CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Sochi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sochi Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 10:12:36 AM   
Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

I was having this conversation with my wife the other day...the IOC along with FIFA need to stop being delusional. You can't easily "spread" these international games around. It's incredibly expensive and, these days, comes with a certain amount of social responsibility. If your country doesn't already have the infrastructure in place (stadia, hospitality, transportation, social services, etc) at least for the most part, it's downright irresponsible (read: reckless) for you to host the games. It's that simple.

While I can't fault the logic of this post, I am inclined to disagree. The IOC and FIFA are two separate issues, but in regards to football (soccer) and the World Cup, Brazilians are mad about the sport; have already won the damn thing five times, and have only been hosts once...I would say they deserve to host it again, and I'm sure they will do a great job.

The UK and USA have hosted this once each; both have the infrastructure but based on player performance, they really don't deserve to host it again any time soon, let's be honest! Most Americans aren't even that much interested in the sport anyway.

Looking forwards, I see no problem with the World Cup being awarded to Russia either, though like almost everyone else the award to Qatar disgusts me. And must we ask how on earth Mexico got to do it twice already??

Regarding new infrastructure and the Olympics; sometimes it works (in Barcelona spectacularly so, and I do believe the new stuff in London will work eventually), quite often it doesn't (no need to give examples here!) but, no disrespect intended, it would be a dull dull world if we had to hold these events in G7 locations every time ('coz that's what you are talking about).

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 31
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 10:21:02 AM   
annerk

Soccer is quickly growing in popularity in the US. Orlando now has a pro team that we are building a new stadium for!

There are non G7 countries who would be capable of successfully hosting the Olympics--I think Korea will do a great job, as would any number of non G7 EU countries.

The IOC needs to begin to be more realistic about the hosts capabilities in terms of both financial commitment as well as infrastructure demands when awarding sites. If a country is already unable to provide reasonable infrastructure/sanitation for a good number of it's citizens, what makes them think they will be able to handle an influx of a quarter million guests?

https://www.instagram.com/whattheducktravel

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 32
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 11:20:27 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

Most Americans aren't even that much interested in the sport anyway.

You might want to revisit this a bit. According to surveys, money spent, etc... Soccer just passed Hockey as the 4th most popular sport behind Football, Baseball and Basketball in order. In addition as of close of the last sales phase in December the USA had bought more tickets to the World Cup in Brazil than any other nation other than the host nation of Brazil itself. This is a repeat of the cup in South Africa. The US bought more tickets than any other nation behind the host nation of South Africa. We have our own professional league that is expanding again in the coming year (or two). We now have players that play abroad in the EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A, etc... Feel free to fly over sometime and I'll take you to any number of taverns in the area that show overseas games full of fans watching the games together.

We may not be there but we are getting there. Rapidly. Beware.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 33
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 11:45:07 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

To continue the thread drift, I'm not a big football (soccer) fan, but the U.S culture over the last 20 years or so has very much migrated to the sport on a grass roots level.  There is even a cliché now, "Soccer Mom", and where there are moms there are millions of kids learning the game, often over baseball, football(American style), or basketball.  I think the waves of U.S. athletes in their teens and twenties is probably just now beginning to crest, so talent and competition levels are vastly increasing. 

As an example, I'd wager when I went to high school in Tennessee 30-35 years ago there were maybe 5 high school soccer programs in the state at few private schools.  I just looked it up and today there are 202 Boy's programs and  even more, 257 Girl's programs.   An explosion of interest that 20 years from NOW, will likely overtake at least a couple of the other sports wiml mentions.  

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 2/7/2014 11:50:25 AM >

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 34
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 11:49:55 AM   
annerk

I grew up in Upstate NY, and even 40 years ago, soccer was a big sport. Pele was revered. We had many organized soccer leagues, the one in my town had over 1500 participants.

Soccer continues to be a huge sport--I'd even say a more dominant one--in the Northeast as well as California, Florida, and many other parts of the country.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 35
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 11:58:00 AM   
wineismylife

Add to all of that recent surveys of parents that show the majority would not encourage their children to play American Football because of head trauma issues that have been heavily reported int he media as of late and I think you'll find in the years to come that soccer will gain even more ground at a faster clip.

By the way, baseball is sliding (no pun intended). Surveys are showing most youth today don't want to sit there and watch a 4 plus hour snorefest with huge gaps between the action that keeps their attention. Baseball needs to earnestly search for change that'll recoup those youth or they'll slip to third before too many years pass.

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 36
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 12:12:10 PM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Add to all of that recent surveys of parents that show the majority would not encourage their children to play American Football because of head trauma issues that have been heavily reported int he media as of late and I think you'll find in the years to come that soccer will gain even more ground at a faster clip.

By the way, baseball is sliding (no pun intended). Surveys are showing most youth today don't want to sit there and watch a 4 plus hour snorefest with huge gaps between the action that keeps their attention. Baseball needs to earnestly search for change that'll recoup those youth or they'll slip to third before too many years pass.

With NASCAR as #1 and NFL as #2, isn't MLB already #3?

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 37
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 1:06:30 PM   
Robert Pavlovich

quote:

ORIGINAL: annerk

Depends how you measure them...for TV ratings I'm pretty sure the NBA has passed MLB, which is on the decline.

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 38
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 1:14:23 PM   
annerk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich

quote:

Depends how you measure them...for TV ratings I'm pretty sure the NBA has passed MLB, which is on the decline.

Probably. The Yankees caused part of that problem, but that's another thread.

(in reply to Robert Pavlovich)
Post #: 39
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 3:37:21 PM   
J2K

Opening ceremony tonight!!

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 40
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 5:00:42 PM   
JerryL

This year we had a Seattle Sounders game with more attendees on Wednesday, than the SuperBowl champion Seahawks had on the following Sunday!

OK, both games were sellouts, but the Sounders squeezed in a few more fans.

(in reply to J2K)
Post #: 41
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 5:05:56 PM   
musedir

Apollo just said Go hawks!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to JerryL)
Post #: 42
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 6:01:01 PM   
musedir

Interesting walk of athletes. Cayman Islands, 1 athlete.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 43
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 6:27:29 PM   
jrockman

quote:

ORIGINAL: JerryL

This year we had a Seattle Sounders game with more attendees on Wednesday, than the SuperBowl champion Seahawks had on the following Sunday!

OK, both games were sellouts, but the Sounders squeezed in a few more fans.

I think the Sounders average attendance is about double that of the Mariners.

(in reply to JerryL)
Post #: 44
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 6:29:13 PM   
J2K

Just saw 3 "Independent" athletes.......hmmm

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 45
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 6:41:57 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Robert Pavlovich

quote:

NBA??? Doubt that. You couldn't pay me to watch or attend an NBA game.

So far Opening Ceremony has been nice.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 46
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 6:48:54 PM   
musedir

National pride. Well done! Of course we cut to a commercial during the Russian athletes walk. So obvious.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 47
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 6:58:14 PM   
khmark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

National pride. Well done! Of course we cut to a commercial during the Russian athletes walk. So obvious.

I rather liked the Russian outfits, they were much better than the American wardrobe.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 48
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 7:02:37 PM   
kcbrian

Yep.....the Russians looked great! Hope everyone participating has a great experience!

Brian

There can't be good living where there is not good drinking.-Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 49
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 7:09:12 PM   
musedir

Stunning!

(in reply to kcbrian)
Post #: 50
RE: Sochi - 2/7/2014 11:44:04 PM   
champagneinhand

I did like the Russian skaters, but I really thought the canucks out did them or were at least as good. The technical part was just as hard and they had such fluid-like motions so they should not have had a full 10 point spread. I guess thats the home field advantage, and the fact that they Russian guy seemed to be the only guy hoisting o woman taller than 5'. still I thought a 10 point difference was pretty bad. The Americans looked horrid as did the Japanese. the Japanese girl looked like she was wrapped in a large ACE bandage all the way up to here outfit. Strange looking and neigh of these two teams had the grace or difficulties that the Russian and Canadian teams had.

On a different note the skiers in the moguls are always awesome to watch. i used to love moguls back in the day. Watching the hips and knees move so effortlessly is amazing. I don't know if I am a fan of the new snowboarding. I do wonder if snowboarders are exempt from the drug tests. Disappointed that Shaun (Sean?) White backed out, as he really makes snowboarding look amazing. Not really impressed with the opening ceremonies. Already we have heard about a hijacking where they intended to fly into Sochi, but that didn't work out well. Have seen the announcer that was bitten by bedbugs and has an eye infection after only one night announcing in Sochi. Not very fun.

On the futbol, soccer thing. I think FIFA looks at the USA as the biggest, untapped athlete pool, as like others have mentioned, parents are discouraging kids from the American football, though Hockey still remains strong. With a growing Latino population, we see MLS teams in places previously thought unable to support large franchises. SLC has Real SLC and it is sold out most games. Baseball really doesn't do well on the networks and is relegated to playoff baseball or channels like YES (Yankees) or MSG (madison Square Garden) showing Yankee away games, some Mets... I liken it to NCAA basketball, where the regular season is fine for die hard fans that have television or court side access, but it really ramps up for the tournaments and March Madness. Same goes for the NBA. The same might be said of the NHL, as Stanley cup playoffs are perhaps the greatest playoff games. In Rochester, upstate NY, we not only have a pro men's team, but a ladies team, as this is home of Abby Waumbach. They have a Stadium that is as good as a newer AAA baseball team. Futbol, like Hockey and baseball is always better when you can attend the games. We also have lacrosse, but its played at the Soccer stadium. The investment in these two stadiums was really boosted by putting loads of various food into the bases, as well as corporate/party boxes. I think as more people open up to soccer/futbol and learn the rules, just like hockey, it becomes much more fun. its easier to follow on the television than hockey, but similar strategies to basketball and hockey, though played in a very different style. We sure sell a load of soccer gear, and that has a lot to do with where FIFA looks at. They have to look to the future of the game. As stated earlier, Brazil has won 5 times, they aren't going to stop playing or lose interest if the World Cup is hosted outside south America. The America's like Europe and Asia have their own cup challenges.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 51
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 7:38:43 AM   
lockestep

NBC is really, really brutal.
The announcers are adding zero to the experience. For example, the snowboarding announcers last night alternated between saying "Only the top four advance" )I stopped counting after six times in ten minutes) and obviously forced side comments "You know, he hurt his rib, and now they are calling him McRib".
Don't even get me started on the "grand experiment" of Stalinism, which left tens of millions dead.
I think I'll try sound down, music up for today.

My Wine of the Month (2/24)
2016 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 52
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 8:01:41 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: lockestep

The announcers are adding zero to the experience. For example, the snowboarding announcers last night alternated between saying "Only the top four advance" )I stopped counting after six times in ten minutes) and obviously forced side comments "You know, he hurt his rib, and now they are calling him McRib".
Don't even get me started on the "grand experiment" of Stalinism, which left tens of millions dead.
I think I'll try sound down, music up for today.

Agreed the NBC announcer just aren't doing it well. Though I did see some more late yesterday and it was a little better. I wish they had more than just a few of the teams televised. I have to go to the other NBS sports channels to see any other coverage, and although I don't mind watching late night, early morning it can be tough. Enjoyed watching the ladies hockey. My daughter said she couldn't imagine the cross country skiing, as they slowly collapsed so their muscles didn't knot up crossing the finish. I told he to wait for the biathlon to see a bizarre sport.

Gotta say I love the ski jumping. In Lake Placid they have the 1980 facilities and right now the Empire states winter games are on. If you ever get Lake Placid or near Park City, UT, the Olympic museums and tourist places have simulators for bobsleds and the ski jumping. The ski jumping is great. You put on a helmet with screen in front of your eyes, while strapped to pivoting skies. You star and it looks and sound so real, you are just missing the cold snap of the wind as you go down that iced ramp and literally lean as far forward as the ankles, and simulated skies will let you. Yes you don't have to worry about crashing but its great taking. I just wonder how you start in that sport. The bobsledding is equally as impressive. You really feel like you are in the bobsled going on the run.

The Park City Ski result has an Alpine Slide, during the Summers that is a one person wheeled cart going down bob slide like half-pipes. They used to tell you that if you don't use the brake, you will fly off the track. I am sure that tort lawsuits have added extra safety measures and probably scaled back the fun and increased the price. Like the roller Coaster at Ny-Ny in Las Vegas. still thrilling stuff for anybody.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 53
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 8:19:09 AM   
Yossarian

quote:

The US commentary, I am afraid, has a rather low reputation here in the UK.
There was an article today in one of the Sunday UK papers about how anti-Russian a lot of the coverage has been.
It was like the 1980s all over again.
Which is no bad thing if we can have Flock of Seagulls back!

I think FiFa and IOC rather like those semi-benign dictatorship states to host their events - more opportunity to push through regulation allowing corporate sponsorships to encourage our youth to eat more burgers, drink more fizzy drinks and buy sportswear made by 6 year old children in Asian countries. Which is what the olympics is all about really....

Erm...yeah...wine.....woops!

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 54
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 8:19:43 AM   
vinole

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

NASCAR is #1 in terms of live spectators due to its advantages of having a 10 month long season and large venues. A better way to rank a sport's popularity is total revenue, which captures TV contracts, League passes for TV, product licensing, and ticket sales. Here is the ranking by that measure.

NFL $11B
MLB $7B
NBA $5B
English Premier League Soccer $5B
NHL $3.3B
NASCAR $3.1B

(in reply to annerk)
Post #: 55
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 8:27:05 AM   
Robert Pavlovich

The women's short program (figure skating) was a great watch last night. I tuned in to see the Canadien just before Ashley Wagner so was able to see the top 5 performances. The 15 year old Russian girl deserved to win. That was probably the most impressive skating I've ever seen. The Italian deserved 2nd but her number was closer to the Russian's than I would have thought. Then, the surprise, they gave the Japanese skater, who fell, a higher score than Wagner, the American who appeared to have a clean performance. She's a little brash, and while the other performances had classical/romantic music, Wagner was more vitriolic with "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd, which I loved! Anyway, have to believe the judges prefer convention and to quote Wagner, for the skaters to act like "porcelain dolls."

"Blending muddles the message"

-The Burgundian Monks

Post #: 56
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 9:03:41 AM   
lockestep

I am watching the luge on my cell phone - NBC sports app. I will give them kudos for the mobile availability.

Post #: 57
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 9:19:34 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

I am watching the luge on my cell phone - NBC sports app. I will give them kudos for the mobile availability.

I'll have to try that. Not a single channel of Olympics at noon? so sad.

Back to Paul, I read the BBC website for any real news on the international front. Our media is so polarized and really finding anything real is hard.
Its also fun to have the Brits try to describe American football, as its like speaking Mongolian in Antarctic substation.

It shouldn't be this way. We have become very bad internationally. I wish they would show more of the events. Luge is described by Jerry Seinfeld as the one sport, they could compel you to do by force and by luck, you might have a chance of medaling. Like a ride of sheer adrenaline and terror.

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 58
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 4:28:55 PM   
lockestep

Can someone explain why Costas has a gas fireplace and a pile of firewood?

Post #: 59
RE: Sochi - 2/9/2014 4:38:43 PM   
JerryL

Can someone explain why Costas?

(in reply to lockestep)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Sochi Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI