:31 PM   
thesternowl

I can, in a way, follow such an interpretation but suggesting that the color of the wine is an indication of whether the wine needs more time in the decanter is a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 3339
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 2:15:30 PM   
racerchris

Yes.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

Post #: 3340
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 2:43:39 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

I interpret that note a little differently.
I don't think he was expecting a color change from decanting,
but seeing that the color was quite primary on opening, with no evidence of bricking or other color change…

Especially since he obviously thought he was opening a white.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 3341
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 3:55:04 PM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

I can, in a way, follow such an interpretation but suggesting that the color of the wine is an indication of whether the wine needs more time in the decanter is a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

Oh, how true this is. Pursuing Lopez de Heredia, and well-made Chinon, an aficionado realizes just how little may be portended by color. And....Priorat.....!

Post #: 3342
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 4:18:42 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

Oh, how true this is. Pursuing Lopez de Heredia, and well-made Chinon, an aficionado realizes just how little may be portended by color. And....Priorat.....!

Not to mention Barolo.......

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3343
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/9/2018 4:48:53 PM   
thesternowl

Or Brunello for that matter.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 3344
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/15/2018 2:43:34 PM   
nyccablover

I just burst out laughing after reading this tasting story - "Crap Wine Taste Off"

A selection from some of the notes:

"Fruity and goofy, but holds enough interest to get you to gulp down a sip or two without throwing up in your mouth. Drink with something spicy so you don't have to taste the actual flavors on this wine. A good gift for a friend that isn’t your friend." - 79 points

"Absolute garbage. Twizzlers dipped in apple vinegar. Kill yourself." - 50 points

Very funny and obviously going for the laugh - nice work!! Unless of course you have these wines in your cellar:-)

Post #: 3345
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/15/2018 6:57:22 PM   
Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: nyccablover

I just burst out laughing after reading this tasting story - "Crap Wine Taste Off"

"Fruity and goofy, but holds enough interest to get you to gulp down a sip or two without throwing up in your mouth. Drink with something spicy so you don't have to taste the actual flavors on this wine. A good gift for a friend that isn’t your friend." - 79 points

"Absolute garbage. Twizzlers dipped in apple vinegar. Kill yourself." - 50 points

Very funny and obviously going for the laugh - nice work!! Unless of course you have these wines in your cellar:-)

For a millisecond I thought, oh this is a great idea for our wine tasting group. Then I realized I might be drawn and quartered...... I realize that this is the perfect example of a situation where you want others to partake, and to just sit back and enjoy the reactions. Now a tasting of aged first growths........

(in reply to nyccablover)
Post #: 3346
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/15/2018 8:40:47 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

quote:

ORIGINAL: nyccablover

For a millisecond I thought, oh this is a great idea for our wine tasting group. Then I realized I might be drawn and quartered...... I realize that this is the perfect example of a situation where you want others to partake, and to just sit back and enjoy the reactions. Now a tasting of aged first growths........

"Absolute garbage. Twizzlers dipped in apple vinegar. Kill yourself." We like you, so would not want you to harbor such thoughts at such a tasting amongst our little group. We do need ideas though. :-)

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 3347
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/22/2018 5:03:12 AM   
lockestep

1986 Château Gruaud Larose
1/20/2018 - XXXXXX LIKES THIS WINE: 90 points
Opened and decanted 3 or 4 hours before. Quite a lot of lies. Was round, velvety, with silky but surprisingly present tannins still. Notes of leather, mushrooms, chocolate. A beautiful wine. Enjoyed with lamb.

Lies?

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 3348
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/22/2018 6:46:07 AM   
dontime

Maybe a typo for "legs"?

dontime

“Dove regna il vino
non regna il silenzio"

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 3349
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/22/2018 7:09:06 AM   
Eddie

2015 Silkman Wines Sémillon

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX wrote:

92 points
Approachable, nice minerality, easy to drink, but far from transcendent; indeed rather pedestrian if anything.

Gee, how would he score a transcendent wine?

(in reply to dontime)
Post #: 3350
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/22/2018 7:15:19 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Obviously 110. 110 is the number everyone ALWAYS uses to describe the maximum. Geez, don't you know anything?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 3351
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/22/2018 7:43:29 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

Obviously 110. 110 is the number everyone ALWAYS uses to describe the maximum. Geez, don't you know anything?

Evidently not.

I drank a Musar one time that I felt like awarding a 110. I scored it a 94, though, so I wouldn't look silly.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3352
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/22/2018 11:24:20 AM   
PinotPhile

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

Opened and decanted 3 or 4 hours before. Quite a lot of lies. Was round, velvety, with silky but surprisingly present tannins still. Notes of leather, mushrooms, chocolate. A beautiful wine. Enjoyed with lamb.

Lies?

DonTime, my first thought was a typo for "lees". But isn't leaving wine on the lees more typical for whites? Not sure, but thought that might apply to Loire whites. Battonage? Or random brain thoughts from a class taken too long ago?

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 3353
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/22/2018 7:32:07 PM   
Fire Bill

2012 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red
Tasted by ********* on 1/19/2018: A

Sounds amazing! Tell me more...

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 3354
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/22/2018 7:56:25 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fire Bill

2012 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red
Tasted by ********* on 1/19/2018: A

Sounds amazing! Tell me more...

A+

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Fire Bill)
Post #: 3355
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/25/2018 9:38:14 AM   
thesternowl

2005 Dom Perignon Champagne
1/24/2018 - XXXXXXXXXX WROTE: 85 points
Jesus xxck.

Soooo...is that a good thing or a bad thing?

(in reply to Chip Merlot)
Post #: 3356
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/25/2018 9:44:09 AM   
lockestep

2014 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon
1/25/2018 - XXXXXXX WROTE: 86 points
Opaque - not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.

So, pretty dark then?

Post #: 3357
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/25/2018 11:13:37 AM   
klaus3974

quote:

2005 Dom Perignon Champagne
1/24/2018 - XXXXXXXXXX WROTE: 85 points
Jesus xxck.

Soooo...is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Jesus LUck has to be a good thing, right?

Post #: 3358
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/25/2018 12:07:35 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

PinotPhile

quote:

Lies?

DonTime, my first thought was a typo for "lees". But isn't leaving wine on the lees more typical for whites? Not sure, but thought that might apply to Loire whites. Battonage? Or random brain thoughts from a class taken too long ago?

More likely a beer-drinker talking about sediment (as in Mort Subite or the Trappiste beers)

(in reply to klaus3974)
Post #: 3359
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 1/25/2018 12:09:01 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

2014 Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon
1/25/2018 - XXXXXXX WROTE: 86 points
Opaque - not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not allowing light to pass through.

So, pretty dark then?

LMAO I much prefer wines that allow lots of light to come through That's just me though.......................

Rick

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 3360
Page:   <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Tasting Notes To Note Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI