CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 6:17:37 AM   
gharbour

This series of posts is the continuing saga of a father helping his son (Nicholas) and daughter-in-law (Colleen) realize their dream of starting a winery (www.MaisonHarbour.com) in Burgundy, France. If you didn’t catch my earlier posts please look beneath the title of this post to find ” View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)” and select “in all forums”.

Disaster Strikes Burgundy

Hail hits and it is devastating. Hail is one of the main threats to grapes. Nicholas and I were leaving Savigny on Tuesday after lunch when we saw behind us a big dark storm coming over the Côte. We stopped and took pictures even though it was still up on the Hautes Côtes (high hills) but obviously coming this way.

We went on to a lumber yard on the south end of Beaune and it hit us there. It was truly a violent storm. The hail stones were the size of nickels and the wind was strong. Every thing was flooded. The storm was especially bad because it was so wide (hitting many appelations) and long (the hail lasted 20 minutes or more). Also, most of the vines had recently been trimmed reducing the leaf coverage.

We tried to drive home past a vineyard Nicholas and Colleen were ready to make an offer on but there was too much water coming off the Côte. Photo from Nicholas Rossignol. See his facebook page for many more (https://www.facebook.com/domaine.nicolasrossignol).

When we got home it was clear there had been much damage to the vineyards. At my house my grapes were trashed. Even the beautiful and protected bunch that I had followed for this post over the weeks shows significant breakage.

But the rest of the grapes which were more exposed look like this.

In Savigny and Pernand-Vergelesse, where the storm first hit, people are saying 15-50% loss of the grapes. But I saw a vineyard in Pernand that was totaled, the vines completely stripped. The bundle below is in Savigny 1er Cru Aux Guettes.

In the southern part of Beaune, Pommard, and Volnay, the reports are worse with up to 90% loss reported. That seems to be the extent of the damage from Pernand-Vergelesse down to Volnay and Meursault but sparing the Côte de Nuits.

All of the grapes with breaks or severe bruises are lost and will shrivel. They will have to be removed as well as possible from the remaining grapes during sorting. I am not sure how people with contracts for grapes to let and take are going to react. It will certainly take a lot more work to sort grapes given the damage done to major parts of the clusters. The yields will be low. With stock already low from the last three years this won't help. The prices for Burgundy will probably go up.

Nicholas and Colleen are waiting now to see where they are. They have put a lot of time (school) and money and themselves into the venture. I know they won't give up and I know they will succeed in making great wines.

A Bientôt,
Gary

< Message edited by gharbour -- 7/24/2013 12:31:22 PM >

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune
Post #: 1
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 6:53:15 AM   
recotte

Gary,

Thanks for the update. Heartbreaking news. Mother Nature can sure be a harsh mistress at times.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 2
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 7:01:04 AM   
f22nickell

Wow, so unfortunate.

I can't imagine trying to run a business where so much of your livelihood is outside your own control, especially a business with so much soul and passion placed in to it.

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 3
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 7:44:47 AM   
S1

it just makes my heart hurt

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 4
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 8:19:53 AM   
Redrunners

Sorry to hear about your weather challenges.
Mother nature can be cruel at times.

Hopefully this will just be one of the stories they tell in 10 years after they have built a very successful and renowned vineyard in Burgundy.

Drinking good wine with good food in the company of friends is one of life's great pleasures.

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 5
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 8:44:08 AM   
Melovino

Wow. This is tough, really tough. I admire all of you for taking on this dream (along with the challenges). Being a diehard fan of Burgundy, I've been really enjoying the posts. Please continue to keep us updated.

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 6
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 8:56:21 AM   
S1

for those who don't follow Burgundy, many of these plots are owned by small growers. If you have visions of Bordeaux-styled chateaux everywhere, you're not even close. Most of these people live in very humble houses. Many sell all their fruit and make no wine of their own, which means they obviously don't have reserves to sell. Three consecutive vintages with little to no grapes to sell could be backbreaking to many.
I know that we have farmers all over the world who suffer this way, but since this is a wine forum...

BTW, the weekend forecast is for a heat wave (mid 90s F), with little shade for remaining grapes since the canopy would have been shredded by the hail.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to Redrunners)
Post #: 7
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 10:08:09 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

This is certainly devastating and sad news.  

When f22nickell was over here a week or so ago we talked with a grape farmer about the affect of hail, and one thing he mentioned that I'd never thought of was the affect on next years potential crop.   The damaged vines/canopy from this summer, if damaged, will strive to survive and in doing so may produce another round of buds and flowers in 2013.  These fruits never have a chance to make real fruit in 2013, but is strengthens the trunk of the plant.  This gets the plant out of sequence though, and a new crops in spring 2014 gets delayed or stunted growth.  So the farmer have to prune extra hard rather than pick during a hail year with no return on that labor until (hopefully) the following year.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 8
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 10:37:00 AM   
JerryL

That is heart-breaking. Best of luck.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 9
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 10:41:15 AM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

When f22nickell was over here a week or so ago we talked with a grape farmer about the affect of hail, and one thing he mentioned that I'd never thought of was the affect on next years potential crop.   The damaged vines/canopy from this summer, if damaged, will strive to survive and in doing so may produce another round of buds and flowers in 2013.  These fruits never have a chance to make real fruit in 2013, but is strengthens the trunk of the plant.  This gets the plant out of sequence though, and a new crops in spring 2014 gets delayed or stunted growth.  So the farmer have to prune extra hard rather than pick during a hail year with no return on that labor until (hopefully) the following year.

All,

Thank you every for your heart felt sympathies for all the Côte de Beaune vignerons. Nicholas and I checked out many vineyards today and the losses are huge. For the vineyard we checked most carefully we estimated a 2/3 loss. It will probably be more because many of the remaining bunches have broken stems and will die. Chris is exactly right that the impact will be felt for a couple of years for sure. As explained to me by Nicholas and Colleen, the baguette (long fruiting branch) must be attached to the wire this winter. Since most of the branches have sever hail damage, many will break in this process. If a vine ends up with out a baguette (because they all broke) then no fruit next year! A weak baugette less fruit. The courson (short branch) left will produce the new baguette next year. If this is damaged the fruit 2 years from now could be affected.

Gary

< Message edited by gharbour -- 7/24/2013 12:35:39 PM >

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 10
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 11:46:25 AM   
musedir

This news and the resulting damage to the crops and vines is heartbreaking... So very sorry. You really have to be made of strong stuff to be a farmer.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 11
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 12:52:20 PM   
bretrooks

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

This news and the resulting damage to the crops and vines is heartbreaking... So very sorry. You really have to be made of strong stuff to be a farmer.

+1

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 12
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 5:41:47 PM   
Paul S

Very sad - I wish you and your family all the best. This seems to be two vintages in a row now with dramatically reduced yields.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 13
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 6:24:19 PM   
hellowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Or you know, in the US, have crop insurance... How does that work in France anyway?

I'm so sorry for the loss of the grapes this year. It's really hard to hear that it's going to be a 2-year recovery from the storms. I really hope Maison Harbour comes through this ok.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 14
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 6:30:04 PM   
Eddie

Saturday's forecast high temperature (via Weatherunderground.com) for Beaune is 99 degrees F. Nature is not kind to Burgundy this year.

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to hellowine)
Post #: 15
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 7:04:17 PM   
champagneinhand

Mother Nature can be a cruel Muse! I've grown grapes for five years. I don't see how anybody could rely on this for a living. Its hard work and without any mistakes on one's part, disaster can strike any given year..Spring, Summer or Fall. I do feel for them.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 16
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/24/2013 7:11:00 PM   
Franklin 10

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paul S

Very sad - I wish you and your family all the best.

+1

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 17
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/25/2013 1:13:10 AM   
gharbour

Hi All,

Thanks again for your support of the vignerons in the Côte de Beaune. I do want to point out that at this point it is really a yield loss issue. The grapes that remain can still make great wine. It depends on what happens the rest of the year. Good weather and avoiding disease are key. But with careful sorting the affected grapes can be removed and the wine can be great. Also remember that the Côte de Nuits was not impacted as well as portions of the Côte de Beaune. Even those area's impacted have varying degrees of loss. So while it will impact Burgundy (as many have pointed out well beyond the growers) don't give up on the vintage! I know Nicholas and Colleen haven't!

Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 18
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/25/2013 1:50:17 AM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

All,

Thank you every for your heart felt sympathies for all the Côte de Beaune vignerons. Nicholas and I checked out many vineyards today and the losses are huge. For the vineyard we checked most carefully we estimated a 2/3 loss. It will probably be more because many of the remaining bunches have broken stems and will die. Chris is exactly right that the impact will be felt for a couple of years for sure. As explained to me by Nicholas and Colleen, the baguette (long fruiting branch) must be attached to the wire this winter. Since most of the branches have sever hail damage, many will break in this process. If a vine ends up with out a baguette (because they all broke) then no fruit next year! A weak baugette less fruit. The courson (short branch) left will produce the new baguette next year. If this is damaged the fruit 2 years from now could be affected.

Gary

Noticed that in the above pictures that the leaves didn't look so bad, so perhaps the vines won't push new buds. By comparison I have a good share of leaves stripped by the Japanese Beetles, but without damage to the fruit or stems.

Interesting to see how fast the fruit had matured in such a short time given this year was a delayed season. Pinot Noir is thin skinned, so hail is worse there than it would be in my yard.

Hopefully the vines will recover. There is still time.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 19
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/25/2013 4:13:55 AM   
wadcorp

Really sorry to hear of the hail damage. It seems to be epidemic in France this year.

Hoping for good luck with the remaining grapes.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 20
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/25/2013 12:09:23 PM   
khmark7

Decanter is reporting that officials are again looking into anti-hail methods such as cloud seeding. Does that strike anyone as interventionalist for this region?? What would the Monks say about this?

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 21
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/25/2013 3:23:34 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Decanter is reporting that officials are again looking into anti-hail methods such as cloud seeding. Does that strike anyone as interventionalist for this region?? What would the Monks say about this?

Cloud seeding is not super reliable, at best. Humans messing with nature can make things worse, rather than better. It does seem very interventionist. Maybe its just a government media release to let those suffering know they are not alone. Sometimes this can help the mental anguish.

I still don't understand the monk thing. Dedicate your life to God, and then make wine for the rest of your years. I don't think that option exists any longer. Sounds like a pretty good alternative for life in the 17th century.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 22
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/25/2013 4:47:22 PM   
mjobtx

Looks like Burgundy is in for two bad years in a row. Last year, yields were way down for most because of climate; fruit picked later than normal. This year there was no Spring. Rainy, cool weather for months; now hail. It will be tough for the growers and wine makers with two tough years in a row.

PlanoWino

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 23
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/28/2013 7:38:26 AM   
gharbour

A couple of people have asked about "Crop Insurance" like the US government sells at low cost to US farmers. There is no such government insurance program in France. A few growers have private insurance, but it is very expense. In Savigny less that a handful of growers have it. Losses are confirmed as high from Pernand to Muersault.

Also there was a comment about cloud seeding. There was meeting for all the growers in the Pommard, Volnay, Muersault area and cloud seeding was discussed (not for the first time). A friend of mine told me it can work, but it can also cause the hail to fall somewhere else and cause unintended damage.

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to mjobtx)
Post #: 24
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 7/28/2013 11:05:07 AM   
SkeBum

Mother Nature bats first in the batting order and also bats clean up. Gary, I hope things get better over there, the pictures were sobering to say the least.

(in reply to gharbour)
Post #: 25
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 8/6/2013 9:42:56 AM   
Eddie

Any updates on this situation?

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to SkeBum)
Post #: 26
RE: Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes - 8/6/2013 1:06:02 PM   
gharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

Any updates on this situation?

Yes Eddie, please see "Summer Adventure in Burgundy 8 - Starting Again"

Best Regards and Thanks for Following,
Gary

Gary Harbour
Chez Nos Coeurs
Savigny les Beaune

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Summer Adventure in Burgundy 7 Disaster Strikes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI