CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Wine Searcher Pro - worth it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/1/2017 8:57:00 PM   
CranBurgundy

Hi guys and gals.

What am I missing by not having the Pro version of Wine Searcher? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it, but there's no trial period that I know of. When I look up some of my favorite bottles, I see "Showing X of Y results" and I'm wondering exactly what they are. Are they even in the US? For instance, 2000 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin has "Showing 1 of 3 results" at the bottom, and 2007 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin has "Showing 8 of 16 results". None of the free entries are in America.

What I want to know is do you think it's worth it? Or could I find the same 'missing' results with a Google search and dig deeper than the first couple pages? Hopefully one or two of you who have the Pro version can assist me with some information.

Thanks!

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23
Post #: 1
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/1/2017 10:11:29 PM   
pclin

Yes, it's worth it for quick comparison of prices and locating the wines. One year subscription comes with 7,500 searches.

< Message edited by pclin -- 3/1/2017 10:12:39 PM >

Alles hat ein Ende, nur die Wurst hat zwei

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 2
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 4:48:23 AM   
smahk

I believe it is worth it. I let mine lapse for two weeks and only realized it when the searches were more meager than usual. I think it saves far more than it costs.

It is a nominal price when you're search for rare or pricey bottles. A few times I have saved almost the entire cost of a years subscription on just finding better pricing for one bottle.

Cin Cin!

(in reply to pclin)
Post #: 3
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 5:43:48 AM   
MaineMark

I like knowing I am getting all of the results, and not leaving a question in my mind.

That said, I have had it for a few years, and don't really remember what I was or was not getting before.

Here is some info on the wines you were looking for:

2000 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin
3 stores listed
All outside the US
Price range from $209/bottle to $488/bottle (quite a range!)

2007 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin
16 stores listed
One is in the US, at Surdky's Liquor and Cheese Shop, for $285
http://shop.surdyks.com/wine/domaine-ponsot-chapelle-chambertin-grand-cru-2007.html

(in reply to smahk)
Post #: 4
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 6:08:30 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mmorrissette

I like knowing I am getting all of the results, and not leaving a question in my mind.

That said, I have had it for a few years, and don't really remember what I was or was not getting before.

Here is some info on the wines you were looking for:

2000 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin
3 stores listed
All outside the US
Price range from $209/bottle to $488/bottle (quite a range!)

2007 Ponsot Chapelle Chambertin
16 stores listed
One is in the US, at Surdky's Liquor and Cheese Shop, for $285
http://shop.surdyks.com/wine/domaine-ponsot-chapelle-chambertin-grand-cru-2007.html

Thank you very much! Considering I paid $309 per magnum and under $200 per 750ml (I don't remember the exact price..... might have been $185?) for the 2007 from a couple of places that regularly pop up on the normal version that I frequent (Flickering and Belmont Wine Exchange), I'd say the Pro version was not worth it in this one particular instance.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to MaineMark)
Post #: 5
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 6:22:14 AM   
mclancy10006

I find pro worth it most of the time, but even when I don't find a difference I want the service to remain so signing up furthers my interests too. :)

-Mark

Post #: 6
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 7:36:33 AM   
Rackit

Agree with others here. If you're buying retail and live in the tri state area, it's essential. The price differences by state can be pretty significant.
Combined with the WMJ data, it's also extremely helpful for checking retail prices around the country when doing auction research. Keeps me from overpaying!

"Anyone who tries to tell you they know everything about wine is obviously a fake" - Leon Adams

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 7
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 7:52:59 AM   
KPB

There was a comment about searching for obscure bottles that aren't part of the current offerings and new releases. I think this hits the key thing. I looked closely at the pro version (a friend has it) but decided not to subscribe because I just don't often buy those kind words of wines, period. For common wines, like new releases of 2015 Burgundy, the regular version is pretty good. Plus, since it is integrated with CT, I get results by clicking just one link.

I've definitely learned to look wines up on CT and to click that link before placing an order. Saves me money pretty often.

But life may have changed with this new draconian shipping policy. Lucky for me that New York is rich with wine sources, and I can find most wines here with too much hassle. Winesearcher was way more valuable when shipping from Oregon or California was easy. Now that shipping is suddenly impossible...

< Message edited by KPB -- 3/2/2017 7:53:43 AM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Rackit)
Post #: 8
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 8:02:03 AM   
SteveG

I think

The way it works is that only stores which pay a(n apparently rather substantial) fee to Wine Searcher are displayed to users who are Not "Pros". I think there may be some other features like saving buy lists and preferred/prohibited stores, but I don't use those.

As someone who buys almost exclusively online, I figure I get my annual fee's worth pretty much every time I buy a case, either with some combination of price savings, proximity/time/freight benefit, or simple availability. Of course as others have said, you won't know wht's "not" listed without signing up...

Post #: 9
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 8:28:14 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SteveG

As someone who buys almost exclusively online, I figure I get my annual fee's worth pretty much every time I buy a case, either with some combination of price savings, proximity/time/freight benefit, or simple availability.

That's another good point: I don't buy exclusively on-line. There are several stores nearby or somewhat local to me that get a large portion of my annual budget. Canal's, Wine Works, Down to Earth Wines, Total Wine, and even Wine Library are anywhere from just a few miles away to an hour+ drive, which is easily in my comfort zone. We've even made a half day road trip out of a Wine Library run, hitting a few stores in North Jersey and stopping at Pluckemin Inn to eat and pick up a few select bottles on the way home.

I appreciate the help. It's making me see there's less value in the Pro version for me.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to SteveG)
Post #: 10
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 3/2/2017 11:05:22 AM   
mc2 wines

Love pro. Think it's totally worth it. Buy a fair amount online (although more auction than Retail), but still find when we need to track down bottles the options are much better on Pro (usually cheaper, more options in area, etc.).

Friends don't let friends wine alone

Post #: 11
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 12/22/2020 9:53:57 PM   
mouton45

I've been with Pro since 2007. My annual subscription is up in two days on Christmas and despite being a loyal customer for 13 years, I too am trying to decide whether to re-up now. I use W-S Pro practically every day, but what has bugged lately is that I'll put in a top-pedigree wine for drinking or cellaring and get a quick response with 15 or 25 stores (sometimes more) - but they're all from plasces like Total Wine and the price is often the same. It seemed strange that Total would be the only retailer that carries them. So I googled the wine and up popped other shops in the U.S. and abroad that are offering it. Huh?? Left me wondering why W-S Pro didn't have those other stores; if I had the free W-S, I'd understand, but I'm paying for extra service. FWIW, my intention is not to rant and diss W-S Pro. Over the years Pro has been invaluable to me, and I happily turned many of my wine group friends onto it. I'm really curious whether other CT forum users have noticed something similar to what I described?? If you have a different viewpoint
than what I've written, I'd welcome your input to help me make this renewal decision. Thanks

Post #: 12
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 12/22/2020 10:43:47 PM   
Paul852

@mouton 45 You should probably check your search preferences - WS Pro has made some significant changes in the last few months in that area, enabling rather more precise focus than previously.

I've been a subscriber for about 3 years now, and am very happy with it. Their customer support is also extremely responsive.

(in reply to mouton45)
Post #: 13
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 12/22/2020 11:43:06 PM   
mouton45

Thanks, I will. I don't recall changing my preferences since 2007, but then maybe I did something accidentally. I'll look into it. Appreciate your input.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 14
RE: Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? - 12/23/2020 12:53:05 AM   
penguinoid

I've been debating this myself — partly because there are quite a few interesting wineries whose wines are imported to Australia but that are then nearly impossible to find in retail shops, for whatever reason. Would be good to be able to find who actually stocks them! (Writing to the importer works in theory, but I've found in practice they don't bother replying to retail customers). I'm still debating the pros and cons...

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

None of the free entries are in America.

Even with the free version, it's possible to limit results to stores in one country. This may get you a few more results, even if it doesn't show all of them.

Probably not a penguin

https://www.cellartracker.com/user.asp?iUserOverride=167981

https://www.instagram.com/penguinoid/
https://blog.wodewose.org/

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Wine Searcher Pro - worth it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI