CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Bourbon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Bourbon Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bourbon - 4/2/2014 10:08:29 AM   
vinopkm

So I want to explore bourbon a little more. My only experience with bourbon are bourbon old fashioneds and Woodenville Bourbon.

I have narrowed down to two choices:

Four Roses Single barrel 100PF OBSV 35% Rye 8yrs 8months
http://www.hitimewine.net/FOUR-ROSES-SINGLE-BARREL-750.html

Or

Rowan Creek Bourbon 12yr

I have limited experience and looking to explore & keep it sub $50
Post #: 1
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 10:17:16 AM   
Eddie

If you can find it, try the W. L. Weller 12-year-old. Should be about $26-28 but there is a huge demand for it. When it is allotted to retailers around here, most of it is sold before it hits the shelves.

Also try Noah's Mill. About $45 here locally.

< Message edited by Eddie -- 4/2/2014 12:03:10 PM >

V horam in quodam loco est.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 2
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 10:20:26 AM   
Jack667

I'm also looking to explore Bourbon a bit, but know considerably less than you!

I bought Angel's Envy, based on some limited research, but I haven't tried it yet.

As for four roses, a local store here loves that stuff, and they get involved with some of the single-barrel stuff. We're in GA, so it's probably not something you'd get involved with, but you might find it interesting. Here's the text of a recent e-mail:

=========

Hinton's Wine Store is buying another Four Roses Single Barrel and the samples have arrived. To celebrate this occasion we would like to invite you to a tasting of the Four Roses Single Barrel samples. Your taste will help us decide which sample to stock our shelves with.

If you would like to join me and help us decide which barrel we want to buy please email me back to RSVP. We will also have BBQ Pork sliders to accomodate the bourbon.

Thursday, March 27 from 6:00-7:30.

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 3
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 10:23:51 AM   
bweimer

Start with this family tree:

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

Find out what you prefer and go from there.

< Message edited by bweimer -- 4/2/2014 10:34:57 AM >

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 4
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 11:01:06 AM   
cookiefiend

quote:

ORIGINAL: bweimer

Start with this family tree:

http://www.gq.com/life/food/201311/bourbon-whiskey-family-tree

Find out what you prefer and go from there.

What a cool link!

My favorite bourbon is the Pappy Van Winkle, but it's hard to find/get.
According to the article bweimer linked, Weller's 12 year is a good substitute - but I don't agree... I would try the Eagle Rare or the Buffalo Trace.

Second favorite is Makers Mark. Mr Cookie likes the 46, but I'm good with the regular ole run-of-the-mill Maker's.

Mr Cookie also really likes Bulleit - both the rye and the... uh... not rye. I like the rye with a twist of orange - tastes like Christmas punch!

my 0.02!

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to bweimer)
Post #: 5
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 11:05:10 AM   
oskiwawa

Rowan's Creek is my go to bourbon. Around $35 here. Good stuff. Give it a shot

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 6
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 11:08:24 AM   
caeleric

i'm a big bourbon fan, far more than scotch although i do enjoy scotch more and more these days.

i know far less about bourbon than i do about wine, but i've tried a few. i have enjoyed:
- maker's mark
- lw weller
- bulleit
- four roses (though less than the others)
- jim beam
- buffalo trace

i haven't experienced much with the longer-aged bourbons, or different types of casks/strengths. there are people who are insane about their bourbon like we are insane about our wine! i think for the money, weller is one of the better bourbons i've had. buffalo trace can be had for a song and i've been pretty impressed with it.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 7
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 11:51:37 AM   
JGerbasIII

Eddie has it right.. Find some Weller.

For the two you listed, 4R is the clear winner.

Cheers,
John

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 8
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 12:14:20 PM   
RadoDejarmer

Ahhh, poker night. Usually turns into bourbon tasting.

Of the two you mentioned, I generally prefer Four Roses. It can be palate dependent. Are you going to like a traditional mash, high rye, a wheater, straight rye whiskey? How much cask age? There is lots to explore. I prefer wheaters in the 8 to 18 year old range and rye at 20+.

Last poker night included:
Eagle Rare
Four Roses Single Barrel
Woodford Reserve Four Grain
Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yo Batch 28
FR SB 2013 limited (WOTN)

Eagle Rare and Four Roses SB are great to have around for everyday.

I wish I could get a hold of an Eagle Rare 17yo or a PVW 15yo.

Me: Good night, Garrett.
My son: No. Not Garrett.
Me: Who are you then?
My son: Rado de Jarmer.
Me: ? Ok, goodnight Rado.
Rado didn't last very long.
Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

(in reply to JGerbasIII)
Post #: 9
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 2:50:03 PM   
champagneinhand

No love for the Knob Creek?

Maker's needs to have ice in it for me, as its a wee too sweet, but tasty. Bulleit is what the Bourbon people at Century are pretty happy with these days.

If I was to choose a whiskey I actually like Sour Mash American or Canadian whiskies best, but I tend to get into trouble when downing the amber liquids. I don't know if I like the maple flavored Crown at all, but some think it makes good mixed drink with Irish cream, but I don't want a drink tasting like pancakes. That's just wrong.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to RadoDejarmer)
Post #: 10
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 4:23:28 PM   
caeleric

quote:

ORIGINAL: champagneinhand

No love for the Knob Creek?

Maker's needs to have ice in it for me, as its a wee too sweet, but tasty. Bulleit is what the Bourbon people at Century are pretty happy with these days.

If I was to choose a whiskey I actually like Sour Mash American or Canadian whiskies best, but I tend to get into trouble when downing the amber liquids. I don't know if I like the maple flavored Crown at all, but some think it makes good mixed drink with Irish cream, but I don't want a drink tasting like pancakes. That's just wrong.

knob creek is nice, too. my palate just isn't sophisticated enough to tell much of a difference among them all. never had pappy, though.

i almost exclusively drink my bourbon on the rocks, with an extra splash of water. i find them all too sweet and boozy to be enjoyed neat.

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 11
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 10:28:47 PM   
recotte

Bourbons I've had and enjoyed include:

Knob Creek
Booker's
Woodson Reserve
WhistlePig (10, 11 & 12yr)
Jefferson Presidential 25yr
Four Roses SB

The last three on the list have been in heavier rotation over the last few months.

I like Bulleit & Maker's Mark for mixed drinks like a Speakeasy or Manhattan.

Looks like I need to go find some Weller. Wine-searcher tells me that one of my locals has it. Might be stopping off on the way home tomorrow....

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 12
RE: Bourbon - 4/2/2014 11:20:21 PM   
thesternowl

Wathen's or their Old Medley 12 year...if you can find it. Tremendous bourbon for the money.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 13
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 8:35:48 AM   
vinopkm

Thank you all.

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 14
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 10:35:47 AM   
Old Doug

A story of stupidity: Had never had any Bourbon. 1995, working in eastern Kentucky, nightshift, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. The two guys I was with proposed we have a little party the next morning, so we got a 40 ouncer of Jack Daniels and some beer - one of the guys wanted only beer - and some Coke to mix with. Back at the hotel, the party commenced; lots of laughing and talking about other co-workers that weren't there in the room with us. Kept going, going, going.... Evening came and we had to go back to work. No sleep, and the Jack was all gone; I'd had the vast majority of it. Talk about a rough night.... 19 years later, there still is a 'shudder' factor just in hearing "Bourbon."

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 15
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 10:51:58 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Doug

A story of stupidity: Had never had any Bourbon. 1995, working in eastern Kentucky, nightshift, 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. The two guys I was with proposed we have a little party the next morning, so we got a 40 ouncer of Jack Daniels and some beer - one of the guys wanted only beer - and some Coke to mix with. Back at the hotel, the party commenced; lots of laughing and talking about other co-workers that weren't there in the room with us. Kept going, going, going.... Evening came and we had to go back to work. No sleep, and the Jack was all gone; I'd had the vast majority of it. Talk about a rough night.... 19 years later, there still is a 'shudder' factor just in hearing "Bourbon."

Doug, Jack is Tennessee whiskey, which the folks in Tennessee and Kentucky will let you know are very different. I think the big difference is that the poor the almost finished product through charred barrels, which are like activated charcoal and iy pulls off some of the more bizarre congeners that can cause some weird side effects and some of the more delicate flavors as well.

I had my share of strange events with to much Old No. 7. I had to buy the Opryland Resort and Convention Center a new phone, as I must have destroyed my room phone trying to stop it from ringing early in the morning. Amber liquids can sneak up on you.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 16
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 11:32:40 AM   
Old Doug

Dave, you're right, and I always forget that "Tennessee Whiskey" thing. However, congeners removed or not, plenty 'weird side-effects' remain.

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 17
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 11:57:59 AM   
Eddie

quote:

I have a few "Bourbon and shudder" stories of my own, which account for why I seldom drink the stuff. The first one took place here, which is rather more rugged, and difficult to access, than it appears in the photos:

A comical tale. If we ever meet in person, remind me to tell it to you.

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 18
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 12:15:25 PM   
Old Doug

Eddie, looks like a nice place to keep beer cold, in the winter.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 19
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 6:05:13 PM   
recotte

Stopped by my local on the way home. Despite showing it online, no Weller. Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace "Single Oak Project" instead. We'll see....

(in reply to Old Doug)
Post #: 20
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 6:56:16 PM   
RadoDejarmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Stopped by my local on the way home. Despite showing it online, no Weller. Picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace "Single Oak Project" instead. We'll see....

Which barrel? This is the most comprehensive list of notes I know of on SOP.

Single Oak Project notes

Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 21
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 7:01:10 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: RadoDejarmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Which barrel? This is the most comprehensive list of notes I know of on SOP.

Single Oak Project notes

Barrel #16. Thanks for the link!

Edit: naturally, 16 is one of the few barrels there are no notes on!

< Message edited by recotte -- 4/3/2014 7:04:30 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 7:13:51 PM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie

quote:

I have a few "Bourbon and shudder" stories of my own, which account for why I seldom drink the stuff. The first one took place here, which is rather more rugged, and difficult to access, than it appears in the photos:

A comical tale. If we ever meet in person, remind me to tell it to you.

These are beautiful pictures, and a great place to capture images. When you said a few Bourbon stories, and I see the creek, swimming hole, and I know that Kentucky has a few rural areas....My mid jumped right into "Deliverance." I know that's wrong, but my oldest brother is a Mormon fellow, and went into Kentucky on a Mormon mission back in the 70's. He said that they were chased with shotguns on several occasions while walking the streets of the back country because all the people assumed that 2 white men in suits walking were IRS or "Revenuers." He said they had to shout a few times before going of the main streets to avoid any confusion. I know another guy who went to Italy at the same time. They were thought to be CIA by the Red Brigade. Funny, but my brother met his future wife as he was finishing up his service there. He went back to school and graduated from NKU.

Kentucky is some beautiful country,... except for Paducah, and of course places like Ft. Campbell (Air Assault school) and Ft. Knox. They are beautiful, but because of their purpose of being bases the best parts are only seen, while marching or training in the back country.

Funny my autocorrect spelled congeners properly, but got "if" wrong. Bill Gates must hate me.

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 23
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 7:15:59 PM   
RadoDejarmer

It could be the next release. Round #12?

Now it's Sugar Pie.
Sweetest boy ever.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 24
RE: Bourbon - 4/3/2014 7:16:52 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: RadoDejarmer

It could be the next release. Round #12?

Bingo!

Post #: 25
RE: Bourbon - 4/7/2014 9:18:33 AM   
que syrah syrah

Blanton's Single Barrel. I recently had a rye whiskey Basil Hayden that was also very good. I also like Knob Creek and Maker's Mark. Neat, with a water back.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 26
RE: Bourbon - 6/19/2014 9:01:45 PM   
vinopkm

Loving this stuff-
Four Roses Single Barrel 100PF- love this stuff with a splash of water or ice

Next bottle I purchased was-
Belle Meade Bourbon- tasty stuff -no ice or water for this one and 90PF

I still have a 1/3-1/2 a bottle of each.

Tomorrow purchasing the Rowan's Creek 12 yr old.

Fast becoming a huge Bourbon fan. The GF is still not a huge fan any good Brandy or more Fruit forward Bourbon recommendations?

(in reply to que syrah syrah)
Post #: 27
RE: Bourbon - 6/20/2014 6:40:17 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

The GF is still not a huge fan any good Brandy or more Fruit forward Bourbon recommendations?

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but lowly old Southern Comfort, mixed with either grapefruit or pineapple juice, provides a terrific mixed drink (I suggest this without ice). Maybe your girlfriend would like that.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 28
RE: Bourbon - 9/27/2014 6:29:29 PM   
vinopkm

Updates to the collection:

Rowan's Creek 12yr old- not bad, but nothing special for the money. Would pass on a rebuy and not to my taste. Good but weakest of the bourbons I have tried.
Eagle Rare 10yr- now for $30 this is amazing stuff and worth double the price. Smooth and an extremely well made Bourbon in my limit and humble opinion.

WL Weller -Old Weller Antique 107proof -was just purchased and not tasted yet.
Micther's American Whiskey -was a B-day gift and not tasted yet

In my order of preference:
Eagle Rare -awesome- ice no water
Belle Meade -very good no ice and water
Four Roses Single Barrel 100proof -very good needs ice or splash of water
Rowan's Creek -meh

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 29
RE: Bourbon - 9/28/2014 6:00:57 AM   
Eddie

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

Updates to the collection:

WL Weller -Old Weller Antique 107proof -was just purchased and not tasted yet.
Micther's American Whiskey -was a B-day gift and not tasted yet

Both are excellent. You'll like 'em.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Bourbon Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI