CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - Shopping for Equipment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - Shopping for Equipment Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - Shopping for Equipment - 7/4/2013 2:39:58 PM   
gharbour

This series of posts is the continuing saga of a father helping his son (Nicholas) and daughter-in-law (Colleen) realize their dream of starting a winery (www.MaisonHarbour.com) in Burgundy, France. If you didn’t catch my earlier posts please search on “Summer Adventure in Burgundy”.

We arrived on Monday morning and are just getting over the jet lag. Meanwhile work continues to get the Cuverie ready. Nicholas has been working on getting the dalle ancienne (old stone floor) out so we can start to set forms to pour the new concrete floor. It’s hot and dirty work.

We’ve borrowed power from the neighbor's as the electric company has yet to come. Tomorrow the water company is suppose to come give us water. You’ll note the new box in the wall in the photo below, that’s from the gas company, all hooked up! To bad we don’t need gas. The rubble pile is growing and we’ll need to make to a run to the dechetterie (dump) soon. Getting ready in time for the vendange (harvest) is starting to feel like a race already.

Yesterday we visited Nicholas' equipment supplier in Meursault. It was tres cool. I could spend all day looking at equipment. Nicholas is working to get the Maison equipped with everything they’ll need. Including fermenters. More on this subject as the final decisions are made.

We took a little break this evening to visit David Clark a friend of Nicholas and Colleen, who lives in Morey-Saint-Denis. We toured the domain (http://www.domainedavidclark.com) and tasted from barrels his 2012 Côte-de-Nuits-Villages, Morey-Saint-Denis, and Vosne-Romanée. These are the same wines that Nicholas and Colleen discuss in their blog, which they tasted pre-malo. The wines were all terrific, bright with loads of fruit. The Vosne-Romanée was especially impressive. This was my first taste of the 2012 vintage. I was very impressed with how ripe and delicious it is. Below is a photo of Nicholas in David’s cave.

David is quite a student of Burgundy and history. He said something which I have wondered about. In the past it was the hot years that were the best in Burgundy. The average weather was on the cool side for a great vintage. Now the average weather is about right to even a little hot, so the cooler years can be the great ones.

This year certainly has started cool. The grapes are a whole month behind. I mentioned in an earlier post that flowering started on June 19th. Here it is July 4th (oh it is July 4th!) already and still there are flowers. I snapped this photo tonight. So with a spread out flowering of the vines it might mean that the grapes don’t all mature at the same time, requiring careful sorting to avoid immature fruit. But this also means the harvest will be late (100 days after flowering) estimated September 28th. This could mean a cool finish for the grapes, and using David’s thoughts above - a great vintage. It could however mean, the wet cold rainy fall weather arrives and...... But at least for now it helps us in the race to get the Maison ready for 2013.

À bientôt
Gary

< Message edited by gharbour -- 8/29/2013 3:43:11 AM >

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune
Post #: 1
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - 7/5/2013 9:39:48 AM   
kwaky

Definitely keep the story going. This is really interesting stuff, fully behind the scenes with all the gory details. This makes my house renovation look like a walk in the park, at least we have gas, elec and drainage already there!

Good luck!

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 2
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - 7/5/2013 7:34:01 PM   
khmark7

Despite our cool spring I still had flowering around June 1st for most varieties in my yard. I expect to bring in grapes around Labor Day through September. Next year I am planting a Pinot Gris, but no Pinot Noir, yet....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to kwaky)
Post #: 3
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - 7/5/2013 11:41:54 PM   
gharbour

Hi KWaky,

Glad you are enjoying the post. There is certainly never a dull moment here. Yesterday the water company showed up to turn the water on and the guy broke the water pipe on their side of valve in the house. He hadn't turned the water off at street before beginning to work. Then he quickly went to the street to turn it off and found the street pavers had covered it on Tuesday when they paved. He had to use a metal detector to find it and then dig it up. Where is the house you are redoing?

Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to kwaky)
Post #: 4
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - 7/5/2013 11:42:53 PM   
gharbour

Hi KHMark7,

Where are your vines?

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - 7/6/2013 3:50:07 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: gharbour

Hi KHMark7,

Where are your vines?

Chateau my yard.

There are a few of us who grow grapes (mostly wine grapes) on our own and post about it, or lament about it, on the "growing your own grapes thread". I'm growing a large eclectic mix of European, hybrids, and American grapes.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 4 - Shopping for Equipment Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI