CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Tasting Notes To Note

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Tasting Notes To Note Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/29/2008 12:24:45 PM   
Serge Birbrair

no, it didn't.
"Almost Thick" is from the same category as "almost pregnant", "almost bright", "almost brilliant",
which, come think of it, mean just the opposite.
Is "almost thick" means "thin"? What short hand are you talking about if you neeed TWO words where ONE would suffice?

"impenetrable by the eyes",
are we talking COLOR or Viscosity? How do you
1) measure viscosity, what units?
2) how do you measure it with your eyes?

ASs for "bouquet",
the confusing word is not power, the confusing word is "promise". The addition of this word makes note flowery and not very practical.

Let me use your note as the template and you tell me if you see what I see:

Deep purplish colour, almost 'thick', almost 'heavy', almost 'blue', almost 'intricate', almost 'green flower'.
Truly outstanding bouquet with a promise of fruit, oak,  eternal love, world peace, winning lottery ticket,  nirvana, and power.
Sadly the taste didn't live up to the priors: rather closed and less fruit than anticipated, less eternal love than anticipated, less  nirvana than anticipated.
Great mouthful though, with long, long finish; smooth, cedary even cedar was not the part of the bouquet or even promise of cedar in the bouquet, very satisfying, due to the promise of winning lottery ticket; drinking well now, but hope for better in the future when promise of eternal love comes together with the promise of the fruit.

I recomend this template to everybody,
don't forget to add some personal notes about having the wine in delivery room,
 or surprising your husband by taking it out of your purse in the restaurant.

tsk....

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 31
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/29/2008 12:39:39 PM   
Serge Birbrair

P.S. Wine CAN NOT score more than 100 points?????????????

I know two people who rate wines in scales exceeding 100.
One of them is Robert Parker

Jun 15, 2007 ... Robert M. Parker Jr. created the 100-point rating system. ..... awarded "100-plus" points to the 2003 Domaine du Pegau Cuvee da Capo ...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/15/WIGOOQ5IGD1.DTL

and the second is CraigNZ from http://www.kiwiwinefanclub.co.nz
who uses 109 points system

< Message edited by Serge Birbrair -- 6/29/2008 12:40:16 PM >

tsk....

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 32
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/29/2008 12:46:51 PM   
NiklasW

Hey Serge, take it easy! You might make some of us new to the game feel uneasy about writing TNs on CT. I could write something like "almost thick" (and probably have  ). Like you always say, it's not so serious, it's all about enjoyment, right?

Post #: 33
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/29/2008 12:56:30 PM   
Serge Birbrair

NiclasW,
1) I only make ALMOST some of you ALMOST uneasy
2) The note in question is ONLY between Colonel and me and he knows why. My reaction was ALMOST ANTICIPATED by Colonel.
3) My review doesn't have PROMISE of "Nemo me impune lacessit" (the Scots national motto), regardless if it was ANTICIPATED or only had a PROMISE of anticipation.
:)

tsk....

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 34
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/29/2008 1:14:22 PM   
Serge Birbrair

P.S.
Niklas, in all honesty, we are just making fun of each other TN's, other people TN's and there is no malice whatsoever,
scout's honor.

tsk....

Post #: 35
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/29/2008 6:24:18 PM   
Wrighty

Was thinking of chipping in but perhaps should just leave it to Serge and Colonel to slug it out.

However for my two penneth worth.
Thick, bright and brilliant can I believe be measured on a scale and therefore if each status is definable then surely one can have 'almost .....'. 
Is 'Impenetrable by the eyes' referring to opacity and not viscosity or colour?

Think I'll leave it there!

Wrighty

Post #: 36
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/29/2008 10:38:16 PM   
Colonel Lawrence

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

Hey Serge, take it easy! You might make some of us new to the game feel uneasy about writing TNs on CT. I could write something like "almost thick" (and probably have  ). Like you always say, it's not so serious, it's all about enjoyment, right?

You just have to be careful he doesn't persuade you white is black.
Can't remember the last time I was expected to swallow "almost thick" = thin.
There won't be any slugging it out - Serge can slug by himself, he does most of the time.
Cheers all,
Colonel, well almost, Lawrence

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 37
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 12:23:00 AM   
Paul S

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

Don't worry NiklasW, I use "thick" and "almost thick" quite liberally as well. Just have not been found out by Serge yet! I have even used it in reference to the nose of a wine, caught myself, wondered how on earth a series of smells can be thick, figured that that's how my olfactory bulb perceives things, and left it on anyway.

Don't worry, and happy posting!

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 38
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 12:23:46 AM   
Serge Birbrair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

You just have to be careful he doesn't persuade you white is black.
Can't remember the last time I was expected to swallow "almost thick" = thin.
There won't be any slugging it out - Serge can slug by himself, he does most of the time.
Cheers all,
Colonel, well almost, Lawrence

quote:

Great mouthful though, with long, long finish; smooth, cedary, very satisfying;

I like tasting notes which remind me of Ron Jeremy movies.

< Message edited by Serge Birbrair -- 6/30/2008 1:44:34 AM >

tsk....

Post #: 39
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 12:47:46 AM   
Serge Birbrair

2005 Heron Hill Vineyards Riesling Reserve (USA, New York, Finger Lakes)

Light straw colour, almost 'thin'. Truly outstanding bouquet with a promise of Riesling, steel vat and bone dry acidity.
Sadly the taste didn't live up to the priors: rather closed and less Riesling than anticipated.
Great mouthful though, with long,  finish; smooth, tart, very satisfying; drinking well now, but hope for better in the future.

1982 Azienda Bricco Asili (Ceretto) Barbaresco Bricco Asili (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco) 

Deep purplish colour, almost 'thick'. Truly outstanding bouquet with a promise of rose petals, leather and power.
Sadly the taste didn't live up to the priors: rather declining and less rose petals than anticipated.
Great mouthful though, with long, long finish; smooth, cedary, very satisfying; drinking well now,
but hope for better in the future is less than anticipated and almost 'non existent'.

< Message edited by Serge Birbrair -- 6/30/2008 12:48:07 AM >

tsk....

Post #: 40
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:22:25 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

And there I was thinking it was a typo and were talking about Simon Gruber.

The Ironman:

< Message edited by Colonel Lawrence -- 6/30/2008 12:49:23 PM >

First they came for ....................

Post #: 41
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:26:17 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Don't see those notes posted?
Are these the unexpurgated versions?
L.

Post #: 42
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:37:53 AM   
Serge Birbrair

tsk....

Post #: 43
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:43:07 AM   
Serge Birbrair

quote:

Don't see those notes posted?
Are these the unexpurgated versions?
L.

The notes are as hidden as the wine source, not everything should be revealed in this world.

tsk....

Post #: 44
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:47:03 AM   
Serge Birbrair

< Message edited by Serge Birbrair -- 6/30/2008 4:43:07 PM >

tsk....

Post #: 45
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 4:52:40 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Tasted by KrisG on 5/6/2004 & rated 80 points: Light ruby red with an orange rim. nose revealing medicine, and tons of belle peppers, no real indication of fruit. Palate was very thin and acidic. there was some evidence that cassis and some black fruit were present in the past but no longer. There was no finish. I could only have a glass of this. too bad. thankfully my last bottle. this wine drank actually very well on release but appears over the hill. Cellar stored since purchase. (3228 views)
about 1993 Château Lafite Rothschild. (CT 87.3 ave, range 80-91.  RP 88)

It should hint that just because it's a 1st growth it needn't be a great wine.
And that the Chateau isn't always right - "The harvest was conducted under overcast skies, with alternating rain and sun, but ending on a sunny note. Fermenting was quick, but nonetheless maintained good tannin concentration. The wine has an intense color, and a fine and subtle bouquet. This is a fine and balanced wine that will age well."
Second hint - drink now if you have some.

I gave it 84
Color good , nose modest, body rather thin, but with no unpleasant features.
Did not linger on the palate. Suggest drink with food: because I have 5 magnums left!

and 88
My 2nd Magnum consumed, first I gave only 84 pts, thin and sad, rather than bad. Now only a few months later it tasted much better - perhaps accompanying a fine Bouef Bourginon (cooked with a Mont Redon Chateauneuf du Pape) was the secret. It followed a tasting of 1995 Latour/Mouton Rothschild/Haut Brion, so the benchmark was high.

I fear I may have been rating the beef + the Lafite 2nd time.

Post #: 46
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 5:09:14 AM   
Serge Birbrair

there was some evidence that cassis and some black fruit were present in the past but no longer.

I wonder what the evidence was and what other ghost tastes the author can spot?

I'll use this one for my future notes

"...there was some evidence that cassis, bacon fat, smoke, licorice, banana, mango, beets, potatoe chips, chalk, mother's milk, chewing gum and some  fruit were present in the past but no longer. "
should be a hit!

Am I judging too quickly???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo5tCHdlMKU&NR=1

tsk....

Post #: 47
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 5:18:50 AM   
Paul S

quote:

Tasted by KrisG on 5/6/2004 & rated 80 points: Light ruby red with an orange rim. nose revealing medicine, and tons of belle peppers, no real indication of fruit. Palate was very thin and acidic. there was some evidence that cassis and some black fruit were present in the past but no longer. There was no finish. I could only have a glass of this. too bad. thankfully my last bottle. this wine drank actually very well on release but appears over the hill. Cellar stored since purchase. (3228 views)
about 1993 Château Lafite Rothschild. (CT 87.3 ave, range 80-91.  RP 88)

It should hint that just because it's a 1st growth it needn't be a great wine.
And that the Chateau isn't always right - "The harvest was conducted under overcast skies, with alternating rain and sun, but ending on a sunny note. Fermenting was quick, but nonetheless maintained good tannin concentration. The wine has an intense color, and a fine and subtle bouquet. This is a fine and balanced wine that will age well."
Second hint - drink now if you have some.

I gave it 84
Color good , nose modest, body rather thin, but with no unpleasant features.
Did not linger on the palate. Suggest drink with food: because I have 5 magnums left!

and 88
My 2nd Magnum consumed, first I gave only 84 pts, thin and sad, rather than bad. Now only a few months later it tasted much better - perhaps accompanying a fine Bouef Bourginon (cooked with a Mont Redon Chateauneuf du Pape) was the secret. It followed a tasting of 1995 Latour/Mouton Rothschild/Haut Brion, so the benchmark was high.

I fear I may have been rating the beef + the Lafite 2nd time.

My commiseration on the magnums. On the other hand, I think some of them would come in handy if your looking to cook a good Beef Bordelais for a large crowd and need wine for the sauce.

Post #: 48
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 9:48:26 AM   
cgrimes

Here's another one from one of our esteemed forum colleagues

Tasted by "he who shall remain nameless" on 6/30/2008 & rated 94 points: Drank at home from a 375ml bottling [L05DB] with Rachel and Lionel, had some Amsterdam cheese on the side that went nicely. After all the talk about this vinatge, I thought I should try it and weigh in with my opinion, especially given that I am particularly partial to Clos des Papes. Suffiice to say, I found this a real joy to drink, especially given the plonk I have been having recently. This must be one of the "good" bottles then and, boy, what a good bottle it was too.

I poured some into a glass and decanted the rest. The nose was stunning from the outset. A touch of brett, traditional CdP tones of barnyard and leather and distinct whiffs of alcohol (cue fear of over-cooked, bad wine), but that was followed by layer after layer of dark, ripe cherries and secondary aromas of bramble / garrigue, dried herbs and pepper and a touch of roast-beef blood. Beautifully complex. I was hoping that the palate would follow through on the nose. It was a bit tight initially, but still very good. Medium bodied, but rather dense, it attacked with a burst of heat (cue fear again), high acid, almost a bit tart (a real suprise for me here) and firm tannins. However, there was real intensity and power in the ripe fruit that underlay that firm backbone, dark cherries wrapped in leather, and a really long finish with spice, leather notes, cedar wood some roasted flavours. I started smiling with glee.

After an hour in the decanter, the secondary flavours faded slightly, but I am glad to say that the alcohol heat dissipated as well, leaving a sweet, ripe and rather higher-toned nose of cherries and rasberries - almost kirsch like. The palate had taken on a licorice flavours, and the wine finished more with a ferrous minerality, more red meat and the lingering flavour of haw flakes. More roasted notes too. After two hours, the roasted notes, any sourness and hints of brett subsided, and the wine took on really rich, ripe cherry and rasberry flavours, with just a hint of raisins here and there. The palate was plush and layered, while the tannins and acid became a little more noticeable, it was all very seamless. Lovely.

Overall, I think this is a really, really good wine. Not your typical Clos des Papes, but then neither is the monumental 2005, both wines being denser, thicker and rather riper than what I am used too from this producer. I think the 2005 is a shade better, given its massive structure and super-fresh acid gives a tremendous sense of balance to the rich fruit. Still, I enjoyed every bit of this excellent bottle and, considering the secondary flavours that were there when I first opened the bottle and the firm backbone of the wine, I think that it will be a real beauty in 5 years time. (35 views) - report issue

And all this from a 375ml?  If we give you a magnum, you could write a novel!!
Craig

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 49
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 10:15:12 AM   
Serge Birbrair

quote:

ORIGINAL: cgrimes

And all this from a 375ml?  If we give you a magnum, you could write a novel!!
Craig

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DfjUF7oYQRA

< Message edited by Serge Birbrair -- 6/30/2008 11:49:24 AM >

tsk....

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 50
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 10:46:32 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Thanks loved that one.
But don't you think he could have added a little more on the resinous flavours of "garrigue" and it being  a type of low, soft-leaved scrubland found on limestone soils around the Med, generally near the seacoast, where the climate is ameliorated, but where annual summer drought conditions exist. Especially since the term has also found its way into Haute Cuisine, suggestive of the resinous flavours of a garrigue shrubland, which we all chew on regularly. To be absolutely accurate of course he'd need to draw on the UNEP World Conservation Monitoring Centre and describe garrigue as "discontinuous bushy associations of the Mediterranean calcareous plateaus, often composed of kermes oak, lavender, thyme, and white cistus (should that be citrus, if not what's cistus?), and there may be a few isolated trees."
But I really did love the post and hope you find more for our delictation ...... 
http://www.pseudodictionary.com/search.php?letter=d&browsestart=280 

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 51
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 10:51:21 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

And to prove a point he's my 1st ever fav. author!
L.

PS it's really easy to find out who posted the notes.

< Message edited by Colonel Lawrence -- 6/30/2008 10:59:53 AM >

Post #: 52
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 10:59:40 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Wow 29 TN's on my wines (more than me) and only two below 90 (at 89).
A kindred spirit I thought, but then I realised he's several hundreds of other notes on wines I don't own .
L.

Post #: 53
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:02:29 PM   
NiklasW

Well, sometimes you can get desparate to have some wine...

Tasted by **** on 5.5.2008: No rating because of sub-optimal drinking circumstances, i.e., out of a paper bag in a public park. Overriding impression is of concentrated fruit and zingy acidity. Dark fruit, floral notes, plenty of tannins, but without any air it was frustratingly tight. Next time I'll decant for a couple hours and then drink it out of a glass like a good little wine drinker. (366 views)

Post #: 54
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:31:28 PM   
jhannah27

Here's something that many of us can relate to.  Needless to say this was not a wine most people would consider using in cooking.

Tasted by xxxxxxx on 01/17/2008 & rated 90 points: Wouldn't have drank this, but...came home from work to "oh, honey I needed some wine to cook with and I couldn't find anything I recognized so I took one of those with the white label, you had several." At least it had been open for several hours when I had some. Seductive purple in the glass, fairly tight nose with notes of mint, cedar and raspberry. Palate similar to nose, but with a kick of acidity and fine tannin; well balanced. Medium-long finish. Gave it 90 now, but saw hints it could go higher.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 55
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:42:52 PM   
Colonel Lawrence

Need the name of the wine, otherwise we can't rush out and buy it.
I have the bag already
L.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 56
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 1:45:49 PM   
cgrimes

quote:

And to prove a point he's my 1st ever fav. author!
L.

PS it's really easy to find out who posted the notes.

He's one of my favs as well.  I just like to have fun

Serge thanks for  the 3 min musical interlude.  I'm ready for a glass of wine now.

Craig

< Message edited by cgrimes -- 6/30/2008 1:47:01 PM >

Post #: 57
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 3:30:23 PM   
Serge Birbrair

ucfk me running...have it your way cg

< Message edited by Serge Birbrair -- 6/30/2008 6:49:09 PM >

tsk....

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 58
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 6:29:49 PM   
cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serge Birbrair

Small suggestion:
let's keep our own notes OUT of the thread. "Shooting" other people TN's is just like shooting paper targets, they don't shoot back at you,
shooting each other TN may leave lots of bruised Ego's all over the board,

Serge, as I stated above, the author in question is one of my favorites--I'm just pointing out an unusual note (already acknowledged by the author to be long-winded) and teasing him a bit.  No offense taken.

Anyway, look who's calling the
[link=http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000Store/images/accessories/kettles/blackkettlesolo300.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.imperialtea.com/AB1002000Store/product.asp%3FCustomerID%3D944059%26ACBSessionID%3Du4voSaEcFtRjmtyqaDyH%26SID%3D2%26Product_ID%3D520%26Category_ID%3D18&h=300&w=306&sz=21&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=wgoQwqecEMFklM:&tbnh=115&tbnw=117&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblack%2Bkettle%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den][/link]

You spend half your time criticizing notes, pointing out inaccuracies, and even flinging personal vendettas with others on the forum.  Don't tell me how to behave on this forum

Post #: 59
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 6/30/2008 6:58:03 PM   
cgrimes

How about just saying "point taken, cg" and leave it at that? 

How much do you think that dress cost, anyway?
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Tasting Notes To Note Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI