CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Sonoma Trip Success!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sonoma Trip Success! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sonoma Trip Success! - 4/28/2017 11:05:59 AM   
Vietty

Our group of 4 had a great time in Sonoma last weekend. Thanks to River Rat for making some great suggestions and having a great resource on Wine Berserkers.

Hotel Healdsburg was very relaxing and low key/modern luxe. Prime location for the square which had nice tasting rooms, snacks (ice cream/cookies!), and restaurants.

FRIDAY:

Breathless: A five minute walk out the square. I wanted to start there for some sparkling wine. Cute scenery for the ladies, but I enjoyed the company more than the wines.

Banshee: One of my favorite tastings of the weekend. Our host Zack Holloway was engaging and tasted with us through some great wine. The tasting room has a very relaxed vibe, kind of hipster but they own it. You can also order some small bites that they souce from SHED (YUM). All their wines are acid driven, with lower alcohol (mid 13% range I believe) but all very flavorful and delicious wine. To me, very balanced wine that I can drink with or without food. Had a hard time dumping most of the wine, but it was necessary since Zack was nice enough to pull out some extra wines for us to try and he was really nice about revisiting anything we wanted. We did the regular matched side by side with their high end tasting. It sounds like they became popular for their lower price point wines (e.g. sub $25 sonoma pinot noir and red blend) but are branching out into single vineyard designates more recently and working with Ross Cobb who works at Flowers. If you want to know more about their wines the website is very informative: http://www.bansheewines.com/visit/

2016 Banshee Rose: Fresh, fruity with a hint of savory. Perfect for sunny weather.
2015 Sonoma Coast Chardonnay: refreshing but has a small bitter aftertaste which I didn't enjoy.
2015 Sonoma County Pinot Noir: decent value pinot, fruit forward and finish is not as nice as their higher end offerings
2014 Marine Layer Pinot Noir: enjoyed this a lot more than their sonoma county pinot, fresh fruit, nice tannins but then found out the price point is a bit higher
2014 Mordecai Proprietary Red Blend: easy going with touches of earth to keep it interesting
2014 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon: solid fruit with peppery, leather and tobacco that I attribute to cooler climate style cab, medium silky texture

SVD
2015 Heintz Vineyard Chardonnay: lemon, fresh, finishes with a touch of cream/butter, nice texture. Highlight for me since I don't drink white wine at this price point very often.
2014 Barlow Lane Pinor Noir: brightest/cleanest, comes from a very tiny parcel of land
2014 Rice-Spivak Pinot Noir: earthiest, mushroom/forest floor
2014 Sullivan Vineyard Pinot Noir: most balanced with nice spices
2014 Thorn Ridge Pinot Noir: most grip to me, something to lay down for a bit
2012 Jack Hill Pinot Noir from magnum: nice to try one with a few years of age on it. I remember enjoying it but don't recall specific notes.

Dinner @ Valette
was awesome. A really good value at $15 per course (4 course minimum). We decided on six courses, and they were all delicious. Each couple had different plates as well so it was fun to share with our significant other. We all agreed 4 or 5 courses would be fine, six was a little too much. We purchased a bottle of 2013 Cartograph Pinot Noir, which was a bit of a miss. Not as delicate/fresh and the finish not as nice. I think we were all just a little wined out and preferred the wines from Banshee.

I'm on the right, my wife Fiona on the left.

Nice start with some creamy burrata balanced with the strawberry and balsamic and greens.

The tempura nori was a nice touch, good flavor on the tuna and seaweed.

The aroma of mushrooms was awesome when you popped the puff pastry. Yum.

Foie with rhubarb

Seabass with Italian sausage and peppers, least favorite dish that night

Halibut with the powdered cheese and pork cracklings was really good. The pea/shoots underneath highlighted spring.

Duck breast was a really nice portion for only $15. Strawberry and coacoa nibs was an interesting combo that worked.

House made sausage with asparagus. Very meaty flavor from the protein. Asparagus highlighting spring again.

Beef filet, tender and flavorful

I don't make desserts, so I appreciated this chocolate peanut butter bar. Also had that modern touch with the powder again (forgot what flavor) but it worked well.

I usually prefer chocolate for dessert but this was heavenly. A super buttery but light/fluffy brioche caramelized outside with strawberry sauce and hazelnut butter. I was glad my wife was too full to eat much of this =D

That concludes day one!

< Message edited by Vietty -- 5/16/2017 8:44:51 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/1/2017 11:11:49 AM   
BRR

Great recap, Vietty, thanks for posting. We're heading there in August, so this is helpful!

Cheers!

(in reply to Vietty)
Post #: 2
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/2/2017 10:59:47 AM   
Vietty

SATURDAY:

SHED for breakfast: the salted fish board was the highlight from here. You wouldn't think that would be the first thing you'd want to eat in the morning, but you do! They do a great job with their espresso. Got a cappuccino the first time and a cortado the second time. Wife loved her fresh juice. I bought some bottarga from here and looking forward to making some squid ink pasta from scratch with an uni sauce and grating some of that bottarga on top. They have a beautiful larder in the store with rows of fermenting products. One of the workers there recommended Katz "The Art of Fermentation". It's a large 500+ page book, just started reading it and looking forward to continuing.

Happy group photo

You want this fish board. Yes you do.

Wife's eggs benedict

My polenta with poached egg and mushrooms (very filling).

Arnot Roberts spring release party: nice event with all of the recent release wines in a row, some in magnum form which made it feel more celebratory. All the people pouring were nice except for the woman in the middle who was really stingy with her 1 ounce pours. I literally couldn't even get a mouthful of wine to get an impression, but what the heck it was free. If I wanted more I was free to ask for more I suppose but there were a lot of chatty people blocking the lines. I wish they would step aside while chatting so that the rest of the line can get their wine. My overall impression: whites were more on the savory side/interesting geeky side. The gamay noir was like a juicy california version of Beaujolais. The syrahs (Que Syrah and Clary Ranch) were blue fruit dominated with loads of pepper. Not too dense or heavy/syrupy. Whole cluster, neutral barrels. The cabs were heavy on the tobacco notes and too young/tannic. To be fair, I think my palate was a bit fatigued by this point so I would like to retry on another day.

Rochioli:
we had a picnic at Rochioli which was a very popular idea. Luckily got the last parking spot and last table there to snack on some sandwiches and salad that we purchased from SHED. The last time I was here was about 8 years ago, and it was one of the first pinot noirs that I really enjoyed. I finally got an allocation for 2013 SVD and bought a half case last year, looking forward to drinking them. From this tasting I enjoyed the sauvignon blanc out in the warm sun. The chardonnay was not as bright as the previous day's Banshee Heintz chard. I think they have a larger % oak and do sur lee stirring. Not bad, but to my palate I preferred the Banshee style more.

Littorai: if you ever visit this winery make sure to follow their instructions and not your GPS! We used GPS initially to get us in the area and then their written instructions for the last 15 minutes of the drive. I was able to taste the 2014 Hirsch vineyard at my wife's law firm Christmas party last year and really looked forward to this visit. Honestly, I think my expectations were to high and the tasting had a very corporate and sterile feel. I was surprised that we were not seated for the tasting, instead standing next to a makeshift bar in their small cellar. We went through the wines very quickly (one chard, three pinot noirs, one late harvest wine). To be fair, Maureen was really pleasant and informative and offered to allow us to revisit any of the wines. The wines were very good and Ted Lemon is an amazing wine maker. If you guys haven't heard it, Guildsomm did a great podcast of California chardonnay about 5 years ago and Ted Lemon was a featured guest for part one.

Me and my better half.

Boheme: Kurt Beitler is one of the nicest and easy going wine makers that I've had the pleasure to taste with. I found out about his wine through Berserker Day, and was interested in his cool climate pinot noirs. I like how all his wines are estate grown. They are from "true" Sonoma coast with many photos in the tasting room showcasing how close the vineyards are to the ocean, high above the fog line. Kurt was very generous with opening new fresh bottles for us to try and when I expressed interest in learning what stem inclusion does for the texture/taste of the wine he opened up a different vintage of the same wine to show me the difference 10% stems vs 20% (don't quote me on that number though, as I didn't write down detailed notes). While the previous vintage was good, I think the 2013 was a step up with some of the changes he made. He also educated us about the different pinot clones in his wines. Our group went through quite a few stems that day as he allowed us to do many of the tastes side by side. My overall impression is that I came in with the false preconception that cool climate meant lower density in flavor. These wines are really flavorful with great acidity and silky texture. Alcohol at mid 13% to low 14%. I believe the wines show distinction between vineyard sites. I think all of the wines are ready to drink now, but will benefit from aging 5-10 years. We tasted through the 2013 vintage, but when I found out his 10th anniversary 2014 vintage was almost ready for release I asked to purchase the 2014 since it was my son's birth year. My friend and I split a case with him purchasing 2013 (his twin's birth year) so it will be fun to taste these two vintages together in the future. If you are in the area I highly recommend emailing him to schedule a tasting with him! One caveat, the tasting room is a bit rustic (but charming).

2013 Taylor Ridge Pinot Noir: of the three I felt this one had the most fruit expression and drinking well that day. Easy to go through a whole bottle (and we did since we purchased a bottle of us to go with dinner that night).
2013 English Hill Pinot Noir: fruit is still there, but with earthy/mushroom notes coming in. Moderate round tannin. Nice balance.
2013 Stuller Vineyard Pinot Noir: again the fruit was still there, but I really enjoyed the savory/mineral flavors that backed it up. This wine had the most grip and I felt can really benefit with some time. My favorite wine from here. Something you can have a glass of and enjoy the layers of complexity.
2012 Occidental Hills Syrah: really nice mix of dark red fruits with black olives and pepper. I think the age really helped to integrate the flavors. Nice finish. I was amazed because my wife enjoyed it and she's never liked a syrah before. I think it's because it's not over the top. Nice balance. 80% from Que Syrah vineyard and 20% from English Hill. Unfortunately his last vintage of this wine, and he noted that he may stop opening bottles of this in his tasting room because he's running low.

Chalkboard for dinner: Really tasty food at more than fair pricing. The service was a bit rushed though but understandable as I'm sure they want to flip tables on a Saturday night. Highlights: everyone loved the pork belly biscuits (think pork belly bao but with biscuit instead). Personally, I prefer the soft bun of the pork bao which is more neutral flavored and highlights the pork belly flavor more. However, I can see why this dish would be a crowd favorite. The korean chips are ok, but is a pass if you don't have the appetite. We ordered three the pasta dishes to share. The hare with peas was my favorite, very spring inspired. My friend enjoyed the pork sugo most. The duck with hazelnut with foie gras sauce was a mild miss. I felt like it was too sweet without the flavor to back it up. I've had a foie gras pasta at Acquarello in SF many years ago and that was amazing. This version was off the mark a bit. We also ordered an order of the steak which was also good. For dessert we decided to head to....

Pork belly biscuit, everyone else took theirs and shoved it into their face already =p

Fried chicken thighs. Highly recommend this dish and very reasonable price.

Fingerling potatoes were really good with the fava bean puree. The Korean potato chips were tasty but I liked the other dishes a lot more.

Pasta! Yum.

Hanger steak

Duck pasta a bit off target.

Noble Folk Ice Cream! I wish I had this place locally. Although I'd probably be diagnosed with diabetes pretty soon after. Ecclectic flavors like brown butter sage, strawberry miso, etc. My wife had the homemade oreo which was delicious but I preferred my almond cardamom to cap off the night. Great... now I'm craving ice cream.

That concludes day two!

< Message edited by Vietty -- 5/16/2017 9:46:46 AM >

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 3
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/2/2017 11:01:37 AM   
Vietty

quote:

ORIGINAL: BRR

Great recap, Vietty, thanks for posting. We're heading there in August, so this is helpful!

You're welcome =) Hope you have a great time!

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 4
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/2/2017 5:41:01 PM   
khmark7

Sounds interesting, glad you liked the area.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Vietty)
Post #: 5
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/9/2017 10:46:06 AM   
Vietty

SUNDAY:

Unti: I was disappointed that we weren't able to taste some of their white wines because the Vermentino was one of the reasons why I wanted to come here to taste. The small tasting room is nice. The staff educational and professional, but I was hoping for a more intimate tasting. To me the wines are very fresh/vibrant and clean/modern versions of Italian varietals. I can see these wines really singing with food. I really enjoyed the 2014 Barbera but at that price I felt like I can find better value bottles from Italy that will give pleasure. The stand out wine was the 2014 Montepulciano. Looking forward to seeing how that wine develops over the next 5-10 years.

Lunch at J Vineyards Bubble Room: a bit of a splurge but the meal exceeded my expectations. I told my wife I can see this place getting two Michelin stars if our experience was consistently replicated. The large glass wall looking out into the garden allowed the beautiful natural light to pour in. The bubble chandeliers were very luxe and modern. The colors and mood of the room was very relaxing. The food had a large range of flavors and textures with modern touches that enhanced the food. The paired wine pours were very generous and I saw some of the other tables get seconds of the wines. I was sad to let go of a lot of the wine but knew I had to since we had a Copain tasting lined up next. I highly recommend having lunch here if you can fit it in your schedule and looking for a special treat.

Luxuriously high ceilings, recent remodel

Finally, a menu that I can take a photo of to explain all the food coming up

The white garnish was cold and refreshing

Really interesting dish. The greens were crisp and had a nice bite. The fish was lightly smoked and had a really good flavor, and that sauce... oh so good.

Really pretty dish, this photo did not do it justice. I love grilled/smoke flavors. One of my table mates felt like it was too aggressively charred.

Very generous portion of lamb which was very tender with gushy fat with a seared crispy surface. Went well with their bold pinot noir (which was very different than the other pinots from this trip).

Cheese course: the Red Hawk cheese from cowgirl cremery was whipped into a spread and all the different components worked well.

Dessert was light and worked really well for the lunch. Lots of different textures to go with the creamy panna cotta. Really enjoyed this one. You can tell how much wine was left over... such a shame =(

Their grounds were really pretty and well groomed, something I associate more with Napa than Sonoma.

Copain: one of the best tastings we had from the weekend, sad that it was our last. Michael Armstrong was really fun to taste with and we went through a ridiculous line up of wine. We first visited the winery in 2010 and really enjoyed our visit. Since then they have been purchased by Jackson Family Wines which gives them the ability to pick and choose from the large portfolio of vineyards to make wine from. I think the wine quality and style has improved since our last visit where they were getting press for their value under $25 RRV pinot noir. Luckily my wine budget has gone up since I'm no longer a student so that I can enjoy some of the nicer wines. This visit ticks all the boxes for our group: killer chards, awesome pinot noir, tasty syrahs wrapped up in the package of beautiful views and tasting room. The only problem here is that they have so many different wines that by the end I realized that my palate was gone and my memory of what I tasted was a bit foggy. Bad problem to have, I know. I tried to dump the wines but they were so damn tasty that I ended up drinking most of it. Next time I need to pace myself and write notes. After this tasting we hung around for a bit playing Cards of Humanity and then we all took a nap before dinner.

Group photo showcasing how naturally beautiful the scenery was here. Behind us you can look into the valley with the river going through. One of my favorite wineries to visit.

Dinner at Dry Creek Kitchen: We received very slow service that night and noticed that there were only a few servers for the pretty large dining area we were in. Thankfully we were all a bit wined out and not very hungry. We all thought the chocolate cake that came with the foie gras was pretty odd and did not match well. This was in contrast to our lunch where all the components were harmonious and well thought out. At this restaurant I felt like the touches were mainly done to be different and not necessarily more delicious. I would recommend Chalkboard or Valette over this restaurant.

The funky chocolate cake with foie. Missed opportunity with good quality ingredients.

The flavor of protein was hidden behind the heavy use of curry.

Pasta was decent and felt very spring inspired. I'm a sucked for pasta.

The scallops were cooked well, best dish from here.

< Message edited by Vietty -- 5/16/2017 10:01:57 AM >

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 6
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/11/2017 6:54:53 PM   
wine247365

Vietty, Thank you very much for the detailed notes! My wife and I will be heading there Memorial Day weekend and we're already discussing the ideas from your thread.

The number of bottles I buy is nothing in comparison to the bottles I don’t buy. Let’s have a little perspective please.

(in reply to Vietty)
Post #: 7
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/14/2017 7:05:05 AM   
River Rat

[image]pastephotobucketdirectimagelinkhere[/image]

Great write-up! Only time we went to DCK was likely our last as well. Much better value around here.

(in reply to wine247365)
Post #: 8
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/16/2017 10:05:17 AM   
Vietty

quote:

ORIGINAL: River Rat

[image]pastephotobucketdirectimagelinkhere[/image]

Great write-up! Only time we went to DCK was likely our last as well. Much better value around here.

Thanks for clarifying. Updated all the posts with pictures. Sorry for the slow drip of content, takes a while to write everything up and then post. Was fun to go though the trip and look at the photos again. Hope this helps others on their upcoming trips.

(in reply to River Rat)
Post #: 9
RE: Sonoma Trip Success! - 5/16/2017 12:05:09 PM   
bretrooks

Lots of fun to follow along with your trip, thanks for posting. Looks like you all had a great time!

WSET L3 in Wines
My Cellar

(in reply to Vietty)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Sonoma Trip Success! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI