CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/15/2016 6:41:32 PM   
atkinson_b2

Late to the thread here, but I believe I'll open a bottle of Schrader tomorrow, and give a big toast to Brad.

WineBerg - CT
WB: Berg Atkinson

(in reply to wineismylife)
Post #: 91
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/15/2016 9:35:50 PM   
caeleric

hello all! been awhile.

at dinner with dontime and his lovely bride this week he mentioned this thread. We will be on the road all day, so I stayed up until midnight and finished the last glass of my first bottle 2014 CT Dubrul Cabernet. A wine I would have never experienced were it not for CT, as a toast to a wonderful man I would have never met were it not for CT.

I had the opportunity to break bread with Brad on a few occasions, and teed it up one time as well. Brad was so very generous and a very caring man. He will be dearly missed.

Cheers to you, my friend

The Lord says, “Wine, both old and new, is robbing my people of their senses! (‭Hosea‬ ‭4‬:‭11‬ GNB)

what i got

(in reply to atkinson_b2)
Post #: 92
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/15/2016 11:13:36 PM   
PinotPhile

Excerpted from Hollowine:

"Open That Bottle Night (OTBN)

It was originally started with the realization that many wine collectors save "special" bottles for an occasion that may be few and far between. So the founders of it (wine writers for Wall Street Journal or NY Times if I recollect) set the last Saturday in February as OTBN...meaning you wanted your occasion, here it is. Or in Nike speak...Just Do It!

So my thought was, Brad and I had many special bottles we bought and planned to drink together, and I'm going to open some on the 16th in his memory. I don't want this to be exclusive of anyone so open what you will...your Secret Santa gift, a Bottle in Common with Brad's cellar, a bottle you are holding for a "special occasion" or just pop a cork and make a post. No drama. Just friends and wine."

Very nicely stated. Really like the underlined part. And, a very meaningful reason for OTBN.

Have done prior traditional OTBNs in Feb, but this type is a first.

< Message edited by PinotPhile -- 12/17/2016 12:36:19 AM >

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 93
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 5:30:17 AM   
racerchris

My cellar and Brad's cellar have no common wines but one of my favorite Napa Cabs is in my ready to drink (OTBN) cooler in the kitchen.
A 2010 Merryvale Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley will be opened in Brad's honor tonight.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to PinotPhile)
Post #: 94
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 4:13:12 PM   
mtpisgah

I decided to open a 2011 No Girls Grenache tonight since Brad also had it in his cellar. It was decanted for about two hours while we were at Dr C's work Christmas party. It is much lighter than expected, a bit of Walla Walla funky which is expected, and tart cherry. I am going to let it decant a bit longer before consuming more and see how it is with food.

Paul

I read books to pass the time until the next bottle of wine.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 95
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 4:34:54 PM   
cookiefiend

A 2005 Macauley Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To-Kalon Vineyard for us tonight.

Cheers Brad! Rest in peace big guy!

"Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"

Dawn

'After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.'
Aldous Huxley

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 96
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 4:59:08 PM   
skifree

quote:

ORIGINAL: mtpisgah

I decided to open a 2011 No Girls Grenache tonight since Brad also had it in his cellar. It was decanted for about two hours while we were at Dr C's work Christmas party. It is much lighter than expected, a bit of Walla Walla funky which is expected, and tart cherry. I am going to let it decant a bit longer before consuming more and see how it is with food.

Thanks for the tip - looked at his cellar and found he has quite a bit of Cayuse - including the 2012 Bionic Frog. Happy to open one in his honor tonight.

So much wine, so little time

(in reply to mtpisgah)
Post #: 97
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 5:01:24 PM   
mclancy10006

SQN Imposter McCoy 1997 - not as good as when we had it with Brad, but a nice complex smokey wine none the less.

(in reply to skifree)
Post #: 98
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 5:04:05 PM   
fingers

I'm calling an audible and switching to a 2011 Maison Ilan Charmes-Chambertin Aux Charmes Hautes because I couldn't get to my offsite to pull a SQN or Beaucastel. I do have Pahlmeyer at home, but I'm also fighting a cold so I'd rather waste a questionable MI on my effected palate. The wine is turning out to be fine.... not $100 fine, but at least it isn't swill.

Nothing would make this whole evening and gathering of wine lovers more special than to know that our honor brings some comfort, joy, and happiness to Lesley. Hollow, I trust that you've made her aware of what's happening and how many are paying tribute and respect.

Cheers everyone

RIP Brad

(in reply to cookiefiend)
Post #: 99
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 5:19:55 PM   
Jack667

Opened a 2005 Lewis Cab - one of my matching bottles and enjoying it tonight. I don't drink so much nice wine on my own so I'm very appreciative to have the opportunity, but sad on the occasion to think about the loss to our community and especially to his family.
Cheers!

CT review 1 of my fav wines: "like a balance that's achieved with every voice shouting at equal volume"
That's not just my taste profile, it’s a life choice!
My Wine

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 100
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 6:39:24 PM   
khmark7

Planning on opening a 2006 Andrew Will Sorella, but likely on Monday night due to work obligations and weather related nonsense.....

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 101
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 6:40:15 PM   
CranBurgundy

Finally made the decision to go with a Shafer because I saw Brad was a fan. RIP.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Jack667)
Post #: 102
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 7:11:52 PM   
musedir

Could not find the FM Cab I wanted to pour, but I did find a fine 2010 Cab, Efeste Big Papa, that will do just right. Deep color, bouquet still opening up and decidedly excellent taste. I toast our absent friend and bon vivant, Brad Dubner. And we send our sincerest condolences to his lovely bride Lesley. Best wishes.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 103
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 7:53:58 PM   
DoubleD1969

Opened a 2006 Beaucastel that Drycab had in his cellar. Felt younger and more primary than the bottles we had in CdP trip. It was good to toast Brad. Hope he is smiling.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 104
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 8:02:06 PM   
River Rat

Never knew Brad or interacted with him but a member of the wine community is family to me. Popped a '14 Patiné Soberanes Pinot Noir. Mike Smith does SLH. Cheers to you DryCab!

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 105
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 10:10:47 PM   
wadcorp

Hey, Brad. I know you're out there. Listening in on this exchange. Chuckling at us, not with us.

Just wanted you to know that Catherine & I did open the 2010 Keplinger Red Slope, and gave you a toast. Yeah, not a cab. Sue me. But it is a wine we have in common in our cellars.

Thanks for being here at CellarTracker. For the valuable feedback on my wine questions. For letting me work on a wine label for you.

Also thanks for the invitation to come by Maison Drycab for a visit. Wish we hadn't put it off. Thought we had all kinds of time.

Just want you to know we're thinking of you.

"Wine is light held together by moisture."
— Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 106
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 10:22:05 PM   
bretrooks

I never had the pleasure of meeting Brad, but it's easy to see that many lives were touched by his just by the remembrances I've read here on the forum. Raising a glass (of 2012 CT Bacchus Syrah) to him and his family this evening, remembering friends and loved ones who have moved on, and gratefully considering the blessings of life.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 107
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 10:52:23 PM   
Franklin 10

I looked thru Drycab's Consumed list to see if there was something to "share". Wow , I'm sure there are a lot of other ways to document a life well lived but amongst us winos, well, I tip my hat to you sir.

Nothing from that list in common but in the Cellar we both had 2008 Alban Reva. Nice juice and no better reason to OTB and in fact it was a pleasure so...

Thanks Brad and cheers!

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 108
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 11:07:20 PM   
hankj

4 of us opened 5 bottles of quality wine tonight, had a wine lovin' throw down hoedown in honor of your friend Brad. The spirit we brought was it's all just a bottle of wine, greedily slurped the ones that we liked, mercilessly dumped without regret one that did not please. Take away was priorities - in the end it's about family, friends, sharing good times and good will, and appreciating that in the moment.

Thanks for setting this up, thankful for the good spirit that emanated from the man himself, may he rest in peace.

< Message edited by hankj -- 12/16/2016 11:08:05 PM >

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

Post #: 109
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/16/2016 11:29:01 PM   
BornToRhone

A bit late, but I am rasising a glass to Brad as I sit here in the Narita Admirals Club. All the wine in disappointingly plonk, and not a single 100% cab, but I am raising a cab-syrah blend Pays d'Or none the less! Cheers, Brad!

-- The answer may not lie at the bottom of a bottle of wine, but you should at least check. --

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 110
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2016 3:59:28 AM   
musedir

Hey there Florida chums. Hope your holidays are good. Cheers.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to caeleric)
Post #: 111
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2016 7:34:22 AM   
recotte

Opened the 2007 Checkerboard, and it was fabulous. Didn't get around to the Lillian or Graham's, so I'm thinking I'll make this an OTBW (weekend) and bring the Lillian to a dinner tonight.

Brad was a big enough personality that he can handle more than one night of toasts in his honor.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 112
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2016 9:16:44 AM   
S1

It started with a big hug at Charleston Offlineorama I. Brad had been my sounding board/guru/complaint department as I planned the weekend. At the Burgundy Thursday dinner at the old Chez S1, he walked in the door and hugged me; we hit it off immediately. Before he left Charleston he made the ‘no one would really take me up on this’ offer for HRH and me to come visit them in FL. I guess we showed him! On one of our first visits to their place, a ‘mostly sober’ HRH walked into the sliding glass door. She loved making Brad laugh, but that unintentional act may have provoked the greatest laugh ever. The next time we visited, he had threatened to mark the spot with blue painters tape, and he never failed to bring it up on each subsequent visit.
When we bought our place in FL, Brad and Lesley were our first guests. We bought the place furnished, and had flown down to get keys after the closing. We made dinner plans at a popular local spot, but Brad insisted on seeing the place first. He arrived with a nice toolbox full of brand new tools (which have seen LOTS of use in two years). Our place is not fancy but Brad made a big deal about how well we did and how much he liked it. The golf course is fabulous; Brad was ready for me to join the club.
Brad/Les and S2/Mrs S2 joined HRH and me at Bern’s for our 30th anniversary. We drank some of the greatest wines I have ever tasted that night. We were staying at the Epicurean so we were able to do ‘pregame’ there, then stumble home after dinner. Pregame for Brad usually meant Salon, and this was no exception. Then, of course, after we agreed on the wines (and budget), Brad had to buy that ’70 DRC Échézeaux (wink wink Scott H).
That brings us to OTBN.
As much as I have been looking forward to this tribute, it is still very painful. Bradley and I were working on some fun plans for this winter. He really wanted me to find a way to bring Charleston oyster clusters to south FL so we could throw them on the grill. He wanted to make me his Florida Cioppino, a dish of which he was really proud. Great food, great wine and better friendship. He would have approved of this lineup--stellar wines (and noe from Thomas Rivers Brown).

for drycab
16 December 2016

Limoncello Sips (final blend finished on 15 Dec)
S1’s Smoked Fish Dip
Croustades

Gougères à Françoise Potel
NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée

Roasted Local Oysters
Sautéed Shaved Fennel
Drawn Compound Butter Emulsion with Crystal Hot Sauce and Rendered Pork Fat
2008 François Raveneau, Chablis 1er Cru “Vaillons”
2012 Sine Qua Non, In the Abstract

Grilled Three Week Dry-Aged Rib Roast
Sauce Béarnaise
Melted Swiss Chard and Duck Fat Fingerling Potatoes
2010 Corra Cabernet Sauvignon
2006 Hourglass Cabernet Sauvignon
2007 Joseph Phelps Insignia

Persian Lime Sorbet

Banana Bread Pudding
Warm Bourbon Sauce

I printed the menu with the same font as that first memorable dinner.
HRH and I shared quite a few Florida smoked fish dips with Brad and Les. No tribute meal would be proper without my spin on that dish as a starter.
At Charleston Offlineorama I, we started the Burgundy Thursday dinner at the old Chez S1 with Françoise Potel’s recipe for Gougères. They are one of the great pairings with full-bodied Champagne.
Oysters on the grill…
I made a compound butter with rendered pork fat and added sautéed fennel atop the oysters. Brad introduced me to Crystal Hot Sauce so I just had to incorporate it into the dish.
Dry-aged Prime rib roast—started in the oven/finished on the Weber—‘nuff said.
In honor of Brad’s magical, ever bearing Lime tree, killed by a rogue freeze in January (I hate 2016), sorbet for a palate cleanser.
For dessert, HRH’s fave (Mrs S2 also)—banana bread pudding with warm Bourbon sauce. HRH bragged on the dish for ages to Brad and he bugged me to make it for him. After one failed attempt when I left the banana bread in SC and didn’t discover it until I had already started the sauce (insert another Brad belly laugh), I served finally served it to him at our final dinner together last spring.

I miss him so much.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

Post #: 113
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2016 9:31:04 AM   
Hollowine

quote:

ORIGINAL: recotte

Opened the 2007 Checkerboard, and it was fabulous. Didn't get around to the Lillian or Graham's, so I'm thinking I'll make this an OTBW (weekend) and bring the Lillian to a dinner tonight.

Brad was a big enough personality that he can handle more than one night of toasts in his honor.

I just finished 7 nights of toasts to him.

He could handle it. He could handle anything.

Nice pick on the wines my friend.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 114
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2016 9:58:05 AM   
rlp805

We toasted Drycab with a 2011 Williams Selyem PN, yep not a cab but one of the few bottles that I had in common with him and by far the closest to the drinking window.

-Richard

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 115
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2016 7:39:13 PM   
ern1

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1

It started with a big hug at Charleston Offlineorama I. Brad had been my sounding board/guru/complaint department as I planned the weekend. At the Burgundy Thursday dinner at the old Chez S1, he walked in the door and hugged me; we hit it off immediately. Before he left Charleston he made the ‘no one would really take me up on this’ offer for HRH and me to come visit them in FL. I guess we showed him! On one of our first visits to their place, a ‘mostly sober’ HRH walked into the sliding glass door. She loved making Brad laugh, but that unintentional act may have provoked the greatest laugh ever. The next time we visited, he had threatened to mark the spot with blue painters tape, and he never failed to bring it up on each subsequent visit.
When we bought our place in FL, Brad and Lesley were our first guests. We bought the place furnished, and had flown down to get keys after the closing. We made dinner plans at a popular local spot, but Brad insisted on seeing the place first. He arrived with a nice toolbox full of brand new tools (which have seen LOTS of use in two years). Our place is not fancy but Brad made a big deal about how well we did and how much he liked it. The golf course is fabulous; Brad was ready for me to join the club.
Brad/Les and S2/Mrs S2 joined HRH and me at Bern’s for our 30th anniversary. We drank some of the greatest wines I have ever tasted that night. We were staying at the Epicurean so we were able to do ‘pregame’ there, then stumble home after dinner. Pregame for Brad usually meant Salon, and this was no exception. Then, of course, after we agreed on the wines (and budget), Brad had to buy that ’70 DRC Échézeaux (wink wink Scott H).
That brings us to OTBN.
As much as I have been looking forward to this tribute, it is still very painful. Bradley and I were working on some fun plans for this winter. He really wanted me to find a way to bring Charleston oyster clusters to south FL so we could throw them on the grill. He wanted to make me his Florida Cioppino, a dish of which he was really proud. Great food, great wine and better friendship. He would have approved of this lineup--stellar wines (and noe from Thomas Rivers Brown).

for drycab
16 December 2016

Limoncello Sips (final blend finished on 15 Dec)
S1’s Smoked Fish Dip
Croustades

Gougères à Françoise Potel
NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée

Roasted Local Oysters
Sautéed Shaved Fennel
Drawn Compound Butter Emulsion with Crystal Hot Sauce and Rendered Pork Fat
2008 François Raveneau, Chablis 1er Cru “Vaillons”
2012 Sine Qua Non, In the Abstract

Grilled Three Week Dry-Aged Rib Roast
Sauce Béarnaise
Melted Swiss Chard and Duck Fat Fingerling Potatoes
2010 Corra Cabernet Sauvignon
2006 Hourglass Cabernet Sauvignon
2007 Joseph Phelps Insignia

Persian Lime Sorbet

Banana Bread Pudding
Warm Bourbon Sauce

I printed the menu with the same font as that first memorable dinner.
HRH and I shared quite a few Florida smoked fish dips with Brad and Les. No tribute meal would be proper without my spin on that dish as a starter.
At Charleston Offlineorama I, we started the Burgundy Thursday dinner at the old Chez S1 with Françoise Potel’s recipe for Gougères. They are one of the great pairings with full-bodied Champagne.
Oysters on the grill…
I made a compound butter with rendered pork fat and added sautéed fennel atop the oysters. Brad introduced me to Crystal Hot Sauce so I just had to incorporate it into the dish.
Dry-aged Prime rib roast—started in the oven/finished on the Weber—‘nuff said.
In honor of Brad’s magical, ever bearing Lime tree, killed by a rogue freeze in January (I hate 2016), sorbet for a palate cleanser.
For dessert, HRH’s fave (Mrs S2 also)—banana bread pudding with warm Bourbon sauce. HRH bragged on the dish for ages to Brad and he bugged me to make it for him. After one failed attempt when I left the banana bread in SC and didn’t discover it until I had already started the sauce (insert another Brad belly laugh), I served finally served it to him at our final dinner together last spring.

I miss him so much.

Really great tribute S1. Thanks for sharing your memories. Brad sounds like an amazing man.
My condolences.
Chris

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 116
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/17/2016 8:13:18 PM   
DoubleD1969

Great write up S1

(in reply to ern1)
Post #: 117
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/18/2016 9:34:29 AM   
BobMilton

Something came up so didn't get the bottle on the 16th, but did last night. Having no bottles in common, but a lover of cab, my wife and I opened a 2013 Larkmead cab. A bit muted (probably too young), but still a very good wine. Will report later after finishing the bottle.

(in reply to DoubleD1969)
Post #: 118
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/18/2016 10:12:56 AM   
schwank

I know Scott has been busy with his family, so I figured I would post a pic from the dinner we had in Brad's honor. We hit up a new restaurant in town 'Q', run by the same folks that ran an old favorite in Portland 'VQ'. The service was great, and the food was excellent... but the company and the wines made the night. I never met Brad, but I know Scott misses him greatly, and it is clear that he touched many on this board. As many of my best friends have been a result of this hobby, I was happy to raise a glass (or several) in honor of a fellow connoisseur.

Every wine here was stellar, though we didn't drink the 05 Thomas. 02 Cedric Bouchard BdN, 08 de La Tour Clos Vougeout, 04 Shafer Hillside Select, 96 Heitz Napa, 00 Clerc Milon, 85 Huet Le Mont Moelleux. A reminder to enjoy the time we have with those we call friends.

< Message edited by schwank -- 12/18/2016 10:14:06 AM >

(in reply to BobMilton)
Post #: 119
RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 - 12/18/2016 2:54:26 PM   
Bob in NC

A little late posting this note. I had arrived home from Tokyo at 9:30 in the evening on the 16th. Anita already had an '06 Joseph Phelps Insignia in the decantor, what we previously agreed to as our tribute wine. While the wine was incredibly smooth and tasty, and I was happy to be back home with Anita, there was a somberness to the evening that was more than my jet lag.

Bob

(in reply to schwank)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: A toast to Drycab - OTBN 12/16/16 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI