CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 10:49:10 AM   
barolo300

In recent times I've fallen into the trap of treating every day as a special occasion. Yeah, it's been terrible. One day needs a Prum to celebrate dinnertime and the next a bottle of Azelia Barolo to celebrate getting the corkscrew out of the top draw.

I'm starting to notice holes in my Eurocave. Where once there were plenty of happy little labels looking up at me, I am now filling in gaps with labels that really don't deserve to be there... just so I don't have to stare into the abyss that a gap in the cellar becomes.

I need help folks... I'm looking for every day drinkers. I just wondered what everyone drinks when they aren't pulling from the top drawer.

I'd love to know producers from top regions and marginal regions that I can rely on to make me happy for under £20-25 (same in $ I guess these days!).

I am happy for any region to be covered... it is important for me that these are producer-led wines, not any sort of branded wine (I know, I can't imagine anyone here would recommend anything else anyway).

I reckon this could be a great list to help all... we don't seem to talk about every day drinkers enough. Meanwhile, too much infanticide is probably going on in cellars around the world...

thank you

Barolo and Burgs, Claret and Cali, Priorat and Prum... yum! https://hookandfordwines.com/
Post #: 1
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 11:15:54 AM   
GalvezGuy

Seems to me we had a thread on that a while back but I am too lazy to find it. For me it is pretty simple they have to be food friendly and less than $20. Places where I have had great luck (without getting specific)

Costières-de-Nîmes
Portugal
Loire (especially Whites)
Sicily
Some Cali Zins - Ottomino comes immediately to mind
South Africa Chenin Blanc
Cotes du Rhône (red and white)
Alsace Riesling (the regular Trimbach bottling is almost always great)
Norton Privada
Aussie Riesling
Cava
Prosecco
Spanish Reds - especially Garnacha and Monastrell
Some Carmenere from Chile

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 2
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 11:24:14 AM   
DoubleD1969

Good Craft Beer, preferably from tap in town or if I am in NYC, fill a growler or two

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 3
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 11:26:46 AM   
jmcmchi

I am with GalvezGuy.

On Aussie riesling you should find Grosset, Best's, Jim Barry in the price range.

For UK specifically I would look at Aldi's own label Exquisite collection - most under GBP10

I also hear that Costco UK had the Dead Arm for GBP22

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 4
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 12:29:46 PM   
fingers

Some of my current value plays from Europe, since you should find these easier than US wines.
I only mention vintage on the two where I think it might matter. The others are pretty solid year-in year-out.
Rough values in USD

Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Granges 18.
Vecchie Terre di Montefili Chianti Classico 18.
Domaine Vrignaud Chablis 17.
Domaine Jean Royer Le Petit Domaine (Le Petit Roy) 17.
Neil Ellis Pinotage Stellenbosch 16.
Bodegas Elías Mora Toro Viñas Elías Mora 15.
2009 Château Pierre de Montignac 15.
2014 Azienda Agricola Le Ragnaie Rosso Toscana IGT 15.

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 5
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 12:35:46 PM   
PinotPhile

Adding to Galvez Guy: Chilean Cabs from Valle Central, Chardonnay (they make lots of both)

Argentina: Mendoza Malbec, Torrontes' as an alternative to Chardonnay
Australia: Shiraz such as Jacob's Creek, Penfolds Rawson's, Lindeman's Chardonnay

Cheers!

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 6
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 12:52:01 PM   
RockinCabs

You are fortunate to be living in the UK where well aged bordeaux is extremely plentiful at a low price point.

I would suggest off-vintage classified growths (94, 99, and 02) or Bordeaux superior from great vintages (00, 05). Chateau Beaumont and many others can be had for under 150 pounds/case.

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 7
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 12:57:54 PM   
chaz91

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

I also hear that Costco UK had the Dead Arm for GBP22

Indeed they do - I find Costco a great place to go for this purpose. I've had luck with Domaine Drouhin Oregon Pinot, Chateaus Barde Haut and L'Arrosee, and 2010 Banfi Brunello, all for around the £17 mark.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 8
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 1:27:03 PM   
Eddie

Bisceglia Aglianico del Vulture Gudarra 2009
Just about any Aglianico from Tenuta del Portale in any vintage

There is an ocean of good cheap Carmenere from Chile on the market. I bought a bunch of 2011 Viña San Pedro Carménère Single Vineyard 1865 and a few bottles of 2011 TerraNoble Carménère Gran Reserva, both in the $14 range, and both were just excellent, stuff I could drink all the time and not get tired of it. Heck of a deal in that price range.

(in reply to chaz91)
Post #: 9
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 1:28:42 PM   
ckinv368

quote:

ORIGINAL: GalvezGuy

Seems to me we had a thread on that a while back but I am too lazy to find it. For me it is pretty simple they have to be food friendly and less than $20. Places where I have had great luck (without getting specific)

Costières-de-Nîmes
Portugal
Loire (especially Whites)
Sicily
Some Cali Zins - Ottomino comes immediately to mind
South Africa Chenin Blanc
Cotes du Rhône (red and white)
Norton Privada
Aussie Riesling
Cava
Prosecco
Spanish Reds - especially Garnacha and Monastrell
Some Carmenere from Chile

I agree with GG---we have great success with Spanish and generic Rhone. We drink far more red than white, and this still works well for us.

After the two bottles of claret, we had three bottles of Krug . . . one for love, one for country, and one for symmetry. -- A.J. Liebling

When in doubt, sip your dessert.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 10
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 2:23:38 PM   
kingkanu

Chianti
Bourgogne rouge / blanc
Plenty of German Riesling, even some prum
Spain and South Africa give a lot at that level

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 11
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 2:32:31 PM   
CranBurgundy

Okay, let's get one thing straight:

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK BAD WINE.

Therefore, I have no problem opening JJ Prüm any day. However, when you have 7 cases on hand minimum at any given time and like to keep 9-ish as the stock level, the outlook might be a little different than if you only had a few bottles around. We also purchase Shafer-Froelich, JJ Christoffel, and Keller by the case. It's rare that we don't bring a bottle of Riesling to a dinner out. That being said, allow me to give you my favorite QPR from Germany: Heinz Eiffel Spatlese. Easily found under $15 a bottle, it's the best value in Mosel Riesling. Never any guilt opening a bottle on a Tuesday night when it only costs a couple dollars more than Kung Fu Girl. 2015 is just out now, and if it is better than 2013 as every indication points towards, it's going to make a lot of people wonder why they should spend twice as much on some other brands.

Next tip is for the Burghounds who enjoy softer cinnamon spiced, red fruited, light to medium bodied characteristics: Joseph Drouhin Cote de Beaune-Villages. It's no Comte de Vogüé, but for under $30 a bottle it's a great drink. Our first experience with it was 2005 which was surprisingly approachable for that vintage. Can't go wrong with it in any year, but '07, '11 and '14 have lighter acidity and body. Nice fruit in the '09. It's tough to find any of this except the more recent vintages. It's the ONLY bottles of Burgundy my wife and I truly enjoy under $50.

Cabs are relatively easier. Under $20: Educated Guess, Rutherford Ranch, and H3 are all good QPR in the quality vintages. Increase your budget to the $25-ish range and you can get Sebastiani Alexander Valley, Hagen's Reserve, Textbook, and both Crazy Creek and Charming Creek from the Goldschmidts.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ckinv368)
Post #: 12
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 2:49:56 PM   
barolo300

Thank you everyone so far... very helpful.

Just to be clear, i am looking for specific wines and producers rather than regions. And it's not that I'm not happy to open exceptional wine everyday, I just don't want to get complacent.

My loves are Riesling, Nebbiolo, Claret, Champagne, Loire Whites, Northern Rhone reds and Burgs.

I basically want insider tips. Something you've found and you can't believe it is under £25-30. And you are happy to drink it a couple of times a week.

Not to sound snobbish, but I tend not to shop in supermarkets for wine. I have a wine business and am doing my diploma, i tend to find a lot of wine inadequate. I can't put it any better way than that.

I just know so many of you will be the same and have found the small producers from the great regions... i want to learn from your experiences...

Barolo and Burgs, Claret and Cali, Priorat and Prum... yum! https://hookandfordwines.com/

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 13
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 2:51:51 PM   
barolo300

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

Okay, let's get one thing straight:

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO DRINK BAD WINE.

Therefore, I have no problem opening JJ Prüm any day. However, when you have 7 cases on hand minimum at any given time and like to keep 9-ish as the stock level, the outlook might be a little different than if you only had a few bottles around. We also purchase Shafer-Froelich, JJ Christoffel, and Keller by the case. It's rare that we don't bring a bottle of Riesling to a dinner out. That being said, allow me to give you my favorite QPR from Germany: Heinz Eiffel Spatlese. Easily found under $15 a bottle, it's the best value in Mosel Riesling. Never any guilt opening a bottle on a Tuesday night when it only costs a couple dollars more than Kung Fu Girl. 2015 is just out now, and if it is better than 2013 as every indication points towards, it's going to make a lot of people wonder why they should spend twice as much on some other brands.

Next tip is for the Burghounds who enjoy softer cinnamon spiced, red fruited, light to medium bodied characteristics: Joseph Drouhin Cote de Beaune-Villages. It's no Comte de Vogüé, but for under $30 a bottle it's a great drink. Our first experience with it was 2005 which was surprisingly approachable for that vintage. Can't go wrong with it in any year, but '07, '11 and '14 have lighter acidity and body. Nice fruit in the '09. It's tough to find any of this except the more recent vintages. It's the ONLY bottles of Burgundy my wife and I truly enjoy under $50.

Prum is a love of ours and we drink it regularly but I want to know everything about German riesling... all tips welcome!

Will give the Drouhin a go. An every day Burg I actually like would be great..

Thank you

Post #: 14
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 3:11:37 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: barolo300

Prum is a love of ours and we drink it regularly but I want to know everything about German riesling... all tips welcome!

Will give the Drouhin a go. An every day Burg I actually like would be great..

Thank you

You're quite welcome! I noticed you mentioned you enjoy Loire Valley whites - another of our favorites. Huet demi-secs, particularly Le Haut Lieu, are fantastic and allow you to drink truly world class wine at the top of your limit. JC Pichot makes some nice Vouvray too and well within your budget. Try the Le Peu de la Moriette. 2010 and 2013 were pretty good vintages and can still be found. Another decent one to try around the $20 mark is Francois Pinon. Both the Le Trois Argiles and Les Deronnieres are around the demi-sec sweetness level and very easy to drink.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 15
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 5:08:02 PM   
jmcmchi

Burgundy is too much of a gamble for me at that price (indeed any price if I have not tasted it)... You should be able to get Giant Steps PN (Applejack or Sexton vineyards, possibly Laetitia) from the Yarra around 20GBP - equal to many village wines if not 1ers crus.

Bordeaux - I'd drink Pipeau or Cap de Faugeres any day.

And if you like German riesling, try the Dr Loosen joint venture with Washington based Ch Ste Michelle - Eroica

Post #: 16
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/7/2016 9:47:53 PM   
Slye

This is perhaps not directly responsive to the OP, particularly after the clarification, but I have a few suggestions generally:

1. Find a wine store or person who you trust, and start to pay attention to their value deals. (It sounds like you are in the wine business, so this is perhaps not very useful advice.)

2. I tend to go for good blends on the daily drinkers. One wine I recommend to friends who are not that into wine but like relatively good wine is Wolftrap from South Africa.

3. If you are on wineberserkers, the berserker day sale is a great opportunity to try a wide variety of wines at a good discount. Veleta is a wine that I find is very high on value. Last year they had a 2005 Cab that I think was 10 (or at most 20) dollars a bottle. Really lovely, and a great value. (They are Spanish, so maybe you can find them more easily where you are -- and they have great sardines, sherry vinegar, olive oil, and canned tuna that are also sold at discount as part of berserkerday).

4. Finally, I like to go local -- so for me, Washington State. Again, if I recall correctly you are in the UK, so perhaps this is not so useful. But we have tried some good local wines (also some less good) and have found some good gems -- Savage Grace is a good new find.

I know you were asking for specific producers, so I apologize for not providing that (in most parts) in my response!

Good luck!

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 17
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/8/2016 3:05:58 AM   
DoubleD1969

For under $50 if you want a white wine:
German Rieslings from Mosel especially Spatlese
Domaine Huet
Haven't drank a Condrieu I didn't like
Young Rousannes and Marsannes from the Rhone

For under $50 if you want a red wine:
La Rioja Gran Reservas
Burgundy, yes ... but the catch is that you have to buy them directly from the source. I prefer the riper vintages like 2003, 2005, 2009. Prices are definitely a fraction of what you can find in retail if you can even find them there.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 18
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/8/2016 3:43:13 AM   
Yossarian

barolo300,

As a fellow Londonder we will have access to the same kinds of wines.

Burg: Sylvian Pataille Bourgonge Chapitre (OW Loeb's stock it)
Cheap Burg Alternative: Jadot's Chateau des Jacques Moulin-a-vent 2012 - widely available - currently in Sainsbury's at 25% off if you buy 6 (comes in at £9 per) - great stuff
The ubiquitous Guigal Cotes du Rhone is always a decent midweeker.
If you are in the Wine Society, Chablis Replacement - Kumeu Village Chardonnary 2014 - excellent.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 19
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/8/2016 4:39:55 AM   
pclin

Now that I discovered German Rieslings (where have I been all these years?), the best daily drinkers/cellar defenders have to be German Riesling Kabinetts, unbelievable value at $120 Pounds a case IB!

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 20
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/8/2016 9:46:24 AM   
barolo300

Hi all,

Thank you all so far...

Will give the Huet a go for sure, have only had their Cuvee Constance in the past... amazing sweet wine.

Yossarian - I think those are all good shouts, will look into it.

pclin - absolutely right! been sticking to Prum, but am going to make an effort to try out another 5-6 producers and use their Kabinett levels as good daily drinkers...

La Rioja is wonderful - been drinking some 2000's recently, pretty good. Waiting on the 2005's to be ready...

Any sort of absolute gems you have come across that you cannot believe are 15-30 (whichever currency) would interest me... or a producer that can do no wrong...

Just to stick a couple of my own out there...

Finca Villacreces Pruno is amazing for the money
Max Ferdinand Richter is great value for the Mosel, as is SA Prum.
Pick your favourite Barolo producers and give their Barbera a go, they tend to be high quality is the Barolo is...

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 21
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/8/2016 12:05:31 PM   
Samhagen

quote:

Just to be clear, i am looking for specific wines and producers rather than regions. And it's not that I'm not happy to open exceptional wine everyday, I just don't want to get complacent.

My loves are Riesling, Nebbiolo, Claret, Champagne, Loire Whites, Northern Rhone reds and Burgs.

I basically want insider tips. Something you've found and you can't believe it is under £25-30. And you are happy to drink it a couple of times a week.

Not to sound snobbish, but I tend not to shop in supermarkets for wine. I have a wine business and am doing my diploma, i tend to find a lot of wine inadequate. I can't put it any better way than that.

I just know so many of you will be the same and have found the small producers from the great regions... i want to learn from your experiences...

Here is my little gem of recent months:

2008 D'arenberg 'Dry Dam' Riesling.

Aussie Mclaren Vale Riesling. Age has done it WONDERS, and it still has a good 5 years life in it.
Originally a $20AUD bottle, its had a cellar release this year going up to $30AUD.
Question is whether you'll find a British shop with it in stock... I picked up some a while back from winestar (reputable Aussie online retailer), but I'm sure there are others with it in stock also...
This is easily as good as the highly rated Grosset Springvale Riesling which retails for $36AUD for current vintage (Another worthwhile drop).

< Message edited by Samhagen -- 11/8/2016 12:10:27 PM >

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 22
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/8/2016 12:10:37 PM   
GalvezGuy

Giving more specifics

Michel Gassier Costières-de-Nîmes Nostre Païs
E Guigal Cotes du Rhone
Damien Laureau Savennières Le Bel Ouvrage
Michel Delhommeau Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie Cuvée Harmonies
Marc Brédif Chiron
Ernie Els Big Easy Chenin Blanc - despite the obvious name connection, this is a tasty inexpensive SA Chenin
Raats Red Jasper
Ridgeback Cabernet Franc
Post House Penny Black
Trimbach Riesling
Quinta do Crasto Doro
Norton Privada
Bodegas Borsao (especially the Garnacha)
Bodegas Elías Mora
Celler de Cervoles Costers del Segre Cérvoles

< Message edited by GalvezGuy -- 11/8/2016 4:27:28 PM >

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 23
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/8/2016 4:02:25 PM   
ericindc

Some of my favs

2nd the Michel Gassier Costières-de-Nîmes Nostre Païs
Domaine Dublère Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Planchots du Nord ($22-30, depending on vintage)
Denis et Didier Berthollier Vin de Savoie Chignin-Bergeron Un Cru Une Exception ($20, bigger white for rhone lovers)
People's Wine Revolution Grenache ($13, surprisingly good)
Chateau Belle-vue Haut-medoc ($22)
Château Meyney (($25)
Hudellot-Noellet Passetoutgrains ($20)
François Villard Viognier Les Contours de DePoncins ($27)
Domaine Jean Royer Le Petit Domaine (Le Petit Roy) - Just great every year ($17)

-Eric
Just waiting for my Grand Cru to age.

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 24
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/9/2016 4:23:59 AM   
Yossarian

For another very good Burg producer, from Marsannay - Marsannay 'Les Grasses Tetes' Domaine Coillot, Burgundy 2011. A belter of a wine, although avoid the 2013. Winesearcher is your friend. About £25 per.

New April 2021 Mix Here

(in reply to ericindc)
Post #: 25
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/10/2016 6:27:14 AM   
BigJ

I agree with the Kumeu river village, any vintage in the last 5 years has been on the money.
Another from New Zealand is the Te Mata Awatea, a Bordeaux styled blend, 2013 and 2014 are sensational and at less than 20 pounds I believe.

(in reply to Yossarian)
Post #: 26
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/10/2016 6:49:22 AM   
JGerbasIII

quote:

If you are in London, I would suggest a early summer trip to the Mosel. I could point you in the right direction and make some phone calls.

Cheers,
John

(in reply to barolo300)
Post #: 27
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/10/2016 8:15:14 AM   
racerchris

quote:

ORIGINAL: fingers

2009 Château Pierre de Montignac 15.

I will add that the 2010 is very good after a lengthy decant, the 2011 is already drinking well, but the 2012 may take a while to come around.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 28
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/10/2016 9:31:28 AM   
barolo300

Hi JGerbas

Thank you - that would be very useful! Was already planning a mosel trip to do in the next year or too...

(in reply to JGerbasIII)
Post #: 29
RE: Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... - 11/10/2016 10:14:37 AM   
Old Doug

Just reading through this thread really makes me thirsty.

quote:

ORIGINAL: pclin

Now that I discovered German Rieslings (where have I been all these years?), the best daily drinkers/cellar defenders have to be German Riesling Kabinetts, unbelievable value at $120 Pounds a case IB!

Agreed that there are very good values. The pricing structure - the sweeter they are, the more expensive they are - plays right into one's desire for something not quite so sweet. Prüm for sure, and I put Selbach-Oster and Dönnhoff right in there too.

Dr. Loosen - the lower-level stuff is quite serviceable and there are some darn good single-vineyard Rieslings.

quote:

quote:

Trimbach Riesling

No doubt - Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Sylvaner - in the U.S. these are $10 or $12, sometimes less. Pinot Blanc - some variation year-to-year but when it's really "on" it's got that toasty character that really good Champagne has.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Interesting Daily Drinkers/Cellar Defenders... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI