CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Italia

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Italia Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Italia - 3/16/2018 12:09:33 PM   
ROEL

Tough...

Sounds like a lot of fun
Enjoy and try to get some sleep from time to time!

Beauty lies in simple things

(in reply to Wine_Strategies)
Post #: 181
RE: Italia - 3/16/2018 11:10:27 PM   
TexasWineGeek

Tim,

Now I envy you. Too bad you weren't coming south west. I'm at my home in Portugal and we could have had quite a bit of fun imbibing and great Portuguese food. Happy and safe travels.

Billy

TWG

Consuming wine in moderation daily will help people to die young as late as possible. ~ Dr Philip Norrie

Too Much Wine and Not Enough Time ~

Post #: 182
RE: Italia - 3/21/2018 4:30:56 AM   
Wine_Strategies

I'll be back in Italia this evening, but before I do, lunch in Alsace, post-visit to Domaine Weinbach. A good day.

Tim

https://ItalianWine.Smugmug.com

https://www.italianwine.blog

(in reply to TexasWineGeek)
Post #: 183
RE: Italia - 3/21/2018 5:37:25 PM   
khmark7

Oh, and another corked wine from Italy...this time Sardinia

How is visiting Domaine Weinbach??? Jealous.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 184
RE: Italia - 3/22/2018 12:12:51 PM   
Wine_Strategies

thanks, Karl. also, email/reply with producer name,wine and vintage, if possible .

re: Domaine Weinbach, one of the highest quality families I've ever met. Alsace is a class act, you absolutely MUST visit.

< Message edited by Wine_Strategies -- 3/22/2018 12:13:29 PM >

Tim

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 185
RE: Italia - 3/23/2018 6:32:29 AM   
Eddie

Apropos of nothing, I just wish I could visit.

Post #: 186
RE: Italia - 3/26/2018 6:58:04 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Seventy four winery visits so far this trip including: Rheinhessen, Pfalz, Mosel, Alsace, Aosta, Umbria, Liguria, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Chianti, Barolo, Barbaresco, Roero, Alto Piemonte, Monferrato/Asti, Ticino, etc., and not a single visitor from this board. I only have 6 weeks left in Italia before I move to Bordeaux for 10 days. Sheesh

ti aspetto

last week, at Burlotto (no Acclivi in 2014, grapes went into Classico)

the view from Diano d'Alba (east) across the Langhe valley toward La Morra (west)

lunch last week in Alsace - French cream/mushrooms, house-made noodles. Burp.

after a long day of tasting wine, this and some of the Zacapa XO I bought (last shared with drycab, saluta) when I arrived here on 14 February

my trip is just past the halfway point, back home around 22 May. But...I'll return in the fall for another 90 days centered around the harvest(s).

ciao

Tim

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 187
RE: Italia - 3/26/2018 7:18:19 AM   
thesternowl

Tim...believe me, if I could shake free and get over there to visit you, I would. BTW, do you ever visit Carema?

Post #: 188
RE: Italia - 3/26/2018 12:05:49 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wine_Strategies

thanks, Karl. also, email/reply with producer name,wine and vintage, if possible .

re: Domaine Weinbach, one of the highest quality families I've ever met. Alsace is a class act, you absolutely MUST visit.

Tim, it was 2011 Sella & Mosca Cannonau di Sardegna Riserva

Yes, Alsace in on my short list of places in Europe with castles to visit.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 189
RE: Italia - 4/10/2018 10:53:47 PM   
Wine_Strategies

My five weeks in Langhe/Monferatto came to an end on Monday. Since then I have visited Oltrepò and Franciacorta regions. This morning, on my way to Friuli; my next two nights are in Slovenia, just 25 minutes away from the bulk of my appointments. On Friday, I will move again to Verona area for Vinnatur, ViniVeri, Opera Wine, and VinItaly.

Six weeks remain, but honestly, I am ready to go home - I left there in mid-January, it's been hard at times not seeing my wife and daughter for so long.

By 19, I should be making the 3 day drive from Verona to Sicilia, where I will have 3 weeks.

ciao

Tim

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 190
RE: Italia - 4/11/2018 7:33:49 AM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

My five weeks in Langhe/Monferatto came to an end on Monday. Since then I have visited Oltrepò and Franciacorta regions. This morning, on my way to Friuli; my next two nights are in Slovenia, just 25 minutes away from the bulk of my appointments. On Friday, I will move again to Verona area for Vinnatur, ViniVeri, Opera Wine, and VinItaly.

Six weeks remain, but honestly, I am ready to go home - I left there in mid-January, it's been hard at times not seeing my wife and daughter for so long.

By 19, I should be making the 3 day drive from Verona to Sicilia, where I will have 3 weeks.

ciao

Why are you driving? That's a long drive. Easy Jet from Venice is cheap. Maybe you have some stops planned. There are some nice spots on the Cilento Coast. Castellabate, Acciaroli, Ascea, Palinuro & Sapri. Further south Maratea is nice. Further south is Diamanté then a whole lot of nothing until Calabria. Tropea and Scilla are nice in Calabria. Tropea was the birthplace of Albert Anastasia if you're a Mafia historian. A pretty terrible guy but nevertheless.

Lots of great history in Sicily. The Archeological Museum in Siracusa is a must stop as is the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. Taormina in nice but too touristy for me. Cefalù is a cool coasta town and Castellammare Del Golfo is small but cool and another rich in Mafia history. Erice up on the hill is also cool. Noto has some great Baroque architecture. Have fun in Sicilia, it's great. Try Stighiola and Sfincione. The Seppia pastas and risotto with seafood are killer. Eggplant Parm in Sicilia is epic.

Rick

< Message edited by WineGuyDelMar -- 4/11/2018 7:42:05 AM >

Post #: 191
RE: Italia - 4/11/2018 8:02:08 AM   
forceberry

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

Tim...believe me, if I could shake free and get over there to visit you, I would. BTW, do you ever visit Carema?

Having been to Carema a few years ago, there's very little to do there. The co-op building and a handful of houses - that's about it. The views are nice, but as the region is situated at the mouth of the Aosta Valley in Piedmont, not in Aosta Valley itself, the region really doesn't stand a chance in comparison to the actual Alpine views inside the valley.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 192
RE: Italia - 4/11/2018 8:21:24 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: forceberry

quote:

Having been to Carema a few years ago, there's very little to do there. The co-op building and a handful of houses - that's about it. The views are nice, but as the region is situated at the mouth of the Aosta Valley in Piedmont, not in Aosta Valley itself, the region really doesn't stand a chance in comparison to the actual Alpine views inside the valley.

I know it's tiny. I was more interested in knowing whether he had ever visited Ferrando.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 193
RE: Italia - 4/11/2018 8:48:13 AM   
forceberry

quote:

I know it's tiny. I was more interested in knowing whether he had ever visited Ferrando.

Oh. Well, I have. It's not located in Carema.

They sure have a cellar there, because the appellation laws stipulate that Carema wines must be vinified in Carema, but it's only a warehouse, really. Ferrando the winery is located in Ivrea, some half an hour drive away from Carema.

Check my blog and join me in my search for rare and unknown grape varieties and wine styles!
My CT profile

Post #: 194
RE: Italia - 4/11/2018 9:51:29 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

quote:

Oh. Well, I have. It's not located in Carema.

They sure have a cellar there, because the appellation laws stipulate that Carema wines must be vinified in Carema, but it's only a warehouse, really. Ferrando the winery is located in Ivrea, some half an hour drive away from Carema.

Noted! Obviously...I've never been. But I like their wine.

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 195
RE: Italia - 4/11/2018 12:27:13 PM   
forceberry

quote:

Which one? Or ones? :D

They do make terrific stuff, but although their whites are interesting, the red Caremas are still miles better. When we visited the winery we asked if we could buy some Riservas, but they said that the production is so ridiculously small that they sell basically everything they produce to the States, so they are out of stock for the previous vintage and the next vintage was still sitting in the barrels. Fortunately they still had some normale bottlings left!

I've had also some older bottlings. The oldest is the 1964, but that exact one had the guts to be corked. It was so subtly corked that no-one else had noticed it before I said anything and even after that most continued to empty the bottle happily. Unfortunately for me the aftertaste was so darn TCA-mouldy that I couldn't really enjoy the wine.

My CT profile

Post #: 196
RE: Italia - 4/11/2018 12:30:12 PM   
PinotPhile

On topic I believe. I have been reading about viticulture and climate in Italia. One reference drew a parallel between wine differences on the Tuscan Coast vs. Chianti Classico, and North Coast and Central Coast in CA. It seems that the Tuscan Coast tends to be relatively warm, and, thus, super Tuscan grapes such as Cab Sauv and Merlot are favored over Sangiovese. The Classico area is cooler w/different soil types and is more ideal for Sangiovese.

I have been to the Central Coast and the North Coast areas. When I think North Coast, I have more experience w/cooler areas such as Mendocino. Yet North Coast also includes Lake County, which is not coastal and has high-elevation vineyards where Cab Sauv thrives. And some Central Coast areas, such as Santa Barbara, are known for cooler-climate PN.

I am struggling with the comparison between Tuscany and CA areas. Any thoughts, especially from CTers who have been to Tuscany, would be appreciated. I have a few Chianti Classico wines here as well as one Super-Tuscan. But ideas on wines that would illustrate this concept would be welcome.

I am such a geek, esp. when it comes to Italia.

Cheers!

Post #: 197
RE: Italia - 4/11/2018 1:34:54 PM   
thesternowl

quote:

quote:

Which one? Or ones? :D

They do make terrific stuff, but although their whites are interesting, the red Caremas are still miles better. When we visited the winery we asked if we could buy some Riservas, but they said that the production is so ridiculously small that they sell basically everything they produce to the States, so they are out of stock for the previous vintage and the next vintage was still sitting in the barrels. Fortunately they still had some normale bottlings left!

I've had also some older bottlings. The oldest is the 1964, but that exact one had the guts to be corked. It was so subtly corked that no-one else had noticed it before I said anything and even after that most continued to empty the bottle happily. Unfortunately for me the aftertaste was so darn TCA-mouldy that I couldn't really enjoy the wine.

Touche! However, I was referring specifically to their reds and even more specifically to their "Etichetta Bianca" which I think is fabulous. I've never even seen the "Etichetta Nera" which I believe to be the riserva you're referring to.

What a crying shame about the '64 being corked! Ugh!!!

(in reply to forceberry)
Post #: 198
RE: Italia - 4/23/2018 2:01:47 PM   
Wine_Strategies

Beginning to wind down my trip, only one month remains. Tonight, in Lucca, killer dinner at Ristorante Al Corso - in case any of you find your way there. The Somm, Carlotta, made a very good wine list, too. Very highly recommended

Tim

Post #: 199
RE: Italia - 4/23/2018 2:18:24 PM   
S1

Stay safe.
Keep living well!

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to ROEL)
Post #: 200
RE: Italia - 4/23/2018 3:57:42 PM   
recotte

quote:

Beginning to wind down my trip, only one month remains. Tonight, in Lucca, killer dinner at Ristorante Al Corso - in case any of you find your way there. The Somm, Carlotta, made a very good wine list, too. Very highly recommended

You're doing something right when it takes a month to wind down a trip!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

Post #: 201
RE: Italia - 4/24/2018 2:23:08 PM   
Wine_Strategies

We moved from Lucca this morning to have lunch in Firenze. After several (several!) Hundred dollars went missing at Ferragamo's flagship store, we had lunch and then pushed on to Montalcino.

Tonight's dinner was at Montalcino's top foodie resto, (the newly remade) Osticcio. After 3 1/2 hours and 8 courses, we go to leave and run in to Stella di Campalto, whom I have been fortunate to get to know, seeing her just last Wednesday, at VinItaly.

great night all around

Tim

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 202
RE: Italia - 4/24/2018 3:30:42 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

We moved from Lucca this morning to have lunch in Firenze. After several (several!) Hundred dollars went missing at Ferragamo's flagship store, we had lunch and then pushed on to Montalcino.

Tonight's dinner was at Montalcino's top foodie resto, (the newly remade) Osticcio. After 3 1/2 hours and 8 courses, we go to leave and run in to Stella di Campalto, whom I have been fortunate to get to know, seeing her just last Wednesday, at VinItaly.

great night all around

I you feel like somebody hates you Tim, it's those jealous types on the other wine forums. Enjoy paisan!

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 4/24/2018 3:31:01 PM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 203
RE: Italia - 4/24/2018 4:32:39 PM   
recotte

Winding down done right.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 204
RE: Italia - 4/24/2018 4:55:33 PM   
S1

quote:

great night all around

If I can ever drag you to Chas, I'd love to take you to Trattoria Lucca. Chef's grandma was from Lucca. We did a fabulous dinner there at Chas II.
The invitation is always open!

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 205
RE: Italia - 4/26/2018 1:31:06 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Our visit to Osticcio (newly remodeled, new staff, chef, etc.) was unplanned - a last minute choice based on my visit there to buy some wine (many restaurants are also a wine shop/enoteca, though certainly not all of them). After my trip is over, in mid-May, I'll return to writing again on my site (and enter some of the few thousand tasting notes I've made since beginning this oddysee in January), but for now, I'm just trying to enjoy, and learn.

The new Osticcio is top-shelf, but without a top-shelf price. I'm putting this post here in the hopes that it'll help someone that's making a visit to Montalcino and looking for a true-foodie/winelover experience that's unique and deeply memorable.

I've not time to post a full write-up this morning, so I'll just put some pictures here. The deer ravioli were superb, but the shrimp risotto was the winner, I think.

Superb wine list put together by Alberto, a 24-yr old Somm that really knows his stuff; the prices are excellent, nothing like the markups in US restaurants, not even close. Think 40%, not 400%.

the best spaghetti of my life, and that's saying a lot having eaten it all my life, and having lived here for more than 1000 days over the years.

the view from our table, as the sun was going down

beautiful space, some of the best service ever, killer wine list, great prices...VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ;-)

(don't go online to look at reviews, nearly all of them are from the time of the prior owners, etc.)

Tim

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 206
RE: Italia - 4/27/2018 12:48:48 PM   
Wine_Strategies

Morning appointment at Fuligni in Montalcino, lunch at da Renzo in Modena, and now, dinner at La Scala in Soave. Another solid day in the books.

< Message edited by Wine_Strategies -- 4/27/2018 12:49:21 PM >

Tim

Post #: 207
RE: Italia - 4/29/2018 9:28:32 AM   
Wine_Strategies

Morning cappuccino in Soave, espresso and brioche in Bergamo, lunch in Aosta, and dinner tonight in Geneva, Switzerland (a quick overnight and dinner). Driving back down to Aosta for the next few days, then flight to Paris (5 days) and 9 in Bordeaux, on Thursday. Honestly, I am wanting to leave now as I have done Paris and BDX about a dozen times and I am at the stage now where there is little to no appeal. I would complain about it, but I would be even more of an outcast then I already am here. :-(

Tim

Post #: 208
RE: Italia - 4/29/2018 2:12:03 PM   
recotte

Quit yer bitchin’ and go enjoy yourself! ;)

Post #: 209
RE: Italia - 4/30/2018 3:46:10 AM   
Wine_Strategies

After a petit-déjeuner in Geneva, I moved south, again toward Italia. A quick espresso in Chamonix, then through the Mont Blanc tunnel...again. Now, very happy to be having lunch at Trattoria di Campagna, just outside of Aosta. Having a Triolet (producer) wine today, with 50% Vien de Nus, a new grape variety for me. Food, service and wine list are 5/5! Visiting Grosjeans in a few hours, if time, Anselmet, too.

Tim

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Italia Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI