CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Coravin wine preservation system

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Coravin wine preservation system Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 8:32:16 AM   
Jasonrgreen

Did anyone out there with an erobertparker subscription see the demo video of the new Coravin wine preservation system? This thing is pretty amazing. It was developed by a medical device inventor and uses a surgical needle to tap a bottle right through the capsule and cork allowing you to pour a glass of wine. While the wine is pouring, it is replaced by Argon gas allowing no oxygen to contact with the wine in the bottle. The surgical needle does not damage the cork and you can put the bottle back in the cellar. Parker and the inventor tasted several wines from bottles that were tapped multiple times over the last 5 years. Parker said that they were as fresh as if the cork was just pulled. This could really change the wine world, but I am most excited about what it could do to the wine by the glass programs in restaurants. I guess it will be released to the public later this summer and is about $200 and $10 for the replacement argon cans (estimate is about $0.50 per glass in argon). It was kind of funny watching Parker as he was actually shaking and stuttering with excitement. He was clear that he had no financial interest in this (probably in light of the Parker Signed 100 Point fiasco of this week). I signed up on the waiting list and hope that we can test it out at one of our Seattle Tasting Group sessions in the future.

Post #: 1
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 9:14:25 AM   
Stirling

I think, and hope, that it revolutionizes what goes on in wine bars and winery tasting rooms. It makes it economically feasible to open very high end wines and sell thme to customers at fair prices because you don't have to cover off the risk that whole bottle does not sell that night. It also means that I can go out and buy 750 ml bottles of Port! Given its functionality, it seems worth its high price.

For non-subscribers, a review of 5 different systems, including Coravin, was done here on Wired: http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/wine-preserve/

My blog: www.advinetures.ca

(in reply to Jasonrgreen)
Post #: 2
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 9:16:31 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Haven't seen the video, but found a side by side review of this and 4 other devices, here....

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/wine-preserve/?pid=3375

I have seen other argon systems in use in tasting rooms, and wine bars.  Oregons Wines on Broadway has largest one I've ever seen, ~40 bottles can be open at a time.  Not sure if that is a single system or multiples.   I can definitely see where a restaurant, tasting room or wine bar could benefit from this.  Biggest downside I see for this one though is that it only does one bottle at a time (unless there is a manifolded commercial system I'm not seeing).

I don't see where I have any personal use for this or any other system, because my wines rarely see a second day, and when they do I'd rather see how they changed. 

ETA;  Stirling types faster than me...

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 6/8/2013 9:17:13 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 3
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 9:49:49 AM   
Jasonrgreen

I actually would like one for home use.... mainly for Sauternes and other dessert wines. I would really like to have a glass of d'Yquem one day with out waiting for that special occasion that justifies opening a bottle.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 4
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 9:54:25 AM   
BobMilton

Geez, if you can figure out how to run it in reverse, you could drink your DRC and sell it too! Rudy should have waited.

Post #: 5
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 9:59:14 AM   
Stirling

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Biggest downside I see for this one though is that it only does one bottle at a time (unless there is a manifolded commercial system I'm not seeing).

Actually it works on multiple bottles. The key is they have to have a natural cork closure (no synthetic or Stelvin). A needle passes through the cork into the wine and allows the wine to travel up the needle and slowly pour into the glass. Once the pour stops the Argon is injected into the remaining space. When the apparatus is removed from the cork, the cork presses in on the space where the needle was and seals it up tight.

With non-fortified wines, they seldom make it past day 2 at our house either. But I have not bought Port for years because so much goes to waste. And I love Port! This opens up a whole new way for me to blow money that I don't have!

Post #: 6
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 10:11:08 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stirling

quote:

Biggest downside I see for this one though is that it only does one bottle at a time (unless there is a manifolded commercial system I'm not seeing).

Actually it works on multiple bottles. The key is they have to have a natural cork closure (no synthetic or Stelvin). A needle passes through the cork into the wine and allows the wine to travel up the needle and slowly pour into the glass. Once the pour stops the Argon is injected into the remaining space. When the apparatus is removed from the cork, the cork presses in on the space where the needle was and seals it up tight.

How long does this procedure take?  In a restaurant or bar slinging drinks, I could see this taking (relatively) forever, particularly to go from bottle to bottle.

Again, I think the technology is a great idea, but if I were interested in using one commerically, I'd want it to be easy for the bartender to keep same or close to current speed of pouring.    I'd guess maybe the developer needs to sell a few to develope a larger scale multipour system.

And I do agree dessert or port wine use makes lots of sense!

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Stirling)
Post #: 7
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 10:16:46 AM   
Stirling

Inserting the device takes about 2 seconds; pouring a glass takes about 15 secs and 2 secs to remove.

Post #: 8
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/8/2013 3:38:47 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

Haven't seen the video, but found a side by side review of this and 4 other devices, here....

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/06/wine-preserve/?pid=3375

I have seen other argon systems in use in tasting rooms, and wine bars.  Oregons Wines on Broadway has largest one I've ever seen, ~40 bottles can be open at a time.  Not sure if that is a single system or multiples.   I can definitely see where a restaurant, tasting room or wine bar could benefit from this.  Biggest downside I see for this one though is that it only does one bottle at a time (unless there is a manifolded commercial system I'm not seeing).

I don't see where I have any personal use for this or any other system, because my wines rarely see a second day, and when they do I'd rather see how they changed. 

ETA;  Stirling types faster than me...

There once was a wine bar named "Clos" (In Columbus Circle Mall, NYC). It had about 70 or so Argon system, and you prepurchased a card, and each bottle had a different price. Dessert pours were 2 oz., all others were 4oz. They had over head projection onto white tables, where you could scroll through the list and Professional notes and such like a smart board. I went back a year later and it was gone, replaced by a failing Bakery. The system looked really nice, but even with a crowd, it really wasn't cost effective. I'm sure as a 4th floor mid mall wine bistro, they had a serious price in rental agreement. Things like this have been around for a while, but have been cost prohibitive to most folks. WE has had a 4 bottle system that has 2 temps, but again fairly pricey. It was a very cool wine bar. Such is the life of any bar/club.

Besides if I get a great glass, I would have just wasted a load of argon, as I would easily cruise through a single bottle.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

Post #: 9
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/9/2013 12:56:33 PM   
geppetto

This sounds really cool, but I can't find the video online. Does anyone have a link?

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 10
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/10/2013 9:45:45 AM   
ob2s

The suggestion that you can sample a wine over and over is not believable to me. Cork wears like any other wood, it may have more memory (like memory foam) than oak of course, but eventually the cork will not be able to magically seal itself. Also the canister lasts for 15 glasses.....to me this means that in 15 new bottles you can remove 150ml (a single glass pour) and enough Argon goes in to preserve the 600ml remaining (airspace), however if you use it to drink a half bottle ie 375 ml, you get 6 bottles per canister $1.67 per use. I guess that would be worth it over time to drink 1/2 bottles of decent stuff over $20, if the implication is that I could drink the other half in 5 years with no increase to the normal aging or degradation process....with a mag in a glass by glass commercial setting you would use up the majority of one canister.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 11
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/13/2013 11:45:59 PM   
ckinv368

This is a pretty cool system. Would love to try it sometime!

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 12
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/17/2013 6:09:31 PM   
FRM

I just signed up for the waiting list - what the heck, I'll give it a spin around the block when it comes out.

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 13
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/18/2013 5:30:15 AM   
FRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jasonrgreen

This could really change the wine world, but I am most excited about what it could do to the wine by the glass programs in restaurants.

Uber-high end NYC restaurant Del Posto (owned by Mario Batali, Lidia Bastianich and her son Joe) uses it, check the link out:

Del Posto Uses Coravin Wine Preservation System

Post #: 14
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/18/2013 8:20:52 AM   
ob2s

I wonder how they price or present 3/4 bottles of something if someone wants a bottle and they have just one croavin'ed bottle left. If the person doesn't know coravin, you have to do a sales job to sell that 3/4 bottle, or maybe they earmark the bottles as glass only.

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to FRM)
Post #: 15
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/18/2013 12:05:42 PM   
FRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

I wonder how they price or present 3/4 bottles of something if someone wants a bottle and they have just one croavin'ed bottle left. If the person doesn't know coravin, you have to do a sales job to sell that 3/4 bottle, or maybe they earmark the bottles as glass only.

They have a page in the beginning of the Wine List that is captioned "Alla Coravin" and they have selected offerings of 3 or 6 oz each. You can go to the Del Posto website and check it out. Del Posto Wine List

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 16
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 6/18/2013 6:08:07 PM   
FRM

Found an online video it. Check out the link.

http://www.frequency.com/video/coravin-instructions-for-use/99162703/-/5-13189

(in reply to FRM)
Post #: 17
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/29/2013 3:57:52 PM   
ob2s

Ok released. now001 is the code that gets you 3 gratis Argon cartridges. Who is biting ?

(in reply to FRM)
Post #: 18
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/29/2013 7:33:43 PM   
geppetto

Well, I tried to order one, but they won't let me register because I live in Canada. You'd think that in today's world, companies would be thinking a little more globally. Ugh!

All these dumb spelling mistakes are because I'm using my iPhone. Damn autocorrect! OKAY OKAY, maybe it has a little to do with the consumption of too much wine...

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 19
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/29/2013 8:06:51 PM   
champagneinhand

I will stick with the private preserve which is great stuff. I've been using it for years, though its more like $12.99 a bottle.

I know if I liked the first glass, I would open the bottle regardless.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 20
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/29/2013 9:43:26 PM   
ob2s

Yes well we love that you guys pay x2 more than us for wine related things, but it is those Argon capsules. No one wants anything to EXPLODE once it crosses the border. If you want one, I can bring it to you on my next trip to Van City. I will smuggle the gas cartridges.

quote:

ORIGINAL: geppetto

Well, I tried to order one, but they won't let me register because I live in Canada. You'd think that in today's world, companies would be thinking a little more globally. Ugh!

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 21
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/29/2013 10:28:41 PM   
geppetto

Really? That would be awesome! How often do you make it up to the Great White North? I'm going to call their customer service tomorrow to see what they can do for me, but if they try and bend me over to do nasty things to my bottom, I'll be looking for your help...

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 22
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/30/2013 12:54:10 AM   
ob2s

Right on , I stand by.

(in reply to geppetto)
Post #: 23
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/30/2013 6:31:48 AM   
pbilling

Well, I guess I know what I'm getting for Christmas

Here's a link to a demo video on the Coravin website.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/71197218?color=a40c34&autoplay=1

Paul

The secret to enjoying a good wine.
1. Open the bottle and allow to breathe
2. If it doesn't look like it's breathing, give it mouth to mouth.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 24
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/30/2013 7:06:43 AM   
FRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: ob2s

Ok released. now001 is the code that gets you 3 gratis Argon cartridges. Who is biting ?

I'll be pulling the trigger before the deadline. You shouldn't be giving away the code!!!!

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 25
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/30/2013 7:24:35 AM   
MindMuse

Ordered one this morning!

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(in reply to FRM)
Post #: 26
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/30/2013 8:24:31 AM   
FRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

Ordered one this morning!

Did you get the stand-alone since you get the 3 free canisters, or did you order the one that comes with 2 canisters? Not sure which one I should be getting (only $20 difference).

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 27
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/30/2013 8:40:16 AM   
fingers

I'm wondering what happens to the needle when crystals, sediment, and the general grunge that accumulates in a bottle starts to gunk up the system. I would think you still should pop the cork for the final glass, or maybe if you tip it just right, you can avoid the sediment entering the needle

(in reply to FRM)
Post #: 28
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/30/2013 8:50:06 AM   
ob2s

If I get one, I will only use it once on a bottle, because 1) The intent is to see if wine is ready 2) You use a lot more Argon as the bottle air volume becomes larger.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 29
RE: Coravin wine preservation system - 7/30/2013 10:35:49 AM   
JerryL

gepetto, aren't you coming to the Seattle get together? Do you just need a place to have it shipped?

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Coravin wine preservation system Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI