CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 10/5/2009 9:35:33 AM   
gunpwdr

Funny that my first post on the CT forums would be concerning single malts.

I got into single malts big time some years ago, well before wine, and have ~25 bottles in my liquor cabinet. Started off with the usual suspects, Macallan, Glenlivet (available even at Applebee's!), Glenmorangie, but quickly moved on to Islay malts. Lagavulin and Laphroaig are amazing for sure. I would recommend the 15 over the 10 if buying Laphroaig. Ardbeg is probably my 3rd favorite of the Islays and is definitely worth checking out too.

I've had the Highland Park 12 and 18 and they're both great if you want a touch of pepper and smoke. Outside of Islay though, my favorite is Glenfarclas. Anyone looking to move on from Macallan should give them a look.

Concerning water, think of it as decanting a wine. You only need a few drops though... unless you need to cut the whisky further (see: cask strength). No harm in cutting a whisky btw... doesn't make you less of a man.

This page is a good resource for those starting out with single malts: http://www.maltmadness.com/

Alas, I don't drink much whisky anymore, with my palate being tuned to wine.

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 31
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 10/5/2009 10:49:01 AM   
grafstrb

Welcome to the forum, Don. I completely agree with you re: preference for Laphroig 15yr over the 10yr. The 10 is good, but a bit rough. The 15 is excellent.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to gunpwdr)
Post #: 32
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 10/5/2009 5:25:19 PM   
deb293

quote:

To a man, they all said one should add just a little bit of water to "open up the scotch". ORIGINAL: wadcorp
So I reiterate my question of umpteen posts ago; why does this seem not to pertain to Cognac or Armagnac?

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 33
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 10/5/2009 5:50:12 PM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: deb293

quote:

To a man, they all said one should add just a little bit of water to "open up the scotch". ORIGINAL: wadcorp
So I reiterate my question of umpteen posts ago; why does this seem not to pertain to Cognac or Armagnac?

Because Scotsmen aren't real men.  You'll never catch a real Irishman puttin' water in his whisky!  A little bit of ice cools it nicely, though... 

Greg

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 34
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 10/5/2009 7:19:09 PM   
deb293

Hmmm; doesn't quite answer the Cognac/Armagnac question. But I see your point...no one ever adds water to Irish Whiskey. Of course this could open up a whole can of worms about the difference in complexity between Irish Whiskey and Scotch.

< Message edited by deb293 -- 10/5/2009 7:24:11 PM >

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 35
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 10/5/2009 7:54:14 PM   
gbm

quote:

ORIGINAL: deb293

Hmmm; doesn't quite answer the Cognac/Armagnac question. But I see your point...no one ever adds water to Irish Whiskey. Of course this could open up a whole can of worms about the difference in complexity between Irish Whiskey and Scotch.

Sorry deb.  That was completely tongue in cheek.  I am Irish, and I like Irish whisky, but I usually drink Scotch (I would be disowned if I said I prefer it) and I always drop an ice cube in it.

Reagarding your question, though, my own supposition is that since armagnac/cognac are actually made from grapes, they more closely parallel wine and benefit more from a little aeration or bottle/cask age than they would from a drop or two of water. 

Greg

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 36
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 10/5/2009 7:57:25 PM   
deb293

quote:

my own supposition is that since armagnac/cognac are actually made from grapes, they more closely parallel wine
But honestly, if you drink them, not so much so.  They are spirits after all...(and I've never noticed that aeration helped one whit.)  It is generally believed that all maturation of spirits ends in the cask, and does not continue in the bottle.

Scotch seems to be the only spirit (including Marc, Grappa, Cognac, Armagnac, etc.) that has a dedicated following for adding water.  Except Absinthe.  Most people add water. Geez, and who wouldn't.

Actually, when I worked in a bar everyone added water to Ouzo as well.

< Message edited by deb293 -- 10/5/2009 8:10:42 PM >

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 37
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 10/5/2009 8:29:55 PM   
grafstrb

I don't drink much Armagnac or Cognac, but I imagine a couple drops of water might accomplish the same as it does with single malts. Of course, this is pure conjecture on my part.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to deb293)
Post #: 38
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 2:03:23 AM   
jhannah27

Drank a Bowmore 12 year Islay tonight for the first time. Very nice stuff. VERY peaty and ashy, but a good dose of savory herbs rounded it out.

Not my favorite, but certainly wouldn't turn it down.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 39
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 3:05:47 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

Not a whisky drinker, don't really like Scotch.
But strangely I was persuaded to drink whiskey by a friend (many years back) and found I quite liked:
Jameson 12 Year Old and Black Bush.
Is it just my imagination, or are the tastes very different?
Is there logic in my taste buds, or do drinks just always taste better with friends?
L.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 40
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 3:28:43 AM   
Ricardo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Colonel Lawrence

Not a whisky drinker, don't really like Scotch.
But strangely I was persuaded to drink whiskey by a friend (many years back) and found I quite liked:
Jameson 12 Year Old and Black Bush.
Is it just my imagination, or are the tastes very different?
Is there logic in my taste buds, or do drinks just always taste better with friends?
L.

The stills used for Irish Whiskey are totally different than those used for Scotch whisky. The peatiness is replaced by the smoothness of an extra distillation (I think!).

Black Bush is my favourite Irish whiskey, the Old Bushmills distillery used to run a great visitors' tour, maybe still do (excuse the pun) and being right next to the Giants' Causeway (in N. Ireland, of course) it's bang on the tourist trail... 

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 41
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 4:51:22 AM   
Colonel Lawrence

I can see Paul and Toby running tours there.
It's not wine, but why split hairs ;)
L.

I assume Bourbon is more akin to Irish Whiskey?
And what's Canadian Club?

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 42
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 6:18:24 AM   
Ricardo

I think bourbon can use different cereals incuding corn (maize) but the Americans will no doubt tell us if I'm wrong!

Malt whisk(e)y is 100% malted barley, in other words distilled beer....

CC I don't know about, always tasted fairly bland to me.

(in reply to Colonel Lawrence)
Post #: 43
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 8:37:25 AM   
tantotinto

I am not a big scotch drinker but enjoy sipping the occasional glass on winter evenings. I prefer it neat with a couple of drops of water added. My favorite bottles are Highland Park 12 and Lagavulin but have to admit to not having sample broadly. Tried those two, liked them and quit looking.

< Message edited by tantotinto -- 12/6/2009 8:39:32 AM >

(in reply to Ricardo)
Post #: 44
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 9:25:03 AM   
garethpowell

At the moment my house whisky is a Laguvalin 16 year old - which is always nice. I also have some 25 year old Laphroig which is fabulous - had a wee dram last night with a friend, it looses some of its peatiness on the nose but it re-emerges on the palatte at the end. My favourite is my 1975 bottle of Macallan I have been savouring this for years - gorgeous stuff. I also have some Ardbeg, Arbelour and Talisker tucked away as well. I do find that at the end of the night, particularly in winter, there is nothing better to round off an evening than a whisky. I always serve it neat as whisky only improves with a little warming to release all its complexities.

(in reply to tantotinto)
Post #: 45
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 10:14:55 AM   
Eric K

I just bought a bottle of Lagavulin and tried it last night. I am not sure if I like it or not. Thevery strong smokey taste and smell from the peat is like smoked pork. My favorite scotch is probably the Oban 14, but I also like the Balvenie 12 double wood and the always good Macallan 12.
Lagavulin review:
http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2005/11/lagavulin_single_malt_scotch_review.php
And what this guy says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRAQHu9rNo

(in reply to garethpowell)
Post #: 46
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 11:39:36 AM   
grafstrb

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

Drank a Bowmore 12 year Islay tonight for the first time. Very nice stuff. VERY peaty and ashy, but a good dose of savory herbs rounded it out.

I think Bowmore is pretty solid ... haven't had the 12, but have had the 17, which was very tasty -- good peat with a healthy dose of sea breeze salinity.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 47
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 12:45:28 PM   
cgrimes

I, too, like the Lagavulin 16 though I tend to drink it on cold, stormy nights.  The smokiness goes nicely with a fire and a book.

Post #: 48
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/6/2009 1:35:59 PM   
ikkaariainen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jhannah27

Jeremy - Bowmore rocks

Finnish by birth, Southern by the grace of God...

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 49
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/7/2009 12:29:31 PM   
treetops

quote:

ORIGINAL: garethpowell

At the moment my house whisky is a Laguvalin 16 year old - which is always nice. I also have some 25 year old Laphroig which is fabulous - had a wee dram last night with a friend, it looses some of its peatiness on the nose but it re-emerges on the palatte at the end. My favourite is my 1975 bottle of Macallan I have been savouring this for years - gorgeous stuff. I also have some Ardbeg, Arbelour and Talisker tucked away as well. I do find that at the end of the night, particularly in winter, there is nothing better to round off an evening than a whisky. I always serve it neat as whisky only improves with a little warming to release all its complexities.

The Laguvalin is my tipple at the moment but I've bought some of this Laphroaig Quarter Cask to see what it's like. Sitting on a bottle 1979 Springbank for a special occasion.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" - Benjamin Franklin

Post #: 50
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 12/7/2009 6:47:16 PM   
jamjo

I am in the Balvenie room. Single cube. According to my Scotch head friend to be true to neat one must add a single tablespoon of water that is the source in which the scotch is distilled. He told me that guys from his scotch club have several containers of water that they use for specific scotches. I have had flights with him and that is a great way to determine what you like and not burn a lot of bucks.

(in reply to Paul S)
Post #: 51
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 7:52:31 AM   
veniceslug1

Colonel,

Single Malt Scotch =  100% malted barley, aged in Scotland.  USually double pot distilled.  (Only Auchentosen triple distills.)  Almost always aged in used barrels.  The variation in flavors come in part from the heat source used in dryign the barley after malting--i.e. gas, coal, or peat.

Blended Scotch = A mixture of Single Malt and grain whisky.  Grain may be made from any graina and column stilled.

Irish Whiskey = Most is blended.  The single malt component is almost always tripple distilled leading to a smoother spirit.  Barrels usually used bourbon.

Bourbon = Usually column stilled, must be 50%or more corn.  (Usually ran 70% corn)  Rest any grain.  Must be aged in small, virgin, charred oak barrels.  Which is the source of the flavor.

Rye = see Bourbon but 50%  rye.

Canadian Whisky =  Blended whisky made in Canada.  Most like Irish in style.

(in reply to jamjo)
Post #: 52
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 11:16:44 AM   
AKNunokawa

For fear of being thought of as the type of guy who might mix good scotch with cola, I won't even tell you how I like my scotch (lots of ice -- I know, I know -- that is not how to drink it. But I drink it fast before the ice melts; I like it cold). But in general, any single malt 18+yrs. is pretty good stuff. Aging makes all the difference in the world. In my liquor cabinet, I generally have a few bottles of 18 and 25 year Macallan or Glenmorangie. And if any of you can find it, you might want to try a 18+ year Murray McDavid single malt. These guys are not distillers, but they are blenders, buying the fine stuff from Macallan, Lagulavin, etc. etc. and blending their scotches themselves. There stuff is awesome, but expensive. I used to be able to buy their 10 year old stuff ($40/bottle) and it tasted as good as everyone else's 18 year old stuff. But alas, I cannot find anymore of it.

(in reply to veniceslug1)
Post #: 53
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 11:23:52 AM   
gbm

I've actually become a convert.  I used to ask for one ice cube, to cool the scotch and add a touch of water to it.  No one ever gets that request right, though.  One bartender actually added a scoop of crushed ice to the glass!  So now I drink it neat.

Greg

(in reply to AKNunokawa)
Post #: 54
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 12:20:42 PM   
GalvezGuy

You will find me in the 18 yr Macallan room with Tac. I like it with a wee splash of water, it really does kick up the aromas, I don't know why.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 55
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 12:57:33 PM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

I like it with a wee splash of water, it really does kick up the aromas, I don't know why.

I had this same question awhile back as I noticed a scotch on the rocks seemed to "open" as I drank it. What I found out was that the water actually reacts with the booze somehow and releases more of the aromatics. So a few drops of water will do the trick.

I am with AKNunokawa in that I like a bit of a chill on my scotch, so I have the bartender usually put just one or two cubes in the glass so as not to water it down too much with a full glass of ice.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 56
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 1:07:36 PM   
grafstrb

I always order my single malts neat with a water back. That way I control how much water goes in the bugger, if any at all. Sometimes I find that a sip of scotch - sip of water - sip of scotch - sip of water regimen works just as well as putting a bit of water into the scotch, as the residual water in the mouth is a sufficient amount to help the scotch open up; granted, the only way one can enjoy the opened aromatics when taking this approach is retro-nasally, but that's typically how I enjoy a Scotch's aromas anyways.

Terroir is not a flavor.

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 57
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 1:11:06 PM   
jhannah27

quote:

ORIGINAL: grafstrb

I always order my single malts neat with a water back. That way I control how much water goes in the bugger, if any at all. Sometimes I find that a sip of scotch - sip of water - sip of scotch - sip of water regimen works just as well as putting a bit of water into the scotch, as the residual water in the mouth is a sufficient amount to help the scotch open up; granted, the only way one can enjoy the opened aromatics when taking this approach is retro-nasally, but that's typically how I enjoy a Scotch's aromas anyways.

That is the first time in my life I have ever heard that term. Well done, sir.

-- Jeremy

(in reply to grafstrb)
Post #: 58
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 1:11:49 PM   
glaze3

I use about 3 drops of water and could never drink on the cool side (ice) also before I ever really drank scotch someone gave me a set of Riedel single malt glasses which now that I do drink a lot I could never drink from anything else. I usually drink Balvenie 15 or Lagavulin 16

(in reply to jhannah27)
Post #: 59
RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread - 3/10/2010 1:12:48 PM   
bobpsi

quote:

ORIGINAL: waterdr

I had always enjoyed a scotch or a small batch bourbon, then a few years ago I was introduced to single malts.  The two I have really enjoyed are Lagavulin and Laphroaig, both are very smokey.  When having these it can be like having a cigar and your scotch at the same time.  As for serving, a small glass and a couple of ice cubes to help release the flavors.  For the Lahphroaig besides the smoke, you can almost taste the salt air, kind of marsh grass, just wonderful.

+1 on the laphroaig

(in reply to cjsavino)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Single Malt Scotch Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI