CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

What form does your cellar take?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> What form does your cellar take? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 10:40:46 AM   
Nickbb

I was wondering when you guys talk about what's in your "cellar" what form your cellars take. For instance, I live in a modern house with no actual cellar and so store mine in two wine coolers.......two cupboards.......the space under the stairs, oh and that place the wife doesn't know about..yet?
But seriously, what you've got obviously dictates how you conduct your habit, sorry interest.

Life's too short, so's this glass!
Post #: 1
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 11:33:47 AM   
annerk

Right now my wine cellar looks like this:

There are also a couple of cases stored in a closet, and a couple more in a friends basement in NJ.

Soon my cellar will look like the above for the daily drinkers, but the good juice will be in the closet mentioned above.  Right now that closet looks like, well a closet.  Hopefully by late January it will look like a smaller version of this:

< Message edited by annerk -- 12/2/2008 11:35:11 AM >

(in reply to Nickbb)
Post #: 2
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 11:37:15 AM   
NiklasW

I struck lucky when moving to Turku. We were house hunting, and finding what is now my place was just great! A semidetached house, but with a small potato cellar beneath it carved into the granite bedrock, complete with trapdoor! There were several other people looking at the place when we were there, but I think my enthusiasm for the cellar helped us win the bid (even though we bid lower than the asking price). Temps vary between 11 C and 14 C over the year, humidity from 60% to 80%. Couldn't be more perfect in my opinion. The way I have it set up now, I can fit about 300 bottles in there, but it is very ineffecient use of space. Perhaps some day in the future I will renovate it into a more serious wine cellar, for now I prefer to put my pennies into wine itself.

(in reply to Nickbb)
Post #: 3
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 12:11:07 PM   
schnittle

One wine fridge for about 50 bottles worth babying. 6 wine racks holding 12 bottles each in dining room/living room.   

(in reply to Nickbb)
Post #: 4
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 12:28:28 PM   
grafstrb

Count me in the group of those who are looking forward to having a walk-in cellar, but are currently making-do with wine cabinets/coolers.  I have one smaller one which holds 36 bottles that we [try to] use for our daily drinkers, and a Eurocave that, because of our love for Rhone-style wines, holds a lot less than advertised (maybe a bit over 200?) that we try to use for our agers.  Both are nearly filled to the brim right now.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to Nickbb)
Post #: 5
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 12:57:10 PM   
Pavie Princess

My cellar is a large room about 1740 Sq ft that looks like the tasting room at Chateau Margaux.......it has 5 different ceiling types and I had many wood cases from my cellar installed like a quilt on several of the walls and in th epassive cellar area..................I had the floors done in cheisled travertine because I could not find anyone who would install limestone for me in New Orleans..............it even has an arched tumbled marble ceiling over the casks from the Chateau...........love it.

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 6
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 1:17:32 PM   
Nickbb

Wow !

(in reply to Pavie Princess)
Post #: 7
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 3:43:00 PM   
ytsai

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pavie Princess

My cellar is a large room about 1740 Sq ft that looks like the tasting room at Chateau Margaux.......it has 5 different ceiling types and I had many wood cases from my cellar installed like a quilt on several of the walls and in th epassive cellar area..................I had the floors done in cheisled travertine because I could not find anyone who would install limestone for me in New Orleans..............it even has an arched tumbled marble ceiling over the casks from the Chateau...........love it.

WOW. Any chance of posting a photo?

Post #: 8
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 3:58:22 PM   
pault

I was going to convert a insulated room in the basement, add a chiller and presto, wine room. But I didnt want to invest in that much room as I couldnt really fill it. I opted for an Avanti 166 w roll out shelves(a must) and Im keeping it half full +- ,, gaining over time. So i am happy with it ATM, and looking forward to getting some better quality wines(drinkable) to offset, my daily low end stuff.

member #55326 , cellar ID=grngnt

(in reply to ytsai)
Post #: 9
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 4:26:19 PM   
PSirah Tampa

My cellar is a 8' X 10' room I created off my living room.  It has racks on 3 sides (one side 2 deep) and is refrigerated by a through-wall unit.  It currently houses 1,700 bottles, has a gridlock problem, and has become pure utilitarian.  But it keeps my wine properly chilled; I don't know what I would do without it.

I've tried to take photos, but I need a really wide angle lens to show anything.  I choose to spend my money on wine instead.

I just gotta drink'um faster!

(in reply to pault)
Post #: 10
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 4:28:42 PM   
wadcorp

As I just mentioned in another thread, our "cellar" is 8 feet wide X 4 feet deep.

I really need to take a few photos to show it off a bit. I keep threatening, but have yet to take the camera down.

Tomorrow for sure!

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to PSirah Tampa)
Post #: 11
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 8:09:17 PM   
Pavie Princess

i will at some point but my camera does not show the room well............

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 12
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 10:27:57 PM   
RoundersRob

There's apparently a few things it doesn't show well.   

Post #: 13
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/2/2008 11:49:41 PM   
NiklasW

Well, here is what my cellar looks like from above:

home made racks! I'm proud of them, cost 0 whatever currency you like.

(in reply to RoundersRob)
Post #: 14
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 1:43:39 AM   
pjaines

I dont have any space in my house in London - we have a 36 bottle wine fridge.

However, most of the stuff is at the in-laws house in France - they have a huge cellar that holds about 3,000 bottles underneath the house.  I have a corner of that cellar that is slowly growing.

Hopefully in a few years those 3,000 bottles will be mine as well.  Not that I am planning anything nasty for the in-laws.

My new DJ stuff....

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 15
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 4:11:57 AM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

Must be damn tough crawling back up after 2am when you to fetch that final bottle!!

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 16
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 6:35:05 AM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: NiklasW

That looks great - and pretty clean walls for something below grade.  But, keep that drain cleaned out  - and keep the other end of it clear - or you may find a couple inches of "100% humidity" in there some day.  What did you make the racks from?  It looks like empy cases...and dowels in some of them.

I'll have to snap some pictures of mine tonight.

(in reply to NiklasW)
Post #: 17
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 7:02:33 AM   
NiklasW

tacman, so far I have made it every time... but what will happen in 10 years time?! Maybe one day I won't get back up again. Then I'll just have to empty all the bottles.

gbm, fortunately the house is on top of a granite hill, so any deluge goes down hill from me. I did have one case of minor flooding recently, the gutter was clogged up and we got a huge amount of rain one day which spilled off the roof onto the ground next to where the cellar is. I didn't realize there was a danger of flooding so didn't think about it, but when I went into the cellar the next day, the concrete floor was wet, and there were marks on the racks indicating that there had been about 2 cm (1 inch) of water. But no problems, it dried out in about a month and I'm back to normal now.

I built the racks from whatever left over wood material I had on hand, old bookshelves, curtain holders, wooden boxes, etc. Recycling to the max! (I like recycling)

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 18
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 8:15:14 AM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

You crack me up!
I took one end of a large room on my lower level (mostly below grade) and walled it off, super-insulated it, and then had some pros come in and rack & cool.  The room is about 20'x24', set up for about 3400 btls.  One of the worst cases of denial I have ever seen ... I had most of my wine boxed in cold storage, pre-CT days.  I joined CT with the move, guessing I had 2000 btls.  2800 btls later I was shocked and awed.  I will try to get a couple of pix up this wknd.

"I'm drinking some wine, eating some cheese, and catching some rays, you know..." - Oddball (Kelly's Heroes)

Post #: 19
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 11:22:15 AM   
RoundersRob

I just have a 200 bottle "boxed up" series Vinotheque cabinet.    I'd like to some day turn the 11x12 room where the cabinet is located (that is currently my home office) into a walk in wine cellar but that's something wayyyyy out on the horizon.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 20
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 12:33:45 PM   
Nickbb

Be great to see some pics if anyone has the time or inclination. I'd be more than happy with what you have Nicklas......good effort, and over the moon with what the princess describes.

< Message edited by Nickbb -- 12/3/2008 12:34:08 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 5:18:12 PM   
gbm

Well, I have no idea how to make the image smaller - so here is my current cellar.

Looking the other way...

It's about 5' x 30'.  It was intended - according to the builder - to serve as a natural cellar, so the floor was never cemented.  It was left as gravel to allow humidity into the space.  The "ceiling" is the wood form on which the front porch was lain and outside the house.  Three walls are external and below grade and the fourth is concrete and abuts the rest of the basement.

Initially, my plan was to finish this area, cement the floor, and rack one wall.  Of course, my plans have grown.  Pavie gave me an idea.  I can leave this as a natural cellar and rack one wall, then build a second cellar/tasting room in the basement with a back door leading into this area!  I know - pipe dream.  After my wife sees the price tag, she can ditch my body under the gravel and have it cemented in...

< Message edited by gbm -- 12/3/2008 7:03:17 PM >

(in reply to Nickbb)
Post #: 22
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/3/2008 7:07:48 PM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

Initially, my plan was to finish this area, cement the floor, and rack one wall.  Of course, my plans have grown.  Pavie gave me an idea.  I can leave this as a natural cellar and rack one wall, then build a second cellar/tasting room in the basement with a back door leading into this area!  I know - pipe dream.  After my wife sees the price tag, she can ditch my body under the gravel and have it cemented in...

"bury me in my cellar with my wine"
I'll pre-pay the cooling bills, and then many years from now future Cellar Trackers can dig up my "time capsule" and enjoy the properly aged wines.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 23
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/4/2008 1:52:25 PM   
wadcorp

Okay, finally got some shots of the cellar. More like closet.

Our house was built in 1910. It has a set-stone foundation, 18 to 24 inches thick all around. Much of the mortar is crystalizing, but with the weight of the house & the size of the limestone used in the foundation, it isn't going anywhere. To keep things as stable as possible, we re-tuckpointed the stonework in this closet area. After we painted it with water-resistant paint.

As mentioned earlier, it's only four feet deep & eight feet wide, but figured it sufficient for our meager needs. This side of the foundation is on the north side of the house, so sunlight would not be a factor. Approximately 18-inches of the top of this area actually is out of the ground, so the soil is doing a good job of insulating (plus the thick stone walls).

After we finished painting, I had a contractor we know build 4-inch high platforms with a plywood deck on to of that. It is a basement after all, and wanted to have the racks up a bit just in case there is a sewer backup ( ! ) or other water coming in. Once those were built, I stained them with a mahogany stain. The racks we bought from Wine Enthusiast, also pre-stained in mahogany. The two racks fit exactly (and I mean exactly) in the space. The contractor made an additional panel for the top of the racks, so I'd have additional storage-space above.

That centre pole is just an additional support, and my wife decorated it with some wine vines she found.

At the very right edge of the above photo, you can just see the wine refrigerator…

…which is more apparent here. It is a 32-bottle wine refrigerator with two zones. 18 on the left for whites & sparkling, 18 on the right for certain reds. The rest of the counter we picked up from Home Depot. A fake-granite counter top, and a 24-inch cabinet. Again, I stained the cabinet in the mahogany. Above the counter, we had some shelving put in for our hard alcohol. High on the list is the single-malt collection, though I have to say I've only got eleven in there.

Right now, CellarTracker! says we have 247 bottles on hand.

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 24
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/4/2008 2:08:29 PM   
gbm

Very nice cellar wadcorp.  It gives me some ideas for mine.  I could plaster one wall to give it a fake limestone look and I could fit a small wine cabinet in the space where I currently have a rack.

P.S.   I keep the liqour upstairs - close at hand.  Macallan is my current favorite, but there was a review of single malts in the NY Times the other day and the 12 year didn't even make their top 10.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 25
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/4/2008 2:18:10 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: gbm

Macallan is my current favorite…

We should start a scotch thread for the hard-core among us.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 26
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/4/2008 8:39:28 PM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: wadcorp

We should start a scotch thread for the hard-core among us.

Great idea.  Have to keep it wine related, though.  Have a look here.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 27
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/7/2008 1:13:24 PM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: RoundersRob

You crack me up!
I took one end of a large room on my lower level (mostly below grade) and walled it off, super-insulated it, and then had some pros come in and rack & cool.  The room is about 20'x24', set up for about 3400 btls.  One of the worst cases of denial I have ever seen ... I had most of my wine boxed in cold storage, pre-CT days.  I joined CT with the move, guessing I had 2000 btls.  2800 btls later I was shocked and awed.  I will try to get a couple of pix up this wknd.

I know y'all have tried to explain this in earlier posts, but ...
I keep my pix in "HP Image Zone" on my laptop.  Is there an easy way to cut/paste or transfer into my replies here?
Focus on the word "easy"

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 28
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/7/2008 4:57:54 PM   
pbm

I can't believe I'm about to try and give advice on this. I can hear the laughter now.

To answer your question, no. You need to host the pics online -- fotki, picasaweb, etc -- then copy and paste the IMAGE address, not the address the page is on, between the text created when you click on the image button.

PBM
The Liver Is Evil It Must Be Punished

(in reply to tacman)
Post #: 29
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 12/7/2008 5:19:33 PM   
tacman

quote:

ORIGINAL: pbm

I can't believe I'm about to try and give advice on this. I can hear the laughter now.

To answer your question, no. You need to host the pics online -- fotki, picasaweb, etc -- then copy and paste the IMAGE address, not the address the page is on, between the text created when you click on the image button.

Any preferences as to which host site to start with?
Thanks.

TC

(in reply to pbm)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> What form does your cellar take? Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI