CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Tasting Notes To Note

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Tasting Notes To Note Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 7:52:07 AM   
rbazinet

Amazing how an extra "o" can change things!  The imagery!

(in reply to Serge Birbrair)
Post #: 151
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 8:16:40 AM   
fingers

Wow.  I suppose this qualifies under "CORKtastic afterlives"  thread, too!

Is there some reference to Richard Gere in there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH9CdoUmFxs&feature=related

< Message edited by fingers -- 7/22/2008 8:22:27 AM >

(in reply to rbazinet)
Post #: 152
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 8:25:26 AM   
Serge Birbrair

I find this tasting note to be very descriptive and give full impression of the wine grape:

tsk....

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 153
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 8:27:13 AM   
fingers

Serge, did you notice that Mr Mahon disregards the letter "R"?

Post #: 154
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 8:36:59 AM   
Serge Birbrair

I didn't, good eye!

tsk....

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 155
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 3:06:38 PM   
jhannah27

"Decanted 2.5 hrs, no sediment Nose: Tomato, celery, basil, tobacco, and at times a bit of burnt rubber and other times sheep butt. Taste: light-medium body with bell pepper, dirt, tobacco, and a core of overipe cherries. Nice structure with smooth transitions throughout. Gripping tannins that carry some dust with them and a decent, medium-length finish. Absolutely brilliant paired with a grill-roasted, rosey-rare rack of baby lamb and purslane fatoush salad."

Now...I get when people say "barnyard" when referring to bret,  but "sheep butt" connotes a level of personal experience with barnyard animals that I am just not comfortable with.

-- Jeremy

Post #: 156
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 3:11:02 PM   
Serge Birbrair

I hope he didn't burn his rubber with the butt in question
:)

tsk....

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 157
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 6:35:06 PM   
Paul S

mmmm.... sheep's butt. Sounds nasty.

Post #: 158
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 9:00:21 PM   
Serge Birbrair

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul S

mmmm.... sheep's butt. Sounds nasty.

Sounds normal, it's the smell what scares me

tsk....

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 159
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/22/2008 9:39:59 PM   
J2K

This wine has consistent notes by the same taster, the same day, but for some reason drops a point.
BTW, thanks for the "lengthy description".

2005 Bodegas Borsao Garnacha Campo de Borja Tres Picos(Spain, Aragón, Campo de Borja) 

Tasted by Urban Nomad on 7/21/2008 & rated 92 points: Massive fruit... Only a lengthy description does this justice

2005 Bodegas Borsao Garnacha Campo de Borja Tres Picos(Spain, Aragón, Campo de Borja) 

Tasted by Urban Nomad on 7/21/2008 & rated 91 points: Massive fruit. As stated before

Post #: 160
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 7/29/2008 2:50:01 PM   
J2K

Is this rating for the restaurant or the wine??/

2003 Ruffino Il Ducale Toscana IGT
Tasted on 8/29/2007 & rated 75 points: Menu said Reserva. Bottle was opened, not presented prior. (948 views)

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 161
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/1/2008 7:37:03 AM   
masi3v

New to the forum (although have lurked for a while), but I have really enjoyed this thread.  A friend of mine and I have been sending each other "tasting note of the day" for some time now.  I met Vaynerchuck the other day and told him that we try and find those notes that are clearly written by GV groupies and how ridiculous they can be.  He apparently took it as a compliment that people were immitating him.  When I tried to stress that we thought these notes verged on absurdity, I lost his interest. 

Here is my entry for today:

2000 Groth Cabernet

rated 87 points: good but not great. Had good fruit and some level of complexity but I had a cold so I really couldnt smell or taste the details well.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 162
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/1/2008 9:55:57 AM   
cgrimes

Welcome to the forum! Too bad s/he didn't include descriptions such as "nose of muted fruit with hints of menthol, eucalyptus, and petroleum jelly.  Midpalate with some alcohol and cough syrup that was somewhat numbing on the tongue. Finish of Smith Brother cherry which lingered on and on..."

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 163
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/1/2008 10:04:26 AM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL:

2000 Groth Cabernet

rated 87 points: good but not great. Had good fruit and some level of complexity but I had a cold so I really couldnt smell or taste the details well.

Welcome in, masi3v.  Maybe we call these type of reviews, "Pissing in our Tasting Note Pool", or PTNP's

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 164
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/1/2008 10:24:08 AM   
cgrimes

Ok, here are 2 that I love for their self-acknowleged pretensiousness and sheer raw emotion.  Here's a guy who really feels strongly about wine, and any deficiencies are a personal affront to his palate.  Agree or disagree,  I'd rather read his TN over mine any day

2002 Bodegas Caro (Barons de Rothschild/Catena) CARO
"14.0% alcohol. mendoza, argentina.

this is a collaborative effort with lafite rothschild, and is a cabernet + malbec blend. i guess i had heard about it, and i have certainly enjoyed wines from nicolas catena before; so when the costco wine guy raved about it, i tossed one in the cart ($27).

now, i know what's happening here. you are saying to yourself, "****, my man, why would you take the advice of the costco wine slave? after all, you are a distinguished and respected member of the parker wine board, and thousands of people hang on your TN's whenever they are posted. surely, you don't need to experiment at the lower end of the food chain, especially after having bought some older vintage cheval blanc yesterday from boardmember alan weinberg."

and you would be correct, karnak breath.

this wine sucks. however, said costco wine slave was also kind enough to recently have called me personally in order to tell me that he had 3 bottles (750 ml) of 2001 d'yquem at $360 per, and would i be interested?

and you would be right again, king tut sarcophagus breath. so, in order to be nice, i bought the caro.

but that's it, he's used up all his bonus miles with this flight of the turkey.

extremely tart upon opening, that has settled down into the 2 x 8 that it is. thin in the mid palate, and so blitheringly boring in the finish and mouthfeel, that all this has going for it is a mildly pleasant nose, and the fact that it probably isn't toxic. if this were $9, i'd still say don't buy, because i tasted the 04 mc manis cab yesterday, and it is WAY better. our fearless leader hasn't rated it, but WS has...91 points. OMG! blasphemy. apparently, this is what happens when 2 quality houses get together and try to manufacture a wine for the marketplace. truly shameful. not recommended (duh!).

Here's another one:

2003 Dominus Estate
14.1% alcohol. napa valley.

i don't know the blending of this wine, perhaps someone can enlighten me; and yet, i really don't care. i picked this up on the fly from costco for $93. i guess $93 is the new impulse buying level. it's not a wine i have been purchasing over the years, and this tasting only confirms that i've been making the right decision. we might as well run through the usual littany of normal responses when i trash an icon:

you drank it too young
you didn't decant it enough
it will be better on day three
you had a bad bottle
you're an idiot

this wine is as boring as a 20th high school reunion, and for $92, even a guy like me who doesn't give one rat's ass about QPR, has to say, "no mas!" you just can't put a famous winemaker's name on the label, and then barely go through the motions to produce something that a UC davis third year wannabe could make in the trunk of his corolla. no flaws, just no anything, except for dusty tannin, not enough fruit, and some insipid cassis. drinkable, but a major disappointment. (613 views)

Hope you enjoyed!

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 165
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/1/2008 10:42:52 AM   
fingers

Nice! 

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 166
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/1/2008 1:15:41 PM   
rloomis

Nice find cg.  The author of that 2003 Dominus Estate TN went right on my fav list! Too funny!

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 167
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/13/2008 1:50:14 PM   
masi3v

Rated 72 points: If you can't find this wine at your local wine store, you can simulate it by purchasing the cheapest bottle of "white zinfandel" you can find. Then pour it into a bowl, and leave it out in the sun for a week. Allow the dead bugs to stay in the wine. When the week has elapsed, chill the wine, and alternate between taking sips and licking the wood shingles on your roof.

Seriously, you must not pay money for this wine. If offered a complimentary glass, politely ask if there is anything else available. (63 views

(in reply to rloomis)
Post #: 168
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/13/2008 1:51:18 PM   
masi3v

By the same author as my previous post:

I haven't drunk this wine. Note that Wine Spectator gave it 79 points.

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 169
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/13/2008 2:04:39 PM   
Serge Birbrair

quote:

ORIGINAL: masi3v

Rated 72 points: If you can't find this wine at your local wine store, you can simulate it by purchasing the cheapest bottle of "white zinfandel" you can find. Then pour it into a bowl, and leave it out in the sun for a week. Allow the dead bugs to stay in the wine. When the week has elapsed, chill the wine, and alternate between taking sips and licking the wood shingles on your roof.

Seriously, you must not pay money for this wine. If offered a complimentary glass, politely ask if there is anything else available. (63 views

Beauty!  Thanks for sharing!

tsk....

(in reply to masi3v)
Post #: 170
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/14/2008 12:09:10 AM   
flyfysher

I have to admit I'm biased.  Nevertheless, I reviewed a few pages worth of 'Anonymous #284's' tasting notes.  Anonymous #284 has quite a number of bottles in his/her collection and it is readily apparent that individual is very knowledgeable about wine.

But the colorful (I'd characterize it as smart ass) tenor of Anonymous #284's tasting notes leaves something to be desired for me.  The colorful descriptions which Anonymous #284 frequently employs are not all that educational even though some of his/her 'real' occasional tasting notes are very informative.  Anonymous #284 certainly has the ability to provide insight when he/she wants to.

I read in one of Anonymous #284's tasting notes that 1952 was his/her birth year and I can understand the sort of 'I don't give a crap' mentality in his/her tasting notes of someone who is older since I was born in 1956.  For me though, reading tasting notes is an opportunity to learn about different wines and at various stages of their development and what others perceive in a given wine.  It is also tempered by the fact that others may not share the same likes/dislikes about certain varietals, producers, or even perceptions about a given wine from a particular vintage.  So it is in that sense that I find value in tasting notes.

I apologize if I come off as being humorless but I don't read tasting notes to see who can excel at being colorful. Certainly, humor is a good trait and a necessary one at that.  However, constantly employing a smart ass tone in one's posts is not, in my opinion, humorous, desirable or educational.  I've no doubt I'm in the minority since many individuals have identified Anonymous #284 as being on their list of favorite posters. But in my experience there are already more than enough people who strive to be and excel at being colorful and that not why I read these posts.

< Message edited by flyfysher -- 8/14/2008 12:11:51 AM >

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 171
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/14/2008 9:49:16 AM   
cgrimes

quote:

ORIGINAL: flyfysher

I have to admit I'm biased.  Nevertheless, I reviewed a few pages worth of 'Anonymous #284's' tasting notes.  Anonymous #284 has quite a number of bottles in his/her collection and it is readily apparent that individual is very knowledgeable about wine.

But the colorful (I'd characterize it as smart ass) tenor of Anonymous #284's tasting notes leaves something to be desired for me.  The colorful descriptions which Anonymous #284 frequently employs are not all that educational even though some of his/her 'real' occasional tasting notes are very informative.  Anonymous #284 certainly has the ability to provide insight when he/she wants to.

I read in one of Anonymous #284's tasting notes that 1952 was his/her birth year and I can understand the sort of 'I don't give a crap' mentality in his/her tasting notes of someone who is older since I was born in 1956.  For me though, reading tasting notes is an opportunity to learn about different wines and at various stages of their development and what others perceive in a given wine.  It is also tempered by the fact that others may not share the same likes/dislikes about certain varietals, producers, or even perceptions about a given wine from a particular vintage.  So it is in that sense that I find value in tasting notes.

I apologize if I come off as being humorless but I don't read tasting notes to see who can excel at being colorful. Certainly, humor is a good trait and a necessary one at that.  However, constantly employing a smart ass tone in one's posts is not, in my opinion, humorous, desirable or educational.  I've no doubt I'm in the minority since many individuals have identified Anonymous #284 as being on their list of favorite posters. But in my experience there are already more than enough people who strive to be and excel at being colorful and that not why I read these posts.

That is the beauty of the "ignore" function in the "buddies" section.  You shouldn't have to read any notes you find less than worthwhile.  In principle, I agree with you, but previous related threads have generally concluded that we all should just write as we see fit.  Inevitably we will find some TN more (or less) useful than others.
Craig

(in reply to flyfysher)
Post #: 172
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 8/28/2008 3:31:45 PM   
fingers

Not mine, but one of my favorite authors.  From 8/15/08

"Why, oh why, did I decide to have faith in humanity, and trust that damned, mottled pale skin, red-nosed drunkard/sea captain-looking wine merchant at Yorkville, against all odds. He’s always seemed to have some disdain with my spending over $15 on a wine in his shop (obviously he's not the owner).
Told him I wanted to try something new: a nice California pinot noir with few flaws and complexity, for somewhere around $30/40 (I like trying new varietals and watching them come over my palate for the first time with a bang).
His first reply: “Well, you don’t need to spend that much!” OK, kindness, perhaps.
“Oh, great!” I replied. He then led me to this crapper, which, aha! was also on clearance sale, and said he thought it was “nice”. I asked about the taste: he was at a loss for words. “Uhhhh… it kinda…has a…cherry taste. I liked it. People like it.”
“Really? Does it have any major flaws?” I ask.
“Well, nothing’s perfect: everything has flaws”, this jackass replies, in a roundabout, philosophical manner. Wow. You should work in a wine shop! Can’t tell me what the flaws are.
Conclusion after tasting?
Forgive me while I vent, and direct my wrath towards the sea captain:
Well, dips*it, if you want to keep drinking the rusty, acidic slime from the bottom of the Star Wars trash compactor and call it “nice”, go ahead! But don’t recommend it to your customers, you slovenly drunkard! Admit you don’t know s*it from Shinola! Go back out on the sea and salvage for scrap metal once again! Reassume your identity as a lost sea captain eager for any form of alcoholic intoxication available.
This wine is quite simply a sore throat in a bottle. I waited, I decanted, I tried the next day: no dice. This is a peppery, rusty, acid disappointment. The plague. Unable to finish the bottle. Who could drink this crap?! "

(in reply to cgrimes)
Post #: 173
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 9/3/2008 4:39:28 PM   
smahk

quote:

This wine is quite simply a sore throat in a bottle.

Wow....love this comment....it applies to some I've tasted..particularly one producer in Napa who kept me captive in his garage(ista) until I tasted all 15 wines on the menu and became part of "the posse".

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 174
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 9/3/2008 5:39:05 PM   
Serge Birbrair

Fingers, this is one of the best TN's I ever read!

What is the wine!?

< Message edited by Serge Birbrair -- 9/3/2008 7:42:04 PM >

tsk....

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 175
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 9/4/2008 7:33:38 AM   
fingers

2006 Carmel Road Pinot Noir

My advise: don't buy Cali PN unless it is vineyard designated.  "Central Coast" doesn't cut it.

Post #: 176
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 9/4/2008 7:42:28 AM   
Serge Birbrair

Thank you!
I am staying away from Cali PN's period!

tsk....

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 177
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 9/4/2008 8:39:33 AM   
fingers

Now Serge, I'd have to use the adage, "Don't throw the baby out with the afterbirth" or however that goes.  You are missing truly great wines that rival Willamette, Gevry-Chambertin, or dare I say Eschezeaux.  Yes, I said rival.  Have you tried Pinot's from the following AVA's?

Santa Rita Hills
Santa Lucia Highlands
Santa Maria Valley
Sonoma, Los Carneros, and Russion River Valley (although there some hit and miss here)

Look for specific vineyards like Dierberg, Larner, Gary's, Reuling. 

This is somewhat of a recent phenomenon (maybe, thanks to "Sideways") but serious Cali PN winemakers have rapidly, if you can call 7 or 8 years rapid, acheived production quality that brings Cot d'Or, Martinborough, or Dundee Hills into parity.  How fascinating would another "Judgement" be that focused on Burgundy, Oregon, California, and New Zealand? 

Now, Chardonnay is another matter.  Someday, perhaps Burgundy will acheive it's goal of making wines more like America (sic)

If you come to Cellarpalooza '09, we'll have a showdown! 

< Message edited by fingers -- 9/4/2008 8:47:33 AM >

Post #: 178
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 9/4/2008 8:52:30 AM   
Serge Birbrair

I have a few bottles of Cali PN juice:
Sea Smoke "Ten" and Southing
and I'll wait a bit longer before opening them up again.
Last time I did it wasn't bad at all.

tsk....

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 179
RE: Tasting Notes To Note - 9/4/2008 9:05:31 AM   
fingers

Those two are pretty good standards and I would consider Sea Smoke one of the "Big Boys".  I also think that the small boutique producers products are even more exciting. 

Glad to hear you have not totally written us Californians off.  I thought I might be opening a can of "Francophile Whoop-Ass" when I made those statements. Time will tell.

On another subject, I just received four bottles of the most exotic wine I've ever purchased.  2005 Vinoterra Tsinandali
A Rkatsiteli from Georgia - couldn't help but think of you.  Perhaps I just felt like supporting the underdog in the fight with the Rusky's.

< Message edited by fingers -- 9/4/2008 9:06:26 AM >

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Tasting Notes To Note Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI