CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Summer Adventure in Burgundy 6.1 - Savigny En Tous Sens

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 6.1 - Savigny En Tous Sens Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summer Adventure in Burgundy 6.1 - Savigny En Tous Sens - 7/20/2013 12:34:30 PM   
gharbour

This series of posts is the continuing saga of a father helping his son (Nicholas) and daughter-in-law (Colleen) realize their dream of starting a winery (www.MaisonHarbour.com) in Burgundy, France. If you didn’t catch my earlier posts please look beneath the title of this post to find ” View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)” and select “in all forums”.

Today there is a small update (6.1) for the week as it was the annual Balade Gourmande of the village of Savigny-les-Beaune (savigny-entoussens.com). If you haven’t been on a Balade Gourmande think about a hike of 5 km through the vineyards with a stop for a bite and a few glasses of wine every 750 meters or so. Twenty wine makers in the village have their wines at multiple stations. The first stop was Aligoté paired with jambon persillé (ham hock with parsley flecked jelly). Below is our group this year: my wife Leslie, our neighbors in Savigny Evelyne, myself, and Evelyne’s husband Pierre at the first station.

This was followed by various Chardonnays at the next stop with Gambas avec Ananas (Shrimp with Pineapple on a skewer) and Salmon in Jelly. The third stop was Village Reds with a skewer of Steak and Foie Gras. Next stop was 20 different 1er Crus with Chèvre on baguette. Then the Cousins de Bourgogne alway have a stop with old wines and fromage (cheese). This year they were a 1992 and 1988 Savigny Village Réserve. Here Leslie and I are with our Cousins (“All Gentlemen are Cousins”) having a glass.

The Cousinerie de Bourgogne (Confrerie-Cousineriedebourgogne.com).

Finally this year, as usual, the last stop is Crémant, which is so fresh and cool it’s a welcome reprieve from the walk through the vineyards of Savigny on a nice summer day. Here are Leslie and Evelyne with Carolina and Gregory Georger of Domaine Parigot & Richard Crémant (http://www.cremant-parigot.com/en/) who welcomed us.

A Bientôt,
Gary

< Message edited by gharbour -- 8/29/2013 3:47:19 AM >

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune
Post #: 1
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 6.1 - 7/21/2013 8:30:58 AM   
wadcorp

Now that's a proper hike.

Fun photos!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 2
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 6.1 - 7/21/2013 2:19:16 PM   
mjobtx

And here I was feeling sorry for all the work you have had to do. Now I get it.

PlanoWino

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 3
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 6.1 - 7/21/2013 10:10:21 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

Now that's a proper hike.

Fun photos!

Phil, Ahhh yes. The Balade Gourmands are a nice way to get your exercise in! They came to Burgundy from Italy's Piedmont area in 1996 when the first was held in Ladoix. Today many villages in Burgundy and across Europe hold one during the summer months. Ladoix's is still the biggest in Burgundy (below are some of their numbers). In contrast Savigny is only about 300 participants.

3000 participants
180 volunteers
3000 bottles of wine
600 bottles of sparkling wine
3500 liters of water
6500 gougères
1500 baguettes

If you are planning on coming to Europe for a visit try to work in a Balade Gourmand. You can find the schedule for the year at this link: www.baladesgourmandes.com for dozens of Balades across Europe.

Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 4
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 6.1 - 7/21/2013 10:15:59 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjobtx

And here I was feeling sorry for all the work you have had to do. Now I get it.

Michael,

Now don't get the wrong idea. It's not all fun and relaxation here. The boss (Nicholas) works me pretty hard. I spent the morning before the Balade cutting the remaining bolts off the staves of the small press with a hacksaw! Ok so maybe it is all fun.

Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 6.1 - Savigny En Tous Sens Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI