CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Monday October 16th Hartford: Peppercorns

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Monday October 16th Hartford: Peppercorns Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Monday October 16th Hartford: Peppercorns - 9/2/2017 12:30:00 PM   
Wineguy55

I have been arranging a lot of offlines lately in Ct with pretty good success for turnouts. We skipped September as it was a busy time for everyone but would like to see if we can get something going for October. We have had past events at Salute Dish and Avert. Willing to try one of those again or some place new. I wouldn't mind doing Peppercorn if they are willing to work with us. Anyway who's interested ? Past attendees as well as newbies both welcome.

Attendees:

1. Jonathan Sirot
2. Tad Witherington
4. Dennis and Windy Kanagie
5. Jay Presbie
6. Joe Neri

I will contact Joe Neri and see if he can attend. If he does that would be our exact same group as last time. We do have room for several more though.

< Message edited by Wineguy55 -- 10/11/2017 11:45:13 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone Up for another Hartford Ct Offline Late Sept... - 9/2/2017 12:37:20 PM   
CranBurgundy

We might have to pass on this one. My company is opening a new store, and that's a lot of extra work for me. Plus, Tuesdays are tougher for us since both my wife and I work on Wednesday and that drive home would be too risky after inhaling that much wine.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 2
Can we round up a group for an October offline in Hartf... - 9/7/2017 10:57:52 PM   
Wineguy55

We skipped September as peoples schedules were very busy but would like to see if we can wrangle up a group for October maybe on a Monday or a Tuesday. Flexible on location

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 3
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/10/2017 8:07:53 AM   
twither

The first two weeks of October (Monday or Tuesday) would work for me. I liked both Salute and Dish, but would be fine with any local venue.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 4
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/10/2017 8:13:11 AM   
CranBurgundy

If it's a Monday we're almost definitely in, whether a different place or not.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to twither)
Post #: 5
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/10/2017 10:23:07 PM   
Wineguy55

Great to see your responses Tad, Dennis and Windy . I think a Monday on first or 2nd week of October will work. I will check with Jay and Joe. I have a few ideas for theme. We could keep it open like we usually do, or if others are willing I have been mulling over arranging a slightly higher end event where we bring bottles of a bit higher value. In this case I would offer up a 1978 Mouton Rothschild . I would also be willing to bring a champagne probably a 1996 Dom. Since everyone has a different budget we could all agree on a minimum value if we went with this theme. I am flexible either way and it is more important we all agree and attend than anything else

< Message edited by Wineguy55 -- 9/10/2017 10:24:57 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/10/2017 10:38:15 PM   
CranBurgundy

If we go that route I have Ponsot Chappelle-Chambertin to offer, including '95 in 750ml and '07 in both 750ml and 1.5L format. I have '02 Clos de la Roche too, but that would be a crime to open right now.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 7
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/17/2017 9:50:00 AM   
Wineguy55

Bump anyone else interested ?

Post #: 8
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/19/2017 5:31:52 PM   
Wineguy55

I messaged Tad and he is in with a 2001 Ornellaia. There are four of us right now and I will check with Jay and Joe to see if they are interested. If anyone else is interested we still have room.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 9
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/19/2017 6:28:07 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wineguy55

I messaged Tad and he is in with a 2001 Ornellaia.

Nice!

Monday 10/2 is our preferred date, only because 10/9 is Columbus Day and my company will probably be running a sale. That means it's possible I'll have to work.

On top of the '95 Ponsot Chapelle-Chambertin, I can offer up a '97 Potel Clos de la Roche if Burgundy is desired.

However, with Tad's Ornellaia and your Mouton Rothschild, we could keep it all Bordeaux for reds. In that case, I have 3 choices that would work well:

1990 Chateau La Louviére
1995 Vieux Chateau Certan
1995 Grand Puy LaCoste

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 10
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/20/2017 6:53:51 AM   
twither

Sorry, but it looks like 10/2 is not going to work for me. My mother was recently hospitalized and I will be visiting with her and my dad in VA. I can do 10/9 or 10/16....

Post #: 11
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/20/2017 7:00:50 AM   
Wineguy55

Monday October 2nd shall be the official date by decree.
I think it would be nice to try the Ponsot as I have never had one and am a relative burgundy neophyte as for the 2nd wine lets see if Jay and Joe are coming and what they can bring before we make a 2nd pick if that's ok.
quote:

ORIGINAL: CranBurgundy

quote:

I messaged Tad and he is in with a 2001 Ornellaia.

Nice!

Monday 10/2 is our preferred date, only because 10/9 is Columbus Day and my company will probably be running a sale. That means it's possible I'll have to work.

On top of the '95 Ponsot Chapelle-Chambertin, I can offer up a '97 Potel Clos de la Roche if Burgundy is desired.

However, with Tad's Ornellaia and your Mouton Rothschild, we could keep it all Bordeaux for reds. In that case, I have 3 choices that would work well:

1990 Chateau La Louviére
1995 Vieux Chateau Certan
1995 Grand Puy LaCoste

Post #: 12
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/20/2017 10:19:48 AM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

Monday October 2nd shall be the official date by decree.
I think it would be nice to try the Ponsot as I have never had one and am a relative burgundy neophyte as for the 2nd wine lets see if Jay and Joe are coming and what they can bring before we make a 2nd pick if that's ok.

Ponsot it is then!

However, the second wine we'll be bringing is going to be white, and most likely a JJ Prüm. That's the official decree from my wife.

.... now, if we're talking a 3rd bottle.....

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 13
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/23/2017 10:35:37 AM   
Wineguy55

Monday October 16th is the agreed upon date for everyone. Would people like to stay with Salute which might be tempting on account of good value private room {assuming same as last time} and great deal for corkage or try somewhere else ?

Post #: 14
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 9/29/2017 10:05:37 AM   
CranBurgundy

Have we decided on the place yet? I want to get a room within walking distance.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 15
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/4/2017 4:30:23 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

Have we decided on the place yet? I want to get a room within walking distance.

A few thoughts: Stay with Salute as service food and value are all top notch.

OR : Have heard good things about Bear's Smokehouse a barbecue place near the convention center that features BYOB. They might be less than $10 corkage or free I will have to check. Their prices are very reasonable

OR: Harlan Brasserie inside the newly refurbished Harlan hotel

What are your thoughts ??

Post #: 16
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/4/2017 5:02:06 AM   
CranBurgundy

We like BBQ, but that might drown out the wines we're planning on bringing. Either of the other options would be fine, but we'll go anywhere the group wants.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 17
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/6/2017 5:35:23 PM   
twither

I thought Salute was great last time, and would be happy to return. I haven't been to Harlan, and would be interested in checking it out. I'm with Dennis on the Bear option.... So either Salute or Harlan.

Post #: 18
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/6/2017 7:15:50 PM   
CranBurgundy

One of the future dates would be great at the BBQ place, but that's when we do something like New World fantastic-bombastic night.

Is the Harlan Brasserie in the Goodwin? We stayed there last time.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to twither)
Post #: 19
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/6/2017 9:09:53 PM   
Wineguy55

Yes the Harlan Brasserie is in the Goodwin Hotel. I have been wanting to try the place also. I will call them on Monday and see if they are interested in having us and if they will work with us on corkage. Based on that will probably decide within a day or two after. On20 was tempting but they are not open Mondays

< Message edited by Wineguy55 -- 10/6/2017 9:12:46 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/9/2017 11:48:55 AM   
Wineguy55

I tried calling the person they said could help me at Harlan Brasserie but she couldn't give me an answer. She said they normally don't do byob but that she would check with the GM and find out if it could be arranged. Hopefully they will have an answer in the next day or two. If not I will pick somewhere else.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 21
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/10/2017 4:58:40 PM   
CranBurgundy

So what's the verdict? We still need to rent a room.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 22
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/11/2017 5:02:31 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

Sorry its taken so long. The folks at Harlan brasserie were supposed to get back to me. I will give them one last shot and give my contact a call back. If they have no answer we will go with another choice. Will decide today by end of day

Post #: 23
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/11/2017 11:30:13 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

quote:

Sorry its taken so long. The folks at Harlan brasserie were supposed to get back to me. I will give them one last shot and give my contact a call back. If they have no answer we will go with another choice. Will decide today by end of day

They did get back to me and offered $25 per bottle corkage. I asked if they could work with us on multiple bottles. They now have to check again. I don't mind finding out for a future event but wanted to make a decision sooner than later. I called up Peppercorns and within minutes we had worked out for their regular $25 per bottle to be reduced to $10 per bottle. I am very happy with that and decided we should go with them. I have eaten there several times been happy and they have been in business a long time

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 24
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/11/2017 11:34:25 AM   
CranBurgundy

So Peppercorns it is! Got a link to their site so I can get their address?

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 25
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/11/2017 11:43:50 AM   
Wineguy55

quote:

Here ya go

www.peppercornsgrill.com Ask and ye shall receive

Post #: 26
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/11/2017 1:21:12 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

quote:

Here ya go

www.peppercornsgrill.com Ask and ye shall receive

Excellent! Thank Jonathan. All we need now is the reservation time.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to Wineguy55)
Post #: 27
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/11/2017 2:23:39 PM   
racerchris

quote:

So Peppercorns it is!

You're killin' me! I love Peppercorns. They have a dessert flight of Grand Marnier with 20, 50, and 125 year old, or something like that.
I've been sick for a couple days and having trouble keeping up the pace at work, so I'm even farther behind schedule.
Which means I'll have no free time for the next 2 months or more. Otherwise I'd be totally up for this.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

Post #: 28
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/11/2017 2:53:21 PM   
CranBurgundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: racerchris

Otherwise I'd be totally up for this.

It's just a few hours. You KNOW you want to join in.

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

(in reply to racerchris)
Post #: 29
RE: Can we round up a group for an October offline in H... - 10/15/2017 2:53:47 PM   
Wineguy55

Looking forward to seeing everyone at 6:30 tomorrow night at Peppercorns. Jay will not be coming Joe is 90 percent sure will confirm with him shortly
Either way we will have 6 bottles at least or 7 assuming Joe is joining. Cheers

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Monday October 16th Hartford: Peppercorns Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI