CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Costco Riedels - super deal

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Costco Riedels - super deal Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/21/2017 3:33:42 PM   
MindMuse

I have lots of glassware, but am constrained at events at my home where I want several people to have multiple identical glasses, say at a dinner for six or eight where I want a flight of three wines in glass at table so that they can be compared effectively. I'd love to have a couple of cases of Gabriel Glas Golds for this, but until they or money starts growing on my trees that isn't likely.

A solution has presented itself at a remarkably affordable price. I saw a thread on Berserkers on this and checked it out locally (Atlanta).

The glasses are made in Germany by Riedel. They are 25 oz., 9.6 inches high. They are bigger than Riedel restaurant or Vinum Cabs, smaller than Vinum XL Cab, about the size of Vinum Syrah. I find the stem length on this fits the hand better than the regular Riedel.

The price is an unbelievable $17.99 per box. So $2.25 plus tax per stem. Cheaper than wholesale Restaurant Riedels. Costco must have done a deal with Riedel for an enormous number of these. They were an endcap item at my store, with - I don't know- at least 75 or more boxes out. I called ahead, and they said every Costco in Atlanta had them. If you want to call your store ahead, ask if they have stock item #1040005 and you'll get a quick answer.

Some people on WB found some common minor flaws - short scratch marks near stem junction or wobbliness - but I did not note any on any of the 16 glasses I examined. They are well made, and I will return for at least one more box, probably two. I won't use them as part of my go to personal arsenal, but keep them stored in the boxes for mass events. They would also be a great recommendation or gift for those wine friends you visit whose stemware just isn't up to snuff.

Pic below shows this stem in the middle, betwixt Riedel Vinum and Riedel Sommelier Bordeaux stems.

... she uncorked it and put it to her lips. "I know something interesting is sure to happen," she said to herself, "whenever I eat or drink anything; so I'll just see what this bottle does."
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Post #: 1
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/21/2017 4:29:30 PM   
CranBurgundy

Good tip - just notified my wino Facebook friends.

Thanks!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 2
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/21/2017 5:10:53 PM   
cigar52

We have not seen them here in Sarasota Florida (Central Gulf Coast) but will ask the manager.

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/21/2017 7:38:04 PM   
champagneinhand

Very cool. I need a better set to travel to so wine Meetup in my area where the restaurant always runs short on red glasses.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to cigar52)
Post #: 4
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/21/2017 8:09:18 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Hmmm. Not sure that can be beat anywhere for someone thinking about a tasting room. Will have to seek it out.

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 5
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/21/2017 8:17:40 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChrisinSunnyside

Hmmm. Not sure that can be beat anywhere for someone thinking about a tasting room. Will have to seek it out.

Stock up man!

Hey Dennis - Do the glasses say RIEDEL on the base like their actual product does?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 6
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/21/2017 11:22:50 PM   
MindMuse

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

Stock up man!

Hey Dennis - Do the glasses say RIEDEL on the base like their actual product does?

They do not carry the RIEDEL mark.

Post #: 7
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/22/2017 2:24:32 AM   
AngryPrez

saw the Berserkers thread too, and went to Costco near Quakerbridge mall (NJ) yesterday and picked up two boxes, planning to host some business events at our house. These are not going to be confused for my Zalto's, but a great deal, and this way when someone breaks one it's not going to cause any angst.

I like to drink wine more than I used to. Anyway, I'm drinking more. - Don Corleone

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 8
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/22/2017 2:16:20 PM   
Endodr

I didn't see these glasses at my local Costco. Can you buy them online?

(in reply to AngryPrez)
Post #: 9
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/22/2017 5:56:26 PM   
recotte

Thanks for the heads up on these. I was making a CostCo run today anyway, so I kept my eye out for these and snagged a couple of boxes.

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Endodr)
Post #: 10
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/22/2017 7:42:18 PM   
mye

Saw these and got 2 boxes. truly unbelievable price for crystal stem. great for dinner parties.

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 11
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/22/2017 9:14:38 PM   
dj_plusone

I picked up a box last weekend. I'm happy with them so far. Good deal for the quality.

My Current Juice

(in reply to mye)
Post #: 12
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/23/2017 1:40:25 PM   
arcprise

Bought a box yesterday and used last night for football game party where Zaalto's are too dangerous!

(in reply to dj_plusone)
Post #: 13
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/24/2017 8:11:22 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

My Costco had 86 boxes. Now they have 80. One box for a co-worker, 5 for us. I like them, but am thinking they are actually a bit BIG for tasting room glasses. A one ounce pour would get lost. Looks like I'll have to double pour or just wing it if we ever get around to doing formal tastings. Our Costco had another set of 8 for even less ~$15 for a slightly smaller, non-Riedel glass that also looked serviceable. When time comes those might be more useful for bulk purchase.

Logo application is another consideration for me, and I am fine with plain glasses but at some point might want some logo glasses. Those could either be custom ordered, or homemade. I've played a bit with glass etching so I might play with some of these too. Thanks for the heads up, Dennis!

< Message edited by ChrisinSunnyside -- 1/24/2017 8:49:55 AM >

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 14
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/24/2017 9:09:07 AM   
Vietty

Adding another data point:

I also found out about this from Wineberserkers and bought two boxes to test out. Both boxes were fine, no obvious flaws/scratch marks.

For day to day and smaller wine dinners I prefer thinner glassware. These glasses are a bit thicker but will be good for larger wine group or doing head to head with multiple wines. Look forward to not worrying about breakage and throwing them in the dishwasher at the end of the night.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 15
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/24/2017 9:09:24 AM   
brigcampbell

quote:

My Costco had 86 boxes. Now they have 80. One box for a co-worker, 5 for us. I like them, but am thinking they are actually a bit BIG for tasting room glasses. A one ounce pour would get lost. Looks like I'll have to double pour or just wing it if we ever get around to doing formal tastings. Our Costco had another set of 8 for even less ~$15 for a slightly smaller, non-Riedel glass that also looked serviceable. When time comes those might be more useful for bulk purchase.

Logo application is another consideration for me, and I am fine with plain glasses but at some point might want some logo glasses. Those could either be custom ordered, or homemade. I've played a bit with glass etching so I might play with some of these too. Thanks for the heads up, Dennis!

Hey Chris,

when you do go looking for logo glass, you can always ping the cellar rats (ITB) on wineberserkers for advice. they have a dedicated forum in WB.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Sincerely,

-brig campbell

Post #: 16
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/24/2017 9:40:44 AM   
ChrisinCowiche

quote:

ORIGINAL: brigcampbell

Hey Chris,

when you do go looking for logo glass, you can always ping the cellar rats (ITB) on wineberserkers for advice. they have a dedicated forum in WB.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

Thanks brig! I've posted there a few times, but tend to forget about it when there are some obvious things I could/should be asking there. There is another winemakers forum focused toward home winemakers where I've posted a few times. Too many forums, too many annoying e-mails from my day job to keep up with them all. :)

(in reply to brigcampbell)
Post #: 17
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/25/2017 1:31:27 AM   
MindMuse

day jobs...

whose idea was that?

Post #: 18
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/25/2017 3:16:15 AM   
musedir

quote:

ORIGINAL: MindMuse

day jobs...

whose idea was that?

quote:

day jobs...

whose idea was that?

A decidedly awful concept. Instead, let me tell you of the days of high adventure (cue the music).

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 19
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/25/2017 2:10:00 PM   
gduncanjr

Thanks for the heads up. Bought my glasses today at Costco in Southlake, TX @ $17.99 per box.

(in reply to MindMuse)
Post #: 20
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/25/2017 4:46:53 PM   
BenNoir

I bought a pack today, and I thought it was interesting that right next to the Kirkland Riedel glasses were... Riedel stems. The Riedel stems were in a box of 8 marked as 8 glasses for the price of 6 - which was $109.

The Real Riedel glasses were a little shorter than the Costco brand, and the glass was a little thinner.
I still bought the Costco brand. 8 glasses for $18 or 8 glasses for $109?

< Message edited by bennor -- 1/25/2017 4:47:16 PM >

"Water is for the Garden"
"Wine is for the Man"

(in reply to gduncanjr)
Post #: 21
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/26/2017 1:49:50 PM   
BenNoir

Oops, got them home and they were too tall for my shelf. I can't handle glasses over 9.25 inches. I'll return them.

"Water is for the Garden"
"Wine is for the Man"

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 22
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/26/2017 2:32:22 PM   
CranBurgundy

Told a friend who's a Costco member about these. Her and her husband are our regular wine & dine partners. She sent her husband out today to grab 3 boxes - 1 for them, and 2 for us. It'll be nice to have decent guest / every day stems from a good manufacturer instead of the Bed, Bath, and Beyond or Ikea glasses my wife bought years ago.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to BenNoir)
Post #: 23
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/26/2017 6:17:08 PM   
GalvezGuy

Went out and bought three boxes today, now wishing I had gotten more for some reason or another.

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

Post #: 24
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/30/2017 7:18:30 AM   
Margaux Bro

buying 4 today... Greenville location has 97 in stock

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 25
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/30/2017 8:31:34 AM   
musedir

Alas, no Costco in Loachapoka.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to Margaux Bro)
Post #: 26
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/30/2017 8:40:33 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: musedir

Alas, no Costco in Loachapoka.

That's the curse of the Boondocks. Probably not many Michelin rated restaurants either, eh?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 27
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/30/2017 12:20:06 PM   
bretrooks

After seeing none a week ago here in San Luis Obispo, there was a big pile of these as an end cap on Saturday. Strangely enough, there were also two types of stemless glasses on the shelf nearby (including SZ) and a set of clumsy Libbey stemmed glasses. I didn't buy any, but I can confirm that the sample I looked at seemed to be of very good quality given the price.

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

Post #: 28
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/31/2017 2:38:21 AM   
ktnjr

I went and picked up one box. Apparently not alot of wine drinkers in Green Bay, WI. Still alot left. Probably will buy other box in a couple of weeks. I also picked up the last 5 bottles of Tablas Creek they had.

(in reply to bretrooks)
Post #: 29
RE: Costco Riedels - super deal - 1/31/2017 11:19:20 AM   
recotte

Picked up another box of these last night, bringing me to 24 total. Should be ample to cover normal breakage rates....

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to ktnjr)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Costco Riedels - super deal Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI