CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/25/2017 7:05:19 PM   
S1

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

Then you get super-sweet with super-sweet, no contrast at all. With a custard, the creamy texture contrasts with the acidity of the wine. I don't know the Knoll, but given the classification, it seems to me that the same observation would apply.

You could solve this by going with the cobbler and the Sauternes, but also (simultaneously), having them serve coffee. Then you get the sweet dessert and the sweet wine, but the coffee would be a kind of counterpoint. Bitter and very distinct. Espresso, maybe. Decaf doesn't change the flavor, if you worry about being up all night...

this
Pairing rule #1 with sweet wines is that the wine should be sweeter than the accompanying food.
I love Sauternes with peach cobbler, but I make the cobbler almost savory.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 31
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/25/2017 7:10:35 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: smaragd

Ok, two of you mentioned Guiraud sauternes specifically and Eric above cited the "guiraud style"

I'm curious how you think of Guiraud compared to other sauternes.

I've found Guiraud to be a little on the unctuous side as far as body / texture, and lighter on acidity than my favorite which is Suduiraut.

quote:

I have never had Guiraud but have a 2005 waiting to open.

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=218917

I'd advise opening it at least 24 hours ahead of time. I found the 2005 to be less unctuous than most of the other vintages I've tried before ('95, '97, '03). I have a note on that page linked to above.

quote:

BUMP still want an answer to my Guiraud Sauternes question darnit! :) Having a dinner party tomorrow and wondering if I should serve it.

Open it immediately so the aldehyde smell disperses.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 32
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/25/2017 7:41:38 PM   
Smaragd

quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

Ok, two of you mentioned Guiraud sauternes specifically and Eric above cited the "guiraud style"

I'm curious how you think of Guiraud compared to other sauternes.

I've found Guiraud to be a little on the unctuous side as far as body / texture, and lighter on acidity than my favorite which is Suduiraut.

quote:

I have never had Guiraud but have a 2005 waiting to open.

https://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=218917

I'd advise opening it at least 24 hours ahead of time. I found the 2005 to be less unctuous than most of the other vintages I've tried before ('95, '97, '03). I have a note on that page linked to above.

quote:

BUMP still want an answer to my Guiraud Sauternes question darnit! :) Having a dinner party tomorrow and wondering if I should serve it.

Open it immediately so the aldehyde smell disperses.

Oh interesting.

More unctuous/ less acidic means I have the wrong Sauternes for me! But if you say 2005 was better.. hmm

Tell me what you mean by "open Immediately". Like tonight, for tomorrow? or an hour before drinking?
Will it be enjoyable the next day, after a night in the fridge?

Thanks to OP for letting me hijack

< Message edited by smaragd -- 8/25/2017 7:54:28 PM >

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 33
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/25/2017 8:04:55 PM   
KPB

For this particular situation, you could pull the cork, pour a sample, then recork and leave it in the fridge until tomorrow.

< Message edited by KPB -- 8/25/2017 8:05:18 PM >

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Smaragd)
Post #: 34
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/25/2017 10:02:51 PM   
AfleetAlex

This is a job for Riesling.

Trying to amass a dope wine collection to leave to Child #1, 2 and 3, while drinking a little along the way.

(in reply to wine4wine)
Post #: 35
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/26/2017 6:23:18 AM   
Sourdough

Went to an Indian restaurant last night and took a Weimer Semi-Dry Riesling. It was somewhat mature as a 2010 vintage. Very good with spicy food!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 36
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/26/2017 8:49:56 AM   
champagneinhand

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sourdough

Went to an Indian restaurant last night and took a Weimer Semi-Dry Riesling. It was somewhat mature as a 2010 vintage. Very good with spicy food!

Fred, who now owns and operates Weimer,mis a staunch advocate of using almost no wine sulfur or preservatives. While he uses some, he makes his wines for immediate consumption upon release though they will easily hold 5-6 years. We like his wines a lot. He makes an amazing BA and TBA style of Riesling in special years. He has very goood vineyards. He's a big pioneer in the area of having a room dedicated to keeping good insects alive even in the coldest Winters. Black flower wasps and praying mantis.

In most cases even Riesling marked dry are a safe bet here that they will drink more like Kabinett when it comes to residual sugar. It's just too hard to do bone dry without having ABV get overwhelming or killing off the yeasts used.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to Sourdough)
Post #: 37
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/26/2017 3:34:39 PM   
Sourdough

Hi CiH!

Thanks for the comments. Bought that wine at the winery in June. I thiught the Weimer wines were consistently well made. Had a great time. Found about a dozen wineries we really liked.

Salud!
Jay

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 38
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/26/2017 7:22:50 PM   
djlevin

I am a huge fan of what my local restaurants here call "Thai Hot". High on the scale of spicy Thai food. Lighter lager and Kolsch beers pair well, but when I choose wine, a sweet & spicy Gewurtz can be an awesome choice. I have truly enjoyed some of these pairings. I have found the very high acidity in most sweet rieslings enhances the spice a little too much for me.

What if there were no hypothetical questions? - Anonymous

Didn't I ever tell you? Bumbles Bounce! - Yukon Cornelius

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 39
RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? - 8/26/2017 8:00:39 PM   
Smaragd

Side note - Thanks for your help re: the sauternes, we ended up having a 2001 Traminer Beerenauslese (Knoll) which was a great acidic and honeyed match to white peach cobbler. Guiraud another day!

(in reply to djlevin)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> RE: Which wine pairs with spicy food? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI