CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Winter Adventure Across America

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Winter Adventure Across America Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Winter Adventure Across America - 11/9/2015 9:51:26 AM   
nicholasharbour

Here we go again...

My dad (gharbour) and I got involved with CellarTracker back in 2005 when we had this wild idea we could somehow track, learn from, manage/control our 'interest' in wine. Since then we have lost track at times. We have learned so much. However, there was no help in managing or controlling this passion we were so very passionate about. Here we are 10 years later and I was able to meet the guy who made it all possible, Eric! It was great and I surely thanked him for his contributions to the wine world... but what I did not thank him for was his contribution to my love of wine... which has led me to some great things! So, thank you very much Eric!

Eric and Dan stopped by Savigny-les-Beaune a couple weeks ago on their short visit to Burgundy and we got right into it. Wine was on the agenda and there was lots. We tasted a lot of the 2015s in barrel, all the 2014s and a handful of the 2013s! So happy to have met them both and shook their hands! Look forward to crossing paths in the future.

What does this have to do with the Winter Adventure Across America??? I recently realized that I am attempting to meet as many people as possible from the CellarTracker community (Eric, check... Dan, check... but seriously, I have actually met a lot of you and it has been an absolute pleasure!) So, I am setting off on another crazy American road trip. Starting at my parents house in Travelers Rest, SC, traveling west to San Diego, CA before turning North and ending up in Seattle, WA.

Google puts the trip at just shy of 4,000 miles. I set off on the 30th of November and hope to be in Seattle, WA on the 11th of December. Giving myself 12 days, 333 miles a day of open road and tons of great people to meet along the way.

Unlike the Summer Adventure Across America, this time I will be traveling without my dad :(. I do however, plan on having a pretty solid supply of Maison Harbour wines to keep me company on this huge trip and more importantly to share with the new (and old) friends I meet along the way.

This will be my own version of 'Adventures on the Wine Route' and I hope to include as much of the CellarTracker community as I can in it! So, if you are on or close to my planned route let me know and lets try to get together. My goals for the trip are to see more of the US, meet other people passionate about wine, share good wines, food, conversation and have a great time!

À très bientôt et... cheers!
Post #: 1
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/9/2015 9:53:48 AM   
DoubleD1969

That is terrific! I hope to try one of your wines some day. I love to read about success stories.

(in reply to nicholasharbour)
Post #: 2
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/9/2015 11:19:35 AM   
bretrooks

Whew, that's a long haul for just 12 days...travel safe! Probably won't be able to make it to any of the places you're actually having get-togethers, but if you're looking for restaurant/rest stop options on the central coast, I'm happy to offer some 101-adjacent recommendations.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 3
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/9/2015 2:22:37 PM   
oskiwawa

I would skip Dallas and just stop in Austin while you are in Texas

Seriously though, please do send out the dates for these two cities. If it works schedule wise, I will drive over to one and meet up with my CT friends there while you are driving through the area.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 4
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/9/2015 3:45:43 PM   
ShawnM789

Nice! Safe travels everyone is in for a treat

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 5
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/9/2015 9:20:24 PM   
dsGris

If you would like to water over in PDX on the way to Seattle, I am sure some Pinot/Chard drinkers would enjoy your company.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

(in reply to ShawnM789)
Post #: 6
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/10/2015 5:48:37 AM   
jrockman

This sounds like a great trip, Nicholas! We have a very active group in Seattle that would love to get together and hear your story. The group meets tonight for our monthly get-together; we'll talk of your arrival on the 11th of December, I'm sure.

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 7
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/10/2015 7:55:06 AM   
racerchris

You left out the northeast.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 8
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/10/2015 10:29:55 AM   
BornToRhone

quote:

ORIGINAL: oskiwawa

I would skip Dallas and just stop in Austin while you are in Texas

Seriously though, please do send out the dates for these two cities. If it works schedule wise, I will drive over to one and meet up with my CT friends there while you are driving through the area.

You can go ahead and keep it @Dallas, Nicholas! ...or it's a good excuse to visit MY CT friends in Austin!

Either way, We'd love to meet you and chat about the fun you've been having in Burgundy! (Trying your wine will certainly be an added benefit!)

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 9
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/10/2015 12:34:56 PM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrockman

This sounds like a great trip, Nicholas! We have a very active group in Seattle that would love to get together and hear your story. The group meets tonight for our monthly get-together; we'll talk of your arrival on the 11th of December, I'm sure.

Ditto. I mentioned this to one or two folks at last month's tasting and would love to attempt a meet-up. Nice post, Nicholas.

Cheers!

(in reply to jrockman)
Post #: 10
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/10/2015 2:29:20 PM   
GalvezGuy

That leg from Dallas to Phoenix is a killer. Think of it this way. El Paso, TX is closer to LA than Houston. Look forward to seeing you in Houston.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 11
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/10/2015 4:18:02 PM   
mtpisgah

That sounds like a great trip. If you are in town this Saturday stop by the house, we are hosting an Oregon Pinot tasting. I believe (i.e. hope) sent the details to your dad.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

Post #: 12
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/10/2015 9:00:20 PM   
mye

Look forward to meeting you in Seattle!

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 13
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/10/2015 9:05:40 PM   
champagneinhand

Best of luck Nicholas. It's best to avoid the NE and Great Lakes areas of the USA during this time of the year. May your trip be a prosperous one.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 14
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 6:32:10 AM   
nicholasharbour

Thanks for the great response! Today, Colleen and I nailed out some of the details of the trip. We are waiting for a lot of confirmations, some locations, etc. but we have the map, a rough estimate of how much wine it will take to get us from SC to WA and the dates.

Please let me know if you are in/around any of these cities at these times and I will keep you updated!

Nov. 30th
Travelers Rest, SC (11am)
Atlanta, GA (2pm-4pm)
Birmingham, AL (5pm-Late)

Dec. 1st
New Orleans, LA (1pm-Late)

Dec. 2nd
Houston, TX (11am-Late)

Dec. 3rd
Dallas, TX (12pm-Late)

Dec. 4th
Lots of TX road!
Tucson, AZ (7pm-Late)

Dec. 5th
Phoenix, AZ (11am-3pm)
San Diego, CA (8pm-Late)

Dec. 6th
San Diego, CA (Early-3pm)
Irvine, CA (5pm-Late)

Dec. 7th
San Francisco, CA (5pm-Late)

Dec. 8th
St Helena, CA (Early-Late)

Dec. 9th
Portland, OR (6pm-Late)

Dec. 10th
Portland, OR (Early-Late)

Dec. 11th
Seattle, WA (2pm-Late)

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 15
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 7:05:18 AM   
nicholasharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrockman

Ditto. I mentioned this to one or two folks at last month's tasting and would love to attempt a meet-up. Nice post, Nicholas.

quote:

ORIGINAL: mye

Look forward to meeting you in Seattle!

It will be exciting to be in Seattle to end the trip the right way! Seems like there is a great group there and we should have plenty of wine!

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 16
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 7:12:49 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

Looks like a great trip! I'm a possible along the I-5 corridor from So OR, Portland to Seattle. Those passes into OR from CA have already seen snow this year, so be careful there, and everywhere.

How are you getting back to aptly named Traveler's Rest from Seattle?

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 17
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 7:44:34 AM   
musedir

So passing on my neck of the woods?

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 18
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 8:06:48 AM   
nicholasharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Those passes into OR from CA have already seen snow this year, so be careful there, and everywhere.

EEEK snowy passes! I hadn't even thought about snow... looking at states like AL, GA, TX, AZ, CA, I was packing my swimming suit!

I will fly back from Portland, so on the 12th I will drive back down I-5. It would be great to meet if you could make it out (maybe Seattle on the night of the 11th?). Lets keep in touch as the date gets closer...

Post #: 19
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 8:26:27 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

CA, I was packing my swimming suit!

Donner Party, party of 87 48? Donner Party???

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

Post #: 20
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 8:43:47 AM   
nicholasharbour

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Donner Party, party of 87 48? Donner Party???

This is getting historical! I love it.

Post #: 21
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 1:31:39 PM   
wadcorp

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

So passing on my neck of the woods?

That was by design.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 22
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 5:49:44 PM   
musedir

Yeah, it's dangerous on the edge of the frontier.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to wadcorp)
Post #: 23
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 8:46:44 PM   
BornToRhone

Hi Nicholas,

Looking forward to your visit! If things are pretty concrete for your visit in Dallas, let me know I I can try to arrange some folks to get together either at my place or at an offline location. Let me know!

Joe

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 24
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/11/2015 10:11:35 PM   
f22nickell

Looking forward to meeting you in Seattle on the 11th! It appears Jeff (Jrockman) and Brandon (BRR) are coordinating your visit (your are in good hands!) We will have our monthly meeting place (The Amaroso room in Bellevue) reserved for that night for primary or backup as the plans finalize.

Again, congratulations on your endeavor and looking forward to your visit.

“ Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. ”
— Ecclesiastes 9:7

F22nickell on CT ...
S_Nickell on WB ...

(in reply to BornToRhone)
Post #: 25
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/14/2015 9:52:59 AM   
nicholasharbour

Looking forward to getting on the road!

Still looking to pull something together for my New Orleans day. I will be traveling between Birmingham and Houston and will stop hopefully around half way on December 1st. Anyone around Jackson, MS / New Orleans, LA / Batton Rouge, LA / Lafayette, LA?

Also, still trying to get something rolling for Portland... dsGris, I'll message you. Anyone else around Portland?

(in reply to f22nickell)
Post #: 26
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/15/2015 12:33:04 AM   
dsGris

I got your message Nicolas, but this semi retired wine drinker has been very busy lately. I'm thinking "Wine is Serious Business", Chas. and Dan may be interested. They do Utube tasting videos on Face Boook. Possibly Michael Alberty @ Story Teller and I was just @ Vino on SE 28th picking up some Vincent and there were about 6 wineries doing tastings including Grochau, Cameron & Vincent. I needed to go back to work, so did not linger. You possibly could join the circus over on WineBerserkers and give some relief to those poor sots pissing and moaning about M. Ilan and get them to see there are some people who do it right over in France. They do have a forum for tastings and such. There is a good discussion about OR wines from NW posters who could well be some of the Seattle bunch.

DennisG
Granpa Wino

Post #: 27
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/18/2015 8:19:09 PM   
BornToRhone

Hello, Nicholas,

I sent you a couple PMs about your potential Dallas visit. I'm thinking that getting a group together for a wine tasting lunch on a work Thursday at noon is probably not going to yield many folks. I also understand that to get to Phoenix the next day by 7 pm, you will need to leave Dallas by about 5 pm if you plan to sleep (16 hour drive). Therfore, It would be more favorable for you to find some folks in the wine business to meet for lunch, like folks at Pogo's, Graileys, La Cave, etc. Maybe another Dallasite who is available at that time will speak up and host?

Sorry, as it would have been nice to taste your wines. Hopefully next time you can stay in Dallas for a dinner tasting.

Regards,
BtR

(in reply to dsGris)
Post #: 28
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/20/2015 10:10:12 PM   
schwank

I am totally interested in a Portland GTG. I know a few other guys that would be as well, they just don't frequent the CT forums much.

Post #: 29
RE: Winter Adventure Across America - 11/22/2015 12:07:12 PM   
seattle_geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: schwank

I am totally interested in a Portland GTG. I know a few other guys that would be as well, they just don't frequent the CT forums much.

Count me in too (regardless of my username, I am in Portland rather than Seattle -- just moved down).

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Winter Adventure Across America Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI