CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: What form does your cellar take?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What form does your cellar take? Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 5/6/2023 3:36:20 AM   
musedir

Excellent news Eric!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1591
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 5/12/2023 12:58:07 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

quote:

After thinking about it for a few years, the positive comments posted here, and getting really tired of having the majority of my wine in an offsite locker for which I'm paying a pretty penny every month, I've decided to bite the bullet and get a BILD 800. I did the math, and the offset of not paying for storage will pay for the BILD in roughly 16 months. Not too shabby.

But first, the hard part: making room in the garage.

If anyone needs to find me the next few weekends, you know where I'll be.

When I went to place my order shortly after this previous post, they were already out of stock and on backorder! I've gotten a few interim updates indicating that it will ship on May 12, which is now just a week away!!!

While I was initially rather annoyed by the delay, it turns out the extra time was helpful, as I really had a lot of work to do in my garage to make room! That process was also delayed a bit by, well, we'll just call it "life." So, the good news is, a week out from the (fingers crossed) ship date, after many trips to Good Will, pawning various odds and ends off onto unsuspecting friends, a dozen or so banker's boxes of shredded documents, and some very, very full trash bins, for the first time in two months, I am going into this weekend without the prospect of spending it toiling in the garage. Ready to take delivery!

Another milestone crossed: I was contacted yesterday to confirm that I still really want the cellar (I do!), and today, I received the shipping notification. Progress!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1592
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 5/16/2023 4:18:22 PM   
recotte

quote:

quote:

quote:

After thinking about it for a few years, the positive comments posted here, and getting really tired of having the majority of my wine in an offsite locker for which I'm paying a pretty penny every month, I've decided to bite the bullet and get a BILD 800. I did the math, and the offset of not paying for storage will pay for the BILD in roughly 16 months. Not too shabby.

But first, the hard part: making room in the garage.

If anyone needs to find me the next few weekends, you know where I'll be.

When I went to place my order shortly after this previous post, they were already out of stock and on backorder! I've gotten a few interim updates indicating that it will ship on May 12, which is now just a week away!!!

While I was initially rather annoyed by the delay, it turns out the extra time was helpful, as I really had a lot of work to do in my garage to make room! That process was also delayed a bit by, well, we'll just call it "life." So, the good news is, a week out from the (fingers crossed) ship date, after many trips to Good Will, pawning various odds and ends off onto unsuspecting friends, a dozen or so banker's boxes of shredded documents, and some very, very full trash bins, for the first time in two months, I am going into this weekend without the prospect of spending it toiling in the garage. Ready to take delivery!

Another milestone crossed: I was contacted yesterday to confirm that I still really want the cellar (I do!), and today, I received the shipping notification. Progress!

Annnnd... it's now due to be delivered tomorrow afternoon. w00t!!!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1593
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 5/18/2023 6:44:15 PM   
mclancy10006

Have fun. It is a bit of a project to complete, but manageable. One thing I forgot if I mentioned but having a few sets of long clamps or bar clamps is super handy when assembling the racking. Worth buying some if you don't have them.

-Mark

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1594
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 5/18/2023 9:49:25 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclancy10006

Have fun. It is a bit of a project to complete, but manageable. One thing I forgot if I mentioned but having a few sets of long clamps or bar clamps is super handy when assembling the racking. Worth buying some if you don't have them.

-Mark

Thanks for the heads up. I have a couple, and there’s a Rockler nearby if I need more.

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 1595
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 5/31/2023 6:15:27 PM   
recotte

Well, that's done.

My BILD 800 delivery was delayed by a couple of days... on the originally scheduled date/time, the truck arrived, the BILD was there, but... there wasn't a pallet jack on the truck, so no way to actually unload it. There was another BILD on the same truck that was supposed to have been delivered to Beverly Hills earlier in the day, but also not delivered. Because, you know, no pallet jack. It boggles the mind as to why they bothered to come at all, just to show me, yep, there it is, sitting on the truck, all 850 pounds of it. But that's what they did. Sigh. Two days later, they came back, with a pallet jack this time, and successfully (if a bit precariously) got it off of the truck, up my driveway (short, but kind of steep when you're pushing a 4' x 7' 850# pallet), and into my garage.

I was anxious to get underway with my BILD build, but I found myself without any immediate assistance, as the folks I had lined up to help with the assembly back in March when I originally wanted to get to work on it weren't readily available (like being in Europe for a month is a good excuse--sheesh). I can attest, with some planning, creativity, heavy reliance on furniture dollies, shims, and a basic understanding of physics and weight distribution, it is possible to assemble one of these without help. But I don't recommend it. I assembled the cellar itself over the course of a week in fits and starts around work, kids' activities, etc., and the racking has taken me another few days, also in spurts.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed by the quality of the unit. It's well made, sturdy, the hardware is solid, and it all goes together just as intended. I deviated from the order of assembly a couple of times to make things easier for myself, but the instructions were simple and mostly clear. A few minor nits--all of the hardware arrives in an unsorted bag, I got shorted on some screws for the door jamb (I got screwed!)--but really, these are minor.

I did find the racking to be more frustrating to assemble than the cellar itself, but after figuring out a better sequence of assembly than specified in the instructions, it wasn't too bad.

Still left to do, because it is in my garage, where it gets quite toasty in the summer, I'm going to completely cover it with R-5 insulation panels, but my immediate priority is transporting wine from my offsite into its new home.

Now for some pics:

I'm a little embarassed to share this one, but here's my garage before I started the project. It was badly in need of cleaning out.

Delivery day. On the left, you can see the insulation panels.

In addition to using silcone sealant on the inside of the unit to seal up all of the seams between panels, I put foil HVAC tape on the outside.

Instructions have you put on the front wall before installing the cooling unit, but given how big, heavy, and unwieldy it is, I did the cooler first so that I wasn't banging up the doorway.

Woohoo! Cellar is complete! I'm either really good or really lucky (okay, I know it's the latter), because the door went on just fine on the first try.

One of the racks after assembly.

That's it for now. Next up is getting everything out of my offsite. I'm going to try to do a full inventory at the same time, as I haven't done one in quite some time, so we'll see just how badly I suck at CT.

I'll post some more pics once it's all filled up.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1596
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 5/31/2023 7:58:16 PM   
fingers

Congrats Monsieur! Now enjoy the bottle Tetris ;)

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1597
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/1/2023 4:18:29 AM   
musedir

Sweet Eric!

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 1598
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/1/2023 8:12:31 AM   
khmark7

This all makes me feel better about my own garage.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1599
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/1/2023 8:30:21 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Really nice! And nice work Eric! You obviously need a Kubota tractor with the fork lift attachment!

I like the dark wood on the racking; not sure I've ever seen that before. Fun!

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 1600
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/1/2023 1:12:01 PM   
DoubleD1969

Nice! So the Porsche gets kicked out to the curb. Lol

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 1601
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/1/2023 3:01:01 PM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: DoubleD1969

Nice! So the Porsche gets kicked out to the curb. Lol

One of the reasons I wanted to get the BILD completed, so I can get it back in the garage where it belongs!

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 1602
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/11/2023 8:20:56 AM   
recotte

I’m making good progress on getting all of my bottles moved from my offsite into their new home. Even incorporating a full inventory, including my ~180 bottle Eurocave, I’m actually running a bit ahead of my self-imposed schedule to be done by 6/17, after which I would need to pay another month of rent, which I'd like to avoid.

One question for those of you out there with CellarPro cooling units: I got the bottle probe for measuring temperature, but the two bottles I’ve tried to fit it into, it has slowly eased out over ten minutes or so after being inserted. Fortunately they were upright, so no leakage, but this gives me pause in regards to putting this horizontally in the racks. Is there a good bottle size that anyone has had luck with getting theirs to work with?

< Message edited by recotte -- 6/13/2023 8:21:20 PM >

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1603
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/11/2023 8:34:06 AM   
musedir

Eric, can’t wait to see finished pics! Congrats!

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1604
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/13/2023 10:04:09 PM   
recotte

I got everything moved into the BILD (a few days ahead of schedule!), everything is inventoried (I'll be checking in on "I suck at CT" soon), other than some bins of CT Barrel wines, and I got the insulation panels in place. Whew!

Starting to get the BILD stocked:

Getting there; I'm not a fan of Weinboxes, having used some at my offsite, but I'll admit that they're perfect for the space on top of the racks.

BILD is full! Most of what is on the floor is either boxed and earmarked to be sold (shameless plug: check out the HDH auction in October!) or CT Barrel stuff. Once the boxes are off to HDH, I'll have some elbow room, including some slots in the racks. In the meantime, the bottles are providing good thermal mass.

Offsite is finally empty! Twelve years in the making!!! Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Last, but not least, this afternoon, I got all of the foam insulation panels on it. This will give me a little extra peace of mind through the summer.

I may eventually put something on the outside of the insulation to protect it from getting banged up, but for now, I'm calling this "little" project done!

I have to say, I have a deep sense of satisfaction over having all of my collection under one roof and no longer mostly offsite. I had a plan to build a cellar at home a while back that got derailed by life circumstances, so this really completes the circle. Many thanks to those who took this leap before me. The BILD rocks!

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1605
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/13/2023 11:29:46 PM   
xixcon

When our collection got bigger, we had to find another place. About 10 minutes from where we live, we found an old cellar. Built >100 years ago, it's completely underground, in a house. The temperature is stable all year round. The humidity is quite high (80%+). Good for the corks, but not for the cardboard boxes, which is why I switched to the wine boxes.

While it doesn't look at all as fancy as most of the photos here, it is very practical. Those boxes can be opened from the side, so I can access everything with ease. I just need to add some proper labeling, it's a work in progress. The table is just for use when storing or picking up wine. Not to sit down and enjoy. After all, I have to get back afterwards, don't drink & drive! Light conditions are not stellar there, thus potato quality photo

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1606
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/14/2023 7:30:59 AM   
DoubleD1969

Bravo recotte! (edit: not skifree) So is the BILD in the garage?

That cellar looks great xixcon!

< Message edited by DoubleD1969 -- 6/14/2023 11:03:32 AM >

(in reply to xixcon)
Post #: 1607
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/14/2023 7:39:55 AM   
recotte

xixcon, that’s a fantastic space! Is the house above the cellar privately owned, and you rent/borrow the cellar? How did you come across it?

DD, if that question was meant for me, yes, the BILD is in my garage, thus the extra insulation due to concerns over summer temperatures. It gets pretty toasty in there in the summer.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 1608
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/14/2023 8:50:22 AM   
wineismylife

recotte, is your BILD in a garage, basement, other?

Joe

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ http://www.wineismylife.net/

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1609
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/14/2023 8:58:51 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: xixcon

When our collection got bigger, we had to find another place. About 10 minutes from where we live, we found an old cellar. Built >100 years ago, it's completely underground, in a house. The temperature is stable all year round. The humidity is quite high (80%+). Good for the corks, but not for the cardboard boxes, which is why I switched to the wine boxes.

While it doesn't look at all as fancy as most of the photos here, it is very practical. Those boxes can be opened from the side, so I can access everything with ease. I just need to add some proper labeling, it's a work in progress. The table is just for use when storing or picking up wine. Not to sit down and enjoy. After all, I have to get back afterwards, don't drink & drive! Light conditions are not stellar there, thus potato quality photo

Wow, what a gorgeous space! Regardless of racking (which I think you have done a great job with) this cellar, to me, is one of the beautiful in this entire thread. Great find!

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to xixcon)
Post #: 1610
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/14/2023 11:03:00 AM   
recotte

quote:

ORIGINAL: wineismylife

Garage.

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 1611
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/14/2023 11:38:04 AM   
wineismylife

quote:

quote:

Garage.

I don't know what part of the country you're in but my pre-fab walk in wine room (very similar to BILD) is in my garage. I installed an insulated garage door when it needed to be replaced and a small window A/C unit in the window behind the cellar which I run from Memorial Day through Labor Day each year and it generally keeps my garage between 72 and 78 F during the summer months. I mention this because it greatly reduces the load on the cooling unit in the cellar. Always a good thing. Tuck this into the back of your mental filing cabinet just in case you find later that the cooling units are struggling to keep up.

Joe

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1612
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/14/2023 3:58:38 PM   
recotte

quote:

quote:

quote:

Garage.

I don't know what part of the country you're in but my pre-fab walk in wine room (very similar to BILD) is in my garage. I installed an insulated garage door when it needed to be replaced and a small window A/C unit in the window behind the cellar which I run from Memorial Day through Labor Day each year and it generally keeps my garage between 72 and 78 F during the summer months. I mention this because it greatly reduces the load on the cooling unit in the cellar. Always a good thing. Tuck this into the back of your mental filing cabinet just in case you find later that the cooling units are struggling to keep up.

Gotcha. I'm in Southern California, and we regularly get temps in the 90's and some triple digits every summer, so heat is definitely a concern. I have temp & humidity sensors in the BILD and in the garage so that I can keep an eye on things over the summer. I'll certainly keep the window a/c unit in mind. My garage is unfinished (built in the '30's, lathe and plaster inside the house, bare studs in the garage--pretty typical of this area), so I was thinking an attic fan might be my next order of business. I've been meaning to install one in my house attic, as well, so might as well do them both.

Post #: 1613
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/15/2023 6:57:52 AM   
wineismylife

Definitely. In your case an attic fan might be more appropriate given your construction. Key is to cool the surrounding air and that can be done by simply "moving it out" with an attic fan. Cheaper too.

< Message edited by wineismylife -- 6/15/2023 6:58:36 AM >

Joe

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1614
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/15/2023 9:34:16 AM   
recotte

quote:

Definitely. In your case an attic fan might be more appropriate given your construction. Key is to cool the surrounding air and that can be done by simply "moving it out" with an attic fan. Cheaper too.

And if I use solar attic fans, I'll even get a federal tax credit on the purchase and install....

Post #: 1615
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/28/2023 2:27:21 PM   
recotte

quote:

quote:

And if I use solar attic fans, I'll even get a federal tax credit on the purchase and install....

Attic fans installed. I'll be interested to see what happens as the summer progresses now that things are starting to warm up more here (low 90's over the coming weekend). I'm glad we're not getting the heat that's hammering TX.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1616
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 6/28/2023 3:04:05 PM   
wineismylife

Cool. Good luck.

Joe

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 1617
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 7/21/2023 7:01:47 AM   
S1

#notthinkingthingsthroughcompletely

HRH and I are taking our retirement celebration vacation in September
height of hurricane season
two places in hurricane zones
pretty full Eurocaves

So I am CRAMMING as much of "the great stuff" as possible in my offsite (backup generators for the backup generators...).
It's gonna be tight, and scary.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 1618
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 7/29/2023 9:29:10 AM   
sastewart

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

#notthinkingthingsthroughcompletely

HRH and I are taking our retirement celebration vacation in September
height of hurricane season
two places in hurricane zones
pretty full Eurocaves

So I am CRAMMING as much of "the great stuff" as possible in my offsite (backup generators for the backup generators...).
It's gonna be tight, and scary.

Although I don't have a "backup generator for the backup generator" since we retired to Tennessee from Chicago we have a backup generator which helps me sleep easier and travel more!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 1619
RE: What form does your cellar take? - 8/2/2023 3:04:42 PM   
S1

Plenty of room for more stuff.
Don't ask me about the Eurocaves though...

Moving all of the bottles in decaying cardboard to Weinboxes soon.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 1620
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: What form does your cellar take? Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI