CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/27/2016 5:22:29 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Scott - looks like i might have to experiment, in the name of science of course. Ideally i would like to drink a 375 ml of Sauternes over a week, without having to stab the cork multiple times if i don't need to.

I like the Everclear idea, but wouldn't water work just fine??

I went with Everclear as it will be a more efficient solvent than water, and it will also evaporate more proficiently. Plus I feel like a tough guy walking out of the liquor store with a pint of Grain alcohol in my paper bag...

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 181
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/28/2016 5:46:32 AM   
mclancy10006

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Scott - looks like i might have to experiment, in the name of science of course. Ideally i would like to drink a 375 ml of Sauternes over a week, without having to stab the cork multiple times if i don't need to.

I like the Everclear idea, but wouldn't water work just fine??

I went with Everclear as it will be a more efficient solvent than water, and it will also evaporate more proficiently. Plus I feel like a tough guy walking out of the liquor store with a pint of Grain alcohol in my paper bag...

wimp only a pint! Just kidding you can't even buy it here. http://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/10-things-didnt-know-about-everclear

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 182
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/28/2016 9:12:24 AM   
Rackit

Are others doing this so that they can buy cheaper cartridges?
Works great. Just need to soak a used cartridge overnight in some acetone.
[image]coravin cap hack by Miles West, on Flickr[/image]

"Anyone who tries to tell you they know everything about wine is obviously a fake" - Leon Adams

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 183
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/28/2016 12:57:10 PM   
mikes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rackit

I haven't tried it yet, but I am saving my used cartridges for this purpose. Do you have a link to the cheaper ones you've been using?

(in reply to Rackit)
Post #: 184
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/28/2016 1:06:42 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

Yes. I was able to get the plastic cap off the Coravin cartridge with a couple pairs of channel lock pliers, but I'm sure the acetone works well.

I've been purchasing the Preservino Argon cartridges on Amazon, they have worked fine. The first time you have to push the plastic cap onto the Preservino as they are unthreaded, but after a time or two the plastic threads compress down and it isn't an issue.

(in reply to Rackit)
Post #: 185
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/28/2016 1:13:57 PM   
Rackit

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikes

quote:

I haven't tried it yet, but I am saving my used cartridges for this purpose. Do you have a link to the cheaper ones you've been using?

The box I have says Wine Innovations on it. Comes in a 10 pack.
Not sure if the Pek cartridges work, but it looks like they should and they're even less $$$.

"Anyone who tries to tell you they know everything about wine is obviously a fake" - Leon Adams

(in reply to mikes)
Post #: 186
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/28/2016 1:15:39 PM   
Rackit

quote:

quote:

Yes. I was able to get the plastic cap off the Coravin cartridge with a couple pairs of channel lock pliers, but I'm sure the acetone works well.

I've been purchasing the Preservino Argon cartridges on Amazon, they have worked fine. The first time you have to push the plastic cap onto the Preservino as they are unthreaded, but after a time or two the plastic threads compress down and it isn't an issue.

The ones I use say Wine Innovations on the box and the cartridges ARE threaded. Easy Peeeezy!

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 187
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/30/2016 5:49:54 PM   
Efrain

quote:

quote:

quote:

The ones I use say Wine Innovations on the box and the cartridges ARE threaded. Easy Peeeezy!

This has worked for me with the original Coravin model. Just curious if the new versions of the Coravin also allow you to use other cartriges. Anyone know?

(in reply to Rackit)
Post #: 188
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/30/2016 6:46:31 PM   
Rackit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Efrain

quote:

quote:

quote:

This has worked for me with the original Coravin model. Just curious if the new versions of the Coravin also allow you to use other cartriges. Anyone know?

I'm doing it with the second version of the Coravin.

(in reply to Efrain)
Post #: 189
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/14/2017 9:51:32 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Reviving an old thread to ask...

What do you think of the Coravin TV ad, where their sales pitch is to (paraphrased) "keep the wine fresh for that first sip, because it won't be as fresh later on day two"?

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to Rackit)
Post #: 190
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/14/2017 10:46:45 AM   
bmuir40

I am a heavy Coravin user (2-3 times a week), and I found one thing that does NOT work
very well.

I left the Coravin in the cork, while drinking a full glass. I did this on the off chance I
wanted to pour a second glass, and wouldn't have to re-stab again. I'd say it was in the cork
for 30 min.

I pulled it out, and waited a while (maybe 2 hours), and tipped the bottle on it's side.
Wine poured out of the hole. It seems the cork retained a memory of the needle, and
did not re-seal. I didn't want to drink any more that night, and lost the rest of the bottle.

So now I have no fear of re-stabbing multiple times.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 191
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 12/14/2017 11:06:15 AM   
EugeneDiNapoli

I use Corvin a lot too. I have found that there is a change in the wine the next time it is accessed especially if more than 250mls were caravanned the first time. Its not that the wine has gone bad, its still good, its just different than the first time it was accessed. Its a little more open, like it has been decanted but less so than if the cork had been removed and the bottle had been vacuumed sealed and put in the fridge. Obviously, its less noticeable for bigger wines. Great device and has really changed my drinking habits.

(in reply to bmuir40)
Post #: 192
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/2/2018 1:22:24 PM   
SWHighlander

I've had my Coravin for about 2 years and use it frequently. It's one of the best presents I ever got from my wife. That said, it's a risk. I've accessed a bottle, waited several months, and then pulled the cork on it and re-tasted it -- along side an identical, previously un-accessed bottle. There is a difference that I can taste in about 1/3 to 1/5 of the bottles. Sometimes a subtle aeration (oxidation) that is not a bad thing in what it does to the wine, but sometimes its too much and on rare occasions the wine is ruined. The majority of wines I've accessed and then later tasted taste like they've never had a needle in it, though. It seems a bigger risk with a older cork. I personally would not use it with a 1962 Latour!

A couple of caveats:
1) When you Coravin wine through a needle into a glass, the wine does not get aerated as much as when you pop and pour from the bottle. Sometimes that makes Coravin wine taste a bit tighter and even slightly effervescent (?from the Argon). That seems to dissipate quickly, say the first 5 -15 minutes. Most of the time I don't notice this effect, though.

2) You have to really be sure what kind of cork you are putting the needle into. The company suggests you don't even need to remove the foil wrap over the cork -- just the put the needle through it. But if you try to put a needle through a fake cork or worse, a half cork like what is used for LBV port, you'll ruin the needle. And that is a $70 mistake!

< Message edited by SWHighlander -- 1/2/2018 1:24:01 PM >

(in reply to EugeneDiNapoli)
Post #: 193
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/2/2018 3:45:29 PM   
ob2s

The dense engineered corks, made with real cork bits have little or no memory, ie leak. You can tell when you take the capsule off, it is specked and often convex..... So these must be the cheapest for the cartridge substitutes now @ $4.22 shipped.
Preservino

German Wine ? see GermanWines.us | water nourishes the body, wine nourishes the soul

(in reply to SWHighlander)
Post #: 194
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/2/2018 8:08:01 PM   
ern1

So a unused coravin one model is on Craigslist for 25 bucks. At this price probably not much of a risk but has there been serious upgrades to newer models? Do first generation Coravins still perform adequately? I ve been perusing the thread but just wondering what thoughts you all had.

(in reply to ob2s)
Post #: 195
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/2/2018 8:11:25 PM   
CranBurgundy

Well, I think I can safely say nobody here would go bust over a $25 risk that didn't pan out.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 196
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/2/2018 8:15:08 PM   
ern1

Yeah I know. Just curious if there were any serious design flaws on first model. I need another wine gadget like I need.....well you know how that goes.
quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Well, I think I can safely say nobody here would go bust over a $25 risk that didn't pan out.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 197
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/2/2018 8:16:45 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ern1

I need another wine gadget like I need.....

....another hole in the cork.

There's a better joke for this situation. I just couldn't find it immediately.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 198
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/2/2018 10:01:40 PM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: ern1

So a unused coravin one model is on Craigslist for 25 bucks. At this price probably not much of a risk but has there been serious upgrades to newer models? Do first generation Coravins still perform adequately? I ve been perusing the thread but just wondering what thoughts you all had.

I've got a Gen 1 Coravin, I'm not up to speed on any other upgrades except now I think they have a larger bore needle as an option or possibly included. I've stuck with the small needle for the aforementioned issues of cork memory and weeping from the hole. For this reason I usually keep a supply of toothpicks handy, and just simply plug the hole and break it off.

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 199
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/3/2018 7:46:06 PM   
Sourdough

Good idea Hollowine. Weeping has been my biggest complaint on Coravin and that is a great idea that should solve any problems I have had.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 200
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/3/2018 7:48:44 PM   
ern1

Well I went all "big spender" and threw down the 25 bones for the Coravin. Now we ll see if I am smart enough to operate it.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 201
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/3/2018 8:47:33 PM   
sinebubble

The toothpick idea is interesting. I recently left a needle in for a bit longer than normal and it left a noticeable hole. Not sure how far down it went, so I melted some candle wax over it.

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 202
RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? - 1/3/2018 8:54:39 PM   
CranBurgundy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyZJDBUzWc

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to sinebubble)
Post #: 203
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Coravin - Does it Truly Work ? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI