CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Bourbon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bourbon Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bourbon - 3/31/2016 7:29:11 PM   
roguetrader97

x2 for all the Rye mentions.

Rye: the old-world and Pinot drinker's brown liquor.

(in reply to pdemaio)
Post #: 121
RE: Bourbon - 11/4/2016 3:48:40 PM   
vinopkm

Bumping this thread.

(in reply to roguetrader97)
Post #: 122
RE: Bourbon - 11/7/2016 12:37:37 PM   
BRR

A bump, but nothing added? (like me, right now with this post)

Cheers!

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 123
RE: Bourbon - 11/7/2016 8:43:46 PM   
Rackit

I have a cabinet full of different mid priced open bourbon bottles from my ongoing tasting trials.
My go to daily is definitely Eagle Rare 10yr. Great QPR.
If funds are not an issue, there's plenty of the Pappy available on the secondary market. I love the 20yr...when someone else is buying or pouring.
However, for the price, I would always opt for a well aged first growth Bordeaux instead.
Suggest exploring Rye as well. The High West is really nice.

"Anyone who tries to tell you they know everything about wine is obviously a fake" - Leon Adams

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 124
RE: Bourbon - 11/16/2016 11:15:24 AM   
vinopkm

FYI, the local Vons and Safeways in California have the Blantons for $54.99, buy 6 for $49.99. I picked up one for myself, I now have 2 in my bunker.

Now for the fall unicorn hunting: so far I have track down the following 3 bourbons at retail (MSRP)- 2016 Four Roses Elliott Select, 2016 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon & 2016 Thomas Handy Rye (BTAC). My LWS said I'm on the list for either a 2016 ORVW 10yr or 2016 Van Winkle lot B 12yr. (fingers crossed)

(in reply to Rackit)
Post #: 125
RE: Bourbon - 11/16/2016 12:33:05 PM   
fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

FYI, the local Vons and Safeways in California have the Blantons for $54.99, buy 6 for $49.99. I picked up one for myself, I now have 2 in my bunker.

Now for the fall unicorn hunting: so far I have track down the following 3 bourbons at retail (MSRP)- 2016 Four Roses Elliott Select, 2016 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon & 2016 Thomas Handy Rye (BTAC). My LWS said I'm on the list for either a 2016 ORVW 10yr or 2016 Van Winkle lot B 12yr. (fingers crossed)

Hey, actually I feel pretty good about all that, Patrick. When's the tasting? ;)

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 126
RE: Bourbon - 11/16/2016 10:10:03 PM   
vinopkm

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

quote:

ORIGINAL: vinopkm

Hey, actually I feel pretty good about all that, Patrick. When's the tasting? ;)

Roundup the troops!

< Message edited by vinopkm -- 11/16/2016 10:11:00 PM >

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 127
RE: Bourbon - 11/19/2017 5:56:45 PM   
vinopkm

Bourbon- what is everyone drinking this day? Anything fun and new exciting out there?
Good luck hunting during the current "Unicorn" release season.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 128
RE: Bourbon - 11/19/2017 6:39:12 PM   
KPB

I’m not a big Bourbon drinker, but even so, was very impressed by batch 1 from “Spirit Lab” in Charlottesville VA recently. http://spiritlabdistilling.com/single-malt-whiskey-virginia/

But as far as I can tell, the stuff simply cannot be purchased anywhere but in Charlottesville. And the 96 bottles sold out. I had it at a restaurant, Fleuri, quite good. Might be the only way to try it!

If anyone finds a way to buy this stuff, post here. I would love to own a bottle.

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 129
RE: Bourbon - 11/21/2017 6:58:19 AM   
KPB

After posting, I decided to just check with the producer. Turns out that there are a few bottles in Arlington VA at the VA ABC in that area (technically, in Tyson's Corner, about 20m drive from Arlington). I get called down to Washington for funding agency stuff now and then, so perhaps I can get a bottle that way. And if you follow this thread and live down there, you can definitely do so. Apparently it is a "special order" product, and ABC uses a code for them: 953715 for the first batch, which is what I tasted, and 953913 for the second batch.

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 130
RE: Bourbon - 11/21/2017 8:16:27 AM   
hankj

Had the best Rye Whiskey I've ever tasted recently poured at cost from my local pub's break even bottle - Whistlepig 15 year. A perfect archetype of quality Rye but glossy smooth and caramelly from the long aging, with bright, dry stone fruit poking through where the edges had been rounded. So good!

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 131
RE: Bourbon - 3/10/2018 3:46:15 PM   
recotte

I’ve been a fan of Whistle Pig for years. I’m currently slowly making my way through a bottle of their 12 year Old World Cask Finish.

Just finished a bottle of Jefferson’s Presidential Select 25 year. Any time I finish a bottle this good, I feel a twinge of remorse, as I just don’t know if I’ll ever have a chance to have this again.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 132
RE: Bourbon - 3/10/2018 4:50:39 PM   
thesternowl

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

I’ve been a fan of Whistle Pig for years. I’m currently slowly making my way through a bottle of their 12 year Old World Cask Finish.

Just finished a bottle of Jefferson’s Presidential Select 25 year. Any time I finish a bottle this good, I feel a twinge of remorse, as I just don’t know if I’ll ever have a chance to have this again.

Damn Eric! Balla status.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 133
RE: Bourbon - 3/10/2018 7:08:24 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: thesternowl

quote:

Damn Eric! Balla status.

It did not suck.

(in reply to thesternowl)
Post #: 134
RE: Bourbon - 3/13/2018 1:06:52 PM   
Poppacork

When does the bourbon bubble burst?

There has been lots of excitement over bourbon for the past 5-10 years that has driven demand and resulted in more barrels being filled which are now aging in warehouses. Will the demand still be there when these barrels are ready to be dumped?

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 135
RE: Bourbon - 3/13/2018 1:39:09 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poppacork

There has been lots of excitement over bourbon for the past 5-10 years that has driven demand and resulted in more barrels being filled which are now aging in warehouses. Will the demand still be there when these barrels are ready to be dumped?

Excellent question. I've wondered the same as I've wandered through the aisles of my local store. Over the past 10 years, I've watched the share of shelf space ebb and flow between vodka, Scotch and American whiskey. More recently, it looks like tequila is taking some "market share."

I'd personally love to see prices decline, but I'm not holding my breath.

(in reply to Poppacork)
Post #: 136
RE: Bourbon - 3/13/2018 4:30:24 PM   
KPB

Tariffs will drive the prices far above the single malt competitors. I’m not saying bourbon will lose its following, but a lot of consumers could easily shift away towards other grain spirits. Tequila though is a very different drink... not seeing direct competition there. Rum, maybe?

Ken Birman

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 137
RE: Bourbon - 3/14/2018 4:00:24 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Tariffs will drive the prices far above the single malt competitors. I’m not saying bourbon will lose its following, but a lot of consumers could easily shift away towards other grain spirits. Tequila though is a very different drink... not seeing direct competition there. Rum, maybe?

I don't think of tequila as being direct competition to Bourbon, necessarily, but overall market tastes shift over time. Based on very unscientific observation at my local, I've just noticed that tequila is gaining ground from a shelf space (as a proxy for market share) perspective, although it seems to be at the cost of brandy and cognac, not the American whiskeys, which have increased dramatically over time.

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 138
RE: Bourbon - 3/15/2018 8:14:11 AM   
BRR

quote:

I sure hope you're wrong. As it stands now, if I had $70 to put toward a either a Single Malt Scotch or a Bourbon, I'm going Bourbon all day long, without question. In my mind, I can get a pretty awesome Bourbon the same price as a very average (in some cases, not very good) Single Malt. I think it'll be a while before (if?) this happens.

Cheers!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 139
RE: Bourbon - 3/16/2018 11:22:28 AM   
thesternowl

quote:

quote:

I don't think of tequila as being direct competition to Bourbon, necessarily, but overall market tastes shift over time. Based on very unscientific observation at my local, I've just noticed that tequila is gaining ground from a shelf space (as a proxy for market share) perspective, although it seems to be at the cost of brandy and cognac, not the American whiskeys, which have increased dramatically over time.

Probably worth mentioning that Tequila is about to enter a shortage crisis. Demand is out-pacing supply and, unfortunately, there is little to nothing that can be done (Jalisco only has so much room for growing agave). Fine tequila is easily as enjoyable as any whiskey...if you like Tequila (I do).

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 140
RE: Bourbon - 3/18/2018 8:33:17 AM   
BenNoir

I tend to buy a lot of variety in Bourbon and Scotch.
Vodka, Gin, Rum and Tequila only have a couple of choices each as there are Ranch Standards.

I don't drink a lot of Scotch and Bourbon, thus I have many open bottles which seem to crowd the liquor storage.
When I do feel like sipping a bit of Bourbon, Angles Envy seems to be the one I reach for most often.

ben

Post #: 141
RE: Bourbon - 3/18/2018 8:38:55 AM   
KPB

Well, here in the US we would initially benefit if global demand for bourbon falls. Presumably the market would overload and we would see lots of discounts. But over time, producers would certainly be hurt.

< Message edited by KPB -- 3/18/2018 8:39:23 AM >

Ken Birman

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 142
RE: Bourbon - 3/18/2018 5:52:24 PM   
sawtooth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Poppacork

Excellent question. I've wondered the same as I've wandered through the aisles of my local store. Over the past 10 years, I've watched the share of shelf space ebb and flow between vodka, Scotch and American whiskey. More recently, it looks like tequila is taking some "market share."

I'd personally love to see prices decline, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think single pot Irish Whiskey is the next big thing in booze. Green Spot (Leoville Barton edition) is my new favorite hard liquor (supplanting Pappy 15 year)

-af

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 143
RE: Bourbon - 3/19/2018 8:15:43 AM   
thesternowl

Irish Whiskey is essentially barrel-aged vodka...that's why it's so popular.

(in reply to sawtooth)
Post #: 144
RE: Bourbon - 7/1/2018 9:16:47 AM   
Eddie

I see on Wine-Searcher that the average U.S. price for Weller 12 is $199. The last time I bought some, was in February 2014 at a Spec's in Dallas, when I paid $37/each for 3 bottles. The Bourbon market is just crazy.

A well-known chef was one of the participants in our Bot Luck last night. The conversation turned to Bourbon, and she quipped, "Bourbon is the new Beanie Babies!"....

Post #: 145
RE: Bourbon - 7/1/2018 10:57:27 PM   
vinopkm

Was able to get a 1L of Weller 12 for $31.99 in Austin this past winter.
For the money Eagle Rare for sub $30 is still the best value. My local always has multiple cases. My go to for an old fashioned too

(in reply to Eddie)
Post #: 146
RE: Bourbon - 7/2/2018 4:18:20 AM   
musedir

After a great evening of tapas at Curaté, we ended a wonderful weekend on Poppy Lane with a wee dram of Belle Meade 9 Bourbon aged in a Sherry cask... sweet but serious.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 147
RE: Bourbon - 7/30/2018 12:12:02 PM   
wicozani

Just want to endorse vinopkm's accolades for Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 proof.

We like overproofed cocktails, and for the first 92% of the bottle it was used to make cocktails. However, just the other evening I poured the remaining 2oz neat, adding about 6-8 drops of water from my fingertips, and sat down with it to watch another Mad Men episode (seems logical, doesn't it?). Fantastic nose, flavor and intensity, largely without the high alcohol burn! Incredible QPR @ $32.99 this sells for. May possibly unseat my forever favorite Wild Turkey 101. Need to directly compare a bit more.

(in reply to vinopkm)
Post #: 148
RE: Bourbon - 8/20/2018 6:30:11 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Elijah Craig Small Batch. Smooth and cures whatever ails ya.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to wicozani)
Post #: 149
RE: Bourbon - 8/20/2018 6:44:35 PM   
WineGuyCO

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Elijah Craig Small Batch. Smooth and cures whatever ails ya.

Great Bourbon. I made a dent in my brother in laws bottle when I was in Chicago last week. He whined to his sister (my wife) about how muchI drank but he did admit to helping me. I reminded him that I only drank it with him.

Rick

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Bourbon Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI