CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 11/3/2017 8:42:48 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid

I'm late to this thread, but have been reading through it over the past few days. Thanks for sharing -- it seems to be a great small vineyard, and a very interesting venture. Doing something like this is a daydream of mine too, so its good to read about someone actually managing it.

Thanks pengiunoid! If you need a consultant to help you get going down under, I'm available. Just provide airfare.

Actually, there are a few Washington winemakers I'm aware of who have consulted down there in our "off season" here, and visa versa. The most famous of those is likely John Duval, http://longshadows.com/winemakers/profile.php?name=John+Duval&id=10

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 481
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 11/3/2017 2:49:08 PM   
Sourdough

Glad to hear things are going smoothly. And I am sure it feels GREAT to have done it all yourself!

Salud!
Jay

(in reply to penguinoid)
Post #: 482
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 11/3/2017 8:48:28 PM   
penguinoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

quote:

ORIGINAL: penguinoid

I'm late to this thread, but have been reading through it over the past few days. Thanks for sharing -- it seems to be a great small vineyard, and a very interesting venture. Doing something like this is a daydream of mine too, so its good to read about someone actually managing it.

Thanks pengiunoid! If you need a consultant to help you get going down under, I'm available. Just provide airfare.

Thank you for the offer . Sadly, it's likely to stay a day-dream for a number of reasons, not least the money. Also common sense.

I have lots of fun day-dreaming about what I'd grow and where -- for example, perhaps Chenin blanc would do well in Central Otago, given how much schist they have there? Or perhaps Jura wine grapes would do well in the Adelaide Hills? Or perhaps I could move to France and buy a vineyard in the Loire, perhaps near Savennières? Ironically, France would probably work out cheaper, if I went to the Loire or Languedoc, as land and winery equipment are both quite expensive in Australia. (I am a Francophile, so I would not need much encouragement to move there. The cheeses by themselves are enough.) Actually settling on one place and a few varieties, and making the wine, would be a whole different matter. Ditto actually selling the stuff once it's made.

quote:

Actually, there are a few Washington winemakers I'm aware of who have consulted down there in our "off season" here, and visa versa. The most famous of those is likely John Duval, http://longshadows.com/winemakers/profile.php?name=John+Duval&id=10

I know quite a few winemakers from Australia who have worked in the US and Europe. I know Brian Croser worked in the US, but I'm not sure if he ever worked in Washington. I know of John Duval, but wasn't aware he'd worked in Washington. One American winemaker I'm aware of in Australia is Bradley Hickeys, who is from NY and owns/runs Brash Higgins in the Mclaren Vale. I don't know of any from Washington, but then I'm really not part of the wine trade here.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 483
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 2/12/2018 10:59:40 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Almost the three year anniversary of this thread. Last year we were still under 2+ feet of snow on this date, but this year has been more similar to 2015 and 2016 with still some frost, but some green happening already too. We've taken a bit of risk maybe but have started pruning. So far 24 rows done in past 2 weekends, and should finish in a few more days. Everything looks healthy and no signs of any damage from this past mild winter. Knock wood... we should have our biggest and close to full crop this year. I did trim up cuttings of every variety (except Pinot Noir because we're not to those rows yet), dip in a root growth hormone gel, and have potential starts for around 120 or so new plants sitting in water. We'll see if they take, then will fill in the few holes from dead vines in existing rows.

Things we have learned are a) move the sweep wires all the way to the top before they get buried in vines b) tie up horizontal cordons better NOW versus later when the growth and heavy fruit starts pulling them to the ground. c) Chiva is still not trained to pick up and stack the clippings but she loves being out there.

Post #: 484
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 2/12/2018 6:58:16 PM   
khmark7

Nice Chris. Your 2 feet of snow is resting comfortably around the Chicago area. No pruning here, at least for the next week or two.

This is year 3 or 4 for several of my vinifera vines, so if they survived our two weeks of cold temps i might have a good crop. Curious to hear when bud break arrives in Washington.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

Post #: 485
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 2/13/2018 9:21:55 AM   
BRR

We really need it to stay cold for a few more weeks. Having buds starting to show in early-to-mid February is no bueno. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some sustained cold for the farmers in Central and Eastern WA. Nice pictures, Chris!

Cheers!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 486
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 6/4/2018 10:16:42 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

FWIW, Photobucket is back. I was browsing this thread this morning, mainly looking to see which clone of Syrah had done well, which one had a lot of frozen vines in winter of 16/17, and I noticed all the photos I had posted here using Photobucket over past 3+ years were visible again.

I added a few new photos (one posted above) and seems like things are back to previous with some free hosting, at least for a while, though I do see they have a number of plans advertised. I may pay a fee to preserve some old photobucket hosted pictures. May not.

In vineyard news, 2018 is moving right along and I feel like we have a better idea of what we are doing, maybe. I mowed everything by rider this weekend and finished a good first round of suckering and tying. Our ground is dry, dry, dry, no measureable rain since April 7, but vineyard irrigation and deep roots are keeping the canopy growth in good shape. A few flowers just starting, and I expect full bloom in next couple of weeks. Still some vines needing replacement, but I am pleased enough with the 1650 or so that are living, and they for sure provide enough work, and a good amount of fruit if past two harvests are an indications, as is. Our June schedule includes a lot of travel, so not sure I'll get time to plant and nurture any new vines anyway.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 6/4/2018 1:50:37 PM >

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 487
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 6/4/2018 11:03:44 AM   
PinotPhile

Looks quite good, Chris. Best of luck with the Syrah!

PP

Post #: 488
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 6/25/2018 10:46:05 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

I haven't looked yet to see if this is already patented, but thinking I should apply if not. I have all the pieces except the belt, top and bottom pulleys. I drew this to see what sizes to buy after measuring the other stuff, and I think this set-up is what I'll try first.

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 489
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 7/7/2018 7:14:19 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

This is cherry season in Yakima. In the past couple of weeks we have purchased around 80 pounds. It turns out that is more cherries than a family of 3 can eat in a week. So we took some next door this morning to our new neighbors. They were not home.

When I turned around, I realized a view of our vineyard that I had never seen before. The excavator cut for their garage/outbuilding provides a perfect real time cross section of our vineyard soil. I have known this dirt well over the past few years; it is wind blown loess and tastes like dirt. Naches Heights was higher in elevation than the highest Missoula Flood which affected the soil geology in most of the Columbia Valley, and the loess is one of the AVA's distinguishing characteristics. The other mostly being the andesite lava flow rocks that form the plateau.

Those are our Pinot Noir vines at the top.

Turning more directly into the hillside, looking east, the loess is laced with small boulders at about 4-5 feet depth, then a uniform 10-15 feet. Not sure what those horizontal bands are; St Helens or other volcanic eruptions perhaps. The one in 1980 dumped about 6 inches of ash on Yakima and I have some still in my attic, though I doubt this profile shows anything from that recent eruption. I am no geologist though so any help appreciated.

We are actually growing grapes too. These are the Riesling that I suspect might turn purple again in about a month.

Post #: 490
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 7/7/2018 7:24:13 PM   
mtpisgah

quote:

I haven't looked yet to see if this is already patented, but thinking I should apply if not. I have all the pieces except the belt, top and bottom pulleys. I drew this to see what sizes to buy after measuring the other stuff, and I think this set-up is what I'll try first.

You need to run a chain from the free hub to the machine rather than using the trainer’s tire interface. It would be more efficient. I meant to tell you that last week but someone kept giving me wine.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

Post #: 491
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 7/7/2018 7:40:28 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

You need to run a chain from the free hub to the machine rather than using the trainer’s tire interface. It would be more efficient. I meant to tell you that last week but someone kept giving me wine.
I thought about that. A long chain and bike sprocket was actually my original plan, you could even change gears. But I have the pulley and belt for the moment (arrived from Grainger yesterday), partly because I think it will be safer around 5 and 2 year old fingers, and I'll test it soon.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 492
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 7/8/2018 1:02:17 PM   
PinotPhile

I am no expert in viticulture, Chris, but that vineyard and the Riesling grapes sure look healthy to me.

Goat Rocks Cheers!

Post #: 493
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - PLANTING Begins! - 7/9/2018 3:26:36 AM   
musedir

quote:

someone kept giving me wine.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 494
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/9/2018 8:09:35 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Ladies and gentlemen, behold the Velocrusher...

It still needs a bit of tweaking, but with 21 gears on the bike and 3 resistance settings on the trainer, this is a 63 speed device.

Post #: 495
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/9/2018 9:09:15 AM   
musedir

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

Post #: 496
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/9/2018 3:07:29 PM   
PinotPhile

Wine cardio? Why not?

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 497
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/9/2018 3:47:33 PM   
Sourdough

Now all you need is a Tour de France rider to train on your crusher! But with 63 speeds perhaps it should be known as the Crush-o-Matic: it crushes it dices, it whips, an it froths. It even liquidated skins, seeds, and stems. And for the next ten minutes, order this miracle machine and you will get not only the Crush-o-matic but more...

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 498
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/9/2018 4:22:06 PM   
WineGuyCO

Great thread Chris !!

Rick

Post #: 499
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/9/2018 5:20:36 PM   
khmark7

I like it. Maybe you can reach out to Tom Boonen and see if he is free during crush now that he is retired from riding.

(in reply to WineGuyCO)
Post #: 500
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/10/2018 3:42:27 AM   
musedir

Seems the perfect film for inventor Cary to view as he contemplates his bicycle “victims” for his contraption... Triplets of Belleville

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 501
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/26/2018 4:14:41 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

I've been asked by my picking crew to predict harvest dates so they can do their work schedules. Oi. But I am not guessing totally blind. I picked third weekend on October, based mostly on our family tradition, but it also usually gets our grapes the hang time they need, and usually safely before frost danger.

It got me to thinking about Growing degree days, so I looked up the data. The WSU Ag Extension operates 176 weather stations statewide, and makes that data publically available. Conveniently for me there is one named Cowiche that is less than a mile as the crow flies from my vineyard. I've mined my data and done the math to learn how to be a farmer since I planted in 2015.

April 1 - July 25

Growing Degree Days .... Inches of Precipitation (to show how dry we really are here)

2015 - 1794.3 .......... 1.21
2016 - 1433.2 .......... 1.24
2017 - 1346.7 .......... 2.4
2018 - 1507.5 .......... 1.11

My local heat units (GDD) track a bit higher than the Naches Heights AVA reported number, but similar. Tells me this year we are tracking well to have ripe fruit by mid October.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 7/26/2018 4:22:44 PM >

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 502
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/27/2018 9:00:26 AM   
Vino Me

quote:

April 1 - July 25

Growing Degree Days .... Inches of Precipitation (to show how dry we really are here)

2015 - 1794.3 .......... 1.21
2016 - 1433.2 .......... 1.24
2017 - 1346.7 .......... 2.4
2018 - 1507.5 .......... 1.11

Chris, thought you might like to see a comparison to the same info for my vineyard in Southwest Michigan:

Thru 7/27/18

2015 - 1332 .......... 14.78
2016 - 1538 .......... 11.55
2017 - 1504 .......... 15.12
2018 - 1590 .......... 19.17

I think this really puts into perspective how dry you are.

VM

< Message edited by Vino Me -- 7/27/2018 9:01:48 AM >

Post #: 503
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 7/27/2018 11:36:05 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Yep, thanks Vino Me. Interesting too how close our overall average is for GDD. Some warmer or cooler years but very close.

(in reply to Vino Me)
Post #: 504
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/7/2018 4:25:21 AM   
khmark7

Bird netting up yet?

Post #: 505
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/7/2018 12:02:09 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Bird netting up yet?

Nope. Last weekend berries still all green and hard. A couple more weeks until veraison by best guess. I have taken a bit of heat/wind stress, Row 1 Sangio facing the wind seems a bit battered especially, but watered a good round over the weekend. Heat is tracking well ahead o 2017, but a bit behind 2016. Expect to pick Gewurz, Pinot and a bit of other reds for a rose late September, Sangio and Syrah pick likely late October.

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 506
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/7/2018 6:26:52 PM   
khmark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: khmark7

Bird netting up yet?

Nope. Last weekend berries still all green and hard. A couple more weeks until veraison by best guess. I have taken a bit of heat/wind stress, Row 1 Sangio facing the wind seems a bit battered especially, but watered a good round over the weekend. Heat is tracking well ahead o 2017, but a bit behind 2016. Expect to pick Gewurz, Pinot and a bit of other reds for a rose late September, Sangio and Syrah pick likely late October.

Interesting. My latest ripening vines are now going through veraison and we usually begin the season a week or two behind you. Maybe the heat in your area is delaying maturity? When was veraison last year for you?

VM - Veraison for you?

Post #: 507
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/14/2018 3:25:07 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

My trusty vineyard crew, aka Barbilocks, reported our first look at purple today. I'm away for work on my day job, but nets will go up while I'm away on these rows at least, or this weekend at latest. This is Pinot Noir, which has historically been our first turner. Dates in this thread are close to same as this year. I will look back to confirm.

Smoke not as bad a problem for us (yet) this year compared to last. I'm two hours north in Wenatchee and air quality and visibility is about a half mile due to fires near Lake Chelan. No immediate danger to people, like some areas of CA/OR/CO, but not a good thing nonetheless.

ETA: Veraison dates have been 8/15/15, 7/28/16, 8/10/17, I'm going to say 8/10/18, always Pinot first. I have been gone since 8/5, so this is a best guess for this year based on pictures I saw today.

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 8/14/2018 3:35:16 PM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 508
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/15/2018 3:39:30 AM   
musedir

Looking good Billy Ray.

Post #: 509
RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! - 8/27/2018 9:41:45 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

It's amazing, but not too surprising, that many of my wine buddies are also bicycle enthusiasts. With help from mtpisgah and JerryL, chain drive with a tensioner (that also happens to be a derailleur) was the trick that provides a smooth, efficient drive system to run the crusher destemmer with bike power.

In other news, the vineyard netting is up with exception of first 7 rows of Sangio, which are about 50% into veraison, everything else is netted and moving along ripening nicely. Our weather has cooled, and even a hint of a bit of rain yesterday, which has should help air quality and firefighters, also should provide a nice smooth ripening curve for next month or so. Our GDD are on track with 2016, so harvest dates are likely September 8 or maybe even sooner for Gewurztraminer (need to pick it before acids start dropping too much) , September 15 for Pinot Noir, and some rose of Syrah and Sangiovese. Mid to late October for Syrah/Viognier and Sangiovese.

My day job project that I've been away since July is finishing up this week, so I'll be home for harvest. I'm excited to use my new toys, the Velocrusher/destemmer, and the Lancmann press for the first times. We have more fruit to process (and wine to make), and these machines should make it much easier.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Goat Rocks Vineyard - TRELLISSING Begins! Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI